PDA

View Full Version : I am Lady Maeia, Knight of Marjsdhal...

Dragor
2007-02-04, 08:44 AM
.... and it's really damn fun being a Knight.

It's simply the way you can be holier-than-thou and have a reason for it. A few quotes from my first session as a Knight:

"Your backwater town is not worthy of Lady Maeia!"
"I can't believe I'm letting a peasent tree-hugger such as you into this party."
"Show yourself, evil-doer!" (Repeated several times)

It's brilliant fun, and I earnt a lot of Roleplaying XP just for some of my more....let's say....harsher comments.

Oh, and Marjshdhal (a city of my creation for one of my latest campaigns) is pronounced Marsh-Daal. Just to confirm.

Anyone else got some funny and interesting stories about playing a Knight? If so, speak out... :smallsmile:

Darkshade
2007-02-04, 08:52 AM
I was playing a knight in a group and we had a meeting over x-mas break, we were around 7th level going up against a Spectre BBEG with no ghost touch weapons and no cleric, and we were getting powned! I was hit three times and was sitting there with only 1 level between me and death and the entire party was telling me to run away like a coward so I stood tall and declared "I will not flee from this damned monstrosity!" and stood my ground helping strike a few more blows and defeat the monster. (course i almost got killed since it swung at me and only missed by 1) But I emerged victorious as the brave Knight.

P.S. of course that was also the only enemy in the entire module i was able to use my knights challenge on since everything else was just a swarm of weenie monsters

Dragor
2007-02-04, 08:56 AM
I was playing a knight in a group and we had a meeting over x-mas break, we were around 7th level going up against a Spectre BBEG with no ghost touch weapons and no cleric, and we were getting powned! I was hit three times and was sitting there with only 1 level between me and death and the entire party was telling me to run away like a coward so I stood tall and declared "I will not flee from this damned monstrosity!" and stood my ground helping strike a few more blows and defeat the monster. (course i almost got killed since it swung at me and only missed by 1) But I emerged victorious as the brave Knight.

P.S. of course that was also the only enemy in the entire module i was able to use my knights challenge on since everything else was just a swarm of weenie monsters

Ah ha, very well done. Yeah, Knights Challenge is extremely useful for picking enemies off. The rest of the party can stare in awe as you simply challenge everybody you see.

"I challenge YOU!" *Hack, hack, splurtch, maim*

"What, you think I'm finished? I challenge YOU!"

ExHunterEmerald
2007-02-04, 05:30 PM
I personally prefer un-holier than thou knight-types, but then I have a big pet peeve about blustery types.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-02-04, 07:06 PM
Here's a knight story from a campaign last... Summer, I think.

The party is still levels 1-2 so pretty much every fight is a risk and one-hit-kills are the norm for us. We're raiding a Hobgoblin/Kobold fortress (built underground) and just broke into the last chamber, where a 2nd level Hobgoblin Fighter and a 2nd level Kobold Sorcerer are waiting to finish us.

I was playing a Cleric/Wizard. My friend was a human knight, and another guy was a human rogue. The knight and rogue had tied their history together so that both were cadets in the King's Guard, the knight training to be an officer and the rogue training to be a spy. They had grown up together, gone through the academy together, etc.

Now we had basically exhausted all our resources as it was. Both the party Sorcerer and I were dry on spells, and our other tank (golmoid fighter) was down on HP. The Rogue had it worst--the guy literally had 2 HP left, and we were totally out of Heal Potions.

We burst into the room, and of course we've made the noise of a trainwreck so the Kobold's already got a wand leveled at the door. He fires, it's a Wand of Color Spray, everyone makes their save except the poor Knight (and he actually had a good Will Save.) He's KO'd for the next few rounds while the rest of us charge in.

The Kobold dies in one hit under the fighter's greataxe. Unfortunately while our tank is busy, both our casters are exposed and of course, I get dropped by the Hobgoblin. Our Sorcerer heroically pulls his club and charges the Hob, trying to keep me from getting CDG'd, and gets dropped for his trouble.

So the Rogue, last man standing, tries his luck, and the Hob sunders his rapier right in his hand. Things look pretty bleak now, our last guy on his feet has 2 HP to his name, but in a few short rounds the Knight (who has almost all his HP) will wake up. The Rogue goes full defence and manages to dodge the Hob's sword. Everything's riding on his dodge skills, we're all cheering him on, the DM's turning red....

Then the Rogue spots the Kobold's wand of Color Spray lying on the ground. Naturally he dives for it, rolls his tumble check, fails. The Hob gets an AoO and hits him as he goes for the wand. And that's all she wrote--the Hob does 14 damage, instantly killing the poor Rogue.

So the Knight stood up, clearing his eyes, just in time to see his best friend get his reaching arm hacked off by this Hobgoblin. And what happens next is just beautiful: he levels his sword, declares a Fighting Challenge with a shrieked "HAVE AT THEE!" And cuts the Hobgoblin down right on his charge turn. The DM described it as the Knight thrusting his longsword right into the towering Hobgoblin's throat, killing him instantly.

We ended that campaign with our PCs still only level 2-3 (DM had commitments, the usual junk, etc. etc.) but that moment of glory is still fondly recalled in our group a year later.

Catharsis
2007-02-04, 08:16 PM
Oh, and Marjshdhal (a city of my creation for one of my latest campaigns) is pronounced Marsh-Daal. Just to confirm.
You know, contrary to popular belief, typographical crimes against humanity do not necessarily make a name more fantasy-like.

The party is still levels 1-2 so pretty much every fight is a risk and one-hit-kills are the norm for us.
That's what we get "hero points" for. You get one each time you level up, and you can spend one to reroll any one roll. It drastically brings down the random mortality while still keeping the thrill of danger undiminished. I for one would not appreciate dying and having to create a new character once or twice in the early levels of each campaign, just because you're bound to get unlucky at some point.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-02-04, 08:33 PM
Pffft, we play to live dangerously, not to take it easy!

Darkshade
2007-02-05, 05:33 AM
I seriously prefer to play the wise righteous knight who gives advice to his allies but does not admonish them for their shortcomings. I like to be the moral center of the party when I am playing the Knight and to do what I can to keep the infighting to a minimum. It's also a lot of fun playing LN and trying to get the LG paladin/sorcerer and the LE Ninja/Warlock to get along, especially since the three of us are playing half brothers. Knights rule!

Matthew
2007-02-05, 02:46 PM
Hmmn. Okay, we were playing (A)D&D and the Adventurers were exploring an ancient and ruined fortress of a long vanished wizard (standard stuff) in the company of a number of NPC Adventurers. Unfortunately, they had the misfortune to release a very powerful Demon from its ancient prison. Being somewhat the worse for wear to begin with, the entire party decided to flee by the most expedient means available, that is all except for Ulius the Knight, who faced down the Demon. The Demon strode forward and made it's attack action, needing a 2 or more to hit and rolling... a 1. And that's how Ulius the Knight lasted two rounds...