PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Evil Support cohort build

Iden
2007-02-04, 11:50 AM
Alright folks, thanks for the help with plotting my evil plans for my time/luck cleric. I decided to invest in leadership under various advice and need to use the cohort (6th level) to oversee building of my stronghold/other items, as well as fill a basic support role in the behind the scenes evil empire running. That having been said I'd also like to use him every now and then for some combat backup. Not necessarily fighting but with indirect support (arrows, magic, traps, whatever.) I'm allowed to use any book and I don't have any item creation feats myself. So there it is. Any ideas coming from any which direction would be great. Thanks much.

Belkarseviltwin
2007-02-04, 02:07 PM
I'd say go Marshal. Perfect for commanding hordes of mooks, or buffing you. As the 6th level of Marshal gives nothing but HD (d8), BAB (3/4) and saves (good Fort and Will), you could go for a one-level dip in something else (Rogue or Bard, perhaps?), or a PrC.

Little note: If you make him a half-elf, a Marshal 5/Bard3 qualifies for Arcane Archer (although you'd have to spend all three feats on the prerequisites). He also ends up being a great diplomat if you spend the skill points. My build for this would be as follows:
1st level: Marshal Feat: Point Blank Shot Aura: Watchful Eye
2nd Level: Marshal Aura: Motivate Attack
3rd Level: Marshal Feat: Weapon Focus (longbow) Aura: Determined Caster
4th Level: Marshal
5th Level: Marshal Auras: Steady Hand, Master of Tactics
6th Level: Bard Feat: Precise Shot
7th Level: Bard
8th Level: Bard
9th Level: Arcane Archer

This gives you a character who supports from the back with arrows, bardic music and Marshal auras...

Jack_Simth
2007-02-04, 02:54 PM
A Marshal is a leader. Doesn't fit well, conceptually, as a cohort (at least, for me).

You're already a Cleric, and you're looking for a support character? Wizard. Feats focus on Crafting. You will want to collaberate and be the creator for most of it (although you can have your cohort be the creator for slightly less than half the time without penalty with as-written Leadership). Buff and combat-control spells when he's with you (Haste, Wall of Ice, et cetera - stuff useful for the entire party, by prefference), and he can craft stuff - Golems, scrolls, potions, wands, wondrous items, weapons, armor, and so forth.

Artificer would work pretty well too.

Emperor Tippy
2007-02-04, 03:47 PM
Make your cohort an artificer. Let him drain the magic from all non-important wands/scrolls/items that you find and get his craft pool to a very high level. Then have him make you super cool items.

Iden
2007-02-04, 09:33 PM
Kay, I like the artificer path. What kinds of misc feats would you guys recommend?

JaronK
2007-02-04, 09:39 PM
Artificer was my suggestion too. If you want to be annoying, give him the Leadership feat (yes, that's legal). Otherwise, the feats to give him would be the various feats that make magic item creation cheaper and faster. Let him make for you anything you might need.

JaronK

PinkysBrain
2007-02-04, 09:40 PM
Leadership requires DM approval, just because you could take it doesn't mean your cohort can take it.

Iden
2007-02-04, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I totally thought of that too, a near infinte regression of cohorts and leadership...

daggaz
2007-02-05, 09:31 AM
Yeah, except you can't have a cohort/follower who is the same level or higher than you. So the infinite chain is inherently capped by your level. At 20th lvl, with leadership followers at each lower level, you can still end up with a sick pool of 1st lvl suckers, usually people who end up paying to your 'church' or donating spells or some other kind of cheese which most DM's won't allow.

JaronK
2007-02-07, 05:49 PM
Yeah, Leadership makes the cohort 2 levels lower than you, as I recall, so a 6th level cohort can have leadership, granting a 4th level cohort, who can't have leadership. It's recursive, but it's not infinite.

JaronK

Iden
2007-02-07, 05:54 PM
As I understand though using various upgrades (having a stronghold, etc.) you could increase your leadership level for purposes of cohorts and such. It's possible to get it going very far. still not infinite but substantially advanced.

Stormcrow
2007-02-07, 06:59 PM
I'm going to get lynched but i think a bard is a good bet. An EVIL bard. I mean he can get the morale up for your plebs, he can strum a lyre of building for your stronghold. He can provide minor compitence bonuses in combat and i think with the right feats/scrolls he might be able to craft.

cupkeyk
2007-02-07, 07:22 PM
I think a half elf bard would be excellent. Soothing voice will keep melee guys out of the fight til you get rid of the casters. Give him a lyroe of building and you have the best guy to build yer castle. Later he can Lyric thaumaturge and protect your stuff from object damage while sundering all your opponents equipment with a sonic mighty resonating bolt.

Suggestion has evil vizier written all over it.

Stormcrow
2007-02-07, 07:56 PM
Give him one of those cool somewhat kazoo sounding snake charmer pipes and have him play arabian tunes. Very haunting.