PDA

View Full Version : New Traits and Flaws

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-02-04, 02:58 PM
Trait:
Autistic Savant
Benefit: Choose a Knowledge skill. If it is not already a class skill for you, it becomes one. If it is, you can buy two ranks in it for one skill point. Either way, you also gain a +8 competence bonus on that skill.
Drawback: You take a -4 to all Charisma related skill checks.

Perfect Pitch
Benefit: You get +2 to all perform (music) checks.
Drawback: Sonic attacks are more painful to you, dealing an extra point of damage per die.

Flaws:

Obsessive Compulsive
Effect: If you are a spellcaster, you make a DC 17 will save after you prepare your spells. If you fail, you must do it again (Just incase you forgot one.)
It takes you twice as long to don armor. Everytime you leave town, break camp, or leave your base of operations, you must meticulously check to make sure you have everything, a process taking 1d4 hours.

Hypochondriac
You believe you have any disease you see.
Effect: Any time someone in your party contracts a disease, you must make a will save against the diseases DC or you think you have it to. You become shaken until it can be proven that you do not, in fact, have the disease.
Also, any time you touch another creature, dungeon wall, or anything else that is dirty, you must make a will save or be compelled to wash your hands. If you cannot wash your hands, you become shaken until you can.

Jack_Simth
2007-02-04, 03:25 PM
Umm... not all spellcasters spend one hour preparing spells.

A Sorcerer or Bard, for example, spends only 15 minutes.

A Wizard who only needs to replace half his allotment only needs to spend 30 minutes.

And so on.

I might suggest re-wording it so that it is double, two hours regardless, or some such.

Legoman
2007-02-04, 04:27 PM
I just had an idea too, I thought I'd post it here. It's not worthy of a new thread.

Flaw: Difficult Casting
Pre-Requisites: Ability to cast first level spells.
Drawback: You can cast one less spell per day. This spell is always at the highest level you can cast.

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-02-04, 04:37 PM
Changed it so that it required a will save and can theoretically go on forever. Still might not be bad enough, though.

Mewtarthio
2007-02-05, 12:45 AM
Obsessive Compulsive
Effect: If you are a spellcaster, you make a DC 17 will save after you prepare your spells. If you fail, you must do it again (Just incase you forgot one.)
It takes you twice as long to don armor. Everytime you leave town, you must meticulously check to make sure you have everything, a process taking 1d4 hours.

I think I'll play a Ranger and get my free feat.

I just had an idea too, I thought I'd post it here. It's not worthy of a new thread.

Flaw: Difficult Casting
Pre-Requisites: Ability to cast first level spells.
Drawback: You can cast one less spell per day. This spell is always at the highest level you can cast.

Often forgotten is the sage advice from UA that reccomends no Flaw be tied to any particular class. If you play a class that has spells but doesn't use them as a defining feature, you get a free feat.

Icewalker
2007-02-05, 03:06 AM
I like em. The drawback from Autistic Savant seems pretty bad.

Hypochondriac...fun. Having to wash your hands whenever you touch something dirty? I love it.

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-02-05, 08:19 AM
[QUOTE=Icewalker;1957887]I like em. The drawback from Autistic Savant seems pretty bad.
QUOTE]

I wanted to give him +8 to a knowledge skill, but I thought that might be a tad powerful at early levels. But it would also be more true to life.

Logic
2007-02-05, 08:45 AM
Obsessive Compulsive
It takes you twice as long to don armor. Everytime you leave town, you must meticulously check to make sure you have everything, a process taking 1d4 hours.

I think I'll play a Ranger and get my free feat.
Often forgotten is the sage advice from UA that reccomends no Flaw be tied to any particular class. If you play a class that has spells but doesn't use them as a defining feature, you get a free feat.
If the green part of the feat is changed to "leave town, break camp, leave your character's home/base of operations" then it works just fine.
I like it, and plan to add it to the list of flaws available to my characters.

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-02-05, 09:45 PM
Changed them both.

cferejohn
2007-02-05, 11:03 PM
Perfect Pitch
Benefit: You get +2 to all perform checks made a cappella.
Drawback: Sonic attacks are more painful to you, dealing an extra point of damage per die.

Do you think it's unbalanced to make it any perform check? From a realism point of view, perfect pitch is tremendously healthy whatever sort of instrument you play (your lute will be tuned better, wind instruments will be more true - they usually allow a pitch to be bent to some degree, and it allows for better improvisation whatever you are playing). If it's just a balance thing, fine (though really most bards but their performing into singing anyway since they can do it and keep both hands free).

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-02-06, 11:26 PM
You have a point, and I don't think it would be unbalanced. I'll change it.