PDA

View Full Version : Optimization What's the most cost effective way to get Darkvision?

KillianHawkeye
2014-04-01, 03:53 PM
Hey all,

I'm playing a sneaky Halfling Cleric in an oldschool-style dungeon crawl adventure. Many areas within the dungeon lack light sources, but for the purpose of staying undetected I'd prefer not to carry one with me.

The DMG has Goggles of Night for 12k gold, but are there any better options out there?

HammeredWharf
2014-04-01, 04:06 PM
Get someone to cast Darkvision on you or Mass Darkvision on the party. It's free and lasts an hour / caster level. You could also get a custom item of Darkvision for 2K if someone who can cast it as a 1st level spell made it, but that's probably not ok from your DM's perspective.

NoACWarrior
2014-04-01, 04:06 PM
Is a feat ok?

There are other ways to get dark vision with magic spell emulating custom wondrous items.

Edit: Dark vision can be permanencied - but its a raw deal if you get dispelled, but at 1k xp its pretty cheap

Also if you want a better dark vision you could get a magic item of Piercing Sight (mystery) for 24k continuous - it grants the ability to see invisibility and dark vision 60.

Frozen_Feet
2014-04-01, 04:25 PM
What level are you and how close to level-up? One level of Horizon Walker will get you permanent darkvision up to 60 feet.

How good this is depends on how high level you think you can get, whether darkvision is worth more than a bunch of gold & few more spells / delayed access to new spell level etc. The prereqs for Horizon Walker are very easy to fulfil, though.

KillianHawkeye
2014-04-01, 06:29 PM
Get someone to cast Darkvision on you or Mass Darkvision on the party. It's free and lasts an hour / caster level.

Well we do have a Wizard in the party. I'll see if I can trade 2nd-level spells with him or something.

You could also get a custom item of Darkvision for 2K if someone who can cast it as a 1st level spell made it, but that's probably not ok from your DM's perspective.

This doesn't work. It fails the "compare it to existing items" test. Remember that those are custom magic item pricing guidelines.

Is a feat ok?

What level are you and how close to level-up? One level of Horizon Walker will get you permanent darkvision up to 60 feet.

I just made it to level 6, so getting another feat or getting the prerequisites for Horizon Walker will just take too long. We are finding a pretty large amount of treasure in this dungeon, so I would prefer to solve the problem with money. I have no problem buying Goggles of Night the next time we find a big pile of loot, but I'd like to know if there is another option that I might be able to afford sooner.

HaikenEdge
2014-04-01, 06:49 PM
Dip Warlock, take See the Unseen?

Coidzor
2014-04-01, 06:54 PM
Pearl of Power 1K GP vs. Goggles 12K GP. Pearl wins.

1st level spell for 1st level spell vs. 1K GP... hmm, depends.

4K if going with the Pathfinder version.

NoACWarrior
2014-04-01, 07:06 PM
Dip Warlock, take See the Unseen?

Actually thats a good point - turn that spell like ability into a magic item.
See the Unseen in a magic item would cost 2 (spell level) * 1 (class level) * 1800 / 5 or 720gp for a command worded 1/day use version (even though the invocation lasts 24 hours you'll have to be weary of dispel magic).
See the Unseen in a continuous magic item would cost 2 (spell level) * 1 (class level) * 2000 / 2 or 2000gp for a continuous version (only needing to worry about suppression not dispelling).

It is a pretty cheesy way to get see invis AND darkvision though.

KillianHawkeye
2014-04-01, 07:18 PM
Pearl of Power 1K GP vs. Goggles 12K GP. Pearl wins.

1st level spell for 1st level spell vs. 1K GP... hmm, depends.

4K if going with the Pathfinder version.

Darkvision is a 2nd level wizard spell, so that would be 4,000. Still, that doesn't help unless they're already preparing Darkvision for themselves, since a Pearl of Power doesn't give you any spell you want, it gives you back the same spell you already cast. Maybe if they normally prepare one of their level 2 spells twice, I could get them to prepare that spell and Darkvision.

Actually thats a good point - turn that spell like ability into a magic item.
See the Unseen in a magic item would cost 2 (spell level) * 1 (class level) * 1800 / 5 or 720gp for a command worded 1/day use version (even though the invocation lasts 24 hours you'll have to be weary of dispel magic).
See the Unseen in a continuous magic item would cost 2 (spell level) * 1 (class level) * 2000 / 2 or 2000gp for a continuous version (only needing to worry about suppression not dispelling).

It is a pretty cheesy way to get see invis AND darkvision though.

That still fails the comparison test. An item of continuous darkvision and see invisibility should cost MORE than Goggles of Night, not 10k less.

Let's proceed forward with the notion that I'm not interested in cheesy custom magic items, shall we?

NoACWarrior
2014-04-01, 07:32 PM
Ok, even though pricing for such an Invocation based magic item are valid, I see your reasoning.

I point you to the Blindfold of True Darkness instead from the MiC, its 9k and gives you blindsight which is better than dark vision, but has a minor drawback.

KillianHawkeye
2014-04-01, 07:41 PM
I point you to the Blindfold of True Darkness instead from the MiC, its 9k and gives you blindsight which is better than dark vision, but has a minor drawback.

Now we're talking! This is exactly the sort of thing I wanted to see.

Are there any other alternatives?

geekintheground
2014-04-01, 07:52 PM

that drawback is actually pretty major for the rogue. being unable to see means you cant find traps.

NoACWarrior
2014-04-01, 08:00 PM
Scout's Headband from MiC for 3400gp, not all day but 3 hours over the day, and get a +2 on spot, and have the option to see invisibility or true seeing - RAD! You could get more than one of these to cover a 6 hour period.

Gem of the glitterdepth from MiC for 4500gp, gives blindsense but is a relic.

Tremor Graft from MoE for 6000gp, gives tremor sense as a move action.

All of the above are taken from this forum post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items) which I find extremely helpful at times.

I posted the headband because I specifically remember a post from JarronK saying that it was his favorite item ported over to MiC.

And yes, being blind won't let you find traps all that well... or at least won't normally let you disable them.

zingbobco000
2014-05-05, 12:13 PM
Take the template: Blue dragonspawn from beastiary of Kyrnn revised. It gives you dragon traits (immune to sleep, paralysis, get dark vision 60 ft., get low-light vision, and you can be old [+3 INT, WIS, and CHA] without any losses.) You also gain flight (60 ft.), +6 STR, +4 CON, +4 WIS, +4 CHA and breath weapon.

WeaselGuy
2014-05-05, 01:20 PM
I direct you here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?238939-Continuous-Collar-of-Umbral-Metamorphosis)...

Continuous Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis: (Tome of Magic) 22,000 gp, you get +8 Hide, +6 Move Silently, +10' to all forms of your movement, resist cold 10, darkvision 60', superior low-light vision, and the Hide in Plain Sight ability while not in daylight.

A little pricey, but for 10,200 (iirc) you get one with 3 uses per day at 10 minutes per use to acquire the [Dark] template (which is what the above derives from).

Red Fel
2014-05-05, 01:54 PM
If you haven't started play yet, you could simply play as a Deep Halfling (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfling.htm), and get Darkvision 60 feet for free. (Lose your racial sneak bonuses, though.) There are also a number of classes in which you could take a dip for Darkvision. A few come to mind: Dark Hunter 2 (CW) Hoardstealer 1 (Draconomicon) Dungeon Delver 1 (CAd) Shadowdancer 2 (DMG)
Just to name a few.

John Longarrow
2014-05-05, 02:03 PM
If its open, I'd switch to Whisper Gnome instead of Halfling.

Far better race.

You get darkvision,
You get spell like abilities
You get bonuses to hide/move silent
-2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Cha.

Plus you get move 30' instead of 20'.