PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Trying to understand Spell Rage/Rage Mage

LordFluffy
2014-03-31, 02:24 PM
I've got a Barbarian who I am planning to make a Sorceror and later, Rage Mage. I thought I had a handle on what the Spell Rage ability did, but can someone give me an example of play where a character is using spell rage, broken down by which ability is doing what?

1) Assume a character with all stats being twelve for purposes of argument.
2) Assume he's 7th level (Barb 2, Sorc 4, Rage Mage1). Relevant stats would include: BAB: +4, Combat Casting
3) Yes, I know that there are better character classes. I appreciate any input, but I'm not looking for alternate character class suggestions.

Thanks for any help on this.

Sir Chuckles
2014-03-31, 03:59 PM
Easy part:
You can cast any spell from the abjuration, conjuration, evocation, necromancy, or transmutation schools, so long as they have a casting time of one round or less.
Next, we see that you have a 12 Charisma. You can cast up to 2nd level spells. You're a 4th level Sorcerer, so no worries there.

Before Spell Rage:
You cast Magic Missile. 4th level Sorcerer, 1st level Rage Mage = 4th level caster.
That's two missiles for 2d4+2.

You enter Spell Rage:
Your caster level is now your effective caster level. You're a 7th level caster.
Magic Missile is now shooting four missiles.

Anything else?

LordFluffy
2014-04-01, 10:28 AM
Okay, that's much cooler than I thought, actually. I was trying to figure out what benefit you got out of spell rages, since they're a separate count from regular rages.

KillianHawkeye
2014-04-01, 03:42 PM
I'm AFB, but I'm pretty sure Spell Rage needs to be activated in conjunction with your normal Barbarian's Rage.

Sir Chuckles
2014-04-01, 04:17 PM
I'm AFB, but I'm pretty sure Spell Rage needs to be activated in conjunction with your normal Barbarian's Rage.

That's not stated anywhere, but it's also not stated that Spell Rage is separate from normal Rage.
You have Spell Rage uses and regular Rage uses as separate things, and it's stated that you can only rage once per encounter...
So it's a strange wording junction.

HolyCouncilMagi
2014-04-01, 05:39 PM
Pretty sure normal Rage would make most of your spells, if not all of them, un-castable. So I doubt they happen in conjunction with one another.

Urpriest
2014-04-01, 05:43 PM
Pretty sure normal Rage would make most of your spells, if not all of them, un-castable. So I doubt they happen in conjunction with one another.

The whole point of Rage Mage is that you can cast spells while in Rage (via Spell Rage, rather than in all Rages like a real Barbarian Gish PrC).

KillianHawkeye
2014-04-01, 06:18 PM

The problem is that Spell Rage doesn't really have any benefits other than "able to cast while raging" and an improvement to your caster level. It isn't written clearly, but I believe the intent is that you use Spell Rage and Rage at the same time.