PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Impact & Bolts

Larkas
2014-03-31, 09:20 PM
Hey there, guys! Two questions:

- Was the impact weapon enhancement ever explicitly updated for 3.5?

- Is there any way to turn crossbow bolts into bludgeoning weapons?

Doc_Maynot
2014-03-31, 09:28 PM
If you are looking for a crit increase, perhaps consider shatter bolts from the Dragon Magazine Compendium (p 112), since they increase the "critical threat increment to 18-20/X3" there are some downside due to them being glass bolts though.

Larkas
2014-03-31, 09:30 PM
If you are looking for a crit increase, perhaps consider shatter bolts from the Dragon Magazine Compendium (p 112), since they increase the "critical threat increment to 18-20/X3" there are some downside due to them being glass bolts though.

I need a critical range multiplier that doesn't explicitly shut down other critical range augmentations. But thanks for the input. :smallsmile:

Doc_Maynot
2014-03-31, 09:44 PM
Really wouldn't shut it down, would it? Use Targeteer Fighter as a base to get that crit to 15-20/x3, Improved Critical would get it to 9-20/x3. That would be with a full attack sacrificing 3 iteratives, or 14-20/x3 with a standard attack or on each iterative. Combine with Ghostly Reload and/or a Great Crossbow with a wand chamber for additional kicks.

Larkas
2014-03-31, 09:47 PM
Really wouldn't shut it down, would it? Use Targeteer Fighter as a base to get that crit to 15-20/x3, Improved Critical would get it to 9-20/x3. That would be with a full attack sacrificing 3 iteratives, or 14-20/x3 with a standard attack or on each iterative. Combine with Ghostly Reload and/or a Great Crossbow with a wand chamber for additional kicks.

I'm looking at 2-20/x6 here, and it's not really compatible with that material.

Doc_Maynot
2014-03-31, 09:49 PM
If you'd be so kind to explain as to how you got 2-20/x6 I'd love to use it for an npc.

Larkas
2014-04-02, 07:55 PM
If you'd be so kind to explain as to how you got 2-20/x6 I'd love to use it for an npc.

Targetteer (Arrow Swarm) + Rapid Shot + Two-Weapon Fightning + Improved Two-Weapon Fightning + Greater Two-Weapon Fighting + Hand Crossbow Focus + 2 Hand Crossbows = 10 attacks per full attack.

Targetteer (Sniper) = sacrifice 8 attacks per full attack to get two attacks at 11-20 with each Hand Crossbow.

Make the Hand Crossbows of Kaorti Resin, and you're looking at 11-20/x4.

Add Deepwood Sniper 7, and that turns into 11-20/x6. Alas, Deepwood Sniper's Keen Arrows refer to the keen weapon enhancement, which wouldn't stack with the Targeteer's threat range expansion from Sniper (unless you take a very strict reading of the "such as the keen edge spell or the Improved Critical feat" bit).

Add in Aptitude and Lightning Maces for extra attacks and Blood in the Water for more fun, profit, and bonuses.

Put it simply, I want something to reliably double that threat range into 2-20/x6, as it would with the strict reading of Keen Arrows but without dependence of DM interpretation.

EDIT: Just noticed you fell in the same trap as I did. Improved Critical does not stack with Sniper.

EDIT2: So... Any ideas? =x

Doc_Maynot
2014-04-02, 09:22 PM
Kaorti Resin Bolts, Iron Stock Crossbow, 4-8 levels of Disciple of Dispater?

Larkas
2014-04-02, 09:28 PM
Kaorti Resin Bolts, Iron Stock Crossbow, 4-8 levels of Disciple of Dispater?

I actually thought of going about it the other way around, with Kaorti Resin Crossbows and regular steel-tipped bolts. :smallbiggrin: Alas, I don't think it'd work. The Disciple of Dispater ability only explicitly stacks with Improved Critical, otherwise being treated as then regular keen weapon enchantment. As such, it's no better than the Deepwood Sniper's ability in this case. :smallfrown:

Khedrac
2014-04-03, 06:38 AM
Remember that 3.0 material needs updating to 3.5, if there is nothing published then it is up to the DM to approve what "minor" modifications are necessary.

I don't recall about Kaorti Resin's source, but Disciple of Dispater is from a 3.0 book. Pretty much all officially converted crit expanders from 3.0 got the "no stacking" addition in 3.5 so most DMs should rule the same applies to DoD - so your plans may not work. Check with your DM first.

Larkas
2014-04-03, 08:19 AM
Remember that 3.0 material needs updating to 3.5, if there is nothing published then it is up to the DM to approve what "minor" modifications are necessary.

I don't recall about Kaorti Resin's source, but Disciple of Dispater is from a 3.0 book. Pretty much all officially converted crit expanders from 3.0 got the "no stacking" addition in 3.5 so most DMs should rule the same applies to DoD - so your plans may not work. Check with your DM first.

Actually, any content that didn't get updated (that is, printed into a new 3.5 book) is still valid and is thus usable with 3.5. You might have to tweak a few things, like skills that were consolidated/removed, but that is explicitly mentioned in the update manual, while changes to specific class abilities were not.

Regardless, for the reasons I gave above, Disciple of Dispater doesn't work anyways.

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-03, 10:59 AM
There are arrows that deal bludgeoning damage in Races of the Wild. Not bolts as far as I know though, and the arrows are also non-lethal.