PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Slang

infinitum3d
2014-03-31, 08:26 AM
Ok, so I've learned that BBEG stands for big bad evil guy, which is the same as a BOSS BATTLE.

And BUFFS are bonuses, like gauntlets of giant strength give a BUFF to your attack roll.

Can someone explain what "NERFS" are and what "STAT DAMAGE" is?

Thanks!

Talos
2014-03-31, 08:38 AM
hello I will do my best here. "Nerf" is a change in something that limits it. for example from one version to another when a rule set is changed for the worse. it is NERFED.

STAT DAMAGE is anything that lowers your stats. For example in DnD poisons do not do Hit point damage they do STAT damage. 1d6+2 of str damage from his poisoned blade.

Or i have seen DM's say that you have taken 1/4 of your HP in damage that was enough to break your leg. Your Dex in at a -2 until you heal up.

hope this helps you out.

Hytheter
2014-03-31, 08:46 AM
Ok, so I've learned that BBEG stands for big bad evil guy, which is the same as a BOSS BATTLE.

The BBEG isn't just a boss, it's more like the final boss, or the final boss' boss.

Red Fel
2014-03-31, 08:48 AM
hello I will do my best here. "Nerf" is a change in something that limits it. for example from one version to another when a rule set is changed for the worse. it is NERFED.

This. When you think of "nerf," think of the brand of toys. You ever see Nerf toys? They're great. They're just like real things (footballs, frisbees, guns, etc.) but made of soft foam, and therefore mostly harmless. To "nerf" something is to do that - to render it weak, harmless.

Etymological!

STAT DAMAGE is anything that lowers your stats. For example in DnD poisons do not do Hit point damage they do STAT damage. 1d6+2 of str damage from his poisoned blade.

In D&D, for example, there are actually several forms of "stat damage," which are interrelated and a bit confusing. The most common forms of ability score loss (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#abilityScoreLoss) - which is the more precise term for stat damage - are Ability Damage and Ability Drain. Ability Damage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#abilityDamage) is an attack which lowers an ability score (Strength, Wisdom, etc.) instead of hit points. Abilities damaged by this recover 1 point per day, or can be fixed by spells like Lesser Restoration. Ability Drain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#abilityDrain) is a more severe version; the reduction in abilities is permanent unless a more powerful spell like Restoration (not the lesser version) is used.

In other systems, different "stat damage" mechanics may be used. This is just one illustration.

As an aside, BBEG (big bad evil guy, you got that right) is a boss-type encounter. But it's not always a boss battle. In fact, some of the best BBEGs are never fought - a boss battle can be fairly anticlimactic within D&D mechanics, for instance.

Dorian Gray
2014-03-31, 09:57 AM

"Nerf" also applies when the DM changes something in-game to make something weaker. For example, the DM might rule that monks are totally overpowered and change their unarmed attack damage to that of a monk one size category smaller. :smallbiggrin:

supermonkeyjoe
2014-03-31, 10:05 AM
And BUFFS are bonuses, like gauntlets of giant strength give a BUFF to your attack roll.

Thanks!

Buffs are usually temporary bonuses, anything permanent is usually referred to as just a bonus. So casting Bulls strength or haste is a buff, gauntlets of giant strength give you a strength bonus.

Slipperychicken
2014-03-31, 11:01 AM
Buffs are usually temporary bonuses, anything permanent is usually referred to as just a bonus. So casting Bulls strength or haste is a buff, gauntlets of giant strength give you a strength bonus.

"Buff" can also refer to improving the power of a given option by changing the rules of the game. For example, a houserule which gives Fighters fullcasting would be considered a "buff to fighters". This usage is also found in online games like League of Legends ("They totally buffed [insert champion here] by increasing his attack speed").

Lord of Shadows
2014-03-31, 01:07 PM
There are a couple of abbreviations knocked around by the gamers here that I don't have a clear idea what they are:

RP/PSA - I get the "RP" is Role Play..but PSA?

AoE - something to do with combat, I think

Thanks in advance...

BWR
2014-03-31, 01:10 PM
AoE - area of effect

PSA: the only sensible one I can think of is Public Service Announcement.
I doubt prostate-specific antigen is correct.

Lord of Shadows
2014-03-31, 02:03 PM
AoE - area of effect

PSA: the only sensible one I can think of is Public Service Announcement.
I doubt prostate-specific antigen is correct.

Thanks... LOL

AoE could be area of effect, but I kinda got the impression it had to do with massive amounts of combat damage.

The RP/PSA is often used in the context of the difference between events being handled at the table and events being handled on a forum between sessions.

Also, I think these and some other acronyms I have heard come from the world of online gaming, like World of Warcraft, for one.

Red Fel
2014-03-31, 02:21 PM
Thanks... LOL

AoE could be area of effect, but I kinda got the impression it had to do with massive amounts of combat damage.

As BWR said, the only use of AoE I've encountered is Area of Effect. Generally, it refers to spells or abilities which influence an area, instead of a single target. (Although, as you can imagine, hitting multiple targets can produce massive amounts of damage.)

The term, as many in this thread, originates in MMOs, and is used in the same manner.

The RP/PSA is often used in the context of the difference between events being handled at the table and events being handled on a forum between sessions.

Also, I think these and some other acronyms I have heard come from the world of online gaming, like World of Warcraft, for one.

Yeah, I have no idea on RP/PSA. I know RP usually refers to "role play" (the RP in RPG), and PSA usually means "Public Service Announcement," but I have no idea what the two mean together. From the context you've suggested, it could be something like an online or forum-based campaign log or record. (Perhaps PSA stands for post-session... something? Post-session analysis?)

BWR
2014-03-31, 02:42 PM
AoE was a standard term in spell descriptions well before the day of MMOs.

Dorian Gray
2014-03-31, 03:26 PM
Yeah, most of the slang used by computer gamers comes from tabletop RPGs, which makes sense, given that computer games first evolved from TTRPGs.
Also, I'm certain that there is a thread somewhere on this board which is a dictionary of all the abbreviations and slang terms used here. I'll post a link if I can find it.
Edit: Found it! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?18512-Common-Acronyms-Abbreviations-and-Terms)

BWR
2014-03-31, 03:33 PM
I'll confes I've not come across a tabletop game where someone uses AoE as anything but an abbreviation for 'area of effect', iow talking about the area of an effect. Using it as a generic term for any effect with an area is something I first encountered in MMO-speak. People I know might say 'area spells' or 'area effects', but not 'AoEs' for such things. Maybe people I know are better at grammar than MMOers. :smalltongue:

Lord of Shadows
2014-03-31, 06:34 PM
I'll confes I've not come across a tabletop game where someone uses AoE as anything but an abbreviation for 'area of effect', iow talking about the area of an effect. Using it as a generic term for any effect with an area is something I first encountered in MMO-speak. People I know might say 'area spells' or 'area effects', but not 'AoEs' for such things. Maybe people I know are better at grammar than MMOers. :smalltongue:

Yeah, same here. I've always used "area spells" or just said "area of effect." I think the specific use of the "AoE" acronym came along with online gaming, with its chat windows and such.

Thanks!

CombatOwl
2014-03-31, 06:50 PM
Yeah, same here. I've always used "area spells" or just said "area of effect." I think the specific use of the "AoE" acronym came along with online gaming, with its chat windows and such.

Thanks!

Huh, every group I've been a part of has used it, since before MMOs were a big thing.