PDA

View Full Version : Initiative traits

Indoril
2007-02-04, 03:52 AM
Because not enough things boost initiative. Tell me what you think, post any other ideas you might have, etc.

Jumpy
You are nervous and paranoid, and are more ready for danger.
Benefit
You recieve a +2 bonus to Initiative.
Drawback
You receive a -4 penalty to all saves against fear.
---Contributed to by SHAZZBAA---

Jittery
You become nervous and often tremble under pressure.
Benefit
You receive a +3 bonus to Initiative.
Drawback
You receive a -2 penalty to all ranged attack rolls, and you receive a -2 penalty to Dexterity-based skills when threatened or distracted.

Uneasy
You tend to have 'gut feelings' about dangerous situations.
Benefit
You receive a +2 bonus to Initiative.
Drawback
At the start of combat roll a Fortitude save (DC 12 + 1 for every enemy beyond the first in the encounter). If you fail, you are sickened for one round.

Ready for Action
You are constantly on your toes, ready for a fight.
Benefit
Drawback
You receive a -4 penalty to Diplomacy checks.

Scheming
You like to plan ahead, and tend to do better in predictable situations.
Benefit
You receive a +2 bonus to Initiative any time you are granted a surprise combat round.
Drawback
You receive a -2 penalty to Initiative any time an opponent is granted a surprise combat round against you.

Quick-Witted
You are better at thinking on your toes, and could do without plans.
Benefit
You receive a +2 bonus to Initiative any time an opponent is granted a surprise combat round against you.
Drawback
You receive a -2 penalty to Initiative any time you are granted a surprise combat round.

Rama_Lei
2007-02-04, 06:01 PM
I like it. Very much so. Well done.

Indoril
2007-02-04, 08:47 PM
Why thank you. Soon as I sort out my massive and horribly disorganized homebrew folder I'll post more things.

Raistlin1040
2007-02-04, 09:39 PM
I like most of them other than quick-witted. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Indoril
2007-02-04, 11:00 PM
What would you change about it?

Myatar_Panwar
2007-02-04, 11:04 PM
Very creative, but why are there drawbacks? Feats are usually nothing but beneficial. Or are these flaws?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-04, 11:12 PM
Very creative, but why are there drawbacks? Feats are usually nothing but beneficial. Or are these flaws?

These are traits, which provide both benefits and drawbacks.

Indoril
2007-02-04, 11:44 PM
Yeah, what he said.

See Unearthed Arcana page 86 for more. Or, if someone would please provide a link to the appropriate section of the SRD...

Indoril
2007-02-04, 11:49 PM
I like most of them other than quick-witted. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

That's the one I was unsure about the drawback on by the way. I want the benefit to stay the same, but I just couldn't think of a good drawback. Maybe I should just drop the drawback and make Quick-Witted a Feat?

Miles Invictus
2007-02-05, 01:16 AM
Improved Initiative gives you a larger bonus, so your feat needs something special. How about this?

Quick-Witted
Prerequisite: Improved Initiative
Benefit: You may roll for initiative even when surprised, albeit at a -4 penalty. When not surprised, you gain a +2 bonus to initiative checks.
Normal: You may not act when surprised.

Indoril
2007-02-05, 01:22 AM
Quick-Witted
Benefit: You may roll for initiative even when surprised, at a -4 penalty. When not surprised, you gain a +2 bonus to initiative checks.

I like it. Thanks for the help.

Dhavaer
2007-02-05, 04:31 AM
Ready for Action might be a little too powerful, as not all characters will have to make Diplomacy checks. The others look good, though.

Indoril
2007-02-05, 07:37 AM
Ready for Action
Benefit
Drawback
You receive a -4 penalty to Bluff, Diplomacy, and Gather Information checks.

How's that?

Vispear
2007-02-05, 08:03 AM
Good job =]
I might use one of these on my next character.
Who..is going to be a sorcerer Rakshasha..=]
Who will eventually prestige into Dragon Deciple =]

Logic
2007-02-05, 08:49 AM
House Rule I employ.
Base Reflex Save added to initiative.
Rouges, Monks and Rangers go first (and mostly Fey-creatures from the monster side)
It takes little-to-no effort to implement either.

nonsens
2007-02-05, 12:38 PM
Yeah, what he said.

See Unearthed Arcana page 86 for more. Or, if someone would please provide a link to the appropriate section of the SRD...

found here on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm)

Raistlin1040
2007-02-05, 08:28 PM
Because not enough things boost initiative. Tell me what you think, post any other ideas you might have, etc.

Jumpy
You are nervous and paranoid, and are more ready for danger.
Benefit
You recieve a +2 bonus to Initiative.
Drawback
You receive a -4 penalty to all saves against fear.
---Contributed to by SHAZZBAA---
Good!

Jittery
You become nervous and often tremble under pressure.
Benefit
You receive a +3 bonus to Initiative.
Drawback
You receive a -2 penalty to all ranged attack rolls, and you receive a -2 penalty to Dexterity-based skills when threatened or distracted.
Good!

Uneasy
You tend to have 'gut feelings' about dangerous situations.
Benefit
Drawback
At the start of combat roll a Fortitude save (DC 12 + 1 for every enemy beyond the first in the encounter). If you fail, you are sickened for one round.
Good!

Ready for Action
Benefit
Drawback
You receive a -4 penalty to Diplomacy checks.
No. Not everyone makes Diplomancy checks so it's a free+2 for the quiet fighter or raging barbarian

Scheming
You like to plan ahead, and tend to do better in predictable situations.
Benefit
You receive a +2 bonus to Initiative any time you are granted a surprise combat round.
Drawback
You receive a -2 penalty to Initiative any time an opponent is granted a surprise combat round against you.
Good

Quick-Witted
You are better at thinking on your toes, and could do without plans.
Benefit
You receive a +2 bonus to Initiative any time an opponent is granted a surprise combat round against you.
Drawback
You receive a -2 penalty to Initiative any time you are granted a surprise combat round.
No. It doesn't make a lot of sense for two reasons. 1) They still act before you so it's not very useful and 2) Getting a -2 on init. in your suprise round still means you act before the monsters

Edits are in Bold

Indoril
2007-02-06, 12:43 AM
We fixed all that, read the other posts.

Improved Initiative gives you a larger bonus, so your feat needs something special. How about this?

Quick-Witted
Benefit: You may roll for initiative even when surprised, albeit at a -4 penalty. When not surprised, you gain a +2 bonus to initiative checks.

Ready for Action
Benefit
Drawback
You receive a -4 penalty to Bluff, Diplomacy, and Gather Information checks.

How's that?

Icewalker
2007-02-06, 01:20 AM
I like em. Useful traits, and a jumpy character is good for roleplaying, as well as my favorite, roleplaying the combat. What would the jumpy guy do?

The drawback for uneasy is a little wierd, I get the idea, 'gut feeling', but still, maybe there could be something else, maybe because you are uneasy you don't trust others, giving a minus to diplomacy, as well as/or some kind of reverse sense motive check to distrust someone even they are telling the truth.

Indoril
2007-02-06, 02:11 AM
How about a whole separate trait for that?

Distrustful
You have trust issues, and generally have a hard time believing anyone, even when they're telling the honest truth.
Benefit
You receive a +4 bonus to Sense Motive checks.
Drawback
Whenever anyone makes a Diplomacy roll against you, you must roll a Sense Motive check as well as a Diplomacy check. If your Sense Motive check beats your opponent's Diplomacy check, you do not believe them and your Diplomacy check fails.
Whenever you make a Gather Information check, you must also roll a Sense Motive check. If your Sense Motive roll beats your Gather Information roll, your Gather Information check fails.

I don't know though. That seems pretty harsh...being a self-defeating trait and all. You're great at telling when people are lying, but you think everyone's lying so it really doesn't help...

Should this be a flaw and just have no benefit?

Miles Invictus
2007-02-06, 09:31 AM
It's a good idea for a trait, but the mechanics are a bit complicated, and I don't think PCs are subject to the effects of Diplomacy. How does this tweaked version look?

Distrustful
You have serious trust issues. Your constant vigilance allows you to see even the most subtle of lies, but your paranoid nature makes it difficult to establish rapport with others.
Benefit
You receive a +4 bonus to Sense Motive checks.
Drawback
You receive a -4 penalty to Diplomacy and Gather Information checks.

Indoril
2007-02-06, 09:52 AM
That one's a bit cleaner.