PDA

View Full Version : Board Issue [Avatars] I can't switch them off on the new boards?

Kiero
2014-03-31, 09:49 AM
New boards are great, added functionality and so on.

However, there appears to be a lost functionality: the ability to switch off the display of avatars. I'm fairly certain we used to be able to do this (makes for a much cleaner browsing experience), but can no longer.

The Giant
2014-03-31, 10:00 AM
We never had this function. It was available on vBulletin 3, but we had it disabled as part of our modifications to allow people to have their custom off-site avatars.

vBulletin 4 simply doesn't have this function at all, and we are not likely to spend time adding it.

Rawhide
2014-03-31, 10:02 AM
There was a little checkbox in the options proclaiming to turn off avatars, but it did nothing.

Cespenar
2014-03-31, 11:41 AM
There was a little checkbox in the options proclaiming to turn off avatars, but it did nothing.

Yes. The same checkbox existed in the previous system, and it worked pretty well, given how I always used it in public places and at work. The checkbox seems to exist here as well, but it doesn't do anything.

Honestly, it was an incredibly useful tool for me, and possibly for other people accessing the forum in one's workplace or in general public.

JSSheridan
2014-03-31, 06:48 PM
it reduced the required bandwidth a lot as well, and would work well for mobile users too.

but the our benevolent despot has spoken.

Kiero
2014-04-01, 06:41 AM
They were most definitely disable-able before.

No matter, I'll just use AdBlock to do it.

Rawhide
2014-04-01, 11:24 PM
I have added the ability to hide the display of avatars. This will only stop avatars from showing in threads. If you go to a user's profile, you will be able to see their avatar. Given that it only displays one avatar on that page, I figure that this will be a good way to see it when you want to without universally switching avatars on and off.

Larkas
2014-04-02, 01:09 AM
Weird, I can only find checkboxes for hiding signatures and other miscellaneous images, but nothing to hide avatars. Am I missing something?

Rawhide
2014-04-02, 01:42 AM
Weird, I can only find checkboxes for hiding signatures and other miscellaneous images, but nothing to hide avatars. Am I missing something?

Try again now.

Ailurus
2014-04-02, 05:28 AM
Thanks, Rawhide! Switching them off seems to be working for me at least.

Larkas
2014-04-02, 10:54 AM
Weird, I still don't see it. Should it be in Settings>My Account>General Settings>Thread Display Options>Visible Post Elements?

Oddman80
2014-08-12, 01:55 PM
Try again now.

I've tried doing this as well, but cannot find exactly where to go to allow me to turn off the in-thread avatars.
Sorry for posting to a 4 month old thread - but the question never seemed adressed when it was asked in April, either.

Rawhide
2014-08-14, 07:58 PM
I've tried doing this as well, but cannot find exactly where to go to allow me to turn off the in-thread avatars.
Sorry for posting to a 4 month old thread - but the question never seemed adressed when it was asked in April, either.

Click on Settings, then look for the My Settings sidebar. Under My Account, click on General Settings. Alternatively, just click on this direct link to General Settings (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions).

Scroll down to Thread Display Options, look for Visible Post Elements:. There you should see Show Signatures, Show Avatars, and Show Images.

Oddman80
2014-08-14, 11:05 PM
Well phew! I was thinking i must be an idiot for not being able to find it. But it turns out that I was looking in the right spot the whole time. The only problem is, when I go to where you mention, the only two options I have with check-boxes are

Show Signatures
Show Images (including attached images and images in code)

[I]You have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.

There is no option for avatars there.... this couldn't have anything to do with the Forum skin i am using - right? I'm using Playground Sand - but that is normal, right?

Rawhide
2014-08-14, 11:22 PM
Given that someone reported it as working, I wrote this off as completed. I have no idea why it was there for them and not for you. I'm afraid that this one may remain a mystery for a while, sorry.

Iruka
2014-08-15, 02:58 AM
Doesn't show up for me, either.

Rawhide
2014-08-15, 05:21 AM
Doesn't show up for me, either.

Hi, thank you, but before we get a swath of people chiming in, I'll just say now that it is unnecessary. The problem has been identified, it will just be a long time before I have a chance to look into it. It is a handy feature which I'd like to have working, but low priority.

Iruka
2014-08-15, 07:06 AM
Hi, thank you, but before we get a swath of people chiming in, I'll just say now that it is unnecessary. The problem has been identified, it will just be a long time before I have a chance to look into it. It is a handy feature which I'd like to have working, but low priority.

Ah, I'm sorry, I assumed the need for more feedback was why the thread is still open.

Bulldog Psion
2014-08-22, 07:51 PM
My problem is the opposite. I switched avatars off long ago. Now I want to switch them back on, and I can't. :smalleek:

Rawhide
2014-08-23, 10:26 AM
The checkbox should be there now. Try again.

Rawhide
2014-08-24, 10:07 PM
Since no one is replying, I'm just going to assume that this is working now until someone tells me otherwise. Thread resolved and closed.