PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Mighty Composite Bow?

firruna
2014-03-22, 05:08 AM
Hello all,
So I'm running an epic level game (3.5), and as I was looking at epic weapon enchantments I found a weapon on one the tables called a Longbow, Mighty Composite Longbow. Searching for it online, and in the Epic level handbook, all i can find is people talking about the idea of composite bows, but can't find the weapon, or what's special about it.

Can someone explain to me how it works and/or link me to where I can read about it from a Wizards book?

Thanks,
-Firruna

Agincourt
2014-03-31, 08:37 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#longbowComposite

Composite bows are described in the Player's Handbook. "Mighty" means the character can add their strength bonus up to the bonus listed. Ex. +2 mighty means the character must have at least +2 strength to wield it property but can only add up to 2 of the strength bonus.

cakellene
2014-03-31, 08:50 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#longbowComposite

Composite bows are described in the Player's Handbook. "Mighty" means the character can add their strength bonus up to the bonus listed. Ex. +2 mighty means the character must have at least +2 strength to wield it property but can only add up to 2 of the strength bonus.

I thought that was how all composite bows worked.

Andezzar
2014-03-31, 08:59 AM
I thought that was how all composite bows worked.You are right. The mighty +x property simply differentiates that composite bow from all the other composite bows that are adjusted to a different strength score.
If for example you have a STR of 14, you can use mighty +0,+1 and +2 composite bows without penalty, but a mighty +3 or more composite bow will give you -2 to hit.

Agincourt
2014-03-31, 08:59 AM
I thought that was how all composite bows worked.

I don't follow what you are saying. The OP asked how composite longbows worked. I answered.

You can have a composite longbow that is not "mighty." It will not add a strength bonus but will have a range increment of 110 feet instead of 100.

Vhaidara
2014-03-31, 09:02 AM
I think that the mighty prefix was a 3.0 mechanic. I'm basing this off of Arms and Equipment Guide's Mighty Whip.

In 3.5, you just have a composite longbow with a set Str bonus.

Telonius
2014-03-31, 09:07 AM
I think that the mighty prefix was a 3.0 mechanic. I'm basing this off of Arms and Equipment Guide's Mighty Whip.

In 3.5, you just have a composite longbow with a set Str bonus.

That's correct, it was. It's also one of the more subtle changes to archery between 3.0 and 3.5. In 3.0, the most you could get was a +4 from Strength. In 3.5, there's no cap; just keep adding 100gp per point of strength.

VoxRationis
2014-03-31, 11:21 AM
The whole "penalty if you use a high-Strength bow" thing is one of the interesting things where it got less convenient for people between AD&D and 3rd edition. In my AD&D book, it effectively says you just don't draw the string back as far. In 3.5, however, you have to get a new bow every time your Strength increases.
Does anyone houserule away that penalty?

Hiro Protagonest
2014-03-31, 11:52 AM
The whole "penalty if you use a high-Strength bow" thing is one of the interesting things where it got less convenient for people between AD&D and 3rd edition. In my AD&D book, it effectively says you just don't draw the string back as far. In 3.5, however, you have to get a new bow every time your Strength increases.
Does anyone houserule away that penalty?

Um, you only get the penalty if your strength is less than the bow's. If it's more you just cap out the damage modifier because the bow is too light to use your full strength.

VoxRationis
2014-03-31, 12:30 PM
Um, you only get the penalty if your strength is less than the bow's. If it's more you just cap out the damage modifier because the bow is too light to use your full strength.

Oh, yes, I know that. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

firruna
2014-04-01, 10:39 PM
So then what is different about the mighty bow? From what I gather from your posts, it's no different.

Bovine Colonel
2014-04-01, 10:41 PM
So then what is different about the mighty bow? From what I gather from your posts, it's no different.

You can't add Strength to damage with a regular composite bow, for one.

Eldaran
2014-04-01, 11:48 PM

Mighty is just the 3.0 term (Epic Level Handbook is from 3.0) for what 3.5 calls a composite longbow with a strength rating. It's not different.

firruna
2014-04-04, 11:16 PM
Mighty is just the 3.0 term (Epic Level Handbook is from 3.0) for what 3.5 calls a composite longbow with a strength rating. It's not different.
Ok, thanks.