PDA

View Full Version : Deck of Many Things

Cheddarwurst
2014-03-31, 05:29 PM
We encountered my DM's own particular flair on this artifact last week and it was a huge clusterf*ck of fun. Has anyone else used it to great effect in their campaigns, and did you make your own cards, or go with the book?

atomicwaffle
2014-03-31, 05:40 PM
search on youtube for 'counter monkey vegan steve'

Kazudo
2014-03-31, 05:40 PM
We encountered my DM's own particular flair on this artifact last week and it was a huge clusterf*ck of fun. Has anyone else used it to great effect in their campaigns, and did you make your own cards, or go with the book?

I went with the books the two or three times I had the artifact show up. The first time an idiot decided he would "flip through the cards to see what they were".

The second time, the same idiot decided he'd put them in a handy haversack and simply request the card he wanted so that "he would always get what he needed and could cheat the artifact".

Hilarity ensued in both cases.

Big Fau
2014-03-31, 05:49 PM
I went with the books the two or three times I had the artifact show up. The first time an idiot decided he would "flip through the cards to see what they were".

The second time, the same idiot decided he'd put them in a handy haversack and simply request the card he wanted so that "he would always get what he needed and could cheat the artifact".

Hilarity ensued in both cases.

For the first one, the cards are useless unless drawn:

As soon as one of these cards is drawn from the pack, its magic is bestowed upon the person who drew it, for better or worse.

Kazudo
2014-03-31, 05:51 PM
For the first one, the cards are useless unless drawn:

Right, but what constitutes "drawing" a card is never specified. One could argue that by looking at the bottom of the deck, he simply opted to "draw from the bottom", and that by removing the used card, he was drawing again from the bottom!

At least that's the logic I used behind it.

EDIT: And even should it be encased in a casement by which one could not simply "look at the bottom card", then pulling any card simply to look at it from the pack is drawing it!