PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Adding a spell to my list?

Bloodgruve
2014-04-01, 04:21 PM
Hey Playgrounders,

I've always liked Beguiler but I don't like their lack of damage options. I've recently been made aware that Reserve Feats coupled with Heighten Spell can give you some limited offensive options.

1. Beguilers have trouble with Undead and Outsiders among others. Whats the best energy descriptor to have when going up against these types of enemies. I kinda don't want Sonic but I was thinking Acid?

2. What are some easy ways to get a single spell with an energy descriptor on your Spell List. Extra Spell is a given but it would give me a 0 level spell if I took it at 3rd level, is there a better option to get Heighten/Reserve online?

I'm also limited to Core (SRD), PHB2, Completes, Spell Compendium and MIC. Races are limited to Core(SRD).

TYVM
Blood~

NoACWarrior
2014-04-01, 04:25 PM
For undead I think the favored type is fire - most undead have cold immunity or something like that, but with cold immunity comes fire vulnerability, many people overlook that.

Acid is likewise a good energy type - most things even constructs are not immune to acid damage.

If you could only pick one I'd pick acid, fire damage is good vs most undead but relatively worthless vs outsiders with high energy resistance.

If you can get wands I'd suggest pack a few wands of the orb spells though - the higher CL wands will definitely be expensive, but if they are your only option vs these immune types they are well worth the hundreds of gold per use.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-04-01, 04:30 PM
Extra Spell (CArc) can probably do what you want. The RAW is a bit funky, but I don't think any reasonable DM would disallow it. Arcane Disciple (CDiv) would work as well, with the right Domain choice. You might also look at Runestaffs (MiC), which basically add spells to your list of spells known-- probably won't work for Reserve feats, but it could be a less feat-intensive alternative.

You might also see if you can take the Warmage's Eclectic Learning ACF-- that'd probably be the simplest thing.

EDIT: I meant Warmage.

Bloodgruve
2014-04-01, 04:34 PM
Extra Spell (CArc) can probably do what you want. The RAW is a bit funky, but I don't think any reasonable DM would disallow it. Arcane Disciple (CDiv) would work as well, with the right Domain choice. You might also look at Runestaffs (MiC), which basically add spells to your list of spells known-- probably won't work for Reserve feats, but it could be a less feat-intensive alternative.

You might also see if you can take the Warlock's Eclectic Learning ACF-- that'd probably be the simplest thing.

I saw the Eclectic Learning for Warmage, where is it listed for Beguiler?

Grod_The_Giant
2014-04-01, 04:35 PM
I saw the Eclectic Learning for Warmage, where is it listed for Beguiler?
It's not. It's technically a homebrew solution, but it's worth asking your DM if you can do it-- it's still a 1:1 replacement of Advanced Learning.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-01, 04:42 PM
Runestaffs are an option but need UMD for spells that are not on your class list.
Robe of Mysterious Conjuration (MIC, 10000gp) lets you cast Summon Monster 3/day. The version depends on the spell slot you sacrifice so it scales as you go up in levels.
A level of Prestige Bard adds a few damage spells and opens up the possibility of Dragonfire Inspiration (can be boosted with items & spells to about +4-5) at the cost of a caster level.

This thread (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=12986.0) goes into more detail on damage options for Beguilers.

Bloodgruve
2014-04-01, 06:22 PM
Runestaffs are an option but need UMD for spells that are not on your class list.
Robe of Mysterious Conjuration (MIC, 10000gp) lets you cast Summon Monster 3/day. The version depends on the spell slot you sacrifice so it scales as you go up in levels.
A level of Prestige Bard adds a few damage spells and opens up the possibility of Dragonfire Inspiration (can be boosted with items & spells to about +4-5) at the cost of a caster level.

This thread (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=12986.0) goes into more detail on damage options for Beguilers.

Thanks Sleepy, that's where I got my initial info but the thread slowed down after a few responses so I opened this one here. Prestige Bard could give some spells with the Sonic descriptor and then Clap of Thunder, it needs Perform 8 and you lose a caster level though :/ There a way to grab Perform as a class skill?

I'm mostly interested in Reserve+Heighten feats but I'd like to bring it online with the least amount of resources possible ;)

Everything is helpful though.

Blood~

Wacky89
2014-04-01, 09:53 PM
Thanks Sleepy, that's where I got my initial info but the thread slowed down after a few responses so I opened this one here. Prestige Bard could give some spells with the Sonic descriptor and then Clap of Thunder, it needs Perform 8 and you lose a caster level though :/ There a way to grab Perform as a class skill?

I'm mostly interested in Reserve+Heighten feats but I'd like to bring it online with the least amount of resources possible ;)

Everything is helpful though.

Blood~

Dragon #326
Flexible Mind
gives you 2 cross class skills as class skills if u have 1 rank in them
also gives you +1 to those skills, gives you a aura of chaos power level equal to character level

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-02, 01:27 AM
Alternative ways to get class skills (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=9691)
Ways to expand a spell list (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2777)
There you go.

Vizzerdrix
2014-04-02, 02:20 AM
WHy not get into Mage of the Arcane Order?

TrueJordan
2014-04-02, 09:21 AM
I don't think beguilers qualify to the MotAO since they don't prepare spells and don't have spellbooks.
Also, I'd heavily recommend you using advanced learning to get Ray of Stupidity, one of the best spells in the game, definitely early on, which one-shots all animals and many magical beasts (especially after metamagic) though the rest of the team may feel a tad useless.

John Longarrow
2014-04-02, 10:00 AM
While Ray of Stupidity is pure awesome, just be careful.
My gnome warmage almost killed another party member when I accidentally crushed him under a giant purple worm.
I hit the worm, DM rolled scatter dice to see which way it fell over, friends character was under the dropping 20,000 lbs worm.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-04-02, 10:02 AM
I don't think beguilers qualify to the MotAO since they don't prepare spells and don't have spellbooks.
You can get in via the Arcane Preparation feat. It's not a bad choice for a spontaneous caster-- two crappy feats in exchange for as-needed access to all those lovely situational spells. You don't benefit from the New Spell ability is all.

It wouldn't be good for powering Reserve feats, though-- you can only call a limited number of spells/day, and they don't last for long once called.

Bloodgruve
2014-04-02, 12:35 PM
WHy not get into Mage of the Arcane Order?

It looks like you need to prepare spells which Beguiler doesn't do :/ I'd also like to have 19 to 20 lvls of Beguiler if possible which I failed to state in my initial post.

Looking through all the Reserve feats and being wary of energy resistances at higher levels I'm thinking that Acid Splatter is simple, ranged touch and has no save. It's only single target though but seems like a decent choice. Clap of Thunder does Sonic d6 melee touch with no save from damage, guess that could be a decent option if I wanted to run around in melee...

May just have to burn a Extra Spell to grab a 0 lvl Sonic.. Sonic Snap I guess, DM will let me grab a Sorc/Wiz spell with Extra Spell.

TY for the responses,

Blood~