PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Creating a Demilich character

FalseKing
2014-04-01, 08:01 PM
My DM as of late has recently had me and the other players to begin a villains campaign, where as the name implies we play as the bad guys who want the world to explode!

The character I was hoping some help in creating, our level so far is predicted along the lengths of 30, a character who plans on becoming a Demilich and a Demilich that is not one to be taken lightly!

Is there any build that can create a wonderfully infamous and powerful Demilich character? Or are there other builds that might also suit the image of a powerful Lich character (Demilich is just something I have found and after facing a few have fallen in love with) who might serve as an interesting villain?

Werephilosopher
2014-04-01, 08:22 PM
Maybe go the Walker in the Waste route? Instead of making the world explode, you want to turn it into your own dryed-out, sand-covered museum piece. No level adjustment since you become a dry lich via class levels, plus you get five canopic jars instead of one phylactery.

FalseKing
2014-04-01, 08:32 PM
Maybe go the Walker in the Waste route? Instead of making the world explode, you want to turn it into your own dryed-out, sand-covered museum piece. No level adjustment since you become a dry lich via class levels, plus you get five canopic jars instead of one phylactery.

That definitely is a good idea in sight of what might be interesting. And with a look at the demilich template (From the epi handbook version which he wil take when he gets powerful enough) he will be able to gain the traits of magical items around his five canopic jars, probably not all for the same slots, but none the less they are definitely capable of interesting style.

Not one to close off ideas just yet, are there other Lich(Ish) kind of builds that can be designed with an interesting style, or might suit being a Demilich in the future?

Werephilosopher
2014-04-01, 10:26 PM
Ooh, had another idea. Since you're at such a high level RHD shouldn't be too big an issue, you could be an alhoon- an illithid lich! Demiliches are supposed to lose their natural attacks, but maybe you could ask your DM if you could keep your tentacles attached to your jaw so you can continue to consume brains after becoming a rotting head. You don't have to become a fleshless skull, after all.

And to up the ante even more- being an ulitharid (a super-flayer) would make you large, and give you two more tentacles- your demilich form would basically be a floating, decomposing squid.

FalseKing
2014-04-01, 11:18 PM
Ooh, had another idea. Since you're at such a high level RHD shouldn't be too big an issue, you could be an alhoon- an illithid lich! Demiliches are supposed to lose their natural attacks, but maybe you could ask your DM if you could keep your tentacles attached to your jaw so you can continue to consume brains after becoming a rotting head. You don't have to become a fleshless skull, after all.

And to up the ante even more- being an ulitharid (a super-flayer) would make you large, and give you two more tentacles- your demilich form would basically be a floating, decomposing squid.

Ooooo! I like that idea! And not only will I get the awesome tentacles and brain consuption, but I also still get the incredibly nice mind blast, which when combined with the fact the Demilich can do ALOT in just one or two rounds itself, can be pretty deadly!

Werephilosopher my man, you are a evil genius! ANd hopefuly more ideas keep coming! I really feel like there might be something waiting to be come across, like what in forms of classes (Ilithid mind master design of Demilich also is included in class choices) I'd like to see ideas, with class choices if it isn't too much, up to level 30. (Currently starting at 15)

My DM so far has told me that the character I am making is going to be a lot like Acererak from Tomb of Horrors (IDK who that is) and that some fun builds are designed around that style, especially if he experiments alot. The Illithid Demilich is an awesome idea so that is on top of hte list atm, so if any other ideas come up let me know.

P.S: Recently discovered that we are to design an apprentice to take after our main villains if they are to die an irreversible death or if the villains have to head off for some extensive time (Lich-dom process?). So any fun cohorts to a Demilich or fun ways to design a partner to the Demilich would be awesome as well.

Werephilosopher
2014-04-02, 12:02 AM
Ooooo! I like that idea! And not only will I get the awesome tentacles and brain consuption, but I also still get the incredibly nice mind blast, which when combined with the fact the Demilich can do ALOT in just one or two rounds itself, can be pretty deadly!

Werephilosopher my man, you are a evil genius! ANd hopefuly more ideas keep coming! I really feel like there might be something waiting to be come across, like what in forms of classes (Ilithid mind master design of Demilich also is included in class choices) I'd like to see ideas, with class choices if it isn't too much, up to level 30. (Currently starting at 15)

My DM so far has told me that the character I am making is going to be a lot like Acererak from Tomb of Horrors (IDK who that is) and that some fun builds are designed around that style, especially if he experiments alot. The Illithid Demilich is an awesome idea so that is on top of hte list atm, so if any other ideas come up let me know.

P.S: Recently discovered that we are to design an apprentice to take after our main villains if they are to die an irreversible death or if the villains have to head off for some extensive time (Lich-dom process?). So any fun cohorts to a Demilich or fun ways to design a partner to the Demilich would be awesome as well.

Glad I can help :smallsmile: Before I go to bed, here's a quick sketch of what I'm thinking:

At 15th level, you'd have 8 RHD plus 7 LA.
3 levels of cleric
10 levels of walker in the waste
2 levels in anything else! Maybe Soul Eater?

Unfortunately starting at lvl 15 leaves you pretty weak to start off, as you'd only be a basic illithid- which means no ulitharid :smallfrown: I'll think about this some more.

EDIT: Maybe an illithid is too much... as an alternative, maybe a dragon -> dracolich? Hmm.

Also, Acererak is pretty much THE demilich. Tomb of Horrors is an old favorite, one of the most difficult adventure modules ever published. Idk what kind of apprentice he'd take...

Virdish
2014-04-02, 12:23 AM
This build screams for ur priest but I can't think of any way to qualify ur priest as well as walker in the wastes. Sadly if I'm reading correctly. An ur priest can not have access to domain spells which means he can't qualify. Unfortunantly without retraining your not going to have 9ths even by 30. I was about to write up an ur priest build using walker but then realized it wouldn't work.

FalseKing
2014-04-02, 05:32 AM
This build screams for ur priest but I can't think of any way to qualify ur priest as well as walker in the wastes. Sadly if I'm reading correctly. An ur priest can not have access to domain spells which means he can't qualify. Unfortunantly without retraining your not going to have 9ths even by 30. I was about to write up an ur priest build using walker but then realized it wouldn't work.

Not quite true! What if he went Wizard, used the arcane disciple feat, and according to Ur Priest I simply am not alowed to have divine spell casting, which I wont, and so it CAN blend into the build if thats a plan.

But onto the note of the apprentice, my main idea is maybe to have a Cleric/ Demonologist (From the Dicefreaks forums if you want to check it out they are pretty cool), or I might even tak demonologist as well. Nothing like a Demilich who has the power to summon forth a small army of demons to his service without error! Another idea was to make the Apprentice be the Illithid instead (Not a lot of progression on its own but thats why it is an assistant and not a majority character I might have around, might even replace with a Beholder and have it become a Beholder mage!)

Virdish
2014-04-02, 06:53 PM
Not quite true! What if he went Wizard, used the arcane disciple feat, and according to Ur Priest I simply am not alowed to have divine spell casting, which I wont, and so it CAN blend into the build if thats a plan.

But onto the note of the apprentice, my main idea is maybe to have a Cleric/ Demonologist (From the Dicefreaks forums if you want to check it out they are pretty cool), or I might even tak demonologist as well. Nothing like a Demilich who has the power to summon forth a small army of demons to his service without error! Another idea was to make the Apprentice be the Illithid instead (Not a lot of progression on its own but thats why it is an assistant and not a majority character I might have around, might even replace with a Beholder and have it become a Beholder mage!)

Probably as a result of not being a huge optimizer I always forget about arcane disciple. It really is quite a fun little feat. Ur Priest is just a lot of fun as well, not to mention just a little broken. I like the beholder mage companion idea.

FalseKing
2014-04-02, 08:47 PM
Probably as a result of not being a huge optimizer I always forget about arcane disciple. It really is quite a fun little feat. Ur Priest is just a lot of fun as well, not to mention just a little broken. I like the beholder mage companion idea.

Yeah, I've made an Ur priest here and there, but mainly in result to a rising need in a divine caster in my party and a trick to quickly gain the ability to gain quickly growing mystic theurge class combos by having them both increase quickly.

So far the ideas are incredibly well. My DM says that he and I will get to work on seeing if there is a way to make being an Illithid easier, such as dropping hit dice and make it a simple race, gaining tentacles based off level and such. As for Dragon possibilities such as Werephilosophers idea, he said it would make a great cohort to send out to wreak havoc on people close to his lair.

Other than the Illithid mastermind, is there specifically a certain way I can create a Lich (Possibly into demilich) character. Any specific class combinations. The idea I had for this guy is that he has a feat (Create Wondrous creature) to make creatures for his lair that will work for him and keep it safe, along with plenty of useful undead. There are currently 3 plans in my head for this guy which might help with build or possible other routes that serve better for his choice.

1. The Illithid mastermind who seeks to force the power of his mind over all the mortal races and to later call forth all kinds of horrible creatures from the Far Realms into the material world, and is completely stark raving mad and eventually plans on becoming the 'Perfect' Illithid.

2.A wizard whom has grown to become a powerful magic user and intends to uncover a series of magic plans and rituals to become the highest power he an achieve, his current plot being to find a way to become an entity beyond normal Lichdom (Hence the Demilich plan, and if there are even further points all the way to them. One thing My DM mentioned was something called the Paralich, not sure if anybody knows what that is.)

3. A Necromancer who, after many years of hiding in solitude in a long forgotten castle, seeks to claim power by creating an enormous army of the Undead which he plans on using to help sweep across the nation, using magical diseases and curses on the land to weaken and drive back resistance, and to later establish himself as Master of Undeath, and later seeking to find a way into higher forms of Lichdom, same as the wizard, and even possibly see (This is the flavory story part, not sure if possible) if he could bring back a dead god to wield and even drain of its power to further increase his power.