PDA

View Full Version : Spell: Nimbus of Light (Complete Divine) - Spell Resistance?

NeeL
2014-03-31, 07:12 PM
Hello, I would've expected there would be some threads about this on the interwebz, but I can't find them, so here is one!

The question is rather simple:
Would you treat the spell Nimbus of Light with or without overcoming Spell Resistance?
It's not listed in either Complete Divine or the Spell Compendium, therefore my DM has a difficulty choosing SR: Yes or No.

Evocation [Light]
Level: Cleric 1, Purification 1,
Components: V, S, DF,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 min./level or until discharged (D)

A glittering corona of sunlight surrounds your body at a few inches distance—until you release it as a focused blast of divine energy.
The nimbus of light glows like a lantern, shedding bright light in a 30-foot radius (and dim light for an additional 30 feet) from you.
As a move action, you can coalesce the energy from the nimbus of light around your outstretched arm, and then as a standard action fling it toward a foe within 30 feet.
As a ranged touch attack, the nimbus of light deals 1d8 points of damage +1 point per round that's elapsed since you cast the spell (max of 1d8 + caster level damage).
Attacking with the nimbus of light ends the spell, whether the energy hits its target or not.

NoACWarrior
2014-03-31, 07:36 PM
Thats a really good question, I looked in a few books and found that there was no SR notation for this spell.

I would likely grant an SR when targeting with the attacks since spells like flame blade also have SR affected.

However by raw SR may not apply, unless you take the ruling that all spells allow SR and do not work on objects ect unless specifically noted to do so.

Chronos
2014-03-31, 08:53 PM
There is no SR listing because the range is personal and the target is you. SR never applies to personal spells, and if it did, your SR would be the only one that would be relevant.

NeeL
2014-04-01, 12:33 PM
There is no SR listing because the range is personal and the target is you. SR never applies to personal spells, and if it did, your SR would be the only one that would be relevant.

Ah yes, that makes sense. The spell targets me and grants me with magical light that I can gather, to shoot an enemy with.

So, beyond RAW, is the light still magical?
I mean if it is a ray of magical light, it would raise the question of well... the one I asked.
So I guess, it's some sort of energy beam (or ball maybe) with the energy type being light? Like the (Lesser) Orb of Acid, the magic is in the creating, not in the 'projectile', and thus the Spell Resistance of the target doesn't help it?

Just trying to create a mental image for me to understand the process. :)

Keneth
2014-04-01, 12:51 PM
I would allow SR to apply when it's used offensively. Casters don't need nice things.

NoACWarrior
2014-04-01, 01:29 PM
Well thats the issue, by RAW SR is not listed, thus the spell cannot be defeated by SR in RAW rullings.
DMs will call that a crazy reason and go 50/50 on the spell

The assumption made by Chronos I think is wrong, other persistent touch attack or ranged touch abilities ARE subject to SR on offensive use so long as the SR notation is "Yes".
This is especially true for flame blade and produce flame.

TuggyNE
2014-04-02, 02:45 AM
Well thats the issue, by RAW SR is not listed, thus the spell cannot be defeated by SR in RAW rullings.

This is correct.

DMs will call that a crazy reason and go 50/50 on the spell

I can see houseruling SR in; it wouldn't break anything. However, leaving it out wouldn't necessarily break much either.

The assumption made by Chronos I think is wrong, other persistent touch attack or ranged touch abilities ARE subject to SR on offensive use so long as the SR notation is "Yes".
This is especially true for flame blade and produce flame.

That's because neither of those is Range: Personal.