PDA

View Full Version : Human But Not Human

Palanan
2014-04-01, 04:59 PM
Apart from the Buomann and the Illumians, are there any other races which are effectively humans with a little supernatural oddity mixed in?

I'm not looking for anything about bloodlines, or half-orcs with the Human Heritage feat, etc.; just other nearly-human races which might be a little obscure, preferably those which are human offshoots or descendants. Are there more like this out there?

mangosta71
2014-04-01, 05:06 PM
There's the Elan race. Technically they're aberrations, but they're born human and undergo psychic transformation to become Elan.

Aliek
2014-04-01, 05:09 PM
There's Azurin, from Magic of Incarnum and Kalashtar from Races of Eberron I believe.

Waker
2014-04-01, 05:11 PM
Azurin are the first that come to mind. They are humans infused with Incarnum.
Vashar from BoVD are another type of human, whose bonus feat must be a Vile feat.

NoACWarrior
2014-04-01, 05:17 PM
There is Karsite from ToM.

Phelix-Mu
2014-04-01, 05:30 PM
There are Silverbrow humans from Dragon Magic, who have the (dragonblood) subtype and, I think feather fall 1/day or something, and a couple other things.

Complete Psionics has the (psionic) subtype humans, that each get a special form of Wild Talent for their bonus feat. They come in one variety for each psionic discipline. The flavor is pretty cool, if you are running psionics; I've used them to great effect after a friend introduced me to them while DMing in a shared-world/multiple DM setup. Also, you could pretty easily reskin the concept and make them work with magic instead of psionics (though I think you'd have to make up another house or two, since there are more schools of magic than psionic disciplines).

Nice to see you posting again after the break, Palanan.:smallsmile:

Thunderfist12
2014-04-01, 05:35 PM
Maenad and Xeph from Expanded Psionics.
Genasi (elemental humans) from Forgotten Realms (I think).

What's this for, exactly?

The-Mage-King
2014-04-01, 06:35 PM
Plenty

Aventi
(Storm p34)
Azurin
(MoI p7)
Deep Imaskari
(Und p9)
Human, Aquatic
(UA p8)
Illumian
(RoD p52)
Mongrelfolk
(RoD p98)
Neanderthal
(Frost p37)
Sea Kin
(RoD p100)
Sharakim
(RoD p102)
Skulk
(RoD p105)
Underfolk
(RoD p108)

All Humanoids with the Human subtype. Add on the few like Karsite that went unmentioned...

Palanan
2014-04-01, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the responses so far--I've heard of some of these, but not all, since I tend not to look into MoI or psionics.

So, a few comments:

Originally Posted by The-Mage-King
*tall stack o' races*

Very nice, thank you. I'd wondered briefly about the Aventi, but hadn't thought about most of the others.

Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu
There are Silverbrow humans from Dragon Magic....

Aha! I don't have that book, so I keep forgetting about them.

Complete Psionics has the (psionic) subtype humans, that each get a special form of Wild Talent for their bonus feat...you could pretty easily reskin the concept and make them work with magic instead of psionics....

And thanks for the idea, I'll be looking into that. I really like this notion.

Nice to see you posting again after the break, Palanan.

Thanks, and likewise. :smallsmile:

Originally Posted by Thunderfist12
Genasi (elemental humans) from Forgotten Realms (I think).

Genasi are a different beast, in that they're native outsiders and rather strongly non-human-looking. They're covered in the FRCS, pp. 18-20.

Originally Posted by Thunderfist12
What's this for, exactly?

Oh, you know, stuff.

:smallcool:

NoACWarrior
2014-04-01, 06:56 PM
For a searchable list of humans and humanoids heres a link to WoTC's index
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/monsters&tablefilter=human

If you are DMing a game and I was participating I'd always take Bane Magic Human and enhance weapons with Mage Bane and Bane Human. :smallwink:

Just be careful with how you are building your campaign.

The-Mage-King
2014-04-01, 06:57 PM
Very nice, thank you. I'd wondered briefly about the Aventi, but hadn't thought about most of the others.

Check here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1281.0), too. That list I posted came from a rather, uh, imcomplete list acquired some time ago. There should be a listing for the (human) subtype near the bottom of the mess.

Also, Changelings.