PDA

View Full Version : Anti Arcane Diety

ramunch
2014-03-21, 04:58 PM
Is there a Diety (preferably in Greyhawk) that is anti arcane spell casters?

If not for those who have way more DnD 3.5 material memorized than I do what domains would thematically fit with a cleric who believes magic should be only granted by nature or deities not through arcane means?

I have a friend who is wanting to create a character in the image of teh Grand Abolisher from MTG (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Grand%20Abolisher)

Not too worried about super optimization, as long as he's not licking the floor while we fight we're probably good :-)

Darkweave31
2014-03-21, 05:03 PM
Ironically the magic domain, maybe slightly re-flavored, would be good since most of its spells protect from or destroy magic... don't know of an anti-magic deity though

Falcon X
2014-03-22, 01:06 AM
I don't think there is directly a deity that is anti-mage. So, what you are going to look for is a deity that's portfolio lends itself to a deviant, anti-mage sect being born out of it.
For example,
- Zodal is a god of benevolence. The nature of arcane magic is that it comes from either within or from intense impersonal study. Therefore one could view arcane magic as an entirely selfish study. Selfishness is an opposite of benevolence.
- Daoud is a god of humility. Similar reasoning as Zodal.
- Stratus was a god of war. A sect could believe that this means only martial warfare, or that since Stratus died, no magic flows out of him to his followers. Thus, his followers should hunt down all those who can do things you can't.

If you are evil, you may consider going straight to Tharizdun. He's the only enemy of Boccob because Boccob thinks he's draining the world of magic.
In this case, you wouldn't hate magic, just anyone casting it except your people.

Also, don't forget to check out the Occult Slayer (CW) and Consecrated Harrier (CD) prestige classes.
And if he's a paladinesque character, he'll have a better time with Crusader (ToB) than a straight Paladin.
But, if you must go Paladin, look at the Aternate class features of Curse Breaker and Divine Counterspell (CM)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-03-22, 01:22 AM
I'm no expert on Greyhawk deities, but I did find this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greyhawk_deities). After looking through it, I doubt such a deity exists, considering there's so few game mechanics specifically opposed to arcane magic that don't also affect divine magic.

I'd be sure to use one that has the Protection domain, as its spell list looks perfect for defending against arcane spells.

Falcon X
2014-03-22, 01:53 AM
This is definitely more Forgotten Realms than Greyhawk, but you might get an idea:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Ao
I recently wrote a bit of fanfiction involving a young lady who worshiped Lord Ao. Lord Ao is unique because, despite being the overgod, he has few followers and he grants no spells to those who are his followers.
So, this girl digs up writings about an ancient god named Ao and decides to be his priestess.
To simulate the interaction, I made it similar to how the Christian faithful interact with their god. Lot's of prayer, rare but profound miracles, and insight into skills, the future, and the world around them.
So, this looked like a modified Factotum. Her insights turned into subtle blessings, as she found herself just naturally good at many things. Arcane dillitante was severely restricted to rituals she learned and a rare, given miracle.

Lord Ao or someone like him is an interesting option.