PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Best Published Adventure?

shadow_archmagi
2014-04-01, 12:22 PM
I'm thinking of running a 4E game for some friends, and while normally I hold it as a rule of honor that I only ever serve homemade (never frozen or canned!), I'm really not going to have time to orchestrate a full campaign over the summer. As such, I'm going to have to resort to store-bought for once; which boxed set does the playground feel is best?

neonchameleon
2014-04-01, 12:35 PM
I'm thinking of running a 4E game for some friends, and while normally I hold it as a rule of honor that I only ever serve homemade (never frozen or canned!), I'm really not going to have time to orchestrate a full campaign over the summer. As such, I'm going to have to resort to store-bought for once; which boxed set does the playground feel is best?

Zeitgeist from ENWorld

Following that, The Slaying Stone, Reavers of Harkenwold, whatever comes in Monster Vault, and Madness at Gardmore Abbey

Tegu8788
2014-04-01, 09:58 PM
I second Zeitgeist. I got to play in it a bit, and it was real fun. And definitely different from the norm.

obryn
2014-04-02, 10:08 AM
I am running Zeitgeist right now (though real life has made the scheduling spotty), and it's pretty awesome. Highly recommended.

Also, the first adventure is free.

Also also, the Expanded Player's Guide has amazing Paragon Paths. These include...

A gun guy who turns his gun into a blaster with a SHRINK RAY.
A guy who is basically either Iron Man or a mecha pilot
A guy who's so good at arguing that when he argues with the universe, he wins
A literal rock star with a posse, who can summon a phantom audience.

p.d0t
2014-04-06, 06:07 PM
I've heard Zeitgeist recommended, but the general advice I hear anytime someone asks is this:

Level 1 - The Slaying Stone (Standalone "folder" adventure)
Level 2-4 - The Reavers of Harkenwold (from the Essentials DM's Kit)
Level 4-5 - The Cairn of the Winter King (from the Essentials Monster Vault)
Level 6-8 - The Madness at Gardmore Abbey (fantastic standalone box set)
Paragon Tier - Revenge of the Giants (Standalone hardcover)
Eberron - Seekers of the Ashen Crown

shadow_archmagi
2014-04-07, 09:01 AM
I am running Zeitgeist right now (though real life has made the scheduling spotty), and it's pretty awesome. Highly recommended.

Also, the first adventure is free.

Also also, the Expanded Player's Guide has amazing Paragon Paths. These include...

A gun guy who turns his gun into a blaster with a SHRINK RAY.
A guy who is basically either Iron Man or a mecha pilot
A guy who's so good at arguing that when he argues with the universe, he wins
A literal rock star with a posse, who can summon a phantom audience.

Wait, literal rock star as in, the class is exactly like our modern day concept of "rock star" or like, star with the fusion and the burning and the being a light in dark places thing?

obryn
2014-04-07, 01:05 PM
Wait, literal rock star as in, the class is exactly like our modern day concept of "rock star" or like, star with the fusion and the burning and the being a light in dark places thing?
You can download it yourself for free, but, in essence...

At 11th level, you get a posse and can transfer damage they take to you.
You also become the Center of Attention when you spend an action point, which is kind of like marking everyone, but not quite.
You also get to try and one-up an enemy who hits you or an ally with the Encounter power.

At 12th, you summon a Phantom Audience which can help with some of the related Theme's abilities like "Audience Participation."

At 16th, you are harder to kill when you have an audience.

At 20th, you and your posse get to mob someone as a daily power.

So it's a "celebrity" sort of paragon path, but Rock Star is about right. :smallbiggrin:

RedMage125
2014-04-08, 02:20 PM
I want to throw in behind Madness At Gardmore Abbey. I just finished running it 2 sessions ago with my group, and they loved it.

I usually don't run pre-published modules in my campaign world, but I fit Gardmore Abbey into my game, and just changed the name of the "home base" town, to a town in my world which I had named but never detailed fully. And then I changed the names of some of the deities mentioned in the module (my Sun deity is Adonathiel, for example, and my war deity is Damacles).

But MaGA is an amazing, open-ended module that lets the players decide where to go, and in what order to do things, with a living environment in the abbey itself that responds to their actions. My players started it at level 6, and the XP from the finale got them well into level 9.