PDA

View Full Version : What if Roy died?

sethdarkwater
2007-02-03, 11:47 PM
O.K so we all know that he won't, but the recent death of Shojo had me thinking about that. So if he died who would take charge as leader of the oots. My bets are Haley seeing on how thats what they did to save Elan from the bandits.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-03, 11:53 PM
Durkon. Durkon is the most responsible and he has known Roy for three years, so my bets are on him.

Athelian
2007-02-03, 11:54 PM
Though Durkon is Roy's best mate, Haley would take over, seeing as she lawfully is the second in command. Durkon would indeed submit himself to her hold over the group, due to his Lawful nature. Normally, I would think that they would disband, considering they formed solely for the completion of Roy's goals, but since they have been charged with the whole... save the world deal, they would continue on, most likely recruiting a new meat shield.

theKOT
2007-02-03, 11:55 PM
Yeah, Haley actually got voted second-in-command by pr-ORIGINS SPOILERS- so she would take over.

Arbitrarity
2007-02-03, 11:58 PM
Think this was done before...

Haley legally has it, though I'm not sure any of them would be a good leader.

Durkon's too conservative, low CHA.
Haley's a touch erratic (chaotic), though otherwise good.
Elan has high CHA, but he's... Elan.
V wouldn't care.
And don't mention Belkar. Please.

sethdarkwater
2007-02-03, 11:59 PM
Though Durkon is Roy's best mate, Haley would take over, seeing as she lawfully is the second in command. Durkon would indeed submit himself to her hold over the group, due to his Lawful nature. Normally, I would think that they would disband, considering they formed solely for the completion of Roy's goals, but since they have been charged with the whole... save the world deal, they would continue on, most likely recruiting a new meat shield.

Actually I wanted to add disbandment to the options but forgot.

Cantryboy
2007-02-04, 12:01 AM
Durkon seems the most level headed to me.

Demented
2007-02-04, 12:02 AM
Yeap, this has been covered before, sort of.
Basically, it's Haley. If she's really missing anything, it's that she's not a good meatshield and she doesn't know how to keep a leash on Belkar. Though I think she may be learning. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0327.html)

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-04, 12:26 AM
No more contracts, people. Haley is no longer legally second in command, so I think the person who Roy knows best would take command.

Wiione
2007-02-04, 12:27 AM
Durkon would probably be the best choice.

theKOT
2007-02-04, 12:30 AM
No more contracts, people. Haley is no longer legally second in command, so I think the person who Roy knows best would take command.
[ORIGINS SPOILERS!]It wasn't in the contracts Roy signed with the rest, it was a motion, non-written, voted upon by the rest of the oots in exchange for Haley not robbing them in the middle of the night.[/ORIGINS SPOILERS!]

sethdarkwater
2007-02-04, 01:01 AM
[ORIGINS SPOILERS!]It wasn't in the contracts Roy signed with the rest, it was a motion, non-written, voted upon by the rest of the oots in exchange for Miko not robbing them in the middle of the night.[/ORIGINS SPOILERS!]

Can't argue with that, nough said...

Demented
2007-02-04, 01:03 AM
Surely you mean Haley, not Miko.

sethdarkwater
2007-02-04, 01:05 AM
Ha ha ha ha ! So much for not being able to argue with that.

Krytha
2007-02-04, 01:07 AM
hasn't this thread been done already...

Haley

xyzchyx
2007-02-04, 01:15 AM
Answer: None of them.

Durkon would cast raise dead on Roy (he'd get the diamond if he didn't have one at the time), and then Roy would resume leadership.

sethdarkwater
2007-02-04, 01:34 AM
hasn't this thread been done already...

Haley

Yes, and your point being?

Erathia
2007-02-04, 01:36 AM
Answer: None of them.

Durkon would cast raise dead on Roy (he'd get the diamond if he didn't have one at the time), and then Roy would resume leadership.

I agree, I'd assume the party would all work together to bring Roy back, 80% because they felt like they had to and it was the right thing, 20% because Belkar was miffed he didn't get to off Roy himself.

Unless he did, then it'd be 100% of a slightly smaller group voting to bring him back.

Yzorth
2007-02-04, 01:39 AM
She took over when Roy decided not to help free Elan from the bandits. Remember?

Erathia
2007-02-04, 01:43 AM
True, but that was because Roy abdicated responsibilities, and also Elan was in danger. If Roy were to die rather than just leave, I'd lean more towards Durkon holding them together until he was raised.

Kish
2007-02-04, 01:45 AM
Surely you mean Haley, not Miko.
No, she told them that if they didn't make her second-in-command a fanatical monk/paladin would show up and rob them in the middle of the night. It was an effective threat.

hanzo66
2007-02-04, 02:10 AM
Belkar would be a horrible team leader. If it isn't for the Mark of Justice and the fact that it has seemingly never crossed his mind he would have betrayed them (Backstab them) for XP long after their formation.

HealthKit
2007-02-04, 02:25 AM
Actually I wanted to add disbandment to the options but forgot.

Aw, that's too bad, that's what I would have gone with. :smalltongue:

But of all the characters I'd say Durkon. He seems to be the calmest of the group and thinks things through the most.

Learnedguy
2007-02-04, 03:46 AM
Haley yeah, she's smart and charismatic, and she doesn't have a lack of wisdom either.

Andorxor
2007-02-04, 04:44 AM
Belkar would be the leader.
Because V wants to see how his protobrain reacts to leadership.
He bribes Haley.
Elan would vote for Banjo but nobody else will vote for him.
Durkon follows the mayority.

Khantalas
2007-02-04, 05:06 AM
I voted Durokan, just cause I'm curious who he (she?) is.

We have Dorukan, Durkon, but not Durokan.

Demented
2007-02-04, 05:13 AM
It's Durkon and Dorukan's secret lovechild, who will soon give Vaarsuvius the secret to ultimate arcane power.

Doglord
2007-02-04, 06:12 AM
Durkon is his best friend.

OOTS_Rules.
2007-02-04, 09:36 AM
The leader would be Thog.

Just kidding, it would be haley (Or would it?)

theKOT
2007-02-04, 11:32 AM
No, she told them that if they didn't make her second-in-command a fanatical monk/paladin would show up and rob them in the middle of the night. It was an effective threat.
Exactly. Who wouldn't give up when threatened by a thing like Miko?

No, I meant Haley, I was just tired and so used to typing Miko... bleargh. I've edited that post anyway.

sethdarkwater
2007-02-04, 11:36 AM
Belkar would be the leader.
Because V wants to see how his protobrain reacts to leadership.
He bribes Haley.
Elan would vote for Banjo but nobody else will vote for him.
Durkon follows the mayority.

Ah I see, the formula for ultimate chaos "excellent"...

Lord Zentei
2007-02-04, 11:45 AM
O.K so we all know that he won't, but the recent death of Shojo had me thinking about that. So if he died who would take charge as leader of the oots. My bets are Haley seeing on how thats what they did to save Elan from the bandits.

I'm split between Durkon and Haley.

Probably it will be Haley running things, with Durkon beng the solid support / main advisor she needs to keep things running smoothly.

So: Haley.

Querzis
2007-02-04, 12:27 PM
If Roy died the new leader would be resurected Roy, ghost Roy or the OOTS would disband. The only one who could actually do a good job is Durkon but he dont have enough charisma so nobody would ever listen to him.

Querzis
2007-02-04, 12:30 PM
She took over when Roy decided not to help free Elan from the bandits. Remember?

Yeah and you actually think she did a good job? If Roy woudnt have come back to save them, they would have all died.

Lord Zentei
2007-02-04, 12:33 PM
Yeah and you actually think she did a good job? If Roy woudnt have come back to save them, they would have all died.

As long as she has Durkon on hand to support and advise her, she should be OK. The reason why Durkon cannot simply take over personally is his not being a leader-type.

EDIT: on second thought, though, Durkon seems able to handle Belkar pretty well, and easily convinced Haley to join the trip to Azure city despite her not wanting to. And he was pretty good handling Julia. :smallconfused:

On second thoguht, I'm changing my vote to Durkon, then.

vanyell
2007-02-04, 12:33 PM
I did not vote. he is a PC. he will be res'ed
that simple

Lord Zentei
2007-02-04, 12:47 PM
I did not vote. he is a PC. he will be res'ed
that simple

Lame! :smalltongue:

What if he is captured or his soul is bound somehow, then?

kpenguin
2007-02-04, 01:07 PM
Roy would be ressurected at some point, but I see "side-quest" written all over this. IF Roy were to die, there would probably be some odd circumstances that would prevent him from being raised and thus the OotS would have to go on a little side-quest to ressurect him. In the meantime, I believe that while Haley would originally assume leadership, Durkon's friendship with Roy and wisdom would make him the de facto leader. Durkon would be the one pushing to raise Roy and would guide Haley's decisions.

mikeejimbo
2007-02-04, 01:37 PM
Durkon would be the one pushing to raise Roy and would guide Haley's decisions.

That makes a lot of sense. Durkon wouldn't upset the natural balance, but he would push Haley to do the right thing. And I think Haley and Durkon both respect each other, so it would work out.

Haruki-kun
2007-02-04, 02:02 PM
Haley's already second-in-command right? Remember the thieves in the forest?
although I guess durkon would be a close second too.............

HealthKit
2008-11-15, 02:02 AM
Oh my Gods, BUMP!!!

factotum
2008-11-15, 03:42 AM
Reason for bumping ancient thread?

David Argall
2008-11-15, 04:34 AM
As now can be seen, the correct answer is none of the above as the Order falls apart without Roy.

dps
2008-11-15, 04:56 AM
As now can be seen, the correct answer is none of the above as the Order falls apart without Roy.

Hmm, it's not at all clear that they would have fallen apart if Haley and Belkar had managed to get back to the dock before Hinjo's junk sailed.

Kaytara
2008-11-15, 05:53 AM
Hmm, it's not at all clear that they would have fallen apart if Haley and Belkar had managed to get back to the dock before Hinjo's junk sailed.

Yeah. The Order broke apart, geographically, when they got separated, and now they're just sort of drifting about with no set direction - or rather, a set direction, but no way to get there. The only actual breaking that's happening now is Haley rightfully ditching Belkar and Vaarsuvius less rightfully ditching Durkon and Elan.
If Belkar and Haley had made it to the boats in time but the party was still left without a leader for some reason - say, they hadn't managed to recover Roy's body - Vaarsuvius certainly wouldn't have had such an urgent reason to go all bonkers, and if he did, Haley's influence should've been more than enough to set him right. And Belkar, in the company of a person who makes him laugh and someone he sort of respects for nanoseconds at a time, may well have shown more restraint. Moreover, the MoJ setting off would've been a matter of distance to Roy rather than his own fault.

Pronounceable
2008-11-15, 10:37 AM
Holy unholy necromancy, Batman!

That said if they weren't seperated at the city's fall, it wouldn't have been this interesting... Probably.

reignofevil
2008-11-15, 10:43 AM
This is an interesting time capsule of what people thought before... this...

NerfTW
2008-11-15, 01:00 PM
Oh my Gods, BUMP!!!

What, precisely, was your point in bumping this? It's almost two years old.

This is worse than the person who bumped the "Will Miko become a black guard?" thread after six months just to say "Oh, it's a moot point now!" when she died.

Bumping a thread just to say "Hey look!" should be considered spam, unless you actually added something to the discussion.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-11-15, 01:48 PM
I think the added value to this bit of thread necromancy is how far off people were in their guesses...

Elan anded up as the nominal leader of Elan/Durkon/Vaarsuvius, while Haley ended up in charge of Haley/Belkar/Celia. And Celia wasn't even mentioned in any of the posts I read. (True, I could have missed one, and I'm sure the internet ninjas will point out the error of my ways in a few minutes!)

Also, most folks saw Roy's death as a small/short/brief/mini-arc. Hmm... A bit longer than that, I think. :smallamused:

I still don't see the end game to all this, although we have forty-sixty strips left in this arc, we have passed the halfway point of Book 4 without Roy. I certianly hope we're not looking at a LotR situation where the Fellowship doesn't get back together until AFTER the fall of Sauron!

Spiky
2008-11-15, 01:51 PM

Hmmm. A little surprised by this lack of detail from you, David.

The party was driven apart physically by war and specifically the Cloister spell. And even by Roy's direction during the war. Haley was second in command at strip #1 and still is. She has proved a leader since for her group, even expanding to attempt to lead fighting factions of guerrillas. As The Life of Brian has shown us, that is just not going to work. She isn't as good as Roy, but not horrible, even overcoming difficulties with Celia's and Belkar's attitudes/beliefs.

The other half, with no leader at all (other than an outsider in Hinjo for a bit), has certainly fallen apart. And you can see the contrast with this part of the OOTS, where attitudes and beliefs of the 3 members have ripped them apart with no leadership.

lord of pixies
2008-11-15, 02:25 PM
if yor read on the Orgin of PCs it clearly states that haley is second in comand.

Roland St. Jude
2008-11-16, 12:11 AM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Locked Thread Necromancy.