View Full Version : [MLP:RIM]: The Broken Road III - New Horizons

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

BlasTech
2014-04-01, 06:01 AM
A tree is known by its fruit;
a mare by her deeds.
A good deed is never lost;
she who sows courtesy reaps friendship,
and she who plants kindness gathers love.

************************************************** ******************************************

My Little Pony: Roleplaying Is Magic
The Broken Road

IC Thread 1: The Broken Road (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?257960-MLP-Roleplaying-is-Magic-IC-The-Broken-Road)
IC Thread 2: Echoes of the Past (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279761-MLP-RIM-The-Broken-Road-II-Echoes-of-the-Past)

OOC Thread 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?254824-MLP-Roleplaying-is-Magic-The-Broken-Road)
OOC Thread 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?286233-MLP-Roleplaying-is-Magic-The-Broken-Road-2&p=15350632#post15350632)

************************************************** **************************************************

Somewhere in the world, a new day dawned.

No so for four ponies, and two griffons, oh so far from home.

For them, day began at dusk; As the last rays of Celestia's sun faded, and the oppressive heat of the desert receded into the cool stillness of night. Luna's moon was their sun, the cold wind their rooster as they roused from slumber amidst the ruins of a once great city. This had been their first night under a roof in three days, a comfort that they only now began fully appreciate as their senses returned to bodies that were no longer as sore, or as tired, from the harshness of the great expanse outside. It was not all perfect, however. Hunger and thirst returned alongside their consciousness, as their stomachs called out for fuel to keep them going.

One pony, however, was notably absent.

Soot.

The filly was still not back.

[Ponies recover all lost energy and fortitude damage. Courage remains unchanged.

Food and drink: If you do not drink today, take a -1 dehydration penalty on all physical actions. If you did not drink yesterday, this penalty doubles to a -2 and now applies to mental actions as well.

Food rations: 5 days remaining. Water: Down to one (or two?) rations left]

TheAmishPirate
2014-04-01, 09:19 PM
Awake.

Crown Cork never truly appreciated the sentiment. In the land of dreams, grand fortunes may be won or lost, loves may be rekindled, roads may be traveled, but at morning's light all melts away into nothingness without consequence. And while the liberating freedom of dreams gave the mind leave to imagine without any boundaries, a life lived without consequences was a life of little consequence. Only when a pony set aside the realm of the imaginary for the heavy mantle of reality could great deeds truly be wrought.

Crown Cork was awake - more than that, alive.

He slowly rose to his hooves, giving his weary body time to wake up. Temper that burning passion with patience, Crown. Don't burn too brightly already. He reminded himself gently, then spotted Mister Bomb's sleeping form. On the other side of the room. ...patience. Patience is good. Raging inferno bad. Breathe in through the nose, out through the mouth, steady and slow. Ignore the irritating pegasus. Focus on the goal. Mend fences with Miss Rinda, then work from a position of relative strength. Though I wonder; should I wait until after breakfast? We might eat in peace if this mess were behind us, but perhaps she'd be more agreeable with food on her stomach...

...and where is she anyway?!

Crown scanned the camp one more time, and saw no sign of their companion. Worse still, no sign of Soot either. A heavy pit grew in his stomach, mingling with the steady weariness of dehydration. He pushed onward around the camp, searching behind every nook and cranny with increasing urgency. Not behind the pillars, not underneath the stage, not secreted in the hallway, not on top of Rocky...

Balmas
2014-04-01, 10:38 PM
The transition between dreaming and waking was, disappointingly, not as abrupt as it should have been. Both worlds were cold, empty. As Dive Bomb lay there, looking at his hooves and blinking away the blurriness, he couldn't help feeling the same.

He couldn't even sleep now. Dive Bomb groaned, hauling himself to his feet, and wiped a hoof across his eyes. There were already enough things going wrong in his life. The least he could do was try to face it with at least some decorum.

No tears. He hadn't done enough today to feel sorry for himself.

He poked through his saddlebags, checking to make sure that he had what he needed before strapping them on and looking around.

They weren't all here. That wasn't good. His eyes widened as he began poking around the room, ignoring the colt clambering over their guard.

One Tin Soldier
2014-04-02, 02:22 AM
Outside in Canterlot, bells began tolling. Brush Stroke didn't react, but Satin's head perked up at the noise.

"Oh dear. Is it time already?" he remarked, as the ground began to rumble.

"Time? What time?" she glanced at the clock on the wall. 3:21. Not particularly important. Or wait, was it 6:40? It seemed like the hands on the clock were switching around on their own. Her surroundings became dim and indistinct.

"Oh, I'm waking up," she said, sounding a bit disappointed. "Too bad. I was hoping that it would last a bit longer." Her surroundings began fading out, losing the sense of realness that they had been so full of just a moment before.

Just like that, the dream was over, and Grease found herself back in the nigh-deserted city that was starting to feel familiar. The first thing she noticed was just how thirsty she was. She smacked her lips, and immediately felt them crack.

"Nnng," she grumbled to herself. As interesting as her dream had been, it hadn't been all that restful. Reminders of the changeling invasion tended not to be. "Gonna need that water apparatus sooner rather than later."

Ravian
2014-04-03, 03:37 PM
Flick these memories are getting harder to get through Soot thought as she smiled nervously at the imposing griffon. Think of an excuse, think of an excuse, think of an excuse she thought rapidly. "Oh, well... I'm a foreign corespondent for the Canterlot times. I'm here to report on Griffon politics and culture. Ponies back home have been so worried about how closed the country's been, they've started calling it the Iron Talon of all things. Of course there's no reason to be so xenophobic so I was sent to clear up any doubts and show how things really are. Just thought I'd take a look around is all, no harm is there?" she gave the most convincing smile she could to the guard.

BlasTech
2014-04-04, 07:48 AM
The hall was eerily silent as Grease, Dive and Crown all got up from where they'd lain. They'd placed the tarp that Soot had salvaged over some of the larger windows, and now that the harsh sun was setting, there wasn't much in the way of light in the great hall anymore. Only a few orange rays provided the means to see by, and with both Soot and the Ambassador (with his magnifying glass) absent, they'd need to find a source of light soon, or be reliant only on the magic of Igneous Bluffs.

A poor prospect indeed.

Near the stage, the pile of rocks that was Rocky emitted his distinctive chime (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAGsESUwW7k), as blue strands of magic began to spread along his surface. Iggy still slumbered where he'd made his bed, more or less in the great rock beast's shadow. The supplies they'd brought with them were still in the remains of the sled; thankfully they did not have to contend with any bandit rodents tonight.

Flick these memories are getting harder to get through Soot thought as she smiled nervously at the imposing griffon. Think of an excuse, think of an excuse, think of an excuse she thought rapidly. "Oh, well... I'm a foreign corespondent for the Canterlot times. I'm here to report on Griffon politics and culture. Ponies back home have been so worried about how closed the country's been, they've started calling it the Iron Talon of all things. Of course there's no reason to be so xenophobic so I was sent to clear up any doubts and show how things really are. Just thought I'd take a look around is all, no harm is there?" she gave the most convincing smile she could to the guard.

"Correspondent?"

"Oh yeah, I've heard of those Sarge. Y'see the ponies have this thing called the Press"

"Sounds ghoulish, what's it about?"

"Oh, it's kind of like a bunch of heralds, except they can say anything they want to whoever they want, about whatever they want. They call it 'Free Speech'"

"Horrifying! And they just let them roam free? What kind of ninnies thought that rubbish up?" replied the first griffon again, shaking his head in disbelief. "It's a wonder we haven't just invaded them all already."

"Er, sarge? They like to take stuff like that and tell other ponies we said it. Not good for dip-lo-matic relations" said the second, spelling out the word in a way that suggested unfamiliarity.

"Whatever. We don't need that sort of folk around here." said the sergeant, turning back to Soot. "If you're so hot up on 'reporting' something, then you can go and watch some of the civil trials upstairs. This is a military tribunal, so buzz off."

Balmas
2014-04-04, 09:17 AM
Dive Bomb brushed a bit of mane out of his eyes as he turned back to his mat. His wings dragged as he went about the various tasks of packing up.

No matter how he looked at it, no Soot was bad. It meant that even with eight or so hours to find and talk to the griffon, her results hadn't borne fruit. Or worse, something had gotten to her.

He squeezed his eyes shut. No, she was alright. She had to be. No matter how many images of a petrified Soot his imagination threw in his face, he had to trust Soot. She could survive, hide, talk, all those things he couldn't do.

He had to believe that.

Once his things were packed up and dragged to the sled, he walked to Rocky and cleared his throat. "Er... Et vos hic sedebitis hodie?"

Will you stay here today?

One Tin Soldier
2014-04-04, 11:49 PM
Once she finished wrapping up her bedding, Grease dragged herself over to the supply sled. Her head was pounding, and she could barely think straight. This was far worse than any hangover she had ever experienced.

"Wish Brush Stroke had the chance to make that coffee," she muttered to herself. She spent a few moments idly digging through the contents of the sled before she realized what was wrong with that statement. She shook her head, as if that would dislodge the pervasive fog of her headache. "Gotta get working," she told herself, and she pulled out her notebook, with her rudimentary designs for the device. She didn't have all that much to work with. The things they had retrieved had all been focused on immediate desert survival, not the construction of a magical apparatus. Hopefully the talismans didn't require too much precision.

BlasTech
2014-04-05, 07:07 AM
Once his things were packed up and dragged to the sled, he walked to Rocky and cleared his throat. "Er... Et vos hic sedebitis hodie?"

Will you stay here today?

"Praeceptum: huc ego loquor ad principes" rumbled Rocky, in reply.

"Directive: I will stay here until I speak to the council.

TheAmishPirate
2014-04-07, 11:53 AM
Crown yelped and danced about as lines of blue magic swirled underhoof. He stumbled his way atop Rocky's head before he found a safe patch to stand upon. Really now; would it have killed the designers of such a creature to include a few extra seconds between 'on' and 'watch for magical zaps?' "A hearty princely pies to you too," he huffed. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have friends in need."

"Soot! Miss Rinda!" His dry throat strained for volume, but he pressed his beleaguered voice for all it was worth. "Where are you?!"

Ravian
2014-04-07, 12:27 PM
"Correspondent?"

"Oh yeah, I've heard of those Sarge. Y'see the ponies have this thing called the Press"

"Sounds ghoulish, what's it about?"

"Oh, it's kind of like a bunch of heralds, except they can say anything they want to whoever they want, about whatever they want. They call it 'Free Speech'"

"Horrifying! And they just let them roam free? What kind of ninnies thought that rubbish up?" replied the first griffon again, shaking his head in disbelief. "It's a wonder we haven't just invaded them all already."

"Er, sarge? They like to take stuff like that and tell other ponies we said it. Not good for dip-lo-matic relations" said the second, spelling out the word in a way that suggested unfamiliarity.

"Whatever. We don't need that sort of folk around here." said the sergeant, turning back to Soot. "If you're so hot up on 'reporting' something, then you can go and watch some of the civil trials upstairs. This is a military tribunal, so buzz off."

Soot continued with her charade without missing a beat "Military? Really? That's great, our readers are dying to here about the griffon military. Proud organization isn't it? But there's always been this fearfulness associated with them back in Equestria. But to get a clear look at them would certainly help to dispel that silly fear now wouldn't it? It would come a long way to bring our nations closer together, I've even heard that the Wonderbolts were looking to do some joint exercises with them. Wouldn't that be sight to see. Would it be too much trouble just to take a little peek inside?" she said, the smile never leaving her face.

Balmas
2014-04-07, 02:05 PM
"Praeceptum: huc ego loquor ad principes" rumbled Rocky, in reply.

"Directive: I will stay here until I speak to the council.

And the council wouldn't be here for another who knew how long. Dive Bomb pursed his lips.

Crown yelped and danced about as lines of blue magic swirled underhoof. He stumbled his way atop Rocky's head before he found a safe patch to stand upon. Really now; would it have killed the designers of such a creature to include a few extra seconds between 'on' and 'watch for magical zaps?' "A hearty princely pies to you too," he huffed. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have friends in need."

"Soot! Miss Rinda!" His dry throat strained for volume, but he pressed his beleaguered voice for all it was worth. "Where are you?!"

And there it was. He'd been plagued by his own thoughts. He hadn't slept at all like he ought to have done. Slow dehydration fuzzed his mind, made it hard to think in terms that had more than one syllable. And now Crown was shouting.

His morning was complete.

"They aren't here," he said dully.

BlasTech
2014-04-07, 07:26 PM
Soot continued with her charade without missing a beat "Military? Really? That's great, our readers are dying to here about the griffon military. Proud organization isn't it? But there's always been this fearfulness associated with them back in Equestria. But to get a clear look at them would certainly help to dispel that silly fear now wouldn't it? It would come a long way to bring our nations closer together, I've even heard that the Wonderbolts were looking to do some joint exercises with them. Wouldn't that be sight to see. Would it be too much trouble just to take a little peek inside?" she said, the smile never leaving her face.

"Y'hear that sarge, them ponies are afraid of our military!"

The two griffon guards shared a genuine laugh before the larger of the two leaned down to talk to Soot again. In that moment, it was clear just how much more massive a fully grown griffon was when compared to a pony - and that grin looked distinctly predatory.

"Good." he replied. "We want you to fear us - we're not diplomats, nor namby pamby ambassadors. We're soldiers. Now, the regs are quite clear on this aren't they, private?"

"Yes they are Sarge"

"And what do they say?"

"Civilians found attempting to enter restricted areas are to be given clear instructions that the area is off limits. Subsequent to this, the guard must give one further verbal warning before use of force is authorised."

"Very good, private. You'll get your first stripe soon." said the griffon, whose eyes had never left Soot.

"So here you go, pony. I'm giving you your clear instructions, just so's there's no misunderstanding that we're following the regs here - This place is restricted. So again, buzz off."

[This is about as far as you're going to go on this line of conversation without a roll.]

TheAmishPirate
2014-04-07, 08:11 PM
And there it was. He'd been plagued by his own thoughts. He hadn't slept at all like he ought to have done. Slow dehydration fuzzed his mind, made it hard to think in terms that had more than one syllable. And now Crown was shouting.

"They aren't here," he said dully.

And there it was. His thoughts had nearly escaped a spiral of despair. His sleep had been restful, yet revelatory. His voice ached from dehydration, nevermind he was missing those with whom he most wanted to speak with. And now Mister Bomb was being pedantic.

"Thank you, Mister Bomb," he said levelly, before returning to his shouting. "Soot! Miss Rinda! If this is a joke, you may consider us duly fooled!"

One Tin Soldier
2014-04-08, 01:25 AM
And there it was. His thoughts had nearly escaped a spiral of despair. His sleep had been restful, yet revelatory. His voice ached from dehydration, nevermind he was missing those with whom he most wanted to speak with. And now Mister Bomb was being pedantic.

"Thank you, Mister Bomb," he said levelly, before returning to his shouting. "Soot! Miss Rinda! If this is a joke, you may consider us duly fooled!"

Grease flattened her ears against her head and winced. That was going to hurt. She opened her mouth, intending to tell him to pipe down.

But then the thought occurred to her. Soot was indeed not back yet, and they did indeed need her. So, she waved Dive Bomb over to her instead.

"Just let him keep yelling," she said groggily. "Who knows, that might be just what she needs to find us." She winced again as Crown let out another bellow. "Rrrgh. I need water. Soon. Speaking of which..."

Grease pulled out her notebook, and opened to the page with her basic plans for the water apparatus. "Here, help me get this together," she said. "I think we have enough bits and pieces in the sled to jury-rig something together."

Balmas
2014-04-08, 02:18 AM
"I suppose," Dive Bomb murmured as, ears flat, he padded over to peer at the drawing.

There really wasn't a right answer; if Soot was in trouble, then they needed to get over there as quickly as they could. On the other hand, Soot was fairly competent. She could do spells to distract, make herself invisible, and who knew what else? For all he knew, trying to help Soot could be making things worse, or even leading all of his friends into a trap. To go and help her was at the same time the most important thing to do, and something to be avoided at all costs.

Dive Bomb took a deep, shuddering breath, and forced his wings to lie flat on his back again. "I don't know much about magic. What do you need me to do?"

BlasTech
2014-04-08, 06:44 PM

The only thing Cork's yelling achieved was a pounding headache for all those in the the room.

"Bwagh! I'm awake, I'm awake!"

Oh yeah, and waking up their resident guardpony.

Apart from that, only the slight stirring of sand on the windowsills answered his call.

One Tin Soldier
2014-04-09, 02:40 AM
"I suppose," Dive Bomb murmured as, ears flat, he padded over to peer at the drawing.

There really wasn't a right answer; if Soot was in trouble, then they needed to get over there as quickly as they could. On the other hand, Soot was fairly competent. She could do spells to distract, make herself invisible, and who knew what else? For all he knew, trying to help Soot could be making things worse, or even leading all of his friends into a trap. To go and help her was at the same time the most important thing to do, and something to be avoided at all costs.

Dive Bomb took a deep, shuddering breath, and forced his wings to lie flat on his back again. "I don't know much about magic. What do you need me to do?"

"We need containers for the water, and something for the water to flow along. Anything that will get it from Point A to Point B will do. Rubber tubing, straws, anything that might work."

The two of them dug into the contents of the sled, bringing out anything that looked even a little bit useful. Once they had accrued a decent pile of materials, Grease brought a couple tools out of her bags and got to work, directing Dive Bomb as necessary.

Mind 5 + Mechanic 4 + Jury-Rig 3 + Improvised Tool 1 + Harmony 1 - Dehydration 2 = 12
Rolled twice for Adaptable
10+12=22
17+12=29

After about 5 minutes of assembly, the apparatus had been put together. It was a bit ramshackle, consisting of several bottles and cans, surrounding a raised plate which would hold the talisman, with channels connecting the two. It would have to be kept completely still while in use, or else the whole thing would likely fall over, but by Grease's estimation it would work.

"There. Now we're done with the easy part."

BlasTech
2014-04-09, 08:10 PM
Easy part was right, but that didn't make it any less painful to look at. The kludge of components that Grease had rigged together resembled the output of a master marrionette maker ... who had long ago gone blind and, more recently, imbibed a prohibitive amount of booze.

The construct teetred in the wind, but remained upright. Now there was just the matter of fixing the talisman into it ... and fixing breakfast.

In the meantime, Iggy had strolled over and was munching on a carrot rather noisily.

TheAmishPirate
2014-04-09, 09:18 PM
"Soot! Miss Riiiiiiindaaaa-*ack* *cough* *cough!*" Crown's bellow died away to a pathetic cough from his ravaged throat. Accursed lack of water, leaving him high and dry at a moment like this! He scanned the room for any signs of the missing pair, and his eyes fell on the dozy guardspony.

His ears perked up; was there still hope yet? "Ah, hallo! Mister Igenous, wait!" He stumbled and slid his way down Rocky to intercept the guard before he could slip away.

BlasTech
2014-04-09, 10:39 PM
Iggy turned as Crown approached, biting off another mouthful of carrot.

"Eh. What's up, colt?" he asked, as he munched away happily.

TheAmishPirate
2014-04-09, 11:08 PM
Iggy turned as Crown approached, biting off another mouthful of carrot.

"Eh. What's up, colt?" he asked, as he munched away happily.

Crown skidded to a clumsy halt just in front of the guard. "That memory-crystal thing - the one with the magical blacksmithing camel - do you still have it?" he asked intently.

BlasTech
2014-04-09, 11:21 PM
"Uhh, yeah, I think I do." he replied, after swallowing the remainder of his breakfast. "I mean, I haven't thrown anything in those bags out in ages, so it's a fairly good bet it's still in there. Did you want me to get it?"

TheAmishPirate
2014-04-10, 12:30 PM
"Perfect!" Crown clopped his hooves. "If you would be so kind, we may find our missing friends yet!"

Balmas
2014-04-10, 12:45 PM
Dive Bomb eased a wing off a knot of twine and admired the ramshackle creation. A device to create water. What a boon that could be to a community without pegasi, or some other way to control the weather. All lines fed into that single talisman. If only he could find a way to replicate that... "How do these talismans work, Grease?"

Ravian
2014-04-10, 06:53 PM
"Y'hear that sarge, them ponies are afraid of our military!"

The two griffon guards shared a genuine laugh before the larger of the two leaned down to talk to Soot again. In that moment, it was clear just how much more massive a fully grown griffon was when compared to a pony - and that grin looked distinctly predatory.

"Good." he replied. "We want you to fear us - we're not diplomats, nor namby pamby ambassadors. We're soldiers. Now, the regs are quite clear on this aren't they, private?"

"Yes they are Sarge"

"And what do they say?"

"Civilians found attempting to enter restricted areas are to be given clear instructions that the area is off limits. Subsequent to this, the guard must give one further verbal warning before use of force is authorised."

"Very good, private. You'll get your first stripe soon." said the griffon, whose eyes had never left Soot.

"So here you go, pony. I'm giving you your clear instructions, just so's there's no misunderstanding that we're following the regs here - This place is restricted. So again, buzz off."

[This is about as far as you're going to go on this line of conversation without a roll.]

"Well I guess I can go report about your rampant xenophobia, and how you're going to invade us any day." Soot said thoughtfully "I'm sure that'll go over well with a nation whose ruler controls the flicking Sun." her smile switched from convincing to oh so slightly sinister.

Heart 3
[roll0]

((Soot's really going to start working on this acting thing isn't she. :smalltongue: Guess I know what she's spending her XP on come the end of this.))

BlasTech
2014-04-10, 07:09 PM
"Perfect!" Crown clopped his hooves. "If you would be so kind, we may find our missing friends yet!"

"Okie dokie." replied Iggy, before he trotted away and stuck his head into his saddlebags. The guardpony was thus occupied for what seemed like a slightly longer period of time before he extracted his head once more with a peturbed expression on his face.

"Darndest thing, I can't find it anywhere!" he exclaimed.

Meanwhile, part of his normally white mane was glowing orange, thanks to a certain gemstone that had gotten tangled up there.

"Well I guess I can go report about your rampant xenophobia, and how you're going to invade us any day." Soot said thoughtfully "I'm sure that'll go over well with a nation whose ruler controls the flicking Sun." her smile switched from convincing to oh so slightly sinister.

Heart 3
[roll0]

((Soot's really going to start working on this acting thing isn't she. :smalltongue: Guess I know what she's spending her XP on come the end of this.))

Clearly unamused, the griffon loomed over her while the second tightened his grip on his spear.

"And now your last warning; buzz off, or we'll mail your sorry carcass to your namby pamby princess ... in pieces."

[DC was 20, -2 penalty for argument.]

One Tin Soldier
2014-04-11, 12:48 AM
Dive Bomb eased a wing off a knot of twine and admired the ramshackle creation. A device to create water. What a boon that could be to a community without pegasi, or some other way to control the weather. All lines fed into that single talisman. If only he could find a way to replicate that... "How do these talismans work, Grease?"

"Well, ah, I can't say for certain," Grease started, "But it seems to use a source of magic, either stored or active, to resonate with the surrounding ether. It does so at, hmm, frequencies..." She carried on like that for a solid minute. Thanks to the combination of highly technical jargon and Grease's headache-induced speech patterns, it was a tad difficult to follow.

"What it boils down to, though, is this," she said, once she had finished with the long version. "I'm going to have to sit down at this for a while to prepare the talisman for use. Then, we're going to need either a unicorn or a power gem to make the thing run." Her face lightened up a bit before she continued. "Once that's all done, though, we should have a good amount of water available for drinking. My guess is it'll be about a day's worth, though I won't know for sure until I see."

Balmas
2014-04-11, 02:05 AM
"I... See," Dive Bomb said. He didn't. But at least he'd been able to understand that the talismans probably wouldn't be feasible in pure earth pony communities, or at least, not without some form of stored magic. Dive Bomb had heard of such places, though he couldn't really claim to understand it why you'd want to live somewhere without pegasi or unicorns.

"If it works, we could stay here for at least a day more," he murmured, more to himself than to anyone else. The low thrumm of the shield outside prompted him to add, "Not like we have much of a choice. Is there anything I can do to help you for this part?"

TheAmishPirate
2014-04-11, 03:58 PM
"Okie dokie." replied Iggy, before he trotted away and stuck his head into his saddlebags. The guardpony was thus occupied for what seemed like a slightly longer period of time before he extracted his head once more with a peturbed expression on his face.

"Darndest thing, I can't find it anywhere!" he exclaimed.

Meanwhile, part of his normally white mane was glowing orange, thanks to a certain gemstone that had gotten tangled up there.

The light from the gemstone reflected in Crown's eager eyes. "Brilliant! Just what the doctor ordered!" He reared up and nipped the gem out of Igneous' tangled mane. "Hank euu!" he exclaimed around the stone in his teeth, and pranced over to the relative quiet beside Rocky. Placing the gem on the floor, he moved his hooves close around it until they were nearly touching. His eyes probed its depths, his will bore down upon it, his eye twitched with concentration. "Come on El'Woden...talk to me...need your dream-powers..." he muttered to himself.

No rock - dumb or otherwise - would keep him from his friends. He would win this contest of wills.

Eventually.

BlasTech
2014-04-11, 07:07 PM
"Uhh ... are you alright Mister Cork?" asked Iggy.

The colt had spent a good couple of minutes staring at the stone and muttering to himself under his breath. So far, the gem didn't seem to be responding to his entreaties. It was still pleasantly warm in his hooves, but did not seem to be able or willing to assist in his search.

TheAmishPirate
2014-04-11, 09:23 PM
"Uhh ... are you alright Mister Cork?" asked Iggy.

The colt had spent a good couple of minutes staring at the stone and muttering to himself under his breath. So far, the gem didn't seem to be responding to his entreaties. It was still pleasantly warm in his hooves, but did not seem to be able or willing to assist in his search.

"Never better!" Crown smiled widely, not taking his eyes off the gem. "I'm merely trying to coax the memory of El'Woden out of his little home and convince him to use his dreamwalking prowess to locate our missing friends."

A vein gently pulsed on his forehead.

"...that...is a rather desperate plan, isn't it?"

Ravian
2014-04-12, 10:55 AM
Clearly unamused, the griffon loomed over her while the second tightened his grip on his spear.

"And now your last warning; buzz off, or we'll mail your sorry carcass to your namby pamby princess ... in pieces."

[DC was 20, -2 penalty for argument.]

Soot sighed, she was going to have to work on this negotiating thing more. Guess that left plan B. "Well I suppose if you really feel that way..." she looked up at the ceiling and shouted "OH PRINCESS!" once their eyes were off of her for just a moment she cast her darkness spell.

Mind 4 + Spell 1 + Tool 2 + Willpower 9 (thank Celestia for inspirational speeches :smalltongue:) = +16
[roll0]

One Tin Soldier
2014-04-12, 12:06 PM
"I... See," Dive Bomb said. He didn't. But at least he'd been able to understand that the talismans probably wouldn't be feasible in pure earth pony communities, or at least, not without some form of stored magic. Dive Bomb had heard of such places, though he couldn't really claim to understand it why you'd want to live somewhere without pegasi or unicorns.

"If it works, we could stay here for at least a day more," he murmured, more to himself than to anyone else. The low thrumm of the shield outside prompted him to add, "Not like we have much of a choice. Is there anything I can do to help you for this part?"

"They could potentially allow us to stay much longer. Especially if we find more of them," Grease said. "But I think they'll serve us better on the trail.

"As for whether you can help me..." she mulled it over for a second, trying to think of any way the pegasus could be of assistance. "Sorry, I think this next part's a one-pony job. Though once that part's done, I will need Igneous, or perhaps Soot if you find her by then."

Balmas
2014-04-12, 02:26 PM
Dive Bomb nodded in understanding. After all, she couldn't teach everything there was to learn about magic in a day, and he couldn't absorb it all. "Alright."

Of course, that just left him with his thoughts, and they weren't the best company right now.

BlasTech
2014-04-12, 10:32 PM
Soot sighed, she was going to have to work on this negotiating thing more. Guess that left plan B. "Well I suppose if you really feel that way..." she looked up at the ceiling and shouted "OH PRINCESS!" once their eyes were off of her for just a moment she cast her darkness spell.

Mind 4 + Spell 1 + Tool 2 + Willpower 9 (thank Celestia for inspirational speeches :smalltongue:) = +16
[roll0]

The corridor plunged into blackness. Up and down the corridor, griffons cried out in surprise as the simple task of walking forwards became an inexplicably much harder challenge. The two guards, however, had a better idea of what had happened.

"Wha -"

"Grab her!"

[DC10 body check to dodge. +4 bonus due to darkness]

"Never better!" Crown smiled widely, not taking his eyes off the gem. "I'm merely trying to coax the memory of El'Woden out of his little home and convince him to use his dreamwalking prowess to locate our missing friends."

A vein gently pulsed on his forehead.

"...that...is a rather desperate plan, isn't it?"

"Uh ... makes perfect sense to me!" replied the guard, giving another sterling endorsement to the inanity of Cork's chosen course.

Ravian
2014-04-13, 11:02 AM
Soot gave a leap backwards to avoid the flailing griffons
Body 2 + 4 Darkness
[roll0]

BlasTech
2014-04-13, 11:29 PM
Soot gave a leap backwards to avoid the flailing griffons
Body 2 + 4 Darkness
[roll0]

Soot heard the two griffons thud into each other behind her, as they both took a swing for the unicorn and missed. In that instant, she was able to slip the door open wide enough to duck inside before anyone out there noticed. As soon as the heavy oak door swung shut, most of the noise from the other side of the doorway died away.

She found herself standing at the back of a courtroom, long wooden pews to either side that held a hoof-full of spectators to the day's proceedings. Nopony really paid Soot any attention as she entered, although a griffon guard in the aisle did look up at her before nodding in the direction of one of the seats.

http://www.bhgrlaw.com/files/content-images/Heidi%20C%20Potter%20for%20web.jpg

A trio of distinguished looking griffons occupied the judge's bench at the far end of the chamber, listening as another elderly griffon droned on at them about the finer points of legalease. However, Soot's eyes immediately went to the dock, just to the left of the judges, where a pair of younger griffons sat. The younger of the two, she didn't recognise - some griffoness with dark grey headfeathers and brown eyes - but the one to her side was most definitely Rinda, albeit looking a few years younger than she did now.

The remaining inhabitants of the room were mostly clerks, or otherwise passive observers. However she did spot the Ambassador, seated on the pews at the rear of the courtoom.

"They could potentially allow us to stay much longer. Especially if we find more of them," Grease said. "But I think they'll serve us better on the trail.

"As for whether you can help me..." she mulled it over for a second, trying to think of any way the pegasus could be of assistance. "Sorry, I think this next part's a one-pony job. Though once that part's done, I will need Igneous, or perhaps Soot if you find her by then."

Nothing much else interrupted the ponies as they finished their breakfast, affording Grease time to get to work on one of the talismans.

If things went according to plan, the kludge of a setup would provide a ration of water by the day's end. If not, well, there was always the next talisman.

[You can go ahead and take the roll now, or set it aside to make more of the frames. You've got about 30 minutes of uninterrupted time before the next scene anyway.]

Balmas
2014-04-14, 12:00 AM
Dive Bomb sat in the doorway of the large chamber, staring at nothing in particular. The shield reflected in his eyes as he thought, a giant, upside down bowl trapping them here.

His fault.

No, not his fault. That one could be laid squarely at the feet of the strange dragon-sand-critter. If it weren't for him, they could be moving already.

If it weren't for Rinda.

Dive Bomb groaned and stared up at the shield again. Part of him wanted simply to fly up, see if it was even there. Maybe he'd just soar through it like a green film. Or maybe he'd just bounce off.

TheAmishPirate
2014-04-14, 03:16 PM
"Uh ... makes perfect sense to me!" replied the guard, giving another sterling endorsement to the inanity of Cork's chosen course.

Crown gave a moaning sigh, and his head sank until his forehead rested on the gem. "Brilliant. Soot and Miss Rinda both missing, and the best I can do is engage in a staring contest with a...a silly rock!"

"No offense," he added, gaze flitting up to their stony guardian.

Still, nothing quite stung so badly as uselessness upon the dawning of a new morning. Who could have guessed that removing all resources, contacts, and physical necessities would render a pony so helpless? Yet here he was, sitting between a rock, a harsh place, and a second, smaller rock. He cast one last, longing glance at the unintelligible Rocky, before turning back to the guardspony. "Mister Igneous, you and your family work in rocks and things, yes? What do you do when you encounter a boulder too large and hardy to deal with?"

BlasTech
2014-04-14, 06:58 PM
Crown gave a moaning sigh, and his head sank until his forehead rested on the gem. "Brilliant. Soot and Miss Rinda both missing, and the best I can do is engage in a staring contest with a...a silly rock!"

"No offense," he added, gaze flitting up to their stony guardian.

"Neque minuitur" rumbled Rocky.

Still, nothing quite stung so badly as uselessness upon the dawning of a new morning. Who could have guessed that removing all resources, contacts, and physical necessities would render a pony so helpless? Yet here he was, sitting between a rock, a harsh place, and a second, smaller rock. He cast one last, longing glance at the unintelligible Rocky, before turning back to the guardspony. "Mister Igneous, you and your family work in rocks and things, yes? What do you do when you encounter a boulder too large and hardy to deal with?"

"Too big and too hard?" replied Iggy, scratching the back of his helmet with a hoof.

"I guess that's when we call for help. The bigger the rock, the more you need, but I've never seen one so far that couldn't be worked down by a group of ponies."

TheAmishPirate
2014-04-14, 08:50 PM
"Too big and too hard?" replied Iggy, scratching the back of his helmet with a hoof.

"I guess that's when we call for help. The bigger the rock, the more you need, but I've never seen one so far that couldn't be worked down by a group of ponies."

"And what if all of your help were ungra-aaaaaaciously mean-spirited?" Crown mentally wiped the sweat from his metaphorical brow. "Suppose everypony you could call either won't help for reasons far too nasty and incomprehensible to understand, how would you deal with the boulder then?"

BlasTech
2014-04-14, 09:06 PM
"They won't help?" replied the guard, shocked. "What did I do to them? Is this because I didn't go to Aunt Mabel's birthday party? I sent her a card! It was a very nice card! I told her I was sorry that I'd been assigned to Manehatten that month!!"

The guard started hyperventilating.

"Or maybe it was one of my other cousins, what'sername. She said she enjoyed that pie I baked, but she didn't smile. She. Didn't. Smile. I mean she never smiles, but still. Not even a smirk? A quirk? I'd take a tilting of the tiniest tippy corner of a lip!!!"

TheAmishPirate
2014-04-14, 09:30 PM
"They won't help?" replied the guard, shocked.

"No, that's not what I-"

"What did I do to them? Is this because I didn't go to Aunt Mabel's birthday party? I sent her a card! It was a very nice card! I told her I was sorry that I'd been assigned to Manehatten that month!!"

"Mister Igneous, just listen-"

The guard started hyperventilating.

"Mister Igneous."

"Or maybe it was one of my other cousins, what'sername. She said she enjoyed that pie I baked, but she didn't smile. She. Didn't. Smile. I mean she never smiles, but still. Not even a smirk? A quirk? I'd take a tilting of the tiniest tippy corner of a lip!!!"

"Mister Igneous!" Crown reached out and lightly booped the guardspony's muzzle. "Nopony's refused to help, you haven't done anything to upset your family, and I'm sure Cousin What'sername absolutely loved your pie."

Sometimes, fate enjoyed letting its liars and double-talkers steep in their own bitter brew before pouring out its ironic comeuppance. Other times, fate couldn't give two flicks about dramatic timing and opted to settle accounts immediately.

BlasTech
2014-04-14, 10:26 PM
"Oh thank Celestia." replied Iggy, grabbing on to Crown cork and hugging him close.

"I was really worried for a moment there."

TheAmishPirate
2014-04-15, 04:41 PM
Crown gasped in surprise at the sudden, tight hug. That, or Igneous' armor-clad limbs squeezed the air from his poor lungs. Perhaps a little of both. "It's fine. Really. Nothing to worry about," the colt grunted out, wriggling his own forelegs around the guards' armor and patting him reassuringly for...something. Whatever crisis he'd just averted. Hopefully it served as reminder enough for the stallion to let go sometime this morning.

Hopefully. :smallwink:

BlasTech
2014-04-15, 08:16 PM
"Great!" replied Iggy, letting Crown drop back to the floor with a thump. "So what were we talking about again?"

He paused, and one got the distinct impression that the unicorn's brain was quickly rebooting.

"Oh yeah, Rocks!"

"Well, if you have one that is too big for you to carry, and too hard for you to break down, then you have to work with the others. I mean, if they were all being weird and stuff, then I guess I'd try to find out more about why they don't want to help? Talk to them a bit? I mean, I can get if they're busy or something ... but I don't get why they just wouldn't want to help me. I'm likable, right? At least that's what all the other guards said. Sometimes."

"Or is this just one of those hyper-theticals? Cause if that's the case, and nopony is going to help (so weird!), then I guess you'd just have to start planning on a rock feature in your garden."

Ravian
2014-04-15, 09:52 PM
Soot heard the two griffons thud into each other behind her, as they both took a swing for the unicorn and missed. In that instant, she was able to slip the door open wide enough to duck inside before anyone out there noticed. As soon as the heavy oak door swung shut, most of the noise from the other side of the doorway died away.

She found herself standing at the back of a courtroom, long wooden pews to either side that held a hoof-full of spectators to the day's proceedings. Nopony really paid Soot any attention as she entered, although a griffon guard in the aisle did look up at her before nodding in the direction of one of the seats.

http://www.bhgrlaw.com/files/content-images/Heidi%20C%20Potter%20for%20web.jpg

A trio of distinguished looking griffons occupied the judge's bench at the far end of the chamber, listening as another elderly griffon droned on at them about the finer points of legalease. However, Soot's eyes immediately went to the dock, just to the left of the judges, where a pair of younger griffons sat. The elder of the two, she didn't recognise - some griffoness with dark grey headfeathers and brown eyes - but the one to her side was most definitely a younger Rinda.

The remaining inhabitants of the room were mostly clerks, or otherwise passive observers. However she did spot the Ambassador, seated on the pews at the rear of the courtoom.

Soot wordlessly trotted over to one of the seats near the back, trying to look as inconspicuous as a unicorn could in a room full of griffons.

Balmas
2014-04-16, 01:37 AM
Rocks. Dive Bomb sighed to himself as he dug in his saddlebags for the green stone.

Trust. That went to all his friends. And for once, nobody actually knew more about this than Iggy. "Would it help you if you had Vereia's stone as well, Cork?"

TheAmishPirate
2014-04-16, 06:18 PM
"Great!" replied Iggy, letting Crown drop back to the floor with a thump. "So what were we talking about again?"

He paused, and one got the distinct impression that the unicorn's brain was quickly rebooting.

"Oh yeah, Rocks!"

"Well, if you have one that is too big for you to carry, and too hard for you to break down, then you have to work with the others. I mean, if they were all being weird and stuff, then I guess I'd try to find out more about why they don't want to help? Talk to them a bit? I mean, I can get if they're busy or something ... but I don't get why they just wouldn't want to help me. I'm likable, right? At least that's what all the other guards said. Sometimes."

"Or is this just one of those hyper-theticals? Cause if that's the case, and nopony is going to help (so weird!), then I guess you'd just have to start planning on a rock feature in your garden."

Crown's head ached, and it wasn't just from lack of water. "Yes, Mister Igneous," he sighed. "I'm afraid this is just a hyper-thetical. A metaphysical garden with an all-too solid rock squashing my conjectured cabbage."

Rocks. Dive Bomb sighed to himself as he dug in his saddlebags for the green stone.

Trust. That went to all his friends. And for once, nobody actually knew more about this than Iggy. "Would it help you if you had Vereia's stone as well, Cork?"

...or perhaps not? What in Celestia's name have we been drinking?! Or not drinking, rather?

Crown none-too-subtly pinched himself, then stifled a yelp and rubbed his poor foreleg. "Your...guess would be as good as mine, but I hardly see how it could hurt?" He shrugged. "Bring it over; perhaps their ancient friendship might spark something."

Balmas
2014-04-16, 06:47 PM
Dive Bomb settled himself alongside their guard in shining armor and slid the green stone to meet her brother. "Igneous, you said that your family is from a rock farm, correct? What can you tell us about these stones?"

BlasTech
2014-04-16, 08:02 PM
Soot wordlessly trotted over to one of the seats near the back, trying to look as inconspicuous as a unicorn could in a room full of griffons.

Soot only received a few glances as she plopped down on one of the benches. The longest one came from the ambassador, seated further along the row from her, but he soon turned back to watching the proceedings. At the stand, the elderly barrister was delivering his closing statements.

"... and, such that it is, pertaining to paragraph 43E of subsection M to regulation A-113, the evidence does support the claim put forth in articles three through six of the crown's case. In summary, it seems evident to this court that the events documented in the testimony of witnesses A through to G is, indeed, factual. And that the defendants, being Mistresses Rinda and Karen Greyfeather, did clearly and unequivocally perform in acts contrary to both the letter and spirit of regulation A-113."

"Consequently, on the aforementioned charges of dereliction of duty and abandonment of one's posts, we posit that the two defendants are clearly guilty, and should be disciplined under the full measure of the law."

"The defence rests." said the barrister, who gave a formal bow before resuming his seat. The judges took a moment to confer, while the requisite murmur of conversation started up in the courtroom.

Crown's head ached, and it wasn't just from lack of water. "Yes, Mister Igneous," he sighed. "I'm afraid this is just a hyper-thetical. A metaphysical garden with an all-too solid rock squashing my conjectured cabbage."

...or perhaps not? What in Celestia's name have we been drinking?! Or not drinking, rather?

Crown none-too-subtly pinched himself, then stifled a yelp and rubbed his poor foreleg. "Your...guess would be as good as mine, but I hardly see how it could hurt?" He shrugged. "Bring it over; perhaps their ancient friendship might spark something."

The two gems glowed brighter in proximity with one another, casting a pleasant feeling of warmth over the three ponies gathered there. But they didn't seem to be doing much else.

Dive Bomb settled himself alongside their guard in shining armor and slid the green stone to meet her brother. "Igneous, you said that your family is from a rock farm, correct? What can you tell us about these stones?"

"Only that they really don't look like any gemstone I've ever seen." he replied, squinting at the two stones in front of them. "I mean, all of our ones make sharp shapes because of the way they crystallize in the ground, or in rocks - due to the way the magical ley energy coalesces. These ones looks way too ... lumpy ... to be naturally occurring."

It had been a remarkably erudite comment from the normally airheaded pony.

"Fuzzy warm though."

Well, it had been nice while it lasted.

One Tin Soldier
2014-04-16, 08:13 PM
As Dive Bomb walked off to talk with Crown, Grease got one of the talismans out of her bag. This was probably going to be a pain without an ihmometer to measure magical resistance, but it wouldn't require any any actual magic, so she could do it herself. Fortunately for her, the engineers who enchanted all of the technology in Sanctum City seemed rather fond of using visible exterior lines to direct the magical flow.

Still, it would take a decent chunk of time to get everything aligned properly, so the sooner she got started, the sooner they could all have their water.

Mind 5 + Magical Theory 3 + Mechanic 4 - Dehydration 2 = 10
Rolled twice for Adaptable
10+10=20
15+10=25

A few minutes later, Grease was well into the swing of preparing the talisman. Her headache, while still there, faded into the background as she worked. She was fairly confident that she could get everything into alignment without any trouble.

[Given the time frame, Grease won't finish her work right now, but I did succeed on the roll, so once everyone else's conversation has progressed further I'll have her finish.]

BlasTech
2014-04-16, 08:20 PM
It was a bit tricky, particularly without appropriate tools. If it had been anypony but grease doing it, there was a good chance the talisman would have broken.

As it was, she was fairly confident that she'd managed to make it work on the first try. The only step left was the power.

Having gotten some practice, it would also mean that subsequent tries should be easier.

[-2 penalty for lack of tools. But Grease passes on the second check. One talisman is now prepped for use, but requires a power source. If powered, it will produce one ration of water by the end of the day. Now that Grease has 'cracked the case' for the talisman, the second stage will require less time and effort on her part going forward (DC 15 and 10 minutes for all remaining talismans).]

Balmas
2014-04-16, 08:48 PM
"Only that they really don't look like any gemstone I've ever seen." he replied, squinting at the two stones in front of them. "I mean, all of our ones make sharp shapes because of the way they crystallize in the ground, or in rocks - due to the way the magical ley energy coalesces. These ones looks way too ... lumpy ... to be naturally occurring."

It had been a remarkably erudite comment from the normally airheaded pony.

"Fuzzy warm though."

Well, it had been nice while it lasted.

"So the way gems form is due to natural magic energy and the way it acts?" Dive Bomb considered that. "Could the ley energy be different here?"

BlasTech
2014-04-16, 09:03 PM
"So the way gems form is due to natural magic energy and the way it acts?" Dive Bomb considered that. "Could the ley energy be different here?"

"Maaaaaybe." replied Iggy. "But I dunno. I always thought Ley was Ley, y'know? Doesn't seem much different casting a spell here than back home, but I'm no magic genius type pony."

TheAmishPirate
2014-04-16, 10:08 PM
The two gems glowed brighter in proximity with one another, casting a pleasant feeling of warmth over the three ponies gathered there. But they didn't seem to be doing much else.

As the other two ponies chatted, Crown stared intently at the two gems. Generally, when things glowed brighter it meant something was working. Unless this ancient magical rock technology operated in reverse, in which case they'd ruined everything. Opting for the former, he tapped the two rocks together to see what might happen. Perhaps a stony hoofshake would rustle the two memories from their homes? In fact, the more he looked at it, these lumps on the green one looked a tad like the griffonness' headfeathers. And this bulge on the orange matched El'woden's perfectly. Arrange them just so, imagine where the hooves and talons might be...

"...good day, Miss Veriea." The orange stone growled out.

"Good day, Mister El'Woden." The green stone squeaked.

Crown made the old friends shake hooves and talons.

BlasTech
2014-04-16, 10:26 PM
"NOW KISS!"

The cry echoed around the chamber, deafening in suddenness and volume. By the time everything finally returned to stillness, the three colts were standing around the two gemstones, each eyeing the others askance.

"Er ... who said."

"Did you?"

"It wasn't."

"Let us never speak of this again." added Iggy, garnering emphatic nods from the others present.

The two gemstones sparked slightly as they touched, a faint web of magic flickering around them in rainbow hues. It was gone in an eyeblink, difficult to catch a glimpse of in that short moment.

TheAmishPirate
2014-04-17, 09:53 PM
"NOW KISS!"

The cry echoed around the chamber, deafening in suddenness and volume. By the time everything finally returned to stillness, the three colts were standing around the two gemstones, each eyeing the others askance.

"Er ... who said."

"Did you?"

"It wasn't."

"Let us never speak of this again." added Iggy, garnering emphatic nods from the others present.

The two gemstones sparked slightly as they touched, a faint web of magic flickering around them in rainbow hues. It was gone in an eyeblink, difficult to catch a glimpse of in that short moment.

Crown flinched and rubbed his eyes. Had he really imagined that, or was there some manner of spark? Whatever it was, it was gone now. Unless...

"...good day again, Miss Veriea." The orange stone growled out.

"Good day a second time, Mister El'Woden." The green stone squeaked.

Crown made the old friends shake hooves and talons. For old time's sake. And this time, he watched them so closely his snout nearly pressed against the stones.

Balmas
2014-04-18, 06:00 PM
"Maaaaaybe." replied Iggy. "But I dunno. I always thought Ley was Ley, y'know? Doesn't seem much different casting a spell here than back home, but I'm no magic genius type pony."

"Well, remember the memory, how they moved the rocks around? Could that do it?"

BlasTech
2014-04-18, 08:11 PM
Crown made the old friends shake hooves and talons. For old time's sake. And this time, he watched them so closely his snout nearly pressed against the stones.

Again the gems touched and again there was the barest flicker of rainbow light.

It was impossible for a pony like Crown, unschooled in the magical arts, to be able to tell what was going on. It was clear though, that whatever the effect was, it was not doing much more than producing some pretty lights.

"Well, remember the memory, how they moved the rocks around? Could that do it?"

"Again ... Maaaaayyyybe" replied Iggy. "I mean, we move rocks around all the time back home. Never heard of them acting like those memory sponge stones. And never heard of them turning out gems like these either."

Balmas
2014-04-18, 08:40 PM
Well, that was... less than enlightening. Still, it was better than the absolutely no idea he'd have had without Igneous' help. Dive Bomb nodded, cataloging the information. Unusual rock shape, of unknown manufacturer. Maybe someday he could figure those out, but right now they had other problems.

"Any progress, Cork?"

TheAmishPirate
2014-04-19, 04:13 PM
Well, that was... less than enlightening. Still, it was better than the absolutely no idea he'd have had without Igneous' help. Dive Bomb nodded, cataloging the information. Unusual rock shape, of unknown manufacturer. Maybe someday he could figure those out, but right now they had other problems.

"Any progress, Cork?"

Crown looked up from his work and blew a stray forelock from his eyes. "Minimal, though I have discovered one property of these rocks." He cleared his throat.

"...I keep running into you, Miss Veriea." The orange stone growled out.

"It is a pleasant surprise, Mister El'Woden." The green stone squeaked.

Crown pressed the stones together a third time. "I'm unsure if the dialogue is necessary, but after so long I imagine they'd want to speak to each other again," he explained.

Ravian
2014-04-20, 11:23 PM
Soot only received a few glances as she plopped down on one of the benches. The longest one came from the ambassador, seated further along the row from her, but he soon turned back to watching the proceedings. At the stand, the elderly barrister was delivering his closing statements.

"... and, such that it is, pertaining to paragraph 43E of subsection M to regulation A-113, the evidence does support the claim put forth in articles three through six of the crown's case. In summary, it seems evident to this court that the events documented in the testimony of witnesses A through to G is, indeed, factual. And that the defendants, being Mistresses Rinda and Karen Greyfeather, did clearly and unequivocally perform in acts contrary to both the letter and spirit of regulation A-113."

"Consequently, on the aforementioned charges of dereliction of duty and abandonment of one's posts, we posit that the two defendants are clearly guilty, and should be disciplined under the full measure of the law."

"The defence rests." said the barrister, who gave a formal bow before resuming his seat. The judges took a moment to confer, while the requisite murmur of conversation started up in the courtroom.

Honestly Soot could barely understand what all that talk was supposed to mean. As far as she understood, Rinda and this other griffon had left their post or disobeyed an order or something. All she could do was wait and listen and see what would happen next.

One Tin Soldier
2014-04-21, 12:04 AM
"... Alright, that should be it," Grease said, standing up from her work. She walked over to where the other ponies were loosely gathered. "The talisman is all set to go," she said. "All we need now is to power it up, and we'll have all the water we need. Igneous, do you think you can do that?"

BlasTech
2014-04-21, 08:24 AM
Honestly Soot could barely understand what all that talk was supposed to mean. As far as she understood, Rinda and this other griffon had left their post or disobeyed an order or something. All she could do was wait and listen and see what would happen next.

The banging of the gavel brought an orderly silence to the room once again. Once he was satisfied, the lead judge spoke again, his voice a deep, Cerberus-like growl.

"Thankyou for your submission, councillor. The panel is ready to render judgement."

"Given the nature of the offence, and the consequences thereof, this court rules that a sentence of dishonourable discharge be visited upon both parties, pursuant to the relevant items of statue and regulations. The two of you will report to barracks at 0800 hours tomorrow for formal dismissal by your commanding office-"

"I OBJECT!!"

The judge, and the entire court, jerked in surprise as the smaller griffoness slammed her talons on the bench in front of her. The head judge recovered first, fixing her with a penetrating glare.

"Now, mistress Karen, this conduct is not helping you. If you seek to sway our judg-"

"I lied okay?" she cried. "I'm the one to blame!"

The courtroom exploded into murmurs again as the judges shared a collective frown.

"What are you saying, young lady? Are you admitting to perjury on top of your other crimes?"

"Sis, don't." hissed Rinda, placing a talon on the darker griffon's forearm. Karen glanced down for a second, before shaking herself free from Rinda's grip.

"Yes I am!" she declared. "I was the one who left, Rinda only came after me to bring me back. She should not be punished for what I did!"

"No!" cried Rinda, now also launching to her feet and turning pleading eyes on the judges. "Don't listen to her! She's lying!"

The murmurs grew louder.

"Order! Order!" shouted the judge. "Baliffs, clear the court! We must adjourn to reconsider our verdict."

Everything blended together, Rinda's yells, Karen's defiant proclamations, the elbows and feathers as griffons bodily forced those in the pews, including Soot, out of the room. It all swirled together in a maelstrom of noise and colour, and the very last thing Soot heard was the ambassador's voice.

"Terrible." he muttered.

And then Soot was back in blackness, a trio of inky black orbs in front of her.

[Spot roll, please]

"... Alright, that should be it," Grease said, standing up from her work. She walked over to where the other ponies were loosely gathered. "The talisman is all set to go," she said. "All we need now is to power it up, and we'll have all the water we need. Igneous, do you think you can do that?"

"Uh, sure." replied Iggy. The uniformed guardpony looked over the hodgepodge of items that she had set up, before sitting down next to Grease.

"So whaddya need me to do?"

Crown looked up from his work and blew a stray forelock from his eyes. "Minimal, though I have discovered one property of these rocks." He cleared his throat.

"...I keep running into you, Miss Veriea." The orange stone growled out.

"It is a pleasant surprise, Mister El'Woden." The green stone squeaked.

Crown pressed the stones together a third time. "I'm unsure if the dialogue is necessary, but after so long I imagine they'd want to speak to each other again," he explained.

"You know, I never did take you for a foal that played with dolls." purred a oily, and distressingly familiar, voice from behind Crown.

"Even ones such as these."

Sand stirred along the ground, even though there was no wind present.

"Now that is interesting. Where did you find those gems?"

TheAmishPirate
2014-04-21, 04:00 PM
"You know, I never did take you for a foal that played with dolls." purred a oily, and distressingly familiar, voice from behind Crown.

"Even ones such as these."

Sand stirred along the ground, even though there was no wind present.

"Now that is interesting. Where did you find those gems?"

Of course. Too many ponies had inexplicably turned friendly for something not to go wrong. Fate had been in a powerful hurry to balance its books on his account as of late. Why the rush? Couldn't it wait a few months to distribute its bad luck?

...Crown opted not to think too hard on those implications.

"And a good evening to you too, sir. I never did take you for a mannerless churl, but I suppose we can be wrong together this morning." He turned to properly address their host, idly fiddling with the gemstones. "I also would've thought you of all - Ponies? Sand-creatures? Grumpy spirits? - whatever you are would know the answer to that. All-seeing watcher and all that, you know."

Balmas
2014-04-21, 05:02 PM
Dive Bomb tensed as the all-too-familiar voice slithered into the room. He edged next to Cork, opening his saddlebag expectantly. Let Cork talk. He was good at that.

And yet, he couldn't suppress a shudder. Trusting Cork to be competent. What a frightening thought.

BlasTech
2014-04-21, 07:28 PM
Of course. Too many ponies had inexplicably turned friendly for something not to go wrong. Fate had been in a powerful hurry to balance its books on his account as of late. Why the rush? Couldn't it wait a few months to distribute its bad luck?

...Crown opted not to think too hard on those implications.

"And a good evening to you too, sir. I never did take you for a mannerless churl, but I suppose we can be wrong together this morning." He turned to properly address their host, idly fiddling with the gemstones. "I also would've thought you of all - Ponies? Sand-creatures? Grumpy spirits? - whatever you are would know the answer to that. All-seeing watcher and all that, you know."

"Oh come now, you wound me." replied the voice as it slithered around Crown.

"Omnipotence is overrated, after all. Better a world that still has a little mystery left in it, wouldn't you say? I mean, where would I be if I could not still face the occasional question on conundrum to occupy my considerable intellect. Questions such as why a pony like you would continue to antagonise a being like me are truly puzzling, are they not?"

One Tin Soldier
2014-04-22, 01:01 AM
Grease cleared her throat. Here she was, trying to get everypony some water so they could get moving, and this spirit creature so rudely interrupted. "Excuse me, but is there a reason you've come to bother us at this moment? We're not ready to go visit the Reliquary yet, if that's it."

TheAmishPirate
2014-04-22, 12:17 PM
"Oh come now, you wound me." replied the voice as it slithered around Crown.

"Omnipotence is overrated, after all. Better a world that still has a little mystery left in it, wouldn't you say? I mean, where would I be if I could not still face the occasional question on conundrum to occupy my considerable intellect. Questions such as why a pony like you would continue to antagonise a being like me are truly puzzling, are they not?"

Crown's hairs stood on end. It was as if the very sand in his coat were speaking to him as they moved on the breeze. Still, he did not give the creature the satisfaction of seeing him shiver. "Antagonize? Me? Why, wound for wound, wrong for wrong, I am your mirror this evening," he gasped in surprise. "It is no grand puzzle; I merely greet you as your behavior indicates you wish to be greeted."

"And now that your considerable brain requires a new mystery to ponder, allow me to supply one as a token of goodwill; why does a being like you expect purest civility from a pony like me, when two of my friends are missing and you instead concern yourself with shiny pebbles?" Oh, Luna alone would know the vitriol he held at bay, the fuel in his stores yet unburnt. Blessed be the camel that came in the night, warning him against flaring too hot too fast.

A small part of Crown acknowledged his life had taken a turn for the strange. The rest of him was far too weary to bother.

Balmas
2014-04-22, 01:25 PM
Dive Bomb winced, taking advantage of the not-so-quiet conversation to scoop up the green gem and squirrel it safely away in his saddlebags. "Isn't it our job to be better, then?" His voice was quiet, barely more than a whisper.

TheAmishPirate
2014-04-22, 02:56 PM
Dive Bomb winced, taking advantage of the not-so-quiet conversation to scoop up the green gem and squirrel it safely away in his saddlebags. "Isn't it our job to be better, then?" His voice was quiet, barely more than a whisper.

"But of course," Crown whispered out of the corner of his mouth. "I haven't physically assaulted anypony, threatened their well-being, or trapped them for my own devices. I'm a bit of a cloudy mirror, really."

BlasTech
2014-04-22, 07:35 PM
Grease cleared her throat. Here she was, trying to get everypony some water so they could get moving, and this spirit creature so rudely interrupted. "Excuse me, but is there a reason you've come to bother us at this moment? We're not ready to go visit the Reliquary yet, if that's it."

"It hardly matters if you're ready or not, only that you go, and soon. I find myself tiring of these delays." replied the voice.

"But of course," Crown whispered out of the corner of his mouth. "I haven't physically assaulted anypony, threatened their well-being, or trapped them for my own devices. I'm a bit of a cloudy mirror, really."

"Oh you ponies, so self-righteous." replied the voice, so acerbically that you could almost hear the eye-roll. "So sue me, I use the tools I have available. I'd much prefer if you got your sorry little tails up and into that building of your own accord, but if I have to bodily toss you in there then I shall."

"In fact" said the voice, suddenly brightening "I believe I have just had the most wonderful idea!"

One Tin Soldier
2014-04-22, 10:35 PM
"It hardly matters if you're ready or not, only that you go, and soon. I find myself tiring of these delays." replied the voice.

"Oh you ponies, so self-righteous." replied the voice, so acerbically that you could almost hear the eye-roll. "So sue me, I use the tools I have available. I'd much prefer if you got your sorry little tails up and into that building of your own accord, but if I have to bodily toss you in there then I shall."

"In fact" said the voice, suddenly brightening "I believe I have just had the most wonderful idea!"

"Wait, wait," Grease said, as she realized what the creature was about to do. "Give us just a minute. We'll get our water and be on our way. Some of us haven't had anything to drink in more than a day, we'll be useless unless we have some."

Balmas
2014-04-22, 11:14 PM
Well, that solved at least one issue. Dive Bomb nodded. "After all, if you were to hurt us as you tossed us in, all it would do is delay us."

BlasTech
2014-04-22, 11:24 PM
"Wait, wait," Grease said, as she realized what the creature was about to do. "Give us just a minute. We'll get our water and be on our way. Some of us haven't had anything to drink in more than a day, we'll be useless if we have some."

"Oh what now." complained the voice, exasperated. That wind-from-nowhere picked up, gusting sand across the floor as the presence swept over to where Grease was sitting.

"Please tell me you're joking." it said, after spending a moment to contemplate the kludge Grease had put together. "I sincerely hope you're not expecting to get a torrent out of that anytime soon."

One Tin Soldier
2014-04-23, 12:18 AM
"Oh what now." complained the voice, exasperated. That wind-from-nowhere picked up, gusting sand across the floor as the presence swept over to where Grease was sitting.

"Please tell me you're joking." it said, after spending a moment to contemplate the kludge Grease had put together. "I sincerely hope you're not expecting to get a torrent out of that anytime soon."

"We don't need a torrent, just a bottle or two." Grease said, clearly growing more frustrated. "Look, I don't know what you know about how corporeal bodies work, but we need this water to keep going. I can guarantee you that whatever you want us to do in the Reliquary, we'll do it much faster if our heads aren't pounding the entire time we're there." She glared into a spot in the cloud that could potentially be its eyes. "The sooner you let us do this, the sooner you get what you want."

Heart 3
8+3=11

BlasTech
2014-04-23, 12:28 AM
"We don't need a torrent, just a bottle or two." Grease said, clearly growing more frustrated. "Look, I don't know what you know about how corporeal bodies work, but we need this water to keep going. I can guarantee you that whatever you want us to do in the Reliquary, we'll do it much faster if our heads aren't pounding the entire time we're there." She glared into a spot in the cloud that could potentially be its eyes. "The sooner you let us do this, the sooner you get what you want."

Heart 3
8+3=11

"Oh, well let me think about that." replied the voice. "Mmmmmm .... no."

"Leaving aside the fact that it would take most of the day for that thing to put out one bottle of water, if I let you drag this out any longer over water, then the next thing I know you'll be all 'oh no, now we need to eat.' or 'oh dear, now we need to go look for our friend'."

"I'm afraid not. I'd rather get this over with before I die of old age. Arrivederci, my little ponies!"

There was a click, and then blinding white pain lanced through everypony present.

[DC 25 fortitude save to avoid 12 fortitude damage. Save halves. Scene change incomming.]

Balmas
2014-04-23, 08:44 AM
Well, at a maximum of 4 fortitude, and with a -3 penalty, things don't look very good for Dive Bomb. :smallbiggrin: I might spend willpower, but since half of twelve fortitude damage would still knock him into the negatives, there really isn't much point. :smalltongue:

Anyway, maybe I'll get lucky. A five percent chance is still possible.
[roll0]

The Dice Gods say no.

No. No! Dive Bomb could almost feel the foul magic wrapping around him, squeezing him like a tube of toothpaste in a vice. He tried to hold on as long as he could, his wings clenching against himself. It was excruciating.

Darkness came as a relief.

One Tin Soldier
2014-04-23, 11:32 AM
Fortitude 7
7+17=24
Ooh, just barely missed it.
Grease is sidelined.

The flash lit Grease up from the inside, before depositing her in an unknown room with the rest of the group. Her knees wobbled, just as she saw Dive Bomb collapse to the ground. "Feathers..." was all she managed to groan out before she, too, succumbed to the violent teleport they had been put through.

[Are you sure that 12 Fort damage wasn't a typo?]

TheAmishPirate
2014-04-23, 02:14 PM
Fortitude 5 - 3 from Dehydration = +2.

We got this! :smallbiggrin:

[roll0]

Their sandy host could not have more clearly telegraphed what was to come if he'd used neon lights, a song-and-dance number, and a villainous cloak and mustache. And yet no amount of foresight could've prepared him for the incoming agony.

The colt was out cold before he could make a sound.

[Methinks we were offered the roll on the off chance that Grease Spot succeeded. Otherwise, hooray for a swift boot to the flank!]

Ravian
2014-04-23, 07:28 PM
More and more of these memories, when they would end, Soot could only guess as she peered around the darkness

Mind 4
[roll0]
Wary:
[roll1]

BlasTech
2014-04-23, 08:48 PM
More and more of these memories, when they would end, Soot could only guess as she peered around the darkness

Mind 4
[roll0]
Wary:
[roll1]

Soot's eyes adjusted faster this time.

She was standing in a darkened room, about the size of a large theatre or hoofball field - and it was filled with orbs. Scores and scores of them floated in rows, drifting towards Soot in regular intervals. Windows lined the walls of the room, but though they provided a faint nighttime-ish glow it was difficult to tell what exactly one could see through them.

The far end of the chamber was a ruined stage; corinthian columns, shattered and pitted, torn curtains hanging limply from ruined rails. Broken stones and timber formed a macabre staircase up to a platform that was wide enough to accomodate a carriage - or in this case, a throne. It had to be a throne, it was too large to be an ordinary seat, and on it sat a single griffon - a pitch black outline against the rest of the nightscape.

As she watched, there was a faint flicker of purple fire from in front of that throne, and another orb appeared - shillouhetted by the flames. And then they faded and that end of the room returned to darkness.

There was a small vwoip behind her, and Alone stumbled out of a patch of blackness. The filly shook her head, before glancing up at Soot in relief.

"I thought I'd lost you that time, sorry." she whispered.

BlasTech
2014-04-24, 02:49 AM
Pain.

So intense it blinded, so cold it burned.

And then darkness.

The three ponies slipped from consciousness, forsaking all that was real and reaching for the land of dreams once more.

~~000~~

Coc-a-doodle-doo!

It was a beautiful morning in Sanctum City, like always.

Sunlight streamed in through the window, disturbing the three ponies who shared the bunkroom from their slumber. Grease Spot, the labourer. Dive Bomb, the weatherpony. Crown Cork, the stores clerk. They'd been assigned bunks together the first day they arrived in the city, so many years ago, and had lived with each other ever since. Their job also kept them together; the three were all assigned a plot of land just outside the city walls where they were responsible for maintaining and producing food for the city. They worked together, ate together and slept together when they were too tired from talking - sharing their lives and dreams amongst them.

The blankets were roughspun wool, prickly but warm against the cool night air of the Riverlands. The room; sparsely furnished, with only two double bunk beds against the whitewashed walls and a small tablestand under a narrow slit of a window. Outside, the still-orange glow of sunrise illuminated the first ponies making their way outdoors to tend to the crops and fields.

A pounding on the door woke them the rest of the way up.

"C'mon you lot! Time to get moving! Breakfast in five!" came the bellow of the foreman.

One Tin Soldier
2014-04-25, 01:52 PM
Grease Spot brought her head up off of her pillow. Five minutes until breakfast? She was usually up early enough to give the cooks a hoof if they needed it. This head cold of hers must have really been taking its toll to keep her asleep that long. Fortunately, a headache and stuffy nose wasn't nearly enough to keep her work ethic down. The other labor creatures often joked that Grease Spot would keep going through anything less serious than a manticore attack. And even then, they'd say, she would fret about the lost work time.

She didn't think she was quite that obsessed with her job, but she was certainly no pony to laze about when the clock was dripping. And she did her best to encourage that trait in the ponies around her, too. Right now, that meant getting two sleepy colts out of dreamland.

"Come on, boys, you heard him," she said, pulling herself out of her own bed. She gave each of the two colts' beds a light kick, to shake out any reluctance. "Up and at 'em, we've got plenty to do today."

Balmas
2014-04-25, 03:06 PM
"Mrfl." The green pegasus groaned as he threw off the covers and trotted towards the mirror. Zip the brush through his mane a few times, shake it to that perfect level of messiness, aaaand... Done. Dive Bomb nodded in satisfaction and turned to the larger mare.

"Do you have the schedule yet?" The pegasus asked in the process of making a small sandwich for later on. It, and the ever-present notebook went into his flight pouch. "South field, right?"

TheAmishPirate
2014-04-25, 04:27 PM
A disheveled mess of golden mane and mocha coat sprung to attention from his bunk. "Sweetums?!"

It blinked blearily, scowling as it focused on Grease Spot. "Wait a moment, you aren't my sweetums...and wait another moment, five minutes?!"

Crown Cork shot awake and out of bed, furiously combing his mane, brushing his coat, and cleaning his teeth all at the same time. "What a morning! To steal a pony away from visions of purest bliss, only to tell him he has a mere five minutes to prepare to greet an angel?! Oh, how cross she shall be to see me in such a state! I only pray she thinks neither slovenliness nor sloth be responsible for this." How he managed to clean himself up mid-monologue was a closely-guarded Cork family secret. :smalltongue:

"Good morning, good morning, have it memorized already, and yes," he greeted and answered his bunkmates without hardly pausing to breathe.

Ravian
2014-04-27, 12:42 AM
Soot's eyes adjusted faster this time.

She was standing in a darkened room, about the size of a large theatre or hoofball field - and it was filled with orbs. Scores and scores of them floated in rows, drifting towards Soot in regular intervals. Windows lined the walls of the room, but though they provided a faint nighttime-ish glow it was difficult to tell what exactly one could see through them.

The far end of the chamber was a ruined stage; corinthian columns, shattered and pitted, torn curtains hanging limply from ruined rails. Broken stones and timber formed a macabre staircase up to a platform that was wide enough to accomodate a carriage - or in this case, a throne. It had to be a throne, it was too large to be an ordinary seat, and on it sat a single griffon - a pitch black outline against the rest of the nightscape.

As she watched, there was a faint flicker of purple fire from in front of that throne, and another orb appeared - shillouhetted by the flames. And then they faded and that end of the room returned to darkness.

There was a small vwoip behind her, and Alone stumbled out of a patch of blackness. The filly shook her head, before glancing up at Soot in relief.

"I thought I'd lost you that time, sorry." she whispered.

"No worries, just a little trip down memory lane..." Soot whispered back nervously as she looked at the scene before her. "I think these orbs are Rinda's memories, and not the best ones either. If we touch them we'll have to go through them." she pointed to the griffon on the throne. "I think if we can reach her, we might be able to start snapping her out of all of this." she looked back at Alone inquiringly. "But then again you're the local, so is there anything else we'll have to look out for?"

One Tin Soldier
2014-04-27, 02:41 AM
"Do you have the schedule yet?" The pegasus asked in the process of making a small sandwich for later on. It, and the ever-present notebook went into his flight pouch. "South field, right?"

Good morning, good morning, have it memorized already, and yes," he greeted and answered his bunkmates without hardly pausing to breathe.

Grease glanced at the schedule notification, lying open on the table beside her bed. "Yep, south field," she confirmed. It wasn't that she didn't trust Crown's word, exactly. She just liked confirming the information with her own eyes. It made for a little more peace of mind, and a few less reprimandable mistakes.

Once she had gotten her bed quickly made up, and a brush run once or twice through her mane, Grease approached the door to the little house. "Off to breakfast, then."

Balmas
2014-04-27, 10:09 AM
Dive Bomb nodded, slinging on his saddlebags. His eyes scrolled over a small shelf, and he thoughtfully picked out one of the well-worn books over there before trotting to the door. "Well, no use waiting, then."

BlasTech
2014-04-27, 07:41 PM
Once she had gotten her bed quickly made up, and a brush run once or twice through her mane, Grease approached the door to the little house. "Off to breakfast, then."

The corridor outside was busy as ponies walked past on their way to the dining hall. Grease, Crown and Dive turned left on exiting in order to join the throng. The dining room was large, and all of it echoed with a moderate buzz of conversation as the ponies there made their breakfast conversations.

The three ponies found their spaces at the end of the table and were soon brought their breakfast; a delicious meal of boiled oats and grass that they ate without complaint. As was the custom, the mealtime was occasionally interspersed with ponies delivering the important news of the day; things like the weather schedule over Sanctum, news on the happenings of the last 24 hours (mostly centering on the fact that everything was, and continued to be perfect)

They three ponies had time for a little conversation, or perhaps a call of nature, before they had to head for work.

"No worries, just a little trip down memory lane..." Soot whispered back nervously as she looked at the scene before her. "I think these orbs are Rinda's memories, and not the best ones either. If we touch them we'll have to go through them." she pointed to the griffon on the throne. "I think if we can reach her, we might be able to start snapping her out of all of this." she looked back at Alone inquiringly. "But then again you're the local, so is there anything else we'll have to look out for?"

"I ... don't know." replied Alone, looking about uneasily. "This room looks like one upstairs in the great hall, but different ... darker."

"And what is causing this? If these are her memories, what does it mean that they are out here instead of inside her head?"

"It all feels so ..." she began, before trailing off.

Balmas
2014-04-27, 10:08 PM
Dive Bomb ate almost mechanically as he listened to the news. Nodding along with the weather news, he started planning the most efficient route.

Taking one last spoonful of grassy mush, he got up from the table, collected his dishes, and dumped them in the collection bins.

One Tin Soldier
2014-04-28, 01:52 AM
Grease ate her breakfast eagerly, only occasionally stopping to blow her nose. Though, to be honest, this was one time when a stuffy nose was a bit of a blessing. She may have needed something to fill her up, but grass grits weren't really her favorite.

She polished off her bowl, then followed Dive Bomb to the cleanup area. "So, when are you going to be done weather duty today?" she asked him conversationally.

Balmas
2014-04-28, 05:55 PM
"I shouldn't take too long," the pegasus said quietly as he started sorting his dishes into the appropriate stacks. "Maybe half an hour to get the clouds in position, and then monitoring them to make sure they don't try any tricks. Start kicking them when they need the rain. Will you need help with your part of the day?"

TheAmishPirate
2014-04-28, 06:10 PM
As his two bunkmates sped through their breakfasts and made for the rubbish, Crown Cork opted to take his time. When one's diet was so bland, what flavor there was needed to be savored, no? And here, the richest flavor around sat all around him. A thousand and one little lives, all brought together in one great Sanctum. How could he resist such a banquet?

"-and so I told him, 'Sir! Haven't you forgotten? Your quick-hooved discount comes with a tour of the county jail, all expenses paid!' The good fellow waited so long for me to make my move, that a constable swooped in and arrested him on the spot!" He laughed along with his fellow workers. "Oh, if I could have preserved the look on his face! Still, I could tell he hadn't the look of a robber about him; he wouldn't have hurt a fly. I heard after he took a week to cool his hooves, he went back on the straight and narrow."

Ravian
2014-04-29, 02:00 PM
"I ... don't know." replied Alone, looking about uneasily. "This room looks like one upstairs in the great hall, but different ... darker."

"And what is causing this? If these are her memories, what does it mean that they are out here instead of inside her head?"

"It all feels so ..." she began, before trailing off.

"...So? So, what?" Soot asked. "If there's anything else you know about this place that could help us get Rinda, I'm all ears."

BlasTech
2014-04-29, 04:37 PM
As his two bunkmates sped through their breakfasts and made for the rubbish, Crown Cork opted to take his time. When one's diet was so bland, what flavor there was needed to be savored, no? And here, the richest flavor around sat all around him. A thousand and one little lives, all brought together in one great Sanctum. How could he resist such a banquet?

"-and so I told him, 'Sir! Haven't you forgotten? Your quick-hooved discount comes with a tour of the county jail, all expenses paid!' The good fellow waited so long for me to make my move, that a constable swooped in and arrested him on the spot!" He laughed along with his fellow workers. "Oh, if I could have preserved the look on his face! Still, I could tell he hadn't the look of a robber about him; he wouldn't have hurt a fly. I heard after he took a week to cool his hooves, he went back on the straight and narrow."

The table laughed along with him.

"You got lucky there, Crown. Last week, some of the other outlanders broke into my toolshed, stole half of our equipment allocation" grumbled one of the others at the table, an earth pony unfortunately named Sweat Drops.

"Yeah, that's why I allus report any strangers around here to the foremen ponies, they normally know what to do." said Green Fields. "Better they get run off than cause us to miss an allocation, am I right?"

"...So? So, what?" Soot asked. "If there's anything else you know about this place that could help us get Rinda, I'm all ears."

"So familiar ... but so very very different at the same time. It's hard to explain, but what happened to me, to make me like I was in that tower? It was a process of simply giving in to my despair, my loneliness. Everypony I knew had abandoned me, and every one of them was by now long dead. Until you all arrived, it consumed me.

"This is similar, only much much worse." replied Alone, watching Rinda with unease. "It's not the place that's doing it to her. She's doing it to herself."

One Tin Soldier
2014-04-30, 12:44 PM
"I shouldn't take too long," the pegasus said quietly as he started sorting his dishes into the appropriate stacks. "Maybe half an hour to get the clouds in position, and then monitoring them to make sure they don't try any tricks. Start kicking them when they need the rain. Will you need help with your part of the day?"

"Hmm, probably not," Grease said, as she reached the head of the line and left her dirty dishes off. "We're just doing some basic planting today, nothing some good old earth pony hooves can't handle. Maybe they'll want you to send in a drizzle once we're done, though."

Balmas
2014-04-30, 02:44 PM
The pegasus shrugged as he turned and waited for Grease. "I'll try to keep some shade for you, at least."

He grinned and dug in his saddlebags for the book he'd gotten from his shelf. It still bore the label of the local Sanctum library branch. An imposing pony-shaped suit of gleaming silver armor reared out of the cover, like a knight from days of yore.

BlasTech
2014-04-30, 06:56 PM
"Alright you lot! Time to get cracking!"

The yell from the head of the tables was enough to stir those still eating into action. They began filing towards the collection bins in an orderly manner, as those who were there soon found themselves pointed towards the exits of the dormitory, and towards the city outside.

Balmas
2014-05-01, 08:59 PM
Dive Bomb chuckled at Murphy's sense of timing, and shoved the well-worn hardcover back in his saddlebags. "I suppose that means us as well," he said, and began trotting towards the door. He'd have to look for more time to enjoy his specialty later on. For now, the foreman was already looking eager to start.

And for once, so was Dive Bomb. The sun was shining, and he'd soon be above the clouds, reading the latest serialized adventure.

Ravian
2014-05-01, 10:54 PM
"So familiar ... but so very very different at the same time. It's hard to explain, but what happened to me, to make me like I was in that tower? It was a process of simply giving in to my despair, my loneliness. Everypony I knew had abandoned me, and every one of them was by now long dead. Until you all arrived, it consumed me.

"This is similar, only much much worse." replied Alone, watching Rinda with unease. "It's not the place that's doing it to her. She's doing it to herself."

Of course, it was so obvious. "That's why all of them are going away, she's trying to forget them." Soot surveyed the multitude of spheres. "Painful memories, that's she giving up on." her face turned to an expression of drive "We have to stop her, before she gives up entirely." she began to make her way towards the throne where Rinda was.

BlasTech
2014-05-02, 12:04 AM
Of course, it was so obvious. "That's why all of them are going away, she's trying to forget them." Soot surveyed the multitude of spheres. "Painful memories, that's she giving up on." her face turned to an expression of drive "We have to stop her, before she gives up entirely." she began to make her way towards the throne where Rinda was.

As Soot started forward, another orb flickered into being in front of Rinda.

It was foals play to sidestep the scattered orbs near where she stood, but as she drew nearer to that throne, they started coming thicker and faster. Alone trotted along behind, and soon the pair found themselves in front of a wall of orbs, too close to squeeze between. Over, was the obvious path to take, but if past experience served, touching an orb would send them into yet another memory.

At least three final lines of orbs stood between Soot and the base of the throne.

[If you're going to jump them, first row is a DC 10 body/tumble check to get past. +1 harmony for Alone's presence]

One Tin Soldier
2014-05-02, 10:30 AM
Dive Bomb chuckled at Murphy's sense of timing, and shoved the well-worn hardcover back in his saddlebags. "I suppose that means us as well," he said, and began trotting towards the door. He'd have to look for more time to enjoy his specialty later on. For now, the foreman was already looking eager to start.

And for once, so was Dive Bomb. The sun was shining, and he'd soon be above the clouds, reading the latest serialized adventure.

Grease nodded. "I'll see you later, then." In the mean time, she had some planting to do.

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-02, 07:46 PM
The table laughed along with him.

"You got lucky there, Crown. Last week, some of the other outlanders broke into my toolshed, stole half of our equipment allocation" grumbled one of the others at the table, an earth pony unfortunately named Sweat Drops.

"Yeah, that's why I allus report any strangers around here to the foremen ponies, they normally know what to do." said Green Fields. "Better they get run off than cause us to miss an allocation, am I right?"

Crown tut-tutted and shook his head. "Ah, but better still-"

"Alright you lot! Time to get cracking!"

The yell from the head of the tables was enough to stir those still eating into action. They began filing towards the collection bins in an orderly manner, as those who were there soon found themselves pointed towards the exits of the dormitory, and towards the city outside.

"-a day when I may finish a sentence in peace. Ah well! Such is life. Shops will not run themselves." He chuckled good-naturedly and bid his friends farewell. He dashed over to his bunk-mates for a few last words as they left. "Come along, my merry ponies! The fields await, and we've a lovely day to greet us." He tittered happilly and bounded off towards the fields, held aloft by thoughts of catching but a glimpse of his strawberry angel...

BlasTech
2014-05-03, 09:49 PM
Soon enough, everyone began filing out of the hall and into the bright sunshine of the city outside.

Two and three story buildings predominated the worker's district of the city; mostly worked from wood, with thatched or tiled roofing to keep the heat in during the nighttime. Wide cobblestone streets paved the way to the great hall at the town centre, while other smaller alleyways and lanes branched off between the buildings. Carts and stalls lined the main roadway, with many of Sanctum's varied inhabitants on display as they shouted their wares or prepared to cook the food that a city consumed. In the distance to the West, they could already spot smoke rising above the rooftops as the forges of the blacksmith's district stoked themselves awake.

It was a short walk to the Eastern wall, where a trio of guards manned the gate leading out to the farms. Behind them, a pair of imposing stone guard-golems stood silently; their blue-runed bodies humming quietly as they dispassionately surveyed the throng. The guards waved the workers through with minimal comment, more intent on checking those who entered the city.

The fields outside were mostly uniform in composition; a couple of patches of turned earth, some already showing the greenery of new plants. Each plot had a toolshed large enough to contain seeds, farming equipment and a plow, as well as a small water trough, filled from the rain that so often fell on the Riverlands. Most of them were hedged off from one another, giving each section of the farming lands a bit of privacy, so long as nopony flew too high.

Breaking off from the rest of the workers, the trio of ponies headed to their fields and started on their day's work. A couple of clouds hovered in the sky above, but otherwise it was a bright and pleasant day to be outdoors.

Balmas
2014-05-03, 11:37 PM
Dive Bomb filed through the line, nodding at the sea of friendly, cheerful shapes around him. Occasionally, a pegasus might wave a wing at him, and he'd smile wordlessly back.

The orange form of the foreman quickly drew away from the rest, and Dive Bomb followed. "Any special instructions for today?"

BlasTech
2014-05-04, 07:36 PM
Dive Bomb filed through the line, nodding at the sea of friendly, cheerful shapes around him. Occasionally, a pegasus might wave a wing at him, and he'd smile wordlessly back.

The orange form of the foreman quickly drew away from the rest, and Dive Bomb followed. "Any special instructions for today?"

The foreman glanced at Dive Bomb quickly, before pulling out a scroll with his magic.

"Lets see, workgroup seven ... nope, nope .. nothin -- huh ... actually there is. Somepony's been scribbling on my work orders." muttered the foreman, frowning at the sheet of paper as if it had betrayed him.

"One of your group needs to pick up a new sack of seeds from the Eastern district sometime this morning. Heavy stuff."

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-04, 08:07 PM
The fields outside were mostly uniform in composition; a couple of patches of turned earth, some already showing the greenery of new plants. Each plot had a toolshed large enough to contain seeds, farming equipment and a plow, as well as a small water trough, filled from the rain that so often fell on the Riverlands. Most of them were hedged off from one another, giving each section of the farming lands a bit of privacy, so long as nopony flew too high.

Breaking off from the rest of the workers, the trio of ponies headed to their fields and started on their day's work. A couple of clouds hovered in the sky above, but otherwise it was a bright and pleasant day to be outdoors.

Crown waved in greeting to guards both living and stone, before bounding off towards their fields with Miss Spot close behind. He chattered brightly about everything from the weather, the state of the other workers, their crop quality, employing the full range of his vast vocabulary. For refugees, life was rather lovely, so why not be happy?

"...and that's why Mister Bomb ought to sleep on his stomach. I've been meaning to tell him it would help his pinions in the morning, but we've just been so busy lately. The land, the living arrangements, meeting new ponies..." He nodded as they approached their plot of land, glancing about to see if his favorite farmhand had taken to her fields yet. So intent was his search that he didn't notice their storage shed rapidly approaching his muzzle...

(May I make a spot check to see if he sees his sweetums? :smalltongue:)

BlasTech
2014-05-04, 08:21 PM
The morning was still young, and not many ponies were out yet, but Crown's eyes were sharp. Particularly when a visit to his sweetums was in the offing.

[Go nuts!]

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-04, 08:39 PM
The morning was still young, and not many ponies were out yet, but Crown's eyes were sharp. Particularly when a visit to his sweetums was in the offing.

[Go nuts!]

Ah, but his sweetums was a dedicated worker! If anypony were to be out and about, it would be her delicate, yet hardy hooves. And if anypony were to spot her, it would be his eyes of love!

Rolling Mind 3 + Painter 3? I can't recall if we said that worked on spot checks, what with his eye for detail. He's certainly trying to pick out details here, so it works in my head, at least.

Roll: [roll0]

(Welp. How hard does he run into the shed? XDX)

BlasTech
2014-05-05, 12:42 AM
Crown's keen eyes soon picked out the form of his Sweetums, trotting along towards the entrance to her field.

Granted, he couldn't quite make out her face, or her mane, or anything really about her, but he knew, in his heart of hearts, that she was there! Clearly, he should immediately get back to work.

Balmas
2014-05-05, 12:51 AM
Dive Bomb nodded. "I'll make sure to get one of the stronger ponies to carry it."

BlasTech
2014-05-05, 07:41 PM
"Yeah yeah, just get it done. Make sure whoever you send can tell the difference between daisy and lilly seeds." mumbled the foreman. "And be careful."

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-05, 07:58 PM
Crown's keen eyes soon picked out the form of his Sweetums, trotting along towards the entrance to her field.

Granted, he couldn't quite make out her face, or her mane, or anything really about her, but he knew, in his heart of hearts, that she was there! Clearly, he should immediately get back to work.

There! There she stood, perfection given pony form! An angel gracing mortal ponies with her presence! His tail curled into a heart, fanning himself desperately as he clasped a hoof over his heart and sighed longingly.

But lo! She could not catch him standing idly by while there was work to be done! He stomped the ground, fire burning in his eyes. "Miss Spot! We must tend this field until it is bursting with life! Such that all may see its produce and marvel!" With mad energy, he threw open the shed and sorted through their tools.

Balmas
2014-05-05, 10:48 PM
Dive Bomb nodded, one wing flipping up in a salute. It was only as he was winging away towards the other ponies that he paused in thought.

His flight took him closer to the shed. "Cork, I trust you know the difference between Lilac and lilly seeds, do you not?"

BlasTech
2014-05-06, 05:18 AM
There! There she stood, perfection given pony form! An angel gracing mortal ponies with her presence! His tail curled into a heart, fanning himself desperately as he clasped a hoof over his heart and sighed longingly.

But lo! She could not catch him standing idly by while there was work to be done! He stomped the ground, fire burning in his eyes. "Miss Spot! We must tend this field until it is bursting with life! Such that all may see its produce and marvel!" With mad energy, he threw open the shed and sorted through their tools.

Dive Bomb nodded, one wing flipping up in a salute. It was only as he was winging away towards the other ponies that he paused in thought.

His flight took him closer to the shed. "Cork, I trust you know the difference between Lilac and lilly seeds, do you not?"

The two ponies entered the tool shed, where everything was exactly where it should be.

[Spot check]

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-06, 03:01 PM

The two ponies entered the tool shed, where everything was exactly where it should be.

[Spot check]

"Of course I do; one grows into lilacs, the other into lilies." Crown replied matter-of-factly as he nosed about the tool shed. "Whyever do you ask?"

Rolling Spot, Mind 3 + Painter 3 = +6

Ravian
2014-05-06, 04:12 PM
As Soot started forward, another orb flickered into being in front of Rinda.

It was foals play to sidestep the scattered orbs near where she stood, but as she drew nearer to that throne, they started coming thicker and faster. Alone trotted along behind, and soon the pair found themselves in front of a wall of orbs, too close to squeeze between. Over, was the obvious path to take, but if past experience served, touching an orb would send them into yet another memory.

At least three final lines of orbs stood between Soot and the base of the throne.

[If you're going to jump them, first row is a DC 10 body/tumble check to get past. +1 harmony for Alone's presence]

Soot gave a leap over the spheres. She knew that these things were memories, but at this point the last thing she needed was to keep on having to nose around Rinda's past.

Body 2 + Harmony 1 = +3
[roll0]

One Tin Soldier
2014-05-06, 04:16 PM

Grease Spot chuckled. "Glad to see you're in such a productive mood," she said. "Let's get to it then. Grab me that hoe for me, would you?"

Mind 5
4+5=9

Balmas
2014-05-06, 04:24 PM
"I checked with the foreman on my way over here to see if there were any special assignments," Dive Bomb said, casting his eyes over his shoulder to check on the clouds. "He said that there were some last-minute addendums to his agenda, that it would require heavy lifting, and that whoever did it needs to know the difference between lilac seeds and lilies."

Mind 5, rolled twice for Wary.

I really need to put some points towards Spot, by the by.

[roll0]
[roll1]

BlasTech
2014-05-06, 07:06 PM
"I checked with the foreman on my way over here to see if there were any special assignments," Dive Bomb said, casting his eyes over his shoulder to check on the clouds. "He said that there were some last-minute addendums to his agenda, that it would require heavy lifting, and that whoever did it needs to know the difference between lilac seeds and lilies."

Mind 5, rolled twice for Wary.

I really need to put some points towards Spot, by the by.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Dive Bomb noticed it first, but Crown saw it as well. The harness for the plough was broken.

That was not right, it should have been perfectly working. Clearly somepony needed to repair it post haste.

Soot gave a leap over the spheres. She knew that these things were memories, but at this point the last thing she needed was to keep on having to nose around Rinda's past.

Body 2 + Harmony 1 = +3
[roll0]

Soot barely managed to clear the first line of orbs, but her forward momentum threatened to send her toppling into the second.

[DC 15 body check to stop yourself. I counted your ranks in thief towards the first leap, on the basis that it should give you a bit of an agility boost. Means it was a partial success on the first leap, with the need to do a second check to prevent failure.]

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-07, 03:33 PM
Dive Bomb noticed it first, but Crown saw it as well. The harness for the plough was broken.

That was not right, it should have been perfectly working. Clearly somepony needed to repair it post haste.

Crown's ears flared up in alarm. "Hold that hoe and cease those seeds! Our plow's been sabotaged!" The colt circled the broken plow, pout deepening with every new angle. "I checked last night and it most certainly was not in such a sorry state. Somepony or somecreature must've heard of our productive little plot and set out to remove the competition. Foul jealousy!"

He ground the dirt in an ill temper. "And we were to get so much done today! Now we may as well all go into the city - two for seeds and one for a mechanic - because we shan't be growing a thing without a proper plow."

Balmas
2014-05-07, 04:11 PM
"You're overreacting," Dive Bomb said, running a feather over the split section. "About the sabotage, I mean. We've no evidence to support that theory, no culprit, and no motive. Working to remove a source of food for the city would benefit no-one but the workers, and somehow I don't think any of us would do this."

The pegasus bent lower to examine the strap. Probably just wear and tear.

"As for a mechanic... Grease, what do you think? Can you fix this?"

[Roll for the examination?]

BlasTech
2014-05-07, 04:27 PM
The harness lay on the ground, attracting dust.

[Mind/Mechanics roll]

Ravian
2014-05-09, 01:50 PM
"Flick, flick, Flick!" Soot cursed as she tried to stop herself from careening into the second line of orbs.

Body 2 + Thief 2 + Willpower 7 = +11
[roll0]

((Thank Celestia I decided to invest Willpower... Still it's going to be interesting how far Soot can get by on partial successes))

((Edit: Wait No, I put down my new Willpower by mistake instead of the old, that should be a fifteen, sorry))

BlasTech
2014-05-09, 10:05 PM
Soot skidded to a halt just in front of the next line of orbs. Up on the throne, another onyx sphere flickered into existance.

Alone touched down next to Soot.

"One down, two to go?" asked the filly, looking at the next wave with some trepidation.

[DC10 to clear the next wave.]

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-09, 10:29 PM
"You're overreacting," Dive Bomb said, running a feather over the split section. "About the sabotage, I mean. We've no evidence to support that theory, no culprit, and no motive. Working to remove a source of food for the city would benefit no-one but the workers, and somehow I don't think any of us would do this."

"Well pardon me for having an imagination..." Crown pouted, and stepped aside as the more mechanically-inclined ponies did their work.

One Tin Soldier
2014-05-11, 03:35 AM

The pegasus bent lower to examine the strap. Probably just wear and tear.

"As for a mechanic... Grease, what do you think? Can you fix this?"

[Roll for the examination?]

Mind 5 + Mechanic 4 = 9
9+5=14

Grease gave the strap a look, her head cocked sideways. "Yes, actually, I think I can," she said, picking the harness up off the ground. "Let's see, how did someone manage to break you..."

Ravian
2014-05-11, 04:32 PM
"Right, we can do this." Soot muttered as she braced herself before making her next leap over the orbs
Body 2 + Thief 2 + Harmony 1 = +5
[roll0]

Balmas
2014-05-11, 05:36 PM
"Well pardon me for having an imagination..." Crown pouted, and stepped aside as the more mechanically-inclined ponies did their work.

"Better to be firmly grounded in reality than lose time out of our day in something that probably isn't the case," Dive Bomb said, his voice monotone. "While sabotage is a possibility, it's better to focus on the more simple explanations."

BlasTech
2014-05-11, 05:46 PM
"Better to be firmly grounded in reality than lose time out of our day in something that probably isn't the case," Dive Bomb said, his voice monotone. "While sabotage is a possibility, it's better to focus on the more simple explanations."

Yep.

Unfortunately for rationality, it was sabotage. Somepony had cut through the harness with a sharp instrument. Who knew what else they'd done to the plow?

[Partial success on the second tier of info. DC 15 mind/mechanics roll to ascertain it.]

"Right, we can do this." Soot muttered as she braced herself before making her next leap over the orbs
Body 2 + Thief 2 + Harmony 1 = +5
[roll0]

Soot and Alone dropped down behind the second row of spheres and shared a glance.

"I figure we're getting better at that." observed Alone. It was good, because the third line of spheres was thicker than the rest.

[DC 15 body/tumbling roll]

One Tin Soldier
2014-05-11, 11:31 PM

"Actually, Dive, he's right," Grease said, with a tone of mild surprise. "Looks like it was cut with a knife or something. Could be they did something else to plow as well." She inspected the metal body of the plow, looking for signs of damage.

Mind 5 + Mechanic 4 = 9
20+9=29
A crit! Perhaps I will get this one stored for later...

"Ugh, who would do something like this?" she wondered aloud.

Balmas
2014-05-11, 11:55 PM
Dive Bomb blinked. "Oh. Well. My apologies, Crown. A knife, you say? Who would want to do that?"

BlasTech
2014-05-12, 12:17 AM
"Actually, Dive, he's right," Grease said, with a tone of mild surprise. "Looks like it was cut with a knife or something. Could be they did something else to plow as well." She inspected the metal body of the plow, looking for signs of damage.

Mind 5 + Mechanic 4 = 9
20+9=29
A crit! Perhaps I will get this one stored for later...

"Ugh, who would do something like this?" she wondered aloud.

It wasn't clear who would have done this, but it was clear that it was more than a rush job. Somepony had gone and bent part of the mainshare, as well as weakening the coulter. The plough would find it that much harder to pull in a straight line, and could probably even break if repairs weren't made. Whoever had done this, knew how a plough worked.

[You might as well bank it. A crit on the 'recovery roll' won't net you any additional information.]

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-12, 01:01 PM
Dive Bomb blinked. "Oh. Well. My apologies, Crown. A knife, you say? Who would want to do that?"

Crown tossed his mane proudly. "Apology accepted, my good Dive Bomb. A little imagination can have its benefits. Such as here; who could have done such a thing?" He paced back and forth, voicing his thoughts to all. "Clearly this is no dumb creature or random act of violence against plowshares. We were targeted; aye, targeted most maliciously. Odd, because unless I'm mistaken none of us have made any enemies in this fair city."

The filly who regularly - and lovingly! - boxed his ears aside.

"Ignoring the possibility that this sabotage was meant for another, either the prosperity of our fields drove another soul mad with jealousy, or this was the act of a serial sabatour! A boogeyman of bedlam!" He shook his raised hoof at their tormentor. "But whatever he or she may be, they are still a mortal pony! And mortal ponies leave clues, either in their handiwork or their hoofdiwork."

He looked to Grease Spot as she finished her inspection. "Well, Miss Spot? What manner of criminal are we dealing with?"

One Tin Soldier
2014-05-13, 02:19 AM
Crown tossed his mane proudly. "Apology accepted, my good Dive Bomb. A little imagination can have its benefits. Such as here; who could have done such a thing?" He paced back and forth, voicing his thoughts to all. "Clearly this is no dumb creature or random act of violence against plowshares. We were targeted; aye, targeted most maliciously. Odd, because unless I'm mistaken none of us have made any enemies in this fair city."

The filly who regularly - and lovingly! - boxed his ears aside.

"Ignoring the possibility that this sabotage was meant for another, either the prosperity of our fields drove another soul mad with jealousy, or this was the act of a serial sabatour! A boogeyman of bedlam!" He shook his raised hoof at their tormentor. "But whatever he or she may be, they are still a mortal pony! And mortal ponies leave clues, either in their handiwork or their hoofdiwork."

He looked to Grease Spot as she finished her inspection. "Well, Miss Spot? What manner of criminal are we dealing with?"

"Another farmer, I'd guess," Grease said. "They bent the mainshare out of shape, here. This way, the plow would keep pulling to one side. It could even break entirely. I don't think that a pony who wasn't either a farmer or a mechanic would even be able to say what a mainshare is, much less sabotage one."

"You know, it could be someone on this farm who did this," she said. "Maybe they hoped to get out of a day's work while the plow was being fixed."

[Crit banked for later, then.]

Balmas
2014-05-13, 02:02 PM
"Barring an outright act of sabotage-for-sabotage's sake, then," Dive Bomb mused, "who was assigned to pull the plow today?"

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-13, 02:45 PM
"Barring an outright act of sabotage-for-sabotage's sake, then," Dive Bomb mused, "who was assigned to pull the plow today?"

"Let me see..." Crown pulled out The List and expertly flipped through the assignments. "Seeding...watering...that's the wrong direction. Back to shoveling, approaching plow duty..."

(Not actually sure if we have anypony else working this plot of land. If we don't, then I'll edit this post.)

BlasTech
2014-05-13, 06:07 PM
"Let me see..." Crown pulled out The List and expertly flipped through the assignments. "Seeding...watering...that's the wrong direction. Back to shoveling, approaching plow duty..."

(Not actually sure if we have anypony else working this plot of land. If we don't, then I'll edit this post.)

The three ponies knew that they were the only ones assigned to work the field. And that it was clearly a waste of time to investigate this further. Clearly, they should simply repair the plow and get back to work.

One Tin Soldier
2014-05-13, 09:03 PM

The three ponies knew that they were the only ones assigned to work the field. And that it was clearly a waste of time to investigate this further. Clearly, they should simply repair the plow and get back to work.

"Me," Grease said, looking at the "List" from over Crown's shoulder. She breathed a sigh of relief. "Well, I'm fairly certain that I didn't break the plow in my sleep. At least we know that we don't have any layabout saboteurs among us."

"I think I'll need some new straps and a hammer to get this all back into shape," she said. "Luckily, we can pick those up while we're getting the seeds from the city."

Balmas
2014-05-13, 09:40 PM
Dive Bomb paused, examining the strap with a feather. "But..." There was a problem, a mystery! It stared at him, demanding his services. He needed to figure it out.

But... There was also a job to be done. And at least one of them was getting along with it. The pegasus let out a little unhappy whine, but nodded. "Yes. We need to get our job done, and then we can figure it out."

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-13, 09:56 PM
Crown snapped The List shut professionally, starkly contrasted by his conflicted, flat expression. "Yes, yes. We have our schedule for the day, and we ought to keep it. The blessed trip into the city will let us repair the plow and get on with our fields before too long."

There was a moment where nopony spoke.

"...even though I did very much want to look just once 'round the shed for clues," he added longingly, kicking at the dirt.

One Tin Soldier
2014-05-14, 02:18 PM
Grease thought it over for a moment. The two of them both seemed very eager to do some detective work. Oh well, it wouldn't do any harm. In fact, the idea of finding out who did this and why was tickling the back of her mind as well.

"Ok, fine, let's look around for clues before we leave. We wouldn't want any evidence to disappear while we were away, would we?"

Ravian
2014-05-14, 06:15 PM
"Ok, last one, let's do this." Soot lined herself up for the final jump.

Body 2 + Thief 2 + Harmony 1 + Willpower 7 = +12
[roll0]

Balmas
2014-05-14, 08:23 PM
Dive Bomb nodded eagerly, though he kept the smile from his face. "Yes. After all, whoever, if there is a who, did this could come back."

Mind 5, rolled twice.

[roll0]
[roll1]

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-14, 08:29 PM
"Exactly!" Crown clapped his hooves eagerly. "Should our criminal roam free, they might sabotage our tools again! Clearly, if we are to farm this land to the best of our ability, then catching this rogue should be our highest priority." He sniffed around the outside of the shed, searching for clues that might've eluded Mister Bomb.

Rolling to assist. Mind 3 + Painter 3 = +6

BlasTech
2014-05-15, 06:27 AM
Dive Bomb nodded eagerly, though he kept the smile from his face. "Yes. After all, whoever, if there is a who, did this could come back."

Mind 5, rolled twice.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Stubbornly, the three ponies ignored their duties in order to chase down a foalish hunch. Still, after at least twenty minutes searching, they weren't able to locate much in the way of definitive evidence. Grease's tools had been disturbed, probably the means by which the sabotage had been enacted. Also, while they were able to spot quite a few of Grease's hoofprints, Dive Bomb's feathers and Crown's golden mane hairs lying around in the shed, there was nothing to hint that anypony else had been there.

Outside, the mud and dirt around the shed did not yield any signs of passage. It was likely that any signs that had existed had been erased overnight by rain.

Clearly, with the investigation hitting a dead end, the trio might finally have the opportunity to get some real work done.

"Ok, last one, let's do this." Soot lined herself up for the final jump.

Body 2 + Thief 2 + Harmony 1 + Willpower 7 = +12
[roll0]

Soot dropped back down to the sandy ground, easily clearing the last line of orbs. She blew a lock of mane out of her eyes as Alone landed beside her. Together, the two ponies stared up at the broken ruins of the stage, and the throne that sat at the top of the pile of rubble.

*Fwoosh*

Another black orb flickered into being, lit by a burst of purple flame. It illuminated the onyx silhouette of a griffon, lounging on the throne. Rinda's feathers had turned as pitch black as night, and the griffoness slouched in the throne in a posture of lazy repose. One of her golden talons grasped the armrest which, on closer inspection, was some kind of translucent crystal. Her other talon was pressed to her forehead, her eyes were closed, but her expression was one of concentration. She didn't appear to be aware of Soot and Alone's arrival.

Balmas
2014-05-15, 08:59 PM
Well, that was a bust. The pegasus swept up the loose feathers, looking with concern over his wings. If his molt was starting, he'd have to talk with the forepony about scheduling him for a few days off. Inconvenient.

"It looks like our saboteur was just as sneaky as he is mysterious," Dive Bomb proclaimed. "I can't find a thing that indicates anybody has been in here besides ourselves."

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-15, 11:42 PM
Stubbornly, the three ponies ignored their duties in order to chase down a foalish hunch. Still, after at least twenty minutes searching, they weren't able to locate much in the way of definitive evidence. Grease's tools had been disturbed, probably the means by which the sabotage had been enacted. Also, while they were able to spot quite a few of Grease's hoofprints, Dive Bomb's feathers and Crown's golden mane hairs lying around in the shed, there was nothing to hint that anypony else had been there.

Outside, the mud and dirt around the shed did not yield any signs of passage. It was likely that any signs that had existed had been erased overnight by rain.

Clearly, with the investigation hitting a dead end, the trio might finally have the opportunity to get some real work done.

Well, that was a bust. The pegasus swept up the loose feathers, looking with concern over his wings. If his molt was starting, he'd have to talk with the forepony about scheduling him for a few days off. Inconvenient.

"It looks like our saboteur was just as sneaky as he is mysterious," Dive Bomb proclaimed. "I can't find a thing that indicates anybody has been in here besides ourselves."

"And neither could I." Crown reported, coming back from his fifth scouring of the grounds around the shed. "Which means we're dealing with a professional. This was no idle act of jealousy, or fellow lost to a sudden attack of passion; whomever sabotaged us was a cool hoof running a planned job. They did not want us to find evidence, and they have succeeded most completely."

He let the thought linger, just long enough for his fellows to get a taste of failure, before bringing out the ray of hope. "Which means that our next step is to get this plow examined and repaired. If there's been a spree of broken plows, then the repair ponies will know. If this is a singular incident, then perhaps a trained eye could tell us something we don't know." The colt took a moment to gather up a few more precious tools they could not afford to lose, along with any obvious means of causing further damage. "Let's gather up the bits of the plow, and continue our search for answers elsewhere."

One Tin Soldier
2014-05-16, 01:05 AM
"So it would seem," Grease replied. "Oh well, there's nothing for it but to go fix the damage. Come on, we'll go tell the foreman what happened and head into the city."

BlasTech
2014-05-16, 01:24 AM
As always, the sky outside was a brilliant blue, with the most perfect puffy white clouds in the air.

The road back to Sanctum beckoned, leading back towards the gatehouse and the wall.

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-16, 02:01 PM
Once the three of them had divided up the load - with Crown's delicate constitution taking as much as he could carry, of course - they marched back up the road towards the city. First stop; the foreman. Any leave of duty had to be explained, lest the whole farming operation melt into a sludgy puddle of truancy.

Balmas
2014-05-16, 05:01 PM
Beautiful. Dive Bomb slowly flapped over his two ground-bound friends, soaking in the sights of Sanctuary. It was a marvelous site, like a gleaming pearl in an ocean of green. No Cloudsdale, certainly, but very pretty.

BlasTech
2014-05-16, 11:16 PM
Up in the air, Dive Bomb could see the other ponies toiling in the fields around theirs and the pegasi tending to the clouds above them. He soon spotted the foreman walking along one of the nearby paths between the hedgerows.

Balmas
2014-05-16, 11:54 PM
Wordlessly, Dive Bomb swooped lower and waggled his wings to get the others' attention. Then, once he was sure they were paying attention, he arced away towards the foreman.

BlasTech
2014-05-17, 07:41 AM
The foreman was a brown coated unicorn of middling age and with a dark black mane and was commonly regarded to be a pony of few, but loud, words. A direct speaking, straight to the point sort of pony, who suffered little for those trying to waste time or shirk their duties.

At the moment, he was walking along the dirt path with his head buried in a book of some kind and did not notice Dive Bomb's approach.

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-17, 08:41 AM
"Yooohooo~! Mister Foreman!" Crown called out as they approached behind Dive Bomb. "Three little ponies returning to the city for seed pickup and an unfortunate plow repair. We shall return to our field once the seeds are secured and our plow is in working condition again."

Ravian
2014-05-17, 08:53 PM
Soot dropped back down to the sandy ground, easily clearing the last line of orbs. She blew a lock of mane out of her eyes as Alone landed beside her. Together, the two ponies stared up at the broken ruins of the stage, and the throne that sat at the top of the pile of rubble.

*Fwoosh*

Another black orb flickered into being, lit by a burst of purple flame. It illuminated the onyx silhouette of a griffon, lounging on the throne. Rinda's feathers had turned as pitch black as night, and the griffoness slouched in the throne in a posture of lazy repose. One of her golden talons grasped the armrest which, on closer inspection, was some kind of translucent crystal. Her other talon was pressed to her forehead, her eyes were closed, but her expression was one of concentration. She didn't appear to be aware of Soot and Alone's arrival.

Soot gulped, this was it, they needed to get Rinda out of whatever trance she was in, or she would be stuck here like Alone was all this time. Cautiously she called out the Griffon's name "Rinda? Are you in there? It's me, Soot."

BlasTech
2014-05-18, 12:20 AM
"Yooohooo~! Mister Foreman!" Crown called out as they approached behind Dive Bomb. "Three little ponies returning to the city for seed pickup and an unfortunate plow repair. We shall return to our field once the seeds are secured and our plow is in working condition again."

The foreman looked up sharply at Crown's call. He tucked his book back away and gazed hard at the three of them.

"On with you then." he replied, giving them a curt flick of his head and making to get back to his reading.

Soot gulped, this was it, they needed to get Rinda out of whatever trance she was in, or she would be stuck here like Alone was all this time. Cautiously she called out the Griffon's name "Rinda? Are you in there? It's me, Soot."

Rinda's eyes snapped open at Soot's words. Gone were the light blue irises, and in their place were a pair of teal-rimmed slits. Wisps of purple magic wafted from them, as she turned that oh so piercing gaze on the two of them.

[DC10 courage check, 1 damage if failed]

The griffoness shifted in the throne, sitting upright and staring down imperiously.

"Soot ... you have come. What do you want." said Rinda, and even her voice had changed. It was now deeper, more resonant. The question was phrased as a statement, no inflection as one would have expected. Just an unbearable weight of authority.

One Tin Soldier
2014-05-18, 12:56 AM
Grease nodded to the foreman as she passed by. Explaining what had happened with the plow could wait until later, when he wasn't bogged down with work.

Unlike her two younger companions, Grease's appreciative eyes were all for the city of Sanctum itself. The buildings themselves radiated authority and power, and a sense that they would remain as they were come hell or high water. Sanctum was a city built to last.

Ravian
2014-05-18, 01:56 PM
Soot gulped, more than a little frightened at the change that had engulfed Rinda.
Courage 3
[roll0]

"W..we're here to help you Rinda." she said

Balmas
2014-05-18, 02:13 PM
"Alright then," Dive Bomb said, ducking a bit lower. "Let's go get those parts first; they're further away than the seeds. More efficient that way."

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-18, 02:38 PM
The foreman looked up sharply at Crown's call. He tucked his book back away and gazed hard at the three of them.

"On with you then." he replied, giving them a curt flick of his head and making to get back to his reading.

"Toodloo~!" Crown waved airily as they trotted off.

"Alright then," Dive Bomb said, ducking a bit lower. "Let's go get those parts first; they're further away than the seeds. More efficient that way."

"Oh come now, Mister Bomb, don't drown yourself in enthusiasm." He skipped and bounded, approaching the pegasus' height at each step. "There's a mystery at our hooves! The sun shines upon us! The city awaits! How many ponies strain and toil, wishing for just a little adventure in their lives? And here we are, with one gift-wrapped and hoof-delivered by Lady Fate herself. It brings a song to the heart, does it not?" Without waiting for an answer, the colt began whistling merrily in time to his bounces.

Balmas
2014-05-18, 02:53 PM
"If efficency is a crime, then I'll gladly accept the punishment," Dive Bomb retorted. "And were it my decision, I'd let the adventure find those who seek it. Too often, excitement is just another word for inefficiency."

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-18, 03:24 PM
"What, and I imagine you dream in spreadsheets too? Line up your subconscious along a neat, tidy path so you can face your demons as quickly as possible?" Crown clucked his tongue disapprovingly. "All ponies need a little magic in their lives, Mister Bomb, even us grounded Earth Ponies. All work and no play makes Crown a dolt colt. An inefficient dolt colt, I might add. And what is more efficient than play and work rolled into one?" He sprang up in front of the pegasus, forelegs stretched to the skies. "Stretch your mind to the horizons, and you'll find a brilliant, thriving world of possibilities you never thought tooooooooooooooo*whump!*

Alas, even his mightiest leap could not last so many syllables, and poor Crown tumbled to the ground mid-speech and faceplanted.

"...explore!" He finished, muffled.

Balmas
2014-05-18, 04:04 PM
"All work and no play doesn't need the help, apparently," Dive Bomb remarked as he dropped down and offered a hoof to help the colt up.

BlasTech
2014-05-18, 07:50 PM
Soot gulped, more than a little frightened at the change that had engulfed Rinda.
Courage 3
[roll0]

"W..we're here to help you Rinda." she said

"Help me." chuckled Rinda, darkly. "No, no. I don't need help. Not anymore."

She stood from the throne, unfurling dark wings that swept backwards with a blast of dust and sand.

"Now ... I am free." she declared. "And I'm not going back."

"All work and no play doesn't need the help, apparently," Dive Bomb remarked as he dropped down and offered a hoof to help the colt up.

Back at the city walls, the guards were studiously checking the papers of those trying to enter the city. Unlike when they left, the trio would need to have their work papers with them in order to gain entry.

One Tin Soldier
2014-05-19, 03:42 AM
"What, and I imagine you dream in spreadsheets too? Line up your subconscious along a neat, tidy path so you can face your demons as quickly as possible?" Crown clucked his tongue disapprovingly. "All ponies need a little magic in their lives, Mister Bomb, even us grounded Earth Ponies. All work and no play makes Crown a dolt colt. An inefficient dolt colt, I might add. And what is more efficient than play and work rolled into one?" He sprang up in front of the pegasus, forelegs stretched to the skies. "Stretch your mind to the horizons, and you'll find a brilliant, thriving world of possibilities you never thought tooooooooooooooo*whump!*

Alas, even his mightiest leap could not last so many syllables, and poor Crown tumbled to the ground mid-speech and faceplanted.

"...explore!" He finished, muffled.

Back at the city walls, the guards were studiously checking the papers of those trying to enter the city. Unlike when they left, the trio would need to have their work papers with them in order to gain entry.

Grease chuckled a little bit at Crown's minor misfortune. If he was able to finish his little speech without interruption, then surely he was fine. "Getting the tools first sound like a plan to me," she said, as they entered the short line of creatures leading into the gates. She reached into her ever-useful saddlebags and retrieved their papers.

"Here you go," she said once it came to their turn in the line. "Just going to pick up some supplies, then right back to the fields with us." Strictly speaking, she didn't need to say exactly what they were doing whenever they entered the city. But it never hurt to be friendly to the guards.

BlasTech
2014-05-19, 08:05 AM
"Here you go," she said once it came to their turn in the line. "Just going to pick up some supplies, then right back to the fields with us." Strictly speaking, she didn't need to say exactly what they were doing whenever they entered the city. But it never hurt to be friendly to the guards.

One of the guards, a charcoal coated unicorn, flipped through the work papers after Grease hoofed them over. Shuffling them back into order, he passed them back to Grease in a field of yellow magic.

"Everything seems to be in order ma'am." he replied, professionally. "You may enter the city. Be careful."

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-19, 10:08 AM

Crown took the hoof and sprang upright, no more worse for wear apart from a darkening bruise on his snout. "Pah! This is nothing more than the risks of the road. I could've avoided a fall, but would I have ever flown? You don't live without taking some chances; otherwise all you do you is survive and stagnate."

He waited patiently behind Miss Spot as she handled the administrative matters, glancing sidelong at his pegasus friend. "You, Mister Bomb, need an angel in your life. Something to bring a little light and feeling to your soul, something more than harsh, uncaring efficiency. Perhaps I could ask my sweetums if she has any suitable friends..." He tapped his chin, casting an uncomfortably critical eye over Dive Bomb and nodding to himself. "Yes, yes...I can work with that..."

Balmas
2014-05-20, 09:03 PM
Dive Bomb rolled his eyes as he followed behind Grease into the city. "Remind me again of how your last encounter with your sweetums ended? I believe it had something to do with a ditch?"

One Tin Soldier
2014-05-20, 11:25 PM
"Yes sir," Grease replied, stashing the papers back in her saddlebag. As she led the two conversing colts into the city, she glanced back at the stallion guarding the gate. He seemed familiar, but she couldn't quite place where she had seen him before...

Probably just guarding that gate, she thought to herself. It was a rational explanation, certainly, even if it didn't totally eliminate the feeling of doubt in her head.

BlasTech
2014-05-21, 02:00 AM
The Eastern district of the city was where all the foodstuffs were kept. All the grain, flour, flower and fruit that came out of the orchards and fields was kept, processed and then distributed from the great warehouses that dotted that quarter. The great shadow of the City Hall loomed overhead as the three ponies reached the warehouse where the seeds were kept. Bakeries and mills lined the street, filling it with the smell of baking bread and the groan of the millstones.

The warehouse in question was a relatively tall building - three stories high with beige wooden slats for windows on top of a stone foundation. A grey slate roof topped the whole affair. A small shack was nestled against it, tucked into a small alleyway that ran between buildings, where an aging griffon sat on a stool, reading a scroll with a pair of small brass glasses.

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-21, 12:20 PM
Dive Bomb rolled his eyes as he followed behind Grease into the city. "Remind me again of how your last encounter with your sweetums ended? I believe it had something to do with a ditch?"

One of the guards, a charcoal coated unicorn, flipped through the work papers after Grease hoofed them over. Shuffling them back into order, he passed them back to Grease in a field of yellow magic.

"Everything seems to be in order ma'am." he replied, professionally. "You may enter the city. Be careful."

"And what a ditch it was.~" Crown sighed dreamily as they passed the guard. "I was expounding upon her infinite virtues, and like magic she appeared out of thin air. With a single, graceful motion, she boxed my ears so thoroughly I was flung bodily into that glorious ditch. And before I could count my blessings, she graced me with her immaculate aid and helped me out again!" He flung a hoof across his forehead, true love alone keeping him from fainting at the memory of it all. "Oh rapterous bliss! May lightning strike me if I have bluffed but once, for my unbelievable tale is all true!"

"And you, Mister Bomb," he thrust a hoof at his comrade. "Are starving yourself of life's rich flavor! What manner of pony would I be to let a pony languish in neglect?"

Ravian
2014-05-21, 04:58 PM
"Help me." chuckled Rinda, darkly. "No, no. I don't need help. Not anymore."

She stood from the throne, unfurling dark wings that swept backwards with a blast of dust and sand.

"Now ... I am free." she declared. "And I'm not going back."

Soot frowned, "Free do to do what? Sit on a throne and sulk for eternity? Do you really want to be alone forever?"

Balmas
2014-05-21, 05:23 PM
"A more considerate one." Dive Bomb sighed as he drifted towards the warehouse. "When you try to force a relationship where one is neither needed nor desired, you only set a mare up to be disappointed."

Of course, that wouldn't stop Crown, but maybe he'd at least think about it.

And maybe if he thought about it long enough, the sky would turn green.

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-21, 06:11 PM
"A more considerate one." Dive Bomb sighed as he drifted towards the warehouse. "When you try to force a relationship where one is neither needed nor desired, you only set a mare up to be disappointed."

Of course, that wouldn't stop Crown, but maybe he'd at least think about it.

And maybe if he thought about it long enough, the sky would turn green.

"Speaking from experience, are we Mister Bomb? Or is all your research in the theory?" Crown arched an eyebrow, then nodded knowingly. "Ahhhhhhhh, I see your game. But you'll have to try far harder than that. The private particulars of my correspondence with my dearest darling are just that; private. And I will not breach her most precious confidence. If she remains silent, then I must seal my lips."

A few surrounding ponies suddenly took a renewed interest in their work, acting very much like ponies who hadn't been eavesdropping.

"Where was I again? Ah yes; flavor. You can write a hundred thousand books on the flavor of fresh honey rolls on a cold winter's morning, but not a one will match the experience of biting into one. That, Mister Bomb, is what you lack. And what a divine, inspiring angel could provide in infinite abundance." He whistled cheerily to himself, doing a remarkable job of ignoring his friend's protests.

BlasTech
2014-05-21, 06:44 PM
Soot frowned, "Free do to do what? Sit on a throne and sulk for eternity? Do you really want to be alone forever?"

Rinda's gaze hardened as she glared down at Soot.

"Did you really come all the way here just to insult me some more?" she asked, voice menacing. "I'm not interested in fighting you too, kid. I've got bigger fish to fry first, but that doesn't mean I'm going to put up with this horsec**p from you too."

Balmas
2014-05-22, 12:57 AM
"The taste of a honey-buns in winter may be sweet, but they're useless if what I want is coffee," retorted Dive Bomb. "And a friend wouldn't shove honey-buns down his friend's throat, no matter how tasty they are. Now, Grease. What do you need to fix that plough?"

One Tin Soldier
2014-05-22, 02:53 AM
"The taste of a honey-buns in winter may be sweet, but they're useless if what I want is coffee," retorted Dive Bomb. "And a friend wouldn't shove honey-buns down his friend's throat, no matter how tasty they are. Now, Grease. What do you need to fix that plough?"

"I don't know Dive. Maybe first you should tell us what manner of 'coffee' you're feeling partial to," she teased.

After a moment she chuckled and continued. "Like I said, I'll need replacement straps for the ones that were cut, as well as a mallet. Everything else we'll need is already back at the shed."

BlasTech
2014-05-22, 06:59 AM
If the ponies wanted to get more supplies to repair the sled, they would have to head to one of the equipment stores in the Blacksmithing district. It was a good walk away, practically on the other side of the city.

Balmas
2014-05-22, 08:17 PM
"I don't know Dive. Maybe first you should tell us what manner of 'coffee' you're feeling partial to," she teased.

Dive Bomb turned a wounded gaze on the mare. "Et tu, Grease?"

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-22, 08:23 PM

After a moment she chuckled and continued. "Like I said, I'll need replacement straps for the ones that were cut, as well as a mallet. Everything else we'll need is already back at the shed."

Crown sidled up to Dive Bomb, a wide grin plastered on his face (http://askmerriauthor.tumblr.com/post/81357749875/totally-should-use-that-merri-face-as-an-icon-itd-be). "Well, Mister Bomb?"

Ah right. The task at hand. He momentarily turned aside from his victim good friend. "No sense in getting the seeds first; we'd have to carry them all the way across the city. Best to get the plow fixed first." And then it was back to waiting on the pegasus' every word. :smalltongue:

One Tin Soldier
2014-05-23, 02:23 AM
Crown sidled up to Dive Bomb, a wide grin plastered on his face (http://askmerriauthor.tumblr.com/post/81357749875/totally-should-use-that-merri-face-as-an-icon-itd-be). "Well, Mister Bomb?"

Ah right. The task at hand. He momentarily turned aside from his victim good friend. "No sense in getting the seeds first; we'd have to carry them all the way across the city. Best to get the plow fixed first." And then it was back to waiting on the pegasus' every word. :smalltongue:

"Just what I was thinking," Grease said.

"Well, Dive?" She asked as they continued walking toward the Blacksmith's District. "What kind of filly or gentlecolt strikes your fancy?" Oh, this was too much fun.

Balmas
2014-05-23, 09:24 AM
"You two are absolutely horrible," Dive Bomb snorted. "And I refuse to answer. Cork will try to actually find her for me."

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-23, 11:04 AM
"You two are absolutely horrible," Dive Bomb snorted. "And I refuse to answer. Cork will try to actually find her for me."

"You say that like it's a bad thing." Crown waved off his worries, while listening closely for the slightest of hints. "It's not like I'm going to foalnap her or something equally desperate. Heaven forbid you find a lovey, eligible filly to chat with. Or worse; you find one who wants to chat with you." He glanced over the pegasus, nodding slowly with a little secret smile. "Don't sell yourself short and all that."

Balmas
2014-05-23, 09:09 PM
Dive Bomb grumbled silently for a few seconds before opening his mouth. "If you must know, I want to find a mare who is smarter than I am, and not shy about reminding me of it. Being pretty is a plus, but I need someone who can help me improve." Why she'd want to be with him, though, would be anyone's guess.

One Tin Soldier
2014-05-23, 10:43 PM
"There, that wasn't that hard was it?" Grease asked, a wide smile on her face.

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-24, 11:12 AM
Crown, meanwhile, was already running through the name of every single single filly he'd met in Sanctum City. With his connections, charm, and dashing good looks, the list was...expansive. The parameters lowered it considerably - intelligence greater or of a different brand than Dive Bomb's, and a vocal personality to match - as well as Dive Bomb's own quirks - anypony who appreciated his line of work was a plus - but hopefully there was a name or three left when all was said and done.

(I would absolutely like to make a Mind/Heart roll to see if Crown has met any such eligible fillies yet. I would also like to add Soda Tycoon to the roll, as his job involves meeting and keeping track of a large number of ponies. I would also like to say that his Charismatic Talent applies, because Charismatic ponies naturally meet lots of folks.)

Balmas
2014-05-24, 02:54 PM
Dive Bomb stared dourly at Grease. "Look. Look at him. He's doing it right now, I swear. You can tell he's thinking because he's stopped talking."

Ravian
2014-05-24, 04:23 PM
Rinda's gaze hardened as she glared down at Soot.

"Did you really come all the way here just to insult me some more?" she asked, voice menacing. "I'm not interested in fighting you too, kid. I've got bigger fish to fry first, but that doesn't mean I'm going to put up with this horsec**p from you too."

Soot paused a moment before speaking "I'm sorry, Rinda, that was wrong of me. I don't want to insult you, I'm just trying to understand. You're upset because no one here has appreciated you, is that fair to say?"

BlasTech
2014-05-24, 09:25 PM
Soot paused a moment before speaking "I'm sorry, Rinda, that was wrong of me. I don't want to insult you, I'm just trying to understand. You're upset because no one here has appreciated you, is that fair to say?"

"I'm here for many reasons, kid." she began. "Being sick of dealing with stuck up prigs and guarding ponies that aren't worth spit is only part of it."

Folding her wings back, Rinda turned away for a moment to stare out one of the windows to the nothingness outside.

"I'm going to fix things."

Crown, meanwhile, was already running through the name of every single single filly he'd met in Sanctum City. With his connections, charm, and dashing good looks, the list was...expansive. The parameters lowered it considerably - intelligence greater or of a different brand than Dive Bomb's, and a vocal personality to match - as well as Dive Bomb's own quirks - anypony who appreciated his line of work was a plus - but hopefully there was a name or three left when all was said and done.

(I would absolutely like to make a Mind/Heart roll to see if Crown has met any such eligible fillies yet. I would also like to add Soda Tycoon to the roll, as his job involves meeting and keeping track of a large number of ponies. I would also like to say that his Charismatic Talent applies, because Charismatic ponies naturally meet lots of folks.)

The walk to the Blacksmiths district was uneventful.

The trio passed by the City Hall, where from the sounds of things another meeting was in session, with guardponies flanking the open doors to the grand hall. They passed the Reliquary, where the Heart of the City was kept safe and secure. Vewings of the great gemstone were restricted to only the city leaders, except on the summer solstice, when it was open to the public.

The Blacksmith's district was well awake by the time the ponies arrived. Black smoke billowed to the air from chimmnies all around as the ponies, camels and griffons there plied their trades. Getting their replacement parts was a simple matter of finding a good Blacksmith to call on.

[DC 10 general knowledge check to pick a decent blacksmith from your knowledge of the town. Higher gets better quality replacement parts.]

[As for the idea of setting Dive Bomb up, that feels more like a roleplaying call than an out and out check. So basically it's up to you! :smallsmile: Feel free to roll if you want random chance, or not!]

[PPS: sorry but replies are gonna be slow till further notice. Long day of exploring means limited time and ability to type]

One Tin Soldier
2014-05-25, 01:02 AM
Mind 5
5+14=[b]19/b]

"Let's see," Grease said, looking back and forth along the Blacksmith's district. "There was a smith I visited once here who was quite friendly. Her shop was over... there." She pointed a good down one of the side streets leading off the thoroughfare, before walking down it herself.

BlasTech
2014-05-25, 06:33 AM
Grease recalled the name of a fairly good blacksmith nearby: Steel Shoes. For a moment, she had a feeling that there might have been one even better, but the name refused to come.

[partial success on third tier. DC 15 to remember]

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-25, 01:33 PM
Dive Bomb stared dourly at Grease. "Look. Look at him. He's doing it right now, I swear. You can tell he's thinking because he's stopped talking."

Crown gasped in mock horror. "Oh gracious me, save us all and hide the mares and foals; I'm daring to introduce you to a new friend! What fell turn sent my heart along such a black road?!"

Meanwhile, he absolutely continued to narrow down his list. :smalltongue:

I actually will be making this roll. Crown is getting a chance to use skills picked up from his real occupation, so maybe a high enough result might get a few names from another life. Worth a shot, at least. :smallamused:

So! To add this all up, Heart/Mind 3 + Soda Tycoon 2 + Extra Talented (Charismatic) 1 = +6, rolling twice for Charismatic

Roll 1: [roll0]
Roll 2: [roll1]

Mind 5
5+14=[b]19/b]

"Let's see," Grease said, looking back and forth along the Blacksmith's district. "There was a smith I visited once here who was quite friendly. Her shop was over... there." She pointed a good down one of the side streets leading off the thoroughfare, before walking down it herself.

Just as he'd finished compiling the names for one list, a second request came in for a blacksmith. Ugh! What he wouldn't give for a pony to handle and sort all these requests, and not disturb him until his great brain was free for another puzzle. "Steel Shoes, was it? Hmm, that doesn't sound quite right. I remember when you went a few weeks back, and I could've sworn it was someone with...perhaps a name starting with a 'B'? Maybe a 'K'?"

(Adding a Harmony Bonus to that next roll. I'll be updating Crown's sheet with the most recent XP and such too.)

Balmas
2014-05-25, 02:42 PM
Dive Bomb rolled his eyes at the mockery. "I don't often visit the blacksmith's quarter of the city, but I occasionally fly over. I think I saw a relatively large set-up a few streets over a few days ago."

(Adding Harmony Bonus)

One Tin Soldier
2014-05-26, 02:34 PM
"Hmm, you're right, I do think there was someone else..."

Mind 5 + Harmony 3 = 8
8+5=13

She shook her head. "I don't remember their name, though, or where their shop is. Steel Shoes it is, then."

Ravian
2014-05-26, 08:25 PM
"I'm here for many reasons, kid." she began. "Being sick of dealing with stuck up prigs and guarding ponies that aren't worth spit is only part of it."

Folding her wings back, Rinda turned away for a moment to stare out one of the windows to the nothingness outside.

"I'm going to fix things."

Soot nodded, at the very least Rinda was willing to talk with her, from there they could start to work things out.

"What do you think needs fixing Rinda?" she asked

BlasTech
2014-05-27, 11:20 AM
"Hmm, you're right, I do think there was someone else..."

Mind 5 + Harmony 3 = 8
8+5=13

She shook her head. "I don't remember their name, though, or where their shop is. Steel Shoes it is, then."

Steel Shoes was an earth pony mare who operated a large smithy just inside the Western walls. She was well known for good quality work, as well as for running one of the more successful smithing businesses in Sanctum.

Her shop was a sprawling, two story affair with a half dozen furnaces that were tended by a variety of apprentice blacksmiths. The ground level was open to the street outside but was still sweltering hot, and the air was thick with soot and the ringing of anvils.

The three ponies found their way to a small waiting room, just off the workfloor. A rather young pegasus filly sat behind a small wooden desk, a picture of an older pegaus by her side. She looked up when they entered, giving them a happy smile.

"Hi there, how can I help you folks?

Soot nodded, at the very least Rinda was willing to talk with her, from there they could start to work things out.

"What do you think needs fixing Rinda?" she asked

"What doesn't?" countered Rinda. "I'm sick of it all, Soot."

"Sick of having to follow orders for people I don't respect. Sick of being out here, where the only direction comes from somepony whose head is so far up his own backside that he's even more in the dark than the rest of us. Sick of the whole system that puts them at the top while it sends ..."

Rinda trailed off. She was silent for a moment before turning around again.

"You understand what I mean, don't you Soot?"

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-27, 03:49 PM
Steel Shoes was an earth pony mare who operated a large smithy just inside the Western walls. She was well known for good quality work, as well as for running one of the more successful smithing businesses in Sanctum.

Her shop was a sprawling, two story affair with a half dozen furnaces that were tended by a variety of apprentice blacksmiths. The ground level was open to the street outside but was still sweltering hot, and the air was thick with soot and the ringing of anvils.

The three ponies found their way to a small waiting room, just off the workfloor. A rather young pegasus filly sat behind a small wooden desk, a picture of an older pegaus by her side. She looked up when they entered, giving them a happy smile.

"Hi there, how can I help you folks?

Crown's delicate coat recoiled in horror even before he'd stepped over the threshold of Steel Shoes' shop. Oppressive heat to singe fragile hairs, soot to mingle with sweat and clog pores, ugh! He would need ten - no, twenty baths to make himself presentable again. Life's cruel scourges could hide within the most blessed of cities.

Once he had that to-do list position sorted out, the next order of business was a personal courier.

Taking a moment to steel himself - and his precious coiffure! - against the elements, he swept inside the smithy on a wave of charm and good cheer. "A hello to you too, young lady. Could you show us to Miss Steel Shoes? Our plow needs an expert set of eyes and hooves."

BlasTech
2014-05-28, 07:37 AM
"Sure thing" chirped the receptionist. "Just have a seat and I'll go find Miss Shoes. Just a minute."

She trotted out of the room. Leaving the trio alone. There were a few books and scrolls lying around, mostly schematics for weird bits of machinery, as well as instructions on basic smithing.

[Dc15 mechanics roll to make sense of the schematics]

Clearly, there was not much to do but wait.

Balmas
2014-05-28, 09:36 AM
Yeesh... Dive Bomb looked around the room with interest. The manual professions had never really attracted him--better to leave that to those with the talent--but this room showed some signs of erudition. "Are we going to drag the blacksmith all the way back to the shed?" he asked distractedly. "I was under the impression that we were here simply for parts."

EDIT: Mind 5 +5 die roll =10. Fail.

One Tin Soldier
2014-05-28, 02:25 PM
Yeesh... Dive Bomb looked around the room with interest. The manual professions had never really attracted him--better to leave that to those with the talent--but this room showed some signs of erudition. "Are we going to drag the blacksmith all the way back to the shed?" he asked distractedly. "I was under the impression that we were here simply for parts."

"Yes, that is what we're here for," Grease said, giving Crown a bit of a look. "I think certain ponies might need to get their ears cleaned out."

"It's not a huge problem, though," she said after a moment. "We'll just explain the mixup once she gets back." In the mean time, Grease looked over the schematics lying around. She had to do something while she waited.

Mind 5 + Mechanic 4 + Metalwork 3 = 12
12+3=15

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-28, 07:40 PM
"Whatever the case may be, I shall be most surprised if she can't tell us anything more about what happened to our plow," Crown commented, peering over Grease Spot's shoulder at the perplexing documents.

(Just a simple post, whatever we decide on the plow is good with me.)

Balmas
2014-05-29, 12:40 AM
Dive Bomb nodded in understanding and went to the bookshelves under the complicated schematics. If he didn't understand them, maybe the literature would help. After all, with a cutie mark of a dictionary, who wouldn't go for new knowledge?

Ravian
2014-05-29, 06:52 PM
"What doesn't?" countered Rinda. "I'm sick of it all, Soot."

"Sick of having to follow orders for people I don't respect. Sick of being out here, where the only direction comes from somepony whose head is so far up his own backside that he's even more in the dark than the rest of us. Sick of the whole system that puts them at the top while it sends ..."

Rinda trailed off. She was silent for a moment before turning around again.

"You understand what I mean, don't you Soot?"

"Of course Rinda," Soot said, not really lying, she certainly could see where Rinda was coming from, especially about the system being misused by ponies with more power than sense. "And you're going to change that? How?"

BlasTech
2014-05-30, 11:30 AM

The schematics were, sadly, fairly inscruitable to an untrained pony like Dive Bomb. The books did not offer much in the way of better fare; containing information on the properties of various ores, smelting techniques and alloys. Clearly, it was not the sort of thing to interest a weatherpony.

A few moments later, the pegasus filly reappeared, leading a violet coated earth pony behind her. Steel Shoes' cutie mark was a pair of slate grey horseshoes, matching the colour of her mane. The filly glanced at them all with a professionally closed expression.

"Filly, Gentlecolts. What can I do for you today?"

"Of course Rinda," Soot said, not really lying, she certainly could see where Rinda was coming from, especially about the system being misused by ponies with more power than sense. "And you're going to change that? How?"

"When I'm done here, I'm going home." replied Rinda. "No more traipsing around a desert, waiting to pull some other ingrates's tail from the fire. When I'm done here, I'll be able to just click my talons and then bam. Home."

"And once I get there ... there are going to be some changes to how things are run."

The griffon turned away for a moment, studying the broken wall behind her. A dark, tar-like substance seemed to drip from some of the cracks, like the walls themselves were bleeding.

"There's old magic here, Soot. Deep and primal. The kind of stuff nations were once built on." she continued, eyes alight. Her purple magic flickered and flared, forming a nebula of lightning and stars that floated behind her head. "I found it, or it found me. I can't remember exactly, but if I can just tame it, then I will be able to do anything[/]."

She turned back to Soot, a grin on her face.

"I will be able to do [i]everything!"

Beside Soot, Alone gasped softly as she spotted the pitch on the walls. She muttered to herself, and closed her eyes for a moment.

"So who's youre new friend there Soot?" asked Rinda, finally noticing the second filly. "Somepony else, lost in these ruins?"

TheAmishPirate
2014-05-31, 09:34 PM
The schematics were, sadly, fairly inscruitable to an untrained pony like Dive Bomb. The books did not offer much in the way of better fare; containing information on the properties of various ores, smelting techniques and alloys. Clearly, it was not the sort of thing to interest a weatherpony.

A few moments later, the pegasus filly reappeared, leading a violet coated earth pony behind her. Steel Shoes' cutie mark was a pair of slate grey horseshoes, matching the colour of her mane. The filly glanced at them all with a professionally closed expression.

"Filly, Gentlecolts. What can I do for you today?"

Crown stood up as the distinguished blacksmith walked in. "Good morning, Miss Steel Shoes. My friends and I have had some, ah, technical difficulties with our plow. The stringy bit's all chopped in two, the little hanging sharp piece is bent out of shape, and the up-and-down dragger's been damaged."

He nodded to himself, the very model of a professional farmpony.

Balmas
2014-05-31, 11:03 PM
Dive Bomb did his best to disguise his paroxysm of laughter as a small coughing fit. "Er, yes. As my companion so eloquently stated, we've had some problems with our plow. Somepony sliced up our harness, bent the mainshare of the plow, and fiddled with the coulter to make it detach under pressure. We need some replacement straps, a mallet, and possibly some parts."

BlasTech
2014-06-01, 08:55 PM
"Certainly" replied Steel Shoes, never batting an eyelid. "If you can provide your workgroup papers, we will gladly provide the parts."

"Will you be requiring assistance in effecting the repairs as well?"

One Tin Soldier
2014-06-02, 02:44 AM
Grease once again procured the papers from her bag. "I think that we can handle the repair itself," she said. "We're just here to find the best tools to do it with."

BlasTech
2014-06-02, 09:18 AM
"Very well, I shall send an apprentice up shortly with the parts. Good day."

Steel Shoes gestured to her assistant, who took the proffered papers, before the two of them disappeared out the side door. The pegasus returned a few minutes later, leading a griffoness with pink-tinged headfeathers who was struggling with a wheelbarrow.

The parts were moderately heavy, particularly the new mainshare's edge, so somepony would have to be saddled with them on the way back. Once they'd deposited the wheelbarrow, the assistant silently retreated back to the work floor.

"Your papers were in order, and I've placed the requisition paperwork into your file." replied the pegasus, hoofing the documents all back to Grease. "If there's anything else you guys need, let me know. Till then, be careful!"

Ravian
2014-06-02, 10:05 PM
"When I'm done here, I'm going home." replied Rinda. "No more traipsing around a desert, waiting to pull some other ingrates's tail from the fire. When I'm done here, I'll be able to just click my talons and then bam. Home."

"And once I get there ... there are going to be some changes to how things are run."

The griffon turned away for a moment, studying the broken wall behind her. A dark, tar-like substance seemed to drip from some of the cracks, like the walls themselves were bleeding.

"There's old magic here, Soot. Deep and primal. The kind of stuff nations were once built on." she continued, eyes alight. Her purple magic flickered and flared, forming a nebula of lightning and stars that floated behind her head. "I found it, or it found me. I can't remember exactly, but if I can just tame it, then I will be able to do anything[/]."

She turned back to Soot, a grin on her face.

"I will be able to do [i]everything!"

Beside Soot, Alone gasped softly as she spotted the pitch on the walls. She muttered to herself, and closed her eyes for a moment.

"So who's youre new friend there Soot?" asked Rinda, finally noticing the second filly. "Somepony else, lost in these ruins?"

"This is Alone Rinda." Soot introduced her companion, "She has been lost here for a very long time. I found her in these ruins in absolute despair, sure that no one would ever help her." Soot grimaced at the tar stuff "I think you're right, there is magic here, and I think it found Alone like it did you. It worries me Rinda, it worries me that it destroyed nations, and I'm worried that it could do to you like it did to her."

Balmas
2014-06-02, 11:31 PM
"Thank you," Dive Bomb said, scooping up some of the parts. They bumped and shifted against the books in his saddlebags. "And we will, have no fear."

BlasTech
2014-06-03, 08:15 AM
"This is Alone Rinda." Soot introduced her companion, "She has been lost here for a very long time. I found her in these ruins in absolute despair, sure that no one would ever help her." Soot grimaced at the tar stuff "I think you're right, there is magic here, and I think it found Alone like it did you. It worries me Rinda, it worries me that it destroyed nations, and I'm worried that it could do to you like it did to her."

"Well, you shouldn't be" replied Rinda, turning back to study that tar-strewn wall. The griffoness took a steadying breath, bracing herself for something.

"Sometimes nations need to be destroyed."

"Thank you," Dive Bomb said, scooping up some of the parts. They bumped and shifted against the books in his saddlebags. "And we will, have no fear."

The assistant nodded, before taking her seat back behind the desk with the picture of the older pegasus on it. The ponies were free to go. Clearly, they should get back to work.

TheAmishPirate
2014-06-03, 03:47 PM
After thanking the blacksmith and her crew for the help, Crown turned back to the pile of parts. He wrapped his hooves around the mainshare, hefted, and hardly budged the hunk of metal. "Hoof! That will have to be saddled, at the least. Perhaps the whole lot. Miss Spot? I believe you should-" He frowned. "Actually, I believe you shouldn't; we'll need your strong back to carry the seeds. Mister Bomb? It's your time to-" His brow furrowed. "Come to think of it, we can't afford to drop those seeds; the bag could rip open. Your wings will help spot Miss Spot. That just leaves-" His pointing hoof kept searching, but found nopony. Empty space, a bit of shrubbery, passers-by, the plow parts, Miss Spot again...

Crown's eyes widened, filled with dread.

"...oh."

Balmas
2014-06-03, 04:55 PM
Dive Bomb finished settling the smaller parts in his saddlebags. "Grease can carry the seeds, and I've can carry most of the other parts and still fly." He grinned, laying a conciliatory wing across the colt's shoulders. "Just think; maybe your sweetums will see you carrying such a load, and be so impressed with your strength that she'll knock you into a smaller ditch next time."

One Tin Soldier
2014-06-04, 10:55 AM
"Sounds good to me," Grease said, with a small smirk on her face. Some good old-fashioned manual labor would be good for Crown. Besides, he was still an earth pony. He should be fine.

TheAmishPirate
2014-06-04, 11:38 AM
Crown pouted fiercely, knowing he was well and truly ensnared. "Hmmph! Well I'm glad you two are in such fine spirits." With an extravagant toss of his mane, the colt summoned up the stiffest of his upper lips. "But you're right! What shame would my thorny rose feel, being seen with a milquetoast, flabby specimen of a pony? She ought to hold her head high, knowing that Crown Cork carries the proud blood of the Earth Ponies in his veins; a passionate soul, capable of great feats of body when the need calls!" He stamped his hooves upon the ground and braced himself, burying all hesitation at the torture to come beneath a veil of fiery determination. "Saddle that load upon my back, friends, and let us be off!"

BlasTech
2014-06-05, 11:37 AM
Once back outside the Smithy, the ponies we're afforded a choice. They could take the main road back the way they came, taking the most direct route back to the seed stores and their work. Or, they could detour through the south of the city, past the administrative and educational districts. Such a path would appeal only to slacker ponies who didn't value the need to get back to work.

Technically, they could also go elsewhere in the city too. But, clearly, anypony even considering such an action was a very silly pony. And should feel bad.

Balmas
2014-06-05, 04:44 PM
Dive Bomb bent low under the heavy plowshare, steadying it with his wings as he wobbled it onto Crown's back. The pegasus rolled his eyes. At least when Crown had been intent on discerning the facts of his as-yet-nonexistent love life, the colt had been quiet. Still, there was hope! With any luck, the colt would put up such a fuss huffing and wheezing while carrying the heavy wedge that he'd forget to blabber.

"No sense taking up more time," he stated. "Best to get those seeds and get back to the field; sooner we do that, the sooner we can get our jobs done and be free for the afternoon."

One Tin Soldier
2014-06-06, 02:29 PM
Dive Bomb bent low under the heavy plowshare, steadying it with his wings as he wobbled it onto Crown's back. The pegasus rolled his eyes. At least when Crown had been intent on discerning the facts of his as-yet-nonexistent love life, the colt had been quiet. Still, there was hope! With any luck, the colt would put up such a fuss huffing and wheezing while carrying the heavy wedge that he'd forget to blabber.

"No sense taking up more time," he stated. "Best to get those seeds and get back to the field; sooner we do that, the sooner we can get our jobs done and be free for the afternoon."

"Sounds like a good idea to me," Grease said. "Besides, the sooner we get back the sooner poor little Corky can unload his back."

Ravian
2014-06-06, 09:40 PM
"Well, you shouldn't be" replied Rinda, turning back to study that tar-strewn wall. The griffoness took a steadying breath, bracing herself for something.

"Sometimes nations need to be destroyed."

Soot held out a cautioning hoof "You mean your own?" she paused to let Rinda register the question before adding. "Because of how they've treated you and your sister?"

TheAmishPirate
2014-06-07, 10:04 PM
"Sounds like a good idea to me," Grease said. "Besides, the sooner we get back the sooner poor little Corky can unload his back."

Crown flushed bright red, cheeks puffed out in indignation. "My name is Crown or Mister Cork, if you please-"

Dive Bomb bent low under the heavy plowshare, steadying it with his wings as he wobbled it onto Crown's back.

"Whoooof!" He felt the moment Dive Bomb stopped supporting the plowshare. What felt like a cartload of burly ponies came to rest square on his poor, unprepared back, where they promptly decided to take a simultaneous snooze. Sweat broke out on his brow, his knees shook, but he refused to yield. "Nnnnghhh...and I am not some...hrrgh...mewling little...grrr...foal!" From deep within him he dredged up some hidden reserve of Earth Pony grit, and braced himself firmly under the load. "Ha! Don't rush on my account; I could carry this chunk of iron there and back again if I had to."

Balmas
2014-06-08, 01:03 AM
It took all of Dive Bomb's not-inconsiderable skill to keep a blank face, instead of grinning like a fool. Insufferability? Hah! Even the greatest pony had weaknesses, and Crown had given away two in as many minutes.

Oh, wouldn't that just be beautiful, though? The thought of taking the longer route with the new immigrants danced in Dive Bomb's vision.

Alas, they had a job to do. And as delicious as it would be to see Crown earn some sweat in that well-conditioned mane, it would be much more enjoyable to be able to be free of the restraints imposed by their schedule.

"No sense waiting, then," Dive Bomb said, putting wings to the action and setting a swift pace.

After all, he was a researcher, not a saint.

BlasTech
2014-06-10, 07:20 AM
Soot held out a cautioning hoof "You mean your own?" she paused to let Rinda register the question before adding. "Because of how they've treated you and your sister?"

"Of course." Replied Rinda, turning back towards the unicorn.

"The Griffon Kingdoms are sick, Soot. They're dying. I mean, we don't even have a king anymore. The whole place is run by grey feathered old fools who cling to the traditions and rules as if they're going to save them. But all it does is put in place a system that rewards those at the top of the roost, and destroys the lives of those who are not so lucky."

"If the Kingdom is going to fall, then why not by my talons? I could fix things, make it better. Create something that s- we could all be proud of again."

"The magic that made Sanctum strong could do the same for the Griffons. It's a power that will be mine."

The griffoness' expression had settled into determined lines, staring out to a future that only she could see. It was brought back a moment later by the quiet voice of Alone.

"It doesn't work that way." She said, stepping forward to get Rinda's attention. The grey coated pony pointed a hoof towards the tar that was seeping from the back wall.

"That is not the magic of Sanctum. That is not the power to build or to grow. That is the sickness that brought the city to ruin in its final days."

"It is hatred, despair and death. It is a disease of the soul, and will destroy you if you try to take it up."

"No sense waiting, then," Dive Bomb said, putting wings to the action and setting a swift pace.

After all, he was a researcher, not a saint.

The three ponies had a choice, and they chose wisely

Clearly, the three ponies were good, hardworking, ponies who understood the value of getting the job done.

The walk back to the granaries went smoothly, and soon they stood outside the seed stores again where the aged griffon was attending to his post.

Balmas
2014-06-10, 10:43 PM
Dive Bomb shifted, the weight in his saddlebags swinging back into a balanced position. "Excuse me," he said, eyeing the sitting griffon. Somehow, there was a niggling feeling that fear was the appropriate response, but that just wasn't reasonable. Griffons helped them, after all. "We've been sent to pick up an order of seed for the fields."

One Tin Soldier
2014-06-11, 12:32 AM
"Do you need to see our work papers?" Grease asked the griffin, her hoof already halfway into her saddlebags. Sanctum was a wonderful city, but dear sun above did they like their paperwork.

TheAmishPirate
2014-06-11, 10:13 PM
A few moments later, a miserable shamble of bones once called Crown Cork dragged itself to the seed shop. By some foul curse, the route back had tripled in length; he'd counted the steps, he knew for a fact it was longer. Ambition and spirit lay squashed beneath his heavy burden, joining his muscles in a miserable heap of toil. But though his beautiful coat ran slick with sweat, stubborn pride and Earth Pony grit held his load aloft.

The exhausted colt stood behind his compatriots, eyes unfocused as he caught his breath.

BlasTech
2014-06-11, 10:18 PM
"Do you need to see our work papers?" Grease asked the griffin, her hoof already halfway into her saddlebags. Sanctum was a wonderful city, but dear sun above did they like their paperwork.

"Oh! No, I never bother to read them. Too much effort, all this paperwork. Just go right in, and make sure to tell me what you take." replied the Griffon, eying Grease's saddlebags with apprehension.

The interior of the granary was just as disorganised as the griffon's disdain for paperwork implied. Sacks were stacked in any old fashion, and often many were missing labels to identify their contents. The ponies would have to pick them by sight.

[DC15 mind check to find the right seeds]

Balmas
2014-06-12, 08:41 AM
A frozen Dive Bomb stood statue-like in the doorway of the warehouse. Somewhere far away, a hundred miniature green pegasi wept over the disorder in the warehouse. How could anyone allow a space of storage to become so disordered? It went against everything that a warehouse should be.

Dive Bomb's muzzle twisted into a grimace. This would be more difficult than he'd thought. Carefully, the statue cracked an eye towards Grease's work order, before drifting towards the monolithic slabs of chaos.

Mind 5, Research 1, rolled twice for wary.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Ravian
2014-06-12, 11:02 AM
"Of course." Replied Rinda, turning back towards the unicorn.

"The Griffon Kingdoms are sick, Soot. They're dying. I mean, we don't even have a king anymore. The whole place is run by grey feathered old fools who cling to the traditions and rules as if they're going to save them. But all it does is put in place a system that rewards those at the top of the roost, and destroys the lives of those who are not so lucky."

"If the Kingdom is going to fall, then why not by my talons? I could fix things, make it better. Create something that s- we could all be proud of again."

"The magic that made Sanctum strong could do the same for the Griffons. It's a power that will be mine."

The griffoness' expression had settled into determined lines, staring out to a future that only she could see. It was brought back a moment later by the quiet voice of Alone.

"It doesn't work that way." She said, stepping forward to get Rinda's attention. The grey coated pony pointed a hoof towards the tar that was seeping from the back wall.

"That is not the magic of Sanctum. That is not the power to build or to grow. That is the sickness that brought the city to ruin in its final days."

"It is hatred, despair and death. It is a disease of the soul, and will destroy you if you try to take it up."

"Listen to Alone, Rinda, it nearly destroyed her before I found her. No one wants that to happen to you as well." Soot implored her "Please Rinda, we don't want to see you hurt."

BlasTech
2014-06-12, 03:43 PM
A frozen Dive Bomb stood statue-like in the doorway of the warehouse. Somewhere far away, a hundred miniature green pegasi wept over the disorder in the warehouse. How could anyone allow a space of storage to become so disordered? It went against everything that a warehouse should be.

Dive Bomb's muzzle twisted into a grimace. This would be more difficult than he'd thought. Carefully, the statue cracked an eye towards Grease's work order, before drifting towards the monolithic slabs of chaos.

Mind 5, Research 1, rolled twice for wary.

[roll0]
[roll1]

After much painstaking work on inspecting seeds and comparing them to diagrams in his encyclopedia, Dive Bomb was able to rule out the seeds that they encountered on the first floor of the granary. With things beginning to blur together into an interminably long blur, the three ponies ascended to the second story.

To find that things were even worse here; sacks and barrels were stored higgledy piggledy all over the place. Often packed so tightly that ponies would have to squeeze between them to navigate their way further into the twisted maze of produce-to-be. There was no flying here; the stores stretched straight to the ceiling a good eight feet above them. They could also easily lose themselves amongst the stacks.

[DC20 recovery check for the partial]

"Listen to Alone, Rinda, it nearly destroyed her before I found her. No one wants that to happen to you as well." Soot implored her "Please Rinda, we don't want to see you hurt."

"Hurt?" snapped Rinda. "I've been hurting all my life, Soot. That system and all you ponies have seen to that!"

As she spun around to face the two ponies at the foot of her throne, Rinda slashed a wing through the air. Wind burst around them, staggering Soot and Alone and threatening to send them falling back into the last line of black orbs.

[DC10 body check to prevent falling, no harmony bonus this time]

TheAmishPirate
2014-06-12, 08:40 PM
After much painstaking work on inspecting seeds and comparing them to diagrams in his encyclopedia, Dive Bomb was able to rule out the seeds that they encountered on the first floor of the granary. With things beginning to blur together into an interminably long blur, the three ponies ascended to the second story.

To find that things were even worse here; sacks and barrels were stored higgledy piggledy all over the place. Often packed so tightly that ponies would have to squeeze between them to navigate their way further into the twisted maze of produce-to-be. There was no flying here; the stores stretched straight to the ceiling a good eight feet above them. They could also easily lose themselves amongst the stacks.

[DC20 recovery check for the partial]

*thunk*

Crown collapsed on the top of the stairs, at the same moment his jaw hit the floor. His head lolled over, meeting Dive Bomb's own incredulous gaze. No words were said. No words were needed. For once in their friendship, they understood each other perfectly.

"...well then." The colt said, breaking the silence. "Those bags over there have some...drawings reminiscent of trees? Or shrubbery? Whatever they are, they don't look like...whatever plant it is we're looking for." He waved a hoof about tiredly, a few shades away from reality.

(Adding a Harmony bonus to the searcher.)

One Tin Soldier
2014-06-14, 12:23 AM
"You know you can put that down for the moment, right Crown?" Grease said, addressing the colt lying on the floor. "No one will bother it while we look for these seeds."

"Let's see, let's see," she said, walking down the haphazard rows. "What were all the seeds we needed to pick up?" She rifled through the papers in her bag, looking for whichever one had the list.

[Adding Harmony bonus]

BlasTech
2014-06-14, 02:19 AM
"You know you can put that down for the moment, right Crown?" Grease said, addressing the colt lying on the floor. "No one will bother it while we look for these seeds."

"Let's see, let's see," she said, walking down the haphazard rows. "What were all the seeds we needed to pick up?" She rifled through the papers in her bag, looking for whichever one had the list.

[Adding Harmony bonus]

Grease rifled through the papers until she found the bla bla bla, I'm sure the seeds bit was in there somewhere.

[See OOC thread]

Balmas
2014-06-14, 10:37 AM
"The foreman said to make sure that we knew the difference between daisy and lily seeds," Dive Bomb said, clambering over pile of seed bags. "And to be careful. Now that I see the warehouse, I can see why." He groaned. "I've been looking for both labels. I wish I didn't have to be glad that we have even that..."

5 mind, 1 Research, 3 harmony.

[roll0]
[roll1]

One Tin Soldier
2014-06-14, 10:40 PM
Grease stared down at the papers in her hooves, mystified. Was this meant for her? That couldn't be right. And yet, it wouldn't make sense to be there if it wasn't meant for her...

The sound of Dive Bomb's voice snapped her attention back to the present. "Um... Lilies. We're supposed to get lily seeds." If the message was meant for her, and it wasn't complete nonsense, then it would be better to wait until they were back out in the crowd to mention it.

BlasTech
2014-06-15, 04:07 AM
"The foreman said to make sure that we knew the difference between daisy and lily seeds," Dive Bomb said, clambering over pile of seed bags. "And to be careful. Now that I see the warehouse, I can see why." He groaned. "I've been looking for both labels. I wish I didn't have to be glad that we have even that..."

5 mind, 1 Research, 3 harmony.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Oh right, Lily seeds, that was right.

Up on the back shelf, at the furthest end of the stores. Dive Bomb finally found the bag of Lily seeds tucked away in the corner. Luckily too, because it was past time that the ponies got back to their chores. Clearly, fields don't tend themselves after all.

Balmas
2014-06-15, 11:57 PM
"There you are," Dive Bomb grunted, snagging one corner of the bag in his mouth. The bitter taste didn't help his already disgruntled mood. The sooner they could get this done, the better, and a lazy warehouse manager wasn't helping.

Ravian
2014-06-16, 09:34 AM
Soot attempted to hold strong against the assault and avoid being pushed back

body 2
[roll0]

TheAmishPirate
2014-06-16, 09:46 PM
"Good. Now let's vacate this pitiful excuse for a premises." Crown stuck his tongue out in disgust and started the long crawl back down the stairs.

BlasTech
2014-06-17, 12:01 AM
"There you are," Dive Bomb grunted, snagging one corner of the bag in his mouth. The bitter taste didn't help his already disgruntled mood. The sooner they could get this done, the better, and a lazy warehouse manager wasn't helping.

The bag came away easily. It was faily hefty to carry, but could be managed by one pony with a little difficulty. Carrying it back down the stairs and out of the granary was a tricky endeavour, but soon enough they were back outside where the old griffon was doodling on a notepad by his desk.

Soot attempted to hold strong against the assault and avoid being pushed back

body 2
[roll0]

Soot's hoof slipped, touched a sphere, and then everything became darkness once again.

"Lights on, you maggots!"

The harsh voice was accompanied by the flare of torchlight from outside. Soot found herself lying on a small cot against the wall of what could only have been a prison cell. Stone walls surrounded her on three sides, while a wall of iron bars blocked the only other way out of the room. They also provided a means by which Soot could look out onto the hallway, and a means for light to enter her cell.

Across the way from her were a number of similar cells. Most were vacant, but the one directly across from her held two young griffons. They stirred awake, just as a pair of guards entered Soot's field of vision and began unlocking the cell door.

"No!" cried Rinda, coming fully awake. Her eyes were wide with fear as the guards pushed their way into the cell where she and the smaller, dark feathered, griffon sat.

"Back off."

"You're not taking her!"

"Sis, don't! You'll just make it worse. Don't worry, I'll be fine."

The two guards soon exited, Karen walking between them. As they left the lights began to dim again, leaving Soot alone with Rinda.

A quiet sobbing soon began in the darkness.

One Tin Soldier
2014-06-17, 11:21 PM
"We've got the seeds we needed," Grease said to the warehouse keeper, letting the heavy sack shift into a slightly more comfortable position. "Lily seeds, to be exact."

BlasTech
2014-06-17, 11:48 PM
"Just the one bag?" replied the griffon, not looking up from his drawing. "Okay, well, if you need any more feel free to come and get it whenever. Have a good day!"

Balmas
2014-06-17, 11:49 PM
"No thanks to your 'organization,'" Dive Bomb huffed under his breath, before turning towards the gate.

BlasTech
2014-06-19, 07:16 PM
The walk back to the gatehouse was uneventful, as such things should be. The guards on duty were again more focusted on waving the trio through rather than checking the papers of those who were leaving the city, although one did chuckle at seeing Crown struggling with his heavy load, telling him to be careful with it before turning back towards examining somepony else's papers.

Outside, the sun had dried up the dirt roads, leaving them with a clear walk back to their plot of land.

Balmas
2014-06-19, 11:53 PM
"Do you need any help with the harness?" Dive Bomb wiped a bit of sweat off his forehead, and stared at the sun high above. "Because if not, I could start gathering clouds, make things a bit cooler for you."