PDA

View Full Version : list of 3.5 playable races?

creepyeye
2014-03-31, 07:06 PM
I tried looking but couldn't find any,can anyone help find me a complete list of PC races,their special stuff and their racial modifiers.

Silva Stormrage
2014-03-31, 07:10 PM
Here you go.

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1281.0

Its not a complete list but its all the ones that have no LA so it should be good enough.

Dread_Head
2014-03-31, 07:13 PM
Here's a list of LA+1 and +2 races as well

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4886

MadGreenSon
2014-03-31, 07:18 PM
Here you go.

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1281.0

Its not a complete list but its all the ones that have no LA so it should be good enough.

You can sometimes have fun with a bit of LA though. I'm running Way of the Wicked, backported to 3.5 and one of the PCs is an Unholy Scion. +5 LA, +1,000,000 awesome!
I gave the other PCs some goodies and upped the difficulty level a bit and it's all good so far.

"Playable race" is kind of a nebulous term really. In what setting? Going by just the rules or is there a game world culture to think about?
Theoretically you can play an Ogre or a Troll, but try being an Ogre or Troll in the capital of Cormyr...

Silva Stormrage
2014-03-31, 08:07 PM
You can sometimes have fun with a bit of LA though. I'm running Way of the Wicked, backported to 3.5 and one of the PCs is an Unholy Scion. +5 LA, +1,000,000 awesome!
I gave the other PCs some goodies and upped the difficulty level a bit and it's all good so far.

"Playable race" is kind of a nebulous term really. In what setting? Going by just the rules or is there a game world culture to think about?
Theoretically you can play an Ogre or a Troll, but try being an Ogre or Troll in the capital of Cormyr...

Oh I agree, I was just saying that most of the times people play with +0 LA so that list should be good enough. And anything over +4 LA is reaaallly crippling to a build.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-31, 08:25 PM
Oh I agree, I was just saying that most of the times people play with +0 LA so that list should be good enough. And anything over +4 LA is reaaallly crippling to a build.

Yeah, that is a fact. You want to play the really interesting things, it more or less takes a game that is set up for it. Most aren't, so sticking with +0/+1 is probably best.

<sigh> I've always kinda wanted to play an Ogre Mage, just because, y'know? Never gonna happen.:smallsigh:

Silva Stormrage
2014-03-31, 10:12 PM
Yeah, that is a fact. You want to play the really interesting things, it more or less takes a game that is set up for it. Most aren't, so sticking with +0/+1 is probably best.

<sigh> I've always kinda wanted to play an Ogre Mage, just because, y'know? Never gonna happen.:smallsigh:

I know what you mean. I want to play a vampire lord :smallsigh:

So essentially a gestalt game or thats not happening ever :smalltongue:

MadGreenSon
2014-03-31, 10:31 PM

Hey, that would be cool if for no other reason than never losing control of vampires you create.

World under the fang anyone?:smallbiggrin:

Yeah, pretty much.

Still, it would be nice to play a magical blue flying Ogre.

Zanos
2014-03-31, 10:32 PM

An all vampire lord caimpaign would be hilarious since the party would be nearly impossible to put down permanently. I like games where DMs give out a bit of free LA or have LA on one side of the gestalt, since people will tend to play things that aren't humans when a bit of free LA is on the table.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-31, 10:34 PM
An all vampire lord caimpaign would be hilarious since the party would be nearly impossible to put down permanently. I like games where DMs give out a bit of free LA or have LA on one side of the gestalt, since people will tend to play things that aren't humans when a bit of free LA is on the table.

Well... That kinda just went on my list of games to run someday. Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

SciChronic
2014-03-31, 10:42 PM
my DM has allowed my to run the homebrew race i created (see sig) which is +2LA, and its made for amazing roleplaying opportunities. For instance, i've been a "bard" singing in every tavern/inn that we've stayed at, but my party doesn't realize it, because every time i look like a different person.

in terms of viability, +1 LA races can be worth it, +2 LA and beyond you start to get the short end of the stick.

Vhaidara
2014-03-31, 11:02 PM

You would like one of my DMs. We were doing a one off (it isn't a one off anymore, too much fun), and he agreed to give us 2 free LA and drop racial Hit Dice.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-31, 11:30 PM
You would like one of my DMs. We were doing a one off (it isn't a one off anymore, too much fun), and he agreed to give us 2 free LA and drop racial Hit Dice.

That's still +5LA I'd have to deal with, but he sounds a lot like me. I do games like that all the time.

creepyeye
2014-04-01, 12:47 PM
Thx guys this will help a lot with my campaign I made

John Longarrow
2014-04-01, 02:23 PM
Creepyeyes,
Just remember, not all level adjustments are the same, or even worth it.

For a LA of +4 you get a pixie. For a +5, a 1/2 troll. Having run both, I'll take the pixie, mostly because I can make a better melee fighter than the troll.
Swordsage + Shadow Hand for Dex to Damage on a +8 dex build can cut through things like butter...