PDA

View Full Version : Coding for the Ouya

Tyndmyr
2014-03-31, 10:35 PM
Aright, this is sort of an ongoing log of my screwing with this console, as well as discussion with anyone else wishing to do the same. Just got my shiny new box, and upon realizing my TV was SOL, a shiny new TV to go with it. Oops. Oh well, had to happen anyway.

The console just arrived today, and it's...remarkably small. Even a wii looks huge compared to this sucker. It's downloading updates, but finding networks, syncing controllers, etc seemed to go smoothly enough. Controller is...basically an xbox controller. Twin stick, dpad, four button panels, two front triggers on each side. Sync button in middle. It only lacks the start/select buttons of uselessness. The batteries go in the handgrips, rather than the central bubble on the xbox. Was skeptical at first, but it makes for better weight distribution. Also, a way to replace controller faceplates. I've coded for xbox, and while XNA was fantastic, here's hoping this system isn't much harder.

Mando Knight
2014-03-31, 11:06 PM
It's pretty much literally a box to play Android games on your TV. If you have any Android programming experience, that's your OS. You've got about twice as much RAM as the 360, but don't expect too much, it's still a rather lightweight system overall.

Tyndmyr
2014-03-31, 11:23 PM
Oddly enough, hadn't done anything on Android proper. I can't imagine it'll be too terrible, and it looks like at least a couple of the middleware platforms are reasonable choices. I've messed with Unity a little before, albeit some time ago, and for PC, but I'm looking to just muck around with simple 2d stuff for starters. Any recommendations to ease the journey?