PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Aiding aid another

Altair_the_Vexed
2014-03-31, 04:43 PM
Aid another, as written is kind of lame - you give up a standard action to grant a mere +2 to your ally's next check.
The only time you'll see that getting used is by a bunch of mooks acting together.

So I thought it could do with a boost.

Aid Another
Modification:
In melee combat, you can help a friend attack or defend by distracting or interfering with an opponent. If you’re in position to make a melee attack on an opponent that is engaging a friend in melee combat, you can attempt to aid your friend as a standard action. You make an attack roll against AC 10. If you succeed, your friend gains either a +2 bonus on his attack rolls against that opponent, or a +2 bonus to AC against that opponent’s attacks (your choice), until the beginning of your next turn. Multiple characters can aid the same friend, and similar bonuses stack.

New
In ranged combat, you may help a friend attack by making a volley at his target. If you are adjacent to a friend who is making a ranged attack, you may attempt to aid your friend as a standard action. You make a ranged attack roll against AC 10. If you succeed, your friend gains a +2 bonus on his attack rolls against that opponent, until the beginning of your next turn. Multiple characters can aid the same friend, and similar bonuses stack.

Partly, this came from my mistaken remembering of the rule - I always thought it worked that way until I checked.

What do you think? Will this break things open that I've not thought about? (I'm playing in an E6 game, with a hack of PF and UA Generic classes only, so there may well be stuff I'm not considering...)

Vadskye
2014-03-31, 07:20 PM
I've used this. It changed essentially nothing. shrug

Altair_the_Vexed
2014-04-01, 11:08 AM
Nothing? Really?

What I found in the group I used it with was that the party collaborated to buff their best hitters when they were up against things the rogue-likes couldn't hit.

Then again, I'm using it in E6, so for those CR 8, 9 and 10 bad guys, every edge you can muster counts.

Vadskye
2014-04-01, 12:12 PM
Nothing? Really?

What I found in the group I used it with was that the party collaborated to buff their best hitters when they were up against things the rogue-likes couldn't hit.

Then again, I'm using it in E6, so for those CR 8, 9 and 10 bad guys, every edge you can muster counts.

It occurs to me that the math behind E6 and the math behind Rise are so fundamentally different that my experience probably doesn't translate well, even though they're both d20 system. Thinking in a more E6 mindset, this change makes sense, and is very unlikely to overpower anything. The biggest power increase from "next check" to "1 round duration" comes when you have a large numbers of attacks in a round, and in E6 you don't have huge attacks/round spikes.

Seerow
2014-04-01, 12:59 PM
Honestly making it last for one round is nice, but not worth a standard action in the majority of cases. I've had maybe one fight in the last year or so of playing E6 where I would have considered that a worthwhile use of an action.

In my Fighting With [Style] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?336953-Fighting-with-Style-(Revamped-New-Feats)&p=17181633#post17181633) compilation, I included a couple of feats to improve Aid Another.

Feat 1-Doubles the bonus (to +4), and makes using it take only a swift action to use.
Feat 2-Aid Another provides both AC and Hit bonus, instead of just one or the other. Lets aid another provide benefit to multiple allies (scaling with BAB).