PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Alchemist Formulae book and other arcane writings

Spore
2014-04-01, 03:39 AM
Greetings,

as we all know an Alchemist can copy spells from a wizard's book into his formulae book without needing to deceipher the arcane writings. My question is a one for fluff ideas:

If you have a certain spell that you can't read but copy anyway, how on earth are you to know how to use it for extracts just because it's copied into your book now. Can you prepare extracts from a wizard spellbook? Can you prepare spells from a magus spellbook? Why or how are your fluff explanations for the decisions on the rules?

This is my first time playing a non-wizard prepared caster and I am very confused.

Spore
2014-04-01, 03:58 PM
No one with opinions, arguments or interest?

NightbringerGGZ
2014-04-01, 04:05 PM
Interest, I'm just wrapping up stuff at the office. :smallsmile:

I've got a few questions for ya and will update this post in a bit, if you don't mind waiting.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-04-01, 05:13 PM
So first off, why exactly can't you read the spell? I'm kinda stuck on how you managed to copy it without reading it. Is it just that it was a Wizard Spell instead of an Alchemist's Formula?

If that's the case, you could fluff Wizard spells as being written through a mathimagical system. Spells have components that interact with each other in a measurable, repeatable fashion that and you're able to convert the Wizard's notes into a format that can be translated into an alchemical formula. Basically, these words combined with magical power = this math combined with magical ingredients.

Spore
2014-04-01, 05:22 PM
So first off, why exactly can't you read the spell? I'm kinda stuck on how you managed to copy it without reading it. Is it just that it was a Wizard Spell instead of an Alchemist's Formula?

I'm working under the assumption that the fact that you call yourself an Alchemist doesn't automatically decrypt any writings in an arcane scripture. The rules just state that you can deceipher it without casting "read magic". That's very meta and I want an actual ingame explanation for it.

If that's the case, you could fluff Wizard spells as being written through a mathimagical system. Spells have components that interact with each other in a measurable, repeatable fashion that and you're able to convert the Wizard's notes into a format that can be translated into an alchemical formula. Basically, these words combined with magical power = this math combined with magical ingredients.

That's the basic jist. Magic is written in gestures, postures and words while an alchemical recipe is written in processing, ingredients and durations. Even if you can use a "code matrix" to transcript one into another you would still need that matrix every time you'd prepare an extract. As preparing an extract takes 1 minute I do not think that there is much time wasted on changing cryptic "languages". And I know that alchemists are supposed to be smart but your average alchemist has about Int 16 which isn't genius level just very clever.

My main point is not the scribing of the formula book but onto WHY alchemists are like the chosen class that can read magic without even trying when even wizards have to pass spellcraft or cast an important spell?

ZeroZeroStyx
2014-04-01, 05:24 PM
If I remember correctly, an alchemist can learn a magus spell if this spell is also on the alchemist spell list. It's stated in the magus Class features.