PDA

View Full Version : Elementally Alligned Monks

GoblinGilmartin
2014-04-01, 06:20 AM
I'm tossing in a Last Airbender inspired plot into my game. Can anyone point me to some Elemental monk-type splat? And no, I'm not interested in actual Last Airbender homebrew.

Waker
2014-04-01, 07:44 AM
Did you want Monks that had a few elemental traits or full-out flinging around fire and rocks like Avatar? The former can be achieved via a number of ACFs like Draconic Fist from Dragon Magic or Planar Monk from the Planar Handbook. The latter would require Tashalatora, Enlightened Fist or Sacred Fist.

GoblinGilmartin
2014-04-01, 07:47 AM
Did you want Monks that had a few elemental traits or full-out flinging around fire and rocks like Avatar? The former can be achieved via a number of ACFs like Draconic Fist from Dragon Magic or Planar Monk from the Planar Handbook. The latter would require Tashalatora, Enlightened Fist or Sacred Fist.

one that grows into another. I know I'm going to have to make a lot of it up myself, because the powers are going to be granted by demigoddesses, and they turn the characters into avatars(unintentional comparison!) of a specific element. They're gonna get pretty powerful.

Telonius
2014-04-01, 10:52 AM
A Swordsage focused on Stone Dragon, going into Deepstone Sentinel, would be a pretty good approximation of an Earthbender. Desert Wind would be a decent Firebending stand-in.

animewatcha
2014-04-01, 11:04 AM
Divine mind's ? only with some monk sterf thrown in?

Doc_Maynot
2014-04-01, 11:08 AM
In a Dragon Magazine (I'll find the issue promptly 314) There are four monk PrCs, each having to do with one of the four elements.

My mistake, they were all wind based.

Werephilosopher
2014-04-01, 11:10 AM
Dragon #314 has some element-themed material, including four air-themed prestige classes that combine monk abilities with other classes- cleric, druid, arcane caster, and rogueish.

Oops, swordsage'd.

Given that the Air Nomads were almost entirely monks, the prcs could be used as variants. They're even based off the four winds, similar to how the Air Nomads had temples at each corner of the globe. Doesn't help with the other elements though...

animewatcha
2014-04-01, 11:13 AM
Would it be hard to adapt those four into the other elements? even heart so they can cooperative cast a summon captain planet

Werephilosopher
2014-04-01, 11:30 AM
Would it be hard to adapt those four into the other elements? even heart so they can cooperative cast a summon captain planet

Shouldn't be too hard; just change the Air Domain to the appropriate element, give the sneak-attacker a different spell list for the other elements, and change the wildshaper's gaseous form to something more appropriate for other elements.

Can't help with heart I'm afraid :smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2014-04-01, 11:31 AM
Can't help with heart I'm afraid :smallbiggrin:

Truenamer. :smallwink:

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-01, 11:53 AM
Have you considered just playing a bender. Avatar D20 is a thing that is free on the internet. (https://sites.google.com/site/avatard20/) It uses the 3.5 rule set with a few changes.

Zombulian
2014-04-01, 12:20 PM
There's a Dragon Mag somewhere with variant ninjas based on the elements. I think base ninja was wind.

BornValyrian
2014-04-01, 12:59 PM
Have you considered just playing a bender. Avatar D20 is a thing that is free on the internet. (https://sites.google.com/site/avatard20/) It uses the 3.5 rule set with a few changes.

Seconding this

Though I've had an idea for a while of making an airbender-sequel prc for sorc/wiz

Kuulvheysoon
2014-04-01, 01:54 PM

Seconding this

Though I've had an idea for a while of making an airbender-sequel prc for sorc/wiz
Dudes?

I'm tossing in a Last Airbender inspired plot into my game. Can anyone point me to some Elemental monk-type splat? And no, I'm not interested in actual Last Airbender homebrew.

There's also the Elemental Warrior PrC, presented in the Planar handbook, IIRC.

Spore
2014-04-01, 02:03 PM
Check out the Elemental Fist feat and the Monk of the Four Winds Archetype from Pathfinder.

GoblinGilmartin
2014-04-01, 05:20 PM
Soo...check the Planar Handbook, is what I'm getting out of this. I'll start there.

NoACWarrior
2014-04-01, 06:44 PM
If its a low magic setting you could take the stunning energy feats which convert your stunning attempts into throwable energy orbs, elemental sheathing for your unarmed attacks, and elemental retribution. Considering how many stunning fists you get as a monk its not horrible. But you will eventually run out after the 2nd fight per day.

Alternatively you could take levels in kensai to enhance your fists with energy.