PDA

View Full Version : Legends and Lore: Shop Til You Drop

Lokiare
2014-03-31, 03:20 PM
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20140324

This week, we're taking a look at a change in character creation that's fairly easy to implement but has a real impact on how players—especially new players—approach D&D.

In earlier editions, you purchased gear as part of character creation. You rolled dice or took a set amount of cash and spent it on armor, weapons, adventuring gear, and other stuff. Shopping for equipment is fun, but it can take a while. Some editions provided starting packages to speed up this process, but those packages often limited your options and made characters feel the same.

Stray
2014-03-31, 03:47 PM
Looking at the comments under this article you would think that choice on how many torches your character has at level 1 is the most important decision you will have to make in the whole game, and simplifying it is an insult to gamers...:smallwink:

It's not an idea that will change roleplaying as we know it, but yeah, I imagine it will simplify things for new players and speed up character creation for quick games. And even if a tyrannical DM won't allow "optional rule" to pick your own equipment, then visit a shop in game and buy your 10' pole there. I can't see how this minor thing could negatively impact anybody's game.

Lokiare
2014-03-31, 04:00 PM
Note: I moved this from the original post to a new post.

I actually like this. Getting specific gear based on packages, class, background, etc...etc... so that you can grab what you want quickly and go, or purchase individual items with starting money. The special item you get can be used later by the DM as a plot device. Too bad its all attached to a system I'll likely never play.

DrBurr
2014-03-31, 05:08 PM
Seems almost like a superfluous system, I'm not sure who is exactly confused about shopping you get X amount of gold buy the best armor you can wear, highest die weapon you can wield, implement or holy symbol if your spellcaster and an adventurer's kit. If you have any money left over pocket it or spend it on rope, you always need more rope. The only players who probably wouldn't be following that rough idea are experienced players, who chances are love getting the most value for their gold. I do think its an interesting addition though and it definitely makes one-shots a little more interesting when now one of your players is developing an impromptu back story about his defective candle.

Seerow
2014-03-31, 05:10 PM
Seems almost like a superfluous system, I'm not sure who is exactly confused about shopping you get X amount of gold buy the best armor you can wear, highest die weapon you can wield, implement or holy symbol if your spellcaster and an adventurer's kit. If you have any money left over pocket it or spend it on rope, you always need more rope. The only players who probably wouldn't be following that rough idea are experienced players, who chances are love getting the most value for their gold. I do think its an interesting addition though and it definitely makes one-shots a little more interesting when now one of your players is developing an impromptu back story about his defective candle.

It's not confusing so much as time consuming. Indeed, the new system might be more counter-intuitive for a new player; but once it's explained will make character creation much faster.

My group's been doing something similar to this for years. Pick weapon/armor, and pay 25g to have an "Adventurer's Pack" with all of the random little things that might be useful on the road/in the dungeon.

obryn
2014-03-31, 05:51 PM
This is one part of Next that I've liked since it appeared - I think it's awesome to just have two appropriate parcels for gear and move on. It's been a long time since mundane gear has been as central to the game as it was in 1e.

Pex
2014-03-31, 11:51 PM
Looks promising. I hate buying equipment for a new character. It's the only part of character creation I don't like. There's always some item I forget to purchase until another player mentions he uses his. I know I've bought equipment I've never used, but I buy them anyway because I hate to need them and not have them, such as two sacks.

In games I'm in minutiae of marking off rations isn't done, but I nevertheless always buy a week's worth of rations. I write it on my character sheet and never touch it again. We just "get provisions" when appropriate just to say it's done. I actually like it that way. Minutiae detailing of bookkeeping isn't the point of the game. Too much "realism" can ruin the fun.

Someone, usually the rogue, gets a grappling hook but occasionally I'll buy one but never use it. I have torches that never get lit due to light spells or by the time they're needed someone in the party has a sunrod. Rope does get used either for climbing or wanting to cross a river or untrustworthy bridge. My characters only ever have two sets of clothing and wear just one. I've also been known to get shackles but never use them. Mustn't forget the canteen I never drink out of.

This is one instance where I won't mind the game designers doing the thinking for me.

Morty
2014-04-01, 08:23 AM
I've always found shopping for gear a major pain in the rear, so yes, I do actually like it, despite the article being filled with their usual fixation on speed and simplicity. Feels strange.

russdm
2014-04-01, 11:39 PM
I actually don't think this was ever an issue until WotC created too many items that became available. At first level, you couldn't afford the sheer myriad of magic items, but at higher levels you needed to purchase wisely or it would screw you over.

While I like the ideas of getting gear from your class choices, background stuff and etc., I feel too much like that should have showed up in 4th or 3.5 before this. It feels like the designers are going through a phase of discovering everything that might not have been that great about their editions. I like the table of random curious objects a lot since it shows potential for interesting roleplaying backgrounds.

It also sounds like that many of the designers for Next never worked with or perhaps had limited contact with WotC's previous editions.

Joe the Rat
2014-04-02, 03:02 PM
While I like the ideas of getting gear from your class choices, background stuff and etc., I feel too much like that should have showed up in 4th or 3.5 before this.They sort of did this in 3.5 with the "quick start package" at the end of each core class write-up. You know, the one where you grab your allotment of recommended maxed skills, a pocketful of trail rations, and the Toughness feat?

I'm a shopper. I like skimming through the lists with an eye for "what would be useful" and "what would my character carry" ... and "where would he keep five chickens?" I also think the packages are a smart idea. Heck, having the "Adventurer's kit" on the shopping list alone is a smart idea: One-stop shopping for your essentials, so you don't forget something important like food. Or rope.

Person_Man
2014-04-08, 08:37 AM
This actually sounds like a great idea to me. By default you get a decent set of cloths, armor, weapons, whatever tools you need, an interesting trinket or two, and some walking around money. If you don't like it, as an option you can instead just get strait gp and buy whatever you want. It's a win-win for everyone.

momogila
2014-04-09, 05:48 AM
This actually sounds like a great idea to me. By default you get a decent set of cloths, armor, weapons, whatever tools you need, an interesting trinket or two, and some walking around money. If you don't like it, as an option you can instead just get strait gp and buy whatever you want. It's a win-win for everyone.

agree with you

http://watchfree.me/114/w.png

Sartharina
2014-04-24, 08:02 AM
I definitely like this decision, as it looks like it'll ensure people have the tools they actually need - especially the miscellaneous items that make sense, without having to overthink things.

And faster character creation is a VERY good thing, especially when it, like this, doesn't actually detract from meaningful decisions.

pwykersotz
2014-06-05, 01:30 PM
I like it to, though for subtly different reasons. I never cared that I had to pick what to buy, I've always been able to do it fairly swiftly. However, a consolidated list of likely items is very worthwhile. It's all about ease of accessing the information (especially when you have books instead of searchable pdf's or the SRD). A table of your easy options near the class entry would be great.