PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Critical Hit

jordan.k93
2014-03-31, 05:13 PM
So I've been not confirming and just going straight for crits, and a few other convenience things in regards to critical hits.

But for various reasons, I'm going to go strictly by the book in this aspect.

So let me detail how I think it works, and you helpful fellows correct the Nine Hells out of me.

Orc rolls d20+12 on his attack roll
Rolls a [20]+12! Threatens a Critical
He rolls to hit again, with same modifier (d20+12)
If he again beats the targets AC, he has confirmed a crit.
Damage:
(3x Crit from Greataxe) 3d12+((STR MOD x1.5)x2)

Fairly sure I have it correct up to the damage part, at that point I'm not sure whether the damage should be as listed or below:
(3x Crit from Greataxe) 3d12+((STR MOD x1.5)x3)

Seerow
2014-03-31, 05:22 PM
It's the second one you listed. The crit multiplies all applicable damage by the crit multiplier, not just the weapon dice.

Deadline
2014-03-31, 05:42 PM
It's the second one you listed. The crit multiplies all applicable damage by the crit multiplier, not just the weapon dice.

Specifically, weapon dice and static additions to damage are multiplied. Extra damage dice (like from Sneak Attack, or the +1d6 from the Flaming weapon enchantment) are not.

So if a barbarian crits with his +1 Flaming Greataxe, he deals: 3d12 + ((STR MOD x1.5)x3) + 1d6(fire).

yoshi67
2014-03-31, 05:51 PM
Could someone explain how Power Attack factors in to a critical? Thanks for asking about crits, was about to post and this answers everything else!

Seerow
2014-03-31, 05:52 PM
Could someone explain how Power Attack factors in to a critical? Thanks for asking about crits, was about to post and this answers everything else!

It's flat bonus damage, so gets multiplied just like strength.

Deadline
2014-03-31, 05:53 PM

It's actually already addressed in my post here:

Specifically, weapon dice and static additions to damage are multiplied.

Bolded for emphasis. Power attack damage is a static addition to damage, just like weapon enhancement bonuses, weapon specialization, etc.

It's essentially what makes Uberchargers work. You charge, power attack for a bunch, and get a way to multiply that damage to huge McLarge numbers.