PDA

View Full Version : Pronunciation

mport2004
2007-02-03, 10:36 PM
How do pronounce Vaarsuvius?

Krellen
2007-02-03, 10:39 PM
I've always pronounced it like the volcano, except with an 'ar' instead of an 'e'.

mport2004
2007-02-03, 10:43 PM
Thanks
Thats what I do too

skinkatlarge
2007-02-04, 03:43 AM
Yup, same here. Sometimes I'll mentally pronounce the "aar" like a pirate.

Caractacus
2007-02-04, 03:48 AM
Yup, same here. Sometimes I'll mentally pronounce the "aar" like a pirate.

Same here.

On another tack (but related), have you noticed that people confuse Pompey and Pompeii?

I'm pretty sure that The Giant has done this deliberately (to accentuate the parallel between the two spellcasters), butt he pronunciation of these is different.

Pompeii (Roman town engulfed by lava from vesuvius) = pom + pay
Pompey (one of the men in the late Roman RepublicTrumvirate) = pom + pi

Darkuwa
2007-02-04, 04:28 AM
I pronounce it in a way I know to be wrong. I say vah sue vee us. I just say it that way cause I misread if for a long time. I do the same this with Fistandantilus from dragonlance, I misread if as Fistaldonus. Same with Betancore from Eisanhorn, I call him Bentacore.

starwoof
2007-02-04, 04:39 AM
Pompeii (Roman town engulfed by lava from vesuvius) = pom + pay
Pompey (one of the men in the late Roman RepublicTrumvirate) = pom + pi
Im Pomp-pi the wizard man!

toot toot!

Wheres me spinach!

Actually I had no idea that would be how Pompey's name would be pronounced. I also have a tendency to change pronounciation when reading to make it easier for me. Like how most forum monkers arent words but I rponounce them anyway... even numbers! :smallbiggrin:

Demented
2007-02-04, 05:16 AM
"Pom-Pee", "Pomp-Eye", or "Pom-Pay"?

Sir_Norbert
2007-02-04, 08:50 AM
I pronounce it in a way I know to be wrong. I say vah sue vee us.
Um? Unless I've misunderstood you, that is right.

Pompey is "pom-pee".

Tornek the Unhygenic
2007-02-04, 04:20 PM
Mine is definetly wrong

Vars-ver-iss

Thog's Puppy
2007-02-04, 04:23 PM
Obvisously the rest of u read the comics out loud. me i thankfully don't hehehe me so evil

Erathia
2007-02-04, 04:41 PM
Here is a pronounciation Guide for the more common characters, as composed by the Giant himself. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4992)

As for Pompei, I'd assume it's pom-PAY, like the city.

Lemur
2007-02-04, 05:10 PM
Our inelegant human tongues will inevitibly fail to produce the appropriate nuances to properly verbalize the elven language.

J_Muller
2007-02-04, 05:19 PM
I habitually mispronounce it as "Var-si-vus"

Lial Swiftlight
2007-02-04, 05:47 PM
Apparantly, I've always pronounced Vaarsuvious correctly (vahr-SOOV-ee-us). This makes me happy.

As for Pompey, I'll always pronounce is pom-pee, because that's a common nickname for the city I grew up in (as well as our local football team).

Caractacus
2007-02-04, 05:50 PM
Here is a pronounciation Guide for the more common characters, as composed by the Giant himself. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4992)

As for Pompei, I'd assume it's pom-PAY, like the city.

I still think it isn't:

1) It's not spelt like the city Pompey (personal name only) vs Pompeii (the name of the city)

2) Pompey was a real person, one of the Triumvirate: Brutus, Pompey and Caesar (as in Julius), if I remember correctly.

The pronunciation is different - at least in Latin and in English.

3) Finally, the name 'Vaarsuvuius' is clearly (or seemingly) modelled on Vesuvius to sound a little similar, so it makes sense for The Giant to cunningly take 'Pompey' as a foil for him as it also reminds us strongly of Pompeii (it has two 'i's in English...)

(I'm a classical historian by training and it's hard to shake! :smalltongue:)

atteSmythe
2007-02-05, 11:26 AM
I'm in the 'POM-pee' group - slightly off of either 'correct' pronunciation, just like Vaarsuvius' name.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-05, 12:03 PM
I always end up pronouncing Sabine as Sa-be-ne.

Too much Japanese classes for me it seems.

Haruki-kun
2007-02-05, 12:09 PM
Pom-pee
Vaahr-soo-vee-oos
Sah-been

I don't know if I'm right, though. But wasn't Sabine a real name?

Neopolis
2007-02-05, 12:11 PM
The real question, how do you pronounce Zzt'dri?

Sir_Norbert
2007-02-05, 12:21 PM
I pronounce it "ZZ-duh-tree". (The "ZZ" part is just buzzing, without any vowel sound.)

Caractacus
2007-02-06, 09:11 AM
I'm in the 'POM-pee' group - slightly off of either 'correct' pronunciation, just like Vaarsuvius' name.

Nah, you're absolutely right - my 'pi' meant like 'pee' but with a slightly shorter 'ee' sound...

The Zzd'tri one is really weird for me - I'm glad it looks like I got it right. It was coincidence, though, as Ihad no idea of the reference...

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-06, 11:11 AM
I pronounce it "ZZ-duh-tree". (The "ZZ" part is just buzzing, without any vowel sound.)

I usually pronounced it Zuh-drit-tee but when I think about it should be Zuh *short pause* tree.