PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Arcane Justicar - a melee class designed to mess with wizards

Mr Adventurer
2014-04-01, 06:17 PM
ARCANE JUSTICAR

https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4141/5414716815_d9553a4e3c_b.jpg

The way of the Arcane Justicar is sometimes taught by magocracies needing an effective warrior force to police their own; and sometimes by ancient societies dedicating to protecting the world from the worst of magic-user's excesses. In any case, these fighters learn to anticipate and use the skills and tools of the arcanist against them.

Prerequisites
Base Attack Bonus +5

Skill: Spellcraft 4 ranks

Feat: Quick Draw
Feat: Delay Potion (Complete Mage)

Class Skills
Concentration, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device, Jump, Climb, Swim, Balance, Craft, Profession, Spot, Listen, Knowledge (arcana), Hide, Move Silently, Sense Motive
Skill Points: 4 + Int per level

Hit Die 1d8

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special

+1
+0
+0
+2
Arcane Infusion, Spell Lore, Spurn Spell (saves, AC)

+2
+0
+0
+3
Master Device

+3
+1
+1
+3
Reactive Arcana, Spell Lore (scrying)

+4
+1
+1
+4
Spurn Spell (spell-like), Master of Sword and Staff

+5
+1
+1
+4
Arcane Infusion (spellblood), Spurn Spell (resistance), Unveiled Gaze, Spell Lore (teleportation)

Special Abilities

Arcane Infusion (Ex): Using your Delay Potion feat, you can keep one additional potion in delay for each class level. Each potion can be activated as a swift action. Each potion expires after a number of hours equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum 1 hour), as normal. You can choose to have one delayed potion expire in order to “make room” for another one; this is a standard action.

In addition, if you have a different class with supernatural or spell-like abilities, you add your levels of Arcane Justicar to your levels in that class to determine caster level for those abilities whenever they are determined by class level (for example, a Monk 12/Arcane Justicar 4 would have a caster level of 8 for her Abundant Step monk class feature).

Spellblood: At fifth level, you can activate a potion you are keeping in delay as an immediate action. Unlike a normal immediate action, you keep your swift action in your following turn.

Spell Lore (Ex): You gain a bonus to Spellcraft checks made to identify spellcasting equal to your class level.

You also gain Vatic Gaze (PHB II) as a bonus feat, even if you do not meet the prerequisites. If you already have Vatic Gaze you instead gain one bonus feat for which you do meet the prerequisites.

At third level you automatically notice scrying sensors as though you had successfully made the Intelligence check, even if your Intelligence would normally be too low for you to attempt the check.

At fifth level you sense when a creature is about to appear near you via teleportation. If a creature teleports to a space within 25 feet plus 5 feet per two character levels of you, you automatically identify the space in which they will appear and can use your Reactive Arcana ability, as detailed below, to teleport anywhere adjacent to the space you have identified; become ethereal; or attempt to counterspell the spell being used to teleport by targeting the destination space (as an exception to the usual rules). All of these Reactive Arcana effects occur before the creature appears. In addition you are never surprised by a creature teleporting within the specified distance - you always get a surprise round.

Spurn Spell (Ex): You gain a bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like abilities equal to your class level.

In addition, you use your full AC (not your Touch AC) when attacked by spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities that require a touch attack.

At fourth level, you can identify a creature activating a spell-like ability using Spellcraft in the same way and with the same results as identifying spellcasting. The DC to do so is 20 + spell level and you must be able to see the creature or see its spellcasting via Unveiled Gaze (below). You can also apply your other class features to spell-like abilities as though they were spells, including Spell Lore and counterspelling with Reactive Arcana.

At fifth level, you gain spell resistance equal to 10 plus your base attack bonus plus the enhancement bonus of any melee weapon you are currently wielding. This spell resistance only applies against spells which you are aware of and which you wish to resist.

Master Device (Ex): At second level, you gain Magic Device Attunement (Complete Mage) as a bonus feat, even if you do not meet the prerequisite. If you already have this feat, you gain a bonus feat for which you do meet the prerequisite.

You can remain attuned to a number of devices using this feat equal to your class level. You remain attuned to each device for 24 hours. You can chose to lose your attunement to one item as a standard action.

You can attune yourself to a device by spending 5 minutes and making a DC 15 Use Magic Device check (you do not have to activate the device, just make this special check - this can help you conserve charges from charged items).

So long as you are holding, wielding, or wearing in a magic item body slot an item you are attuned to in this way, you gain a bonus on Initiative checks equal to your class level.

You also gain a competence bonus on all Use Magic Device checks equal to your class level.

Reactive Arcana (Su): At third level, when you successfully identify spellcasting or a spell completion device being activated within a distance of 400 feet plus 40 feet per character level, you can choose to spend one of your attacks of opportunity on one of the following effects depending on your class level:

At third level, you can teleport, as though by a Greater Teleport spell, adjacent to the source of the spellcasting. If you still threaten the target, they may provoke an attack of opportunity from you as normal if you have any left in this round.
At fourth level, you can become ethereal as though by an Ethereal Jaunt spell except the effect lasts only 1 round. Unlike normal creatures that become ethereal, you move at your normal speed (not half your speed) while on the Ethereal Plane.
At fifth level, you can attempt to counterspell the spellcaster as though casting Greater Dispel Magic with a caster level equal to your character level. Unlike the spell your effective caster level is not capped at a maximum of +20.

Master of Sword and Staff (Ex or Su): At fourth level, you do not provoke attacks of opportunity when activating a spell trigger item you have attuned to using your Magic Device Attunement feat or Master Device class feature.

When you are wielding a melee weapon and a spell trigger item you are attuned to at the same time, once per round while making a full attack you can substitute one of your iterative melee attacks with an activation of the spell trigger item you wield. You choose which iterative attack to substitute before rolling the attack die. If you do this you cannot activate another spell trigger device until the start of your next turn. If the spell requires an attack of some kind, use the iterative bonus which you sacrificed to activate the item.

You can wield a magical staff in one hand as a club (instead of two hands as normal for a double weapon). If you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, you can substitute an off-hand attack you would make with the staff (as a club thanks to this class feature) to activate the staff as above. All your attacks take the normal two-weapon fighting penalties.

In addition, for as long as you wield both a melee weapon and a spell trigger item you have mastered, you can bestow the Animated property on one shield for as long as you use it. This is a Supernatural ability.

Unveiled Gaze (Su): At fifth level you see as though you are permanently under the effects of See Invisibility, Darkvision, and Arcane Sight with a caster level equal to your character level. You can suppress or resume any of these spell effects of your Unveiled Gaze as a free action.

Mr Adventurer
2014-04-01, 06:23 PM
So the idea of this class is to add some extra defences against spellcasters to a warrior chassis, to add some supernatural effects to help the character deal with them, and some facility to turn the tools of the spellcaster - potions and spell trigger items - to your advantage without sacrificing efficacy.

I borrowed a little from the 4e Swordmage.

It is supposed to add a kind of "arcane warrior" or minigish feel to a character without having to have any actual spellcasting.

A design parameter is that it be fully compatible with the Mage Slayer line of feats - I think they complement this class very nicely. It does mean that no abilities can be (Sp) but that's fine.

Another design parameter was for it to be fully compatible with Occult Slayer. I think it is.

So my questions are:

Is this ridiculous in some way, and if so how?
Is it broken somehow and if so, how?
What do you think of it?
What do you think of the design of the class features/the class progression/the class overall?

NeoSeraphi
2014-04-03, 06:33 AM
It's certainly an interesting idea, but with all the class features you have (12 total) why not just make it a 10 level prestige class? You certainly could accomplish that no problem, and you could also spread some power more evenly and give a greater benefit to the person taking the class (I'd rather have +10 to my saves at level 15 than +5 to my saves at level 15).

Also, you don't have any "active" abilities until level 3. Levels 1 and 2 are a bunch of passive benefits that, while interesting, do not "define" the class. The first level of a class should always have some sort of interactive ability that defines the class. Here's what I think you should do:

Arcane Hunter (Su): An arcane justicar can channel his inner spell power into his blade and use it to strike against an arcane caster and neutralize their magic from within. Once per day per class level, an arcane justicar who is holding a delayed potion can sacrifice the potion and its effect to instead imbue his melee weapon or single piece of ammunition with arcane power as a free action. He then makes a single attack at his highest attack bonus as a standard action. If the attack hits, the creature struck by it is rendered incapable of casting spells or using spell-like abilities until the beginning of the arcane justicar's next turn. A missed attack wastes the daily use of the ability, as well as the potion. This is a supernatural ability.

Andion Isurand
2014-04-03, 05:28 PM
For the touch attack defense feature, I would replace it with this, modeled after the Wilder's ability.

Elude Touch (Ex): An arcane justicar's instinct supersedes his intellect, alerting him to danger from touch attacks (including rays). He gains a bonus to Armor Class against all touch attacks equal to his class level; however, his touch AC can never exceed his Armor Class against normal attacks

Mr Adventurer
2014-09-08, 06:23 PM
I've just made a couple of minor changes - upping the Spell Resistance available from Spurn Spell, clearing up the extra Delayed Potions you can have, and a couple of minor wording fixes.

It's certainly an interesting idea, but with all the class features you have (12 total) why not just make it a 10 level prestige class? You certainly could accomplish that no problem, and you could also spread some power more evenly and give a greater benefit to the person taking the class (I'd rather have +10 to my saves at level 15 than +5 to my saves at level 15).

Thanks! I want to keep it to a 5-level class so that you can drop it into a build and still complete a full 10-level Prestige Class. This is because of the way Prestige Classes work, in that if you envision you character as being a knight of the Purple Dragon in Faerun, for example, then you feel as though you have to have the Purple Dragon Knight PrC. I don't want this class - which really is about partially plugging a hole in the caster-warrior divide - to detract from your ability to do that.

I'd be willing to increase the BAB requirement to +10, delaying the acquisition of the more powerful upgrades to class features, but to be honest I'd rather not.

As for the number of abilities... well, a Wizard going to 10th level from 9th gets four class abilities: a new 4th level spell per day, a new 5th level spell per day, a bonus feat, and two new spells known. :D

Also, you don't have any "active" abilities until level 3. Levels 1 and 2 are a bunch of passive benefits that, while interesting, do not "define" the class. The first level of a class should always have some sort of interactive ability that defines the class. Here's what I think you should do:

Arcane Hunter (Su): An arcane justicar can channel his inner spell power into his blade and use it to strike against an arcane caster and neutralize their magic from within. Once per day per class level, an arcane justicar who is holding a delayed potion can sacrifice the potion and its effect to instead imbue his melee weapon or single piece of ammunition with arcane power as a free action. He then makes a single attack at his highest attack bonus as a standard action. If the attack hits, the creature struck by it is rendered incapable of casting spells or using spell-like abilities until the beginning of the arcane justicar's next turn. A missed attack wastes the daily use of the ability, as well as the potion. This is a supernatural ability.

That is not a bad point about not having any active abilities at the front of the class! The most active things that you get is: The ability to have 2 Delayed Potions using the feat; and the Vatic Gaze feat, allowing you to use Detect Magic at will and giving you the ability to use Sense Motive to detect how powerful a spellcaster is.Do you think that isn't enough?

As for your Arcane Hunter - it's pretty powerful! Automatically shutting down spellcasting is not something I think I've seen elsewhere in the game; the closest thing I can think of is the Witch Hunter's Momentary Disjunction, which allows a Will save to negate.

I quite like the idea of turning the arcane energy you've harvested using Delay Potion to other ends, though. That's clever. The only thing is I don't know what I'd give up! I feel like the class as it is at the moment ties together nicely.

For the touch attack defense feature, I would replace it with this, modeled after the Wilder's ability.

Elude Touch (Ex): An arcane justicar's instinct supersedes his intellect, alerting him to danger from touch attacks (including rays). He gains a bonus to Armor Class against all touch attacks equal to his class level; however, his touch AC can never exceed his Armor Class against normal attacks

I thought about something like this when I was designing the class, but in the end I decided not to go with a bonus to Touch AC. I thought that it would be an additional layer of book-keeping which would be a hassle to record and use - I mean, a character already has five Armour Classes! That's normal AC, touch AC, flat-footed AC, incorporeal AC and incorporeal flat-footed AC. I liked, too, that the ability immediately set your "spell AC" to your normal AC; I felt it sent a strong message that this class was tired of spellcasters' bull**** and wasn't going to put up with it any more! :D

Mr Adventurer
2018-01-08, 06:50 PM
I remembered that Initiative is also a key part of spell-slinging, so I added a class bonus to it.

Perhaps the class should gain something like Uncanny Dodge as well, I'll have to think it over for a bit.