View Full Version : [RailITP] Academy City FFRP OoC

Pages : [1] 2 3

Arkhosia
2014-04-01, 08:20 PM
Academy City
Welcome one and all!

What is Academy City anyway?
So what is this game about?
It’s about a place called Academy City, close to Tokyo, where some of the most amazing people science has discovered are sent once their unique gifts are discovered. And just who are these people? Electron manipulators, telepaths, pyrokinetists, telekinetic users, teleporters, the list goes on and on. These are Espers: people capable of using psychic powers in some fashion or another, able to do extraordinary things once put through Academy City’s all-but unique psychic development programs. From things such as creating fireballs to manipulating luck itself, these people have demonstrated a wide array of capabilities after being gathered into the most advanced city on earth. The majority of espers (we’re talking 98-99% percent here) can barely be considered psychic before being ‘refined’ to the point they can manifest their abilities, but there are the rare few who manifest psychic abilities before being put through the program as well, almost literal gemstones of the world. These espers range from the almost powerless Level 0s to the awesome power possessed by the rare Level 5 espers.

But what about Academy City? Well, it’s a large city that is almost thirty years ahead of the rest of the world in terms of science and development, with numerous nations having a stake invested in the city’s unique residents. Almost sixty percent of the residents at Academy City’s schools, from the prestigious Azabu Academy and Tokiwaida Middle School to the more…’normal’ Onizuka Middle School…though how ‘normal’ any school can be when they are populated by a mix of psychics and normal people is up for debate. Though by far is it’s greatest asset is one of the satellites orbiting above, which continues the Tree Diagram program that can accurately predict the weather up to a month in advance, though those with the proper connections can ask it other things as well…Not that to say that everything is candy and sunshine in this sovereign city, there’s a darker underside to Academy City that most of it’s residents don’t even know about. Dangerous Skill Out gangs, those without powers who target espers for fun or rights, roam the streets and a person can disappear without a trace depending on where they stick their nose. Rumors of illegal research or weapons research are rampant, though Academy City is such a touchy place that such matters are never really investigated seriously by the Board of Directors in charge of Academy City.

This game is based on the setting of the To Aru no Kagaku Railgun (A Certain Scientific Railgun) light novels/anime/manga series. Watching/Reading the series is OPTIONAL, but they are rather good.

Okay, but how is it different from, say, Nexus?

It differs in several important ways.
First, it is a lot more uniform that the Nexus. Academy City has espers and science, not, say, kitten snipers.
Second, the plots that take place in Academy City is going to be more directed. There are the good, the bad, and the ugly, and they are mostly organized. Most plots and will be interwoven into one big plot. Or at least that's the intention.
Third, Academy City is NOT in any way connected to the Nexus. i.e. you cannot have a character travel between the two. If you want a character in Academy City, it is for Academy City. You can have a version of the same character for both the Nexus and Academy City, but they are different characters.

How do I start?

Well, you want to post a character in this thread, and the character registry when it goes up, so everyone can find information on your character and so people can give you helpful criticism on it.
To prevent a pattern that is all too easy to fall into, it's good to point out the fact that passive actions don't tend to get much attention.
With that in mind, make a post and begin!

There are rules, right?

Of course there are! This isn't exactly anarchic.
Firstly, no godmodding (or godmoding). Basically, don't make a character not your own do something. Saying bob's character is punched, or joe's suddenly feels pain, or Sally's smells smoke, are all examples.
Second, don't argue in the OOC!
They make the atmosphere oppressive, they make things less fun, and generally unpleasant and maybe even make the arguments larger than they need be. So, if you have a problem with someone, try to talk it out in PM or IM before using the OOC.
IC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?338838-RailITP-Academy-City-FFRP-IC-I)

Lady Serpentine
2014-04-01, 10:45 PM
Something we need to decide now, or at least early on - are we accepting both sides of Railgun, or only the more 'scientific/psychic' side? The last one disallowed magic as coming from religion, but I don't know if we wish to as well or what.

Arkhosia
2014-04-01, 10:47 PM
Something we need to decide now, or at least early on - are we accepting both sides of Railgun, or only the more 'scientific/psychic' side? The last one disallowed magic as coming from religion, but I don't know if we wish to as well or what.

I'm going to ask the mods about ifit would be okay.
That'll decide the use of it or not.

Anyr
2014-04-01, 11:51 PM
This truly is a resilient RP. It simply refuses to stay dead. Consider me interested. First things first: Is it okay for us 'oldbies' to import continuity from the earlier threads? It'd be a shame to let all those old plots and characters go to waste.

Arkhosia
2014-04-01, 11:54 PM
This truly is a resilient RP. It simply refuses to stay dead. Consider me interested. First things first: Is it okay for us 'oldbies' to import continuity from the earlier threads? It'd be a shame to let all those old plots and characters go to waste.

Hmm...
As long as said plots didn't affect the city too much, sure!

Terry576
2014-04-02, 02:26 AM
Oh jeez.

If Anyr wants to try and dredge up that bizarre clone thing we were doing, I'm super on board. That was the weirdest, best thing.

Arkhosia
2014-04-02, 05:51 AM
Mind posting the PC and backstory in the directory I recently posted?
Also, just realized what my sig says. :smalltongue:

Morcleon
2014-04-02, 08:15 AM
Hey~! ^_^

I'm here now. I'll write up the backstory and such for my character later.

Anyr
2014-04-02, 08:55 AM
Ishimaru Moroe (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?338853-RailITP-Academy-City-FFRP-Registry&p=17239867&viewfull=1#post17239867) has now been reposted.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh jeez.

If Anyr wants to try and dredge up that bizarre clone thing we were doing, I'm super on board. That was the weirdest, best thing.

By all means. Provided, of course, we don't drown the newer players in old subplots. This seems like the perfect opportunity to let Moroe and Hajime shed some of their excess baggage...

Terry576
2014-04-02, 09:40 AM
Ishimaru Moroe (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?338853-RailITP-Academy-City-FFRP-Registry&p=17239867&viewfull=1#post17239867) has now been reposted.

- - - Updated - - -

By all means. Provided, of course, we don't drown the newer players in old subplots. This seems like the perfect opportunity to let Moroe and Hajime shed some of their excess baggage...

I'll rework Hajime into an amnesiac who Moroe knows the past of. You can pick and choose what you want to bring over, I can roll with whatever you deal out for Hajime.

Will post him tonight or so, have class.

Tebryn
2014-04-02, 10:42 AM
I'm going to ask the mods about ifit would be okay.
That'll decide the use of it or not.

There's always the potential for those who want to use magic, such as myself, as making up a religion. The Rules only speak of Real World Religions. One made by the players should be fine so long as it skirts away from any real world stuff. I'd be interesting in joining if the above was an option.

Arkhosia
2014-04-02, 11:54 AM
There's always the potential for those who want to use magic, such as myself, as making up a religion. The Rules only speak of Real World Religions. One made by the players should be fine so long as it skirts away from any real world stuff. I'd be interesting in joining if the above was an option.

True.
The religions are mainly made up iirc, and it's easy to edit stuff!

Tebryn
2014-04-02, 01:41 PM
True.
The religions are mainly made up iirc, and it's easy to edit stuff!

I'm not to familiar with the source material, but I'd be happy to join up. If using a made up religion and magic is OK'd by the rest.

Arkhosia
2014-04-02, 03:23 PM
Almost done with my first PC: Shantelle La'Forette, Level 3 Silicokinetic.
She recently moved to Academy City, having been there for 3 months.

AnimeKid
2014-04-02, 03:36 PM
Heya Anyr, C'nor. I wasn't sure if I was going to see this ever be revived. Well I've got the two OC's that made the other game fun for me already on the waiting list. And this time they are going to be in it from the start.

Arkhosia
2014-04-02, 03:51 PM
Heya Anyr, C'nor. I wasn't sure if I was going to see this ever be revived. Well I've got the two OC's that made the other game fun for me already on the waiting list. And this time they are going to be in it from the start.

Wanna have a PC of yours meet Shantelle?

AnimeKid
2014-04-02, 03:56 PM
Sure, probably Tobio. They seem like they would get along well.

Arkhosia
2014-04-02, 04:00 PM
Sure, probably Tobio. They seem like they would get along well.

You post first!

Anyr
2014-04-02, 04:05 PM

Ah, regreetings. Now that you're here, I'll see about transferring Kin as well.

I'm not to familiar with the source material, but I'd be happy to join up. If using a made up religion and magic is OK'd by the rest.

I've got no real objection to the inclusion of magic. New game, new rules. A word of warning, though: Mages are less newbie-friendly than Espers. It really helps to be familiar with the Toaruverse when making one.

AnimeKid
2014-04-02, 05:10 PM
You post first!

We should probably wait until we have a decent sized cast of characters Ark. After all it's not much of an FFRP if it's just the two of us. The thread was only started yesterday. Give it some time, and we should try to figure out at least slightest semblance of a plot right?

Arkhosia
2014-04-02, 05:16 PM
We should probably wait until we have a decent sized cast of characters Ark. After all it's not much of an FFRP if it's just the two of us. The thread was only started yesterday. Give it some time, and we should try to figure out at least slightest semblance of a plot right?

Alright.
So, anyone want to be in charge of a plot?

Tebryn
2014-04-02, 05:27 PM
I've got no real objection to the inclusion of magic. New game, new rules. A word of warning, though: Mages are less newbie-friendly than Espers. It really helps to be familiar with the Toaruverse when making one.

I've done some reading on the Wiki. If there's anywhere else I can get some good info I'd happily check it out.

I'll give this a crack though.

Apotheosis: Building a Better Tomorrow Today

On it's civillian front, Apotheosis is one of the leading bio-medical research companies and suppliers of innovative medical technologies around the world. Based from Academy City., Apotheosis has aggressively pursued an open and friendly public image with various donations to local hospitals and an open work program for anyone who wishes to apply. This has led to whispers from competitors and compatriots alike that the squeaky clean image is a front for nefarious deeds ranging from organ harvesting to massive money laundering schemes. Despite these whispers little has stuck to the company in terms of black marks and that, some say, is the strangest and most disconcerting thing of all. The whispers are of course correct though few could guess the true aims and secrets of the almost rapidly public company. Beneath the civilian front lies a cabal of desperate and powerful people ready and eager to throw all the money, political clout and resources controlling one of the largest companies in the world at any and every problem they encounter permits. These men and women control the real Apotheosis, a fanatical religious organization with a single goal. Create God. In a world where the strong rule over the weak and answers to even the most basic questions remain silent, the progenitors of Apotheosis set to give voice to those not able to speak for themselves. What started, perhaps, as a noble goal however has become twisted in the hands of the very people the organization was once made to protect. Bloated by decadence and blinded by power, Apotheosis continues to pursue their centuries long agenda with the cruel and careless manner a bored toddler smashes down ant hills.

Arkhosia
2014-04-02, 05:37 PM
Seems very interesting!
And Animekid, just to point out now that I think of it: School just ended, so the two could run into each other when leaving or something like that,

Anyr
2014-04-02, 05:53 PM
I've done some reading on the Wiki. If there's anywhere else I can get some good info I'd happily check it out.

Maybe I should write up a guide to Toaruverse magic for the OP. Nothing verbose, mind; Just a short list of essentials for those looking to make a Mage.

Tebryn
2014-04-02, 06:06 PM
Maybe I should write up a guide to Toaruverse magic for the OP. Nothing verbose, mind; Just a short list of essentials for those looking to make a Mage.

Might help. I think I got the jist from the Wiki but it wouldn't hurt.

Arkhosia
2014-04-02, 06:13 PM
Actually, I'm going to probably have Shanelle just arrive at Academy City.
She's level 2 at this point

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone wants to RP, whether it be as your PC, a random character you just came up with just because you're bored, or even a character you just made up to try out FFRP, i posted for Shanelle.

Anyr
2014-04-02, 06:46 PM
Actually, I'm going to probably have Shanelle just arrive at Academy City.
She's level 2 at this point

Do you mean that she already had her ability before arriving? That's incredibly rare. The vast majority of Espers (no matter how strong) gain their powers artificially, via Academy City's Power Curriculum Program. The vanishingly few exceptions to this rule are known as 'Gemstones'; And they tend to lead very complicated lives.

Arkhosia
2014-04-02, 06:49 PM
Do you mean that she already had her ability before arriving? That's incredibly rare. The vast majority of Espers (no matter how strong) gain their powers artificially, via Academy City's Power Curriculum Program. The vanishingly few exceptions to this rule are known as 'Gemstones'; And they tend to lead very complicated lives.

I remembered this, and decided not to have that be.

- - - Updated - - -

So, what do we want to set rules against? Any particular things you don't want a power to be, any limits to how dark you want this game to get, etc?

Lady Serpentine
2014-04-02, 07:40 PM

That'd be me. I mentioned wanting to see it back, and, well... Here we are.

And it certainly is. I'm bringing back all my old people. Though I don't know how long Kasai will be around, thinking about it, since most of her plot stuff is gone now.

And good to see you again.

Hey~! ^_^

I'm here now. I'll write up the backstory and such for my character later.

Oh, hello! Good to see you here.

Fine with me,

Heh, well, I suppose if Tobio's here that does make it a bit a easier for Kasai to stick about. Welcome back.

Ark, I think that 'how dark' is 'what, are we limiting that now?', personally, seeing as the last game had all sorts of dark happenings; tends to occur when half the characters are part of Academy City's dark side.

And I think that the power guidelines from last time worked pretty well, though obviously we'll need a new set for mages.

Arkhosia
2014-04-02, 07:42 PM
Well in my defense, I only read the rules previously used on the OP, none of the actual IC stuff.

Lady Serpentine
2014-04-02, 07:52 PM
No worries, it went for two threads, I didn't expect you to have. Just clarifying for you.

Arkhosia
2014-04-02, 07:59 PM
No worries, it went for two threads, I didn't expect you to have. Just clarifying for you.

It's okay! Just wanted to says so.

Hazuki
2014-04-02, 11:29 PM
Heya. This looks interesting, so I've made a character and Imma post it in the Registry in...exactly one minute. I had to wing the power level a bit, but hopefully there won't be any problems.

Arkhosia
2014-04-02, 11:31 PM
Heya. This looks interesting, so I've made a character and Imma post it in the Registry in...exactly one minute. I had to wing the power level a bit, but hopefully there won't be any problems.

Hello!
Can't wait to see it!

- - - Updated - - -

[She wields a mop, huh?
http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/ee/7f/1350061174_8328_cb.jpg?itok=It6hhYyn

Hazuki
2014-04-02, 11:44 PM
Yes, she wields a mop. I'm hoping for a duel against somebody wielding a broom.

Anyr
2014-04-03, 07:20 AM
Name: Mop
Type: Mage
Power Level: Comparatively Level 4.
Affiliation: President of the Janitor's Union. And Vice-President. And Secretary.

Personality: Mop is a generally laidback young woman, who does her job like she's supposed to and without much complaint, except for when she's joking around. This, despite the fact that she's under heavy cover as just a regular girl working as a janitor at random places all over the city, and that most magicians seek their goal with the kind of dedication that could try to tear down gods. She has that same dedication...it simply manifests in the relaxed attitude she generally has.

She has a few goals in life. One is making other people feel better about themselves and the world around them, through the reflection and depths that her magic is focused around. Another is just letting each day go by, fitting together little pieces of her own puzzle; because she doesn't know where she came from. Her memories are present, but scarce, and it leads up to the mystery of who she is. She lacks even a cabal. And she hopes that, by picking up little pieces of information, even utterly irrelevant ones, she can somehow piece her identity together.

Outside of her work and her duty...Mop doesn't have much of a life. When she's not working as a janitor, she's spending time with one of the people who she's trying to help, and will generally accommodate to most activities. Thus far, she hasn't discovered something that can make her truly angry. And she hopes never to find out what it is.

Appearance: Mop is a young woman of a height that's slighter than average, along with decently toned muscles on a skinny frame. Her emerald eyes lend a certain mystical quality to her, as does her red hair, which is far too often ungroomed and tucked behind her head with a bandana. Doing it up pretty would just mean it gets ruined by cobwebs and the like. The drab bandana is complimented by the thick sweaters she frequently wears, along with worn-down jeans and tough sneakers that have been through a hard time. A satchel is often hanging at her waist, along with a belt filled with various janitorial tools, and a necklace that holds her keys.

When she's not in her work-clothes, she wears a similar outfit, though a little less obviously meant to withstand wear, and lets her hair down, tucked back with a simple pin, and topped with a stylish hat she picked up somewhere. Nail polish, though sometimes a hassle, is actually something that can strengthen and protect her fingernails, so she wears it quite often.

As with many things about her, Mop has an unimposing mien. Her movements don't take control of a room, even with the enchantment placed on herself to avoid notice, and her body language can be described as relaxed at best and lazy at worst. Her voice is velvet-smooth, and accompanied by a tone of voice so calmly confident that one might think it really is okay to chill out in the branches of a park tree.

Abilities: Mop's magic, as opposed to the religious or mythological symbols used by some, is focused around the concepts of reflections, dimensions, and portals. This is most commonly used to travel or see through to places that she's not meant to be, simply because it's a relatively inoffensive use of her abilities and is unlikely to cause trouble or draw attention to herself. It can also be used to hide inside reflections, if she chooses not to go all the way through.

However, there are a few other abilities she displays. A particularly troublesome one is the ability to create reflections of herself, which can be used for a variety of reasons from aiding in the off chance that she encounters combat, being able to talk to two people at the same time, or just testing how dangerous something will be by sending a mirror duplicate of herself into it. The ritual required to summon a duplicate of herself is quite taxing, however, and the duplicate is unable to use any magic itself due to the complete lack of mana it possesses.

Among her more minor tricks, Mop can use a sample of an area, or indeed person, and, through a ritual, use it to make herself less noticeable. People can still see her, but, as far as they're concerned, she's somebody else's problem. She has a knack for allowing people to reflect on themselves, and the world around them, for good or ill. And a less-used ritual of hers is used by taking some form of lens and imbuing it with the ability to detect when other dimensions are at play, which frustratingly includes AIM Dispersion Fields.

Mop is skilled in Okinawan kobudō, as some way to affect the world instead of simply watching it as she normally does, which her magic is never used for. It is the only ability that a mirror duplicate can use, and is almost always used with the mop that she carries around with her everywhere. Which is relatively unremarkable, save for being surprisingly hardy and balanced for what's a simple janitorial tool.

Physical Traits

Athletic: Mop is a fairly athletic young woman with a decent degree of strength and agility, mostly owing to having to walk around all day, climb up to the hard-to-reach places to clean and maintain them, as well as being the sole person responsible for carrying all of her equipment around.

Striking Looks: Despite her general homeliness made necessary by her job, Mop has a certain something about her looks that appeals to people when she wants them to see her. Whether it's the eyes, the rogueish smile, or just her pose, people don't tend to turn their backs on her.

Mental Traits

Perceptive: Mop has an uncanny knack for telling when something's off in a situation, and finding the little things that few others can. Whether it's the bruised knuckle of a teacher caught fighting earlier, the little cranny in a tree stump that hides a shiny penny, or the facial twitch of an emotionally disturbed civilian, she has a bad habit of noticing it.

Compassion: Mop likes to use her abilities to help people, for the most part. Never many at once, because she can't fix all the problems in the world, but sometimes she chooses a special somebody to help out in life. As their personal dirt-covered guardian angel, like the janitors in Hollywood who always seem to show up right before the big game to give an inspiring speech to the down-on-their-luck sportsman.

Cowardice: Mop's policy on non-intervention isn't just because she has an aversion to getting mixed up in politics. She fears the worst in any situation that she gets involved in too heavily, whether it's ruining the lives of others or ending up with bad attention focused on herself. As long as everything goes at a steady pace, she can handle it. Anything beyond that is asking too much.

Notable Equipment

Brass Doorknob: This magical item of Mop's own creation is used as the focus for her signature spell. When held in the air and twisted by her hand, it opens a doorway to any viable target area, which must either be a doorway or portal of some kind, or some form of reflection. No matter how small the destination object is, it allows her to fit through and get to where she needs to go. It is kept tucked into her bra most of the time.

The Mop: It's used to clean surfaces.

Glasses: Modified to detect dimensional anomalies.

Greetings and welcome. Right, that's that out of the way. Onto the customary grilling:

Mop's travel ability seems rather wide in scope, considering its power. In canon, magical teleportation tends to be much more limited. A good example would be the '47 portals of Japan': Which only allows travel between 47 specific places, requires a complex ritual, and can only be used at certain times of day. With that in mind, would you consider toning down Mop's flexibility a bit? Maybe by limiting her range of destinations?

Aside from that minor issue, Mop looks fine to me.

Hazuki
2014-04-03, 09:02 AM
Heya. And that grilling is no problem; I honestly expected it to be worse.

I would be fine with altering her teleportation. Perhaps making it so the Doorknob has to be attuned to a place before it can be an accessible door, for anything long-range?

Anyr
2014-04-03, 10:02 AM
Heya. And that grilling is no problem; I honestly expected it to be worse.

I would be fine with altering her teleportation. Perhaps making it so the Doorknob has to be attuned to a place before it can be an accessible door, for anything long-range?

Yes, that sounds reasonable.

Hazuki
2014-04-03, 10:11 AM
Alrighty, done and done.

ImpSyndrome
2014-04-03, 11:17 AM
I'm inclined to join up, being a fan of psychic powers and such, but since I know nothing about the scenario, I'd like to ask a couple questions first.

1. How is an ESPer's power level determined? Can an ESPer gain/lose levels, or is it a set level from the moment of their introduction?
2. What types of psychic powers are we talking about? Are certain abilities, like telepathy or psychokinesis, more common than others?
3. What're the typical age groups for PCs? It looks like this is a school-oriented scenario, so I'm assuming that students would be anywhere from early to late teens, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
4. Can we create instructors instead of just students, or would that just be too complicated? If we can, how widely would they differ from students in terms of relative ability, knowledge, experience, etc.?
5. Are characters limited to Japanese nationality (assumed by the names of the schools and such), or can we have students from foreign lands?

Sorry that there are so many questions, but like I said, I know nothing about Railgun but would love to learn more so I could potentially join up.

Anyr
2014-04-03, 12:08 PM
1. How is an ESPer's power level determined? Can an ESPer gain/lose levels, or is it a set level from the moment of their introduction?

An Esper's maximum level is genetic. Most Espers start at level 0, and work their way up through intense training. They can indeed gain and lose levels over time.

2. What types of psychic powers are we talking about? Are certain abilities, like telepathy or psychokinesis, more common than others?

The range of powers seen in canon is extremely vast. Examples include 'Keep handheld objects at a constant temperature'; 'Appear directly behind people'; 'Possess puppets made of slime'; And 'create a new form of matter which defies the laws of physics'. If there's a limit to possible Esper abilities, it's yet to be shown.

3. What're the typical age groups for PCs? It looks like this is a school-oriented scenario, so I'm assuming that students would be anywhere from early to late teens, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

You're correct. The average PC age is around 15.

4. Can we create instructors instead of just students, or would that just be too complicated? If we can, how widely would they differ from students in terms of relative ability, knowledge, experience, etc.?

Adult PCs are perfectly fine. You're free to create a teacher, Anti-Skill member, etc. Keep in mind that almost no adults possess an Esper ability; And that Academy City loves creating teenage combat monsters. As such, while older characters may possess more experience and resources, the city's strongest fighters are mostly still in school.

5. Are characters limited to Japanese nationality (assumed by the names of the schools and such), or can we have students from foreign lands?

Though the majority of Academy City's inhabitants are Japanese, there are plenty of foreigners as well. PCs can be whatever nationality you so desire.

Sorry that there are so many questions, but like I said, I know nothing about Railgun but would love to learn more so I could potentially join up.

No need to apologise. By all means, ask away.

ImpSyndrome
2014-04-03, 12:48 PM
OK, thanks a ton for the information! I'm working on a character profile right now. One question I didn't think to ask before was about the tech level: aside from the afore-mentioned child weapon horrors and such, is the standard tech level similar to current reality, or is it ahead/behind at all?

Anyr
2014-04-03, 01:03 PM
OK, thanks a ton for the information! I'm working on a character profile right now. One question I didn't think to ask before was about the tech level: aside from the afore-mentioned child weapon horrors and such, is the standard tech level similar to current reality, or is it ahead/behind at all?

Academy City's technology is about 30 years ahead of ours. The rest of the world is at RL levels.

Arkhosia
2014-04-03, 02:35 PM
Hey terry, what is the onizuka school uniform?
Also, may have Shanelle be attending there.

And please tell me the principal's title is Great Teacher. :smallwink:

Terry576
2014-04-03, 02:38 PM
I'd recommend attending Tokiwadai or something if your character is smart and above a level 3 (as well as a girl).

Onizuka is the generic school for 'everyone else'. They aren't smart enough or high enough level to go to Azubu or Tokiwadai, and it's just a general school in District 13. The uniform is practically whatever you feel like wearing, although its mainly accepted to be a collared white shirt, slacks, and decent shoes.

Arkhosia
2014-04-03, 02:42 PM
I'd recommend attending Tokiwadai or something if your character is smart and above a level 3 (as well as a girl).

Onizuka is the generic school for 'everyone else'. They aren't smart enough or high enough level to go to Azubu or Tokiwadai, and it's just a general school in District 13. The uniform is practically whatever you feel like wearing, although its mainly accepted to be a collared white shirt, slacks, and decent shoes.

But... But... The namesake... :smalltongue:
I was thinking it could be a "Not enough monies!" Thing.

Terry576
2014-04-03, 02:50 PM
Tokiwadai is very prestigious, and allows anyone above a level 3 to attend, as long as they are intelligent. Onizuka has very little to do with Great Teacher Onizuka, and is more because oni-tsuka literally means 'demon hill', and the majority of the attendees in canon of Onizuka are so used to unordinary things happening that they instead complain about things like getting let out of class late because of a bomb threat.

Arkhosia
2014-04-03, 03:02 PM
Tokiwadai is very prestigious, and allows anyone above a level 3 to attend, as long as they are intelligent. Onizuka has very little to do with Great Teacher Onizuka, and is more because oni-tsuka literally means 'demon hill', and the majority of the attendees in canon of Onizuka are so used to unordinary things happening that they instead complain about things like getting let out of class late because of a bomb threat.

Ohhhhhh.
Wait, it's an actual school in the anime/manga?:smallconfused:

ImpSyndrome
2014-04-03, 03:03 PM
So what would constitute power level 3 for someone who uses PK, then? I'm trying to get a feel for how exactly the power scale is set up, but with so few characters set up so far, I'm not sure where my PC would fit in...

Anyr
2014-04-03, 03:07 PM
Tokiwadai is very prestigious, and allows anyone above a level 3 to attend...

The 'level 3+' rule actually got dropped partway through the last game. Apparently it was causing more harm than good.

Arkhosia
2014-04-03, 03:09 PM
Hey Terry, any chance that your PC could meet Shanelle?

ImpSyndrome
2014-04-03, 03:18 PM
OK, got a partly-complete draft finished on the registry thread. Could someone take a look and let me know if there are any big problems so far? It can be found by clicking here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17246939&postcount=7)

Arkhosia
2014-04-03, 03:21 PM
Tokiwadai's all girls and no espers are able to use their powers without training.

Anyr
2014-04-03, 03:27 PM
...no espers are able to use their powers without training.

To expand on this point: Academy City isn't a place where Espers get sent in order to train their psychic power. It's a place where ordinary people go in order to get a power. For Elijah to already possess an ability before going there, he'd have to be a 'Gemstone': An extremely rare breed of natural Esper, who are highly prized by scientific institutions.

ImpSyndrome
2014-04-03, 03:28 PM
OK, the first thing I can understand as an issue. I guess that means he'll be at Onizuka, since it seems like Azubu might be above his level. But how do any students know to go to these schools if they don't awaken to their powers until after they start their training?

EDIT: Got post ninja'd (or whatever you cool kids call it). OK, now that makes sense...although it makes me wonder why Eli would go there in the first place. I'll have to come up with some other reason...

EDIT2: OK, pretty sure I fixed that stuff. Now I need to figure out why Eli's going to be in Academy City and what his powers will be. Before that, though, does a character receive an ability that they choose or that is chosen for them, or do they unlock some kind of innate potential that grants them a power suited to them?

Anyr
2014-04-03, 03:42 PM
OK, pretty sure I fixed that stuff. Now I need to figure out why Eli's going to be in Academy City and what his powers will be. Before that, though, does a character receive an ability that they choose or that is chosen for them, or do they unlock some kind of innate potential that grants them a power suited to them?

Powers are genetic. A person's ability is fixed from birth, whether they unlock it or not. The scientists of Academy City can actually tell in advance what a person's power is going to be, along with their maximum potential; Although that's a closely guarded secret. For the sake of PR, they continue to perpetuate the story that 'anyone can become a great Esper if they work hard enough'. In reality, only a rare few among the hopeful masses will ever see results from the Power Curriculum Program.

Arkhosia
2014-04-03, 03:45 PM
Anyone up for PC interaction?

Hazuki
2014-04-03, 04:11 PM
Anyone up for PC interaction?Yo.

Or is this exchange still relevant?

Alright.
So, anyone want to be in charge of a plot?

ImpSyndrome
2014-04-03, 04:23 PM
Alright then, one last question before I start to fill in more details on Eli's profile: how quickly does an ESPer normally reach their peak performance level? Does it depend on the skill/effort of the ESPer, is there a certain point at which most of them usually hit their highest potential, or does it just last the length of their education in Academy City for the sake of plot continuity?

Arkhosia
2014-04-03, 04:24 PM
Yo.

Or is this exchange still relevant?

It's more of a "Let the PCs interact a bit first before Plot" thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, making some changes to the registry template

Hazuki
2014-04-03, 04:26 PM
It's more of a "Let the PCs interact a bit first before Plot" thing.Aye aye. Any ideas in mind? Or shall I just have Mop approach swagaliciously?

Arkhosia
2014-04-03, 04:29 PM
Aye aye. Any ideas in mind? Or shall I just have Mop approach swagaliciously?

The latter.

Anyr
2014-04-03, 04:39 PM
Alright then, one last question before I start to fill in more details on Eli's profile: how quickly does an ESPer normally reach their peak performance level? Does it depend on the skill/effort of the ESPer, is there a certain point at which most of them usually hit their highest potential, or does it just last the length of their education in Academy City for the sake of plot continuity?

In these games, that tends to be left to the individual player's discretion. We can't really stick to canon here, since RP time moves so slowly. Plus, even the series itself is a bit vague when it comes to this.

Arkhosia
2014-04-03, 04:42 PM
I finished adding stuff to the Template! :smallbiggrin:

Terry576
2014-04-03, 04:44 PM
Ohhhhhh.
Wait, it's an actual school in the anime/manga?:smallconfused:

Onizuka? It's Touma's school.

Morcleon
2014-04-03, 04:49 PM
*pokes Ark* How old did you want the Otosaki sisters to be?

Arkhosia
2014-04-03, 04:52 PM
*pokes Ark* How old did you want the Otosaki sisters to be?

14-16. Somewhere in that range, up to you.

Anyr
2014-04-03, 04:53 PM
Onizuka? It's Touma's school.

Oh, have they finally named it in canon? That's a shame. 'A Certain High School' had a nice ring to it.

Lady Serpentine
2014-04-03, 05:06 PM

You do leave out the main reasons to not want to, though. Those being that, A, Tokiwadai is incredibly strict about all aspects of its student's lives, including those outside of the environs of the school itself, and B, it is prestigious, but not always in a good way; everyone will recognize you and know you got in, but that doesn't mean they'll react well to you.

ImpSyndrome
2014-04-03, 05:08 PM
I'm filling out some more info on Eli's profile, and now I've got a new question. How does Azabu select its students from potential applicants? Are there certain requirements for ESP potential and/or school transcripts?

Anyr
2014-04-03, 05:15 PM
I'm filling out some more info on Eli's profile, and now I've got a new question. How does Azabu select its students from potential applicants? Are there certain requirements for ESP potential and/or school transcripts?

Here's Azabu's wiki entry from the previous game:

Azabu Academy is an all-male private school within Academy City. It is currently one of the top 5 schools of Academy City and is said to be one of the toughest schools to succeed in throughout the world. It is often in the news since it's over-stressed students are sometimes prone to lashing out at their surroundings, which can be devastating with it's large amount of esper students. Azabu is known for accepting any student who can pay the tutition fees, but also for it's large turn-over rate of students who drop-out. The students of Azabu are usually regarded by their fellow male students as 'some of the lucky bastards to walk the face of the earth', for getting to attend school in the appropriately named School Garden. Most girls tend to think of Azabu students as 'bishies-in-making', even if the reality can be far removed.

Student Demographics

Entry requirement to Azabu Academy is very simple, be able to afford it's tuition price and it would accept that person as a student, but despite this 'open' policy, the number of attending students fluctuates wildly. This is due in part to Azabu's strict teaching regime and draconian teachers who mercilessly push their students as hard as they can in pursuit of excellence. Unlike Tokiwadai or Onizuka, special treatment is not given to espers, merely more class options so they can choose to try and develop their powers more along with their education or in lieu of it. Because of this stressful learning environment, many students have breakdowns or chose to drop-out of Azabu, thus accounting for the wildly changing attendance record.
Campus

Campus

Azabu is located in the School Garden, an area inside Academy City's district 7 consisting of Tokiwadai and four other girl's schools, with a shopping area dedicated to the rich young teens. The school is fairly large, especially the main building which holds its classrooms and various gymnasiums, it also holds a track and field area and also a large swimming pool. The school also has a public showering area for those staying in it's dorms.

Azabu has two dormitories, one of them is outside of the School Garden where it shares a plot of land with Tokiwadai Middle Schoo and the other one which is in the School Garden where poorer students are given room and board. The separate dormitory is openly known as the more prestigious and comfortable of the two, having gained an almost legendary nature to those Azabu students in the dorm attached to the Academy.

By the way, Azabu isn't a canon school. It's was made by the previous game, in order to let male characters be part of the School Garden.

ImpSyndrome
2014-04-03, 05:34 PM
OK, got it. Onizuka it is for Eli, then.

One more question now: would it be OK to start Eli right before he's accepted into the school, or is the plot starting after acceptance and such occurs?

Anyr
2014-04-03, 05:39 PM
OK, got it. Onizuka it is for Eli, then.

One more question now: would it be OK to start Eli right before he's accepted into the school, or is the plot starting after acceptance and such occurs?

That's unlikely to be a problem. Remember, though, that (even with RP time compression) the Power Curriculum program requires some time to work. If you want Eli to already have his ability, he'll need to have been in the city for a while; Even if he wasn't in school.

Arkhosia
2014-04-03, 05:41 PM
Hey guys, can all of you edit your character registry posts to match the template and/or post your PCs if you haven't yet?

ImpSyndrome
2014-04-03, 05:42 PM
That's unlikely to be a problem. Remember, though, that (even with RP time compression) the Power Curriculum program requires some time to work. If you want Eli to already have his ability, he'll need to have been in the city for a while; Even if he wasn't in school.
OK, thanks for that. I was hoping to start him out before the start of term so I could play out the whole part where he finds out about his ESPer potential. Speaking of which...how exactly do students learn that they qualify for ESPer schooling? Do they get a letter, or is there some kind of interview, or what?

Also, cripes that's a lot of questions from me...Sorry to be such a bother, but thanks very much for helping me get caught up so far.

Anyr
2014-04-03, 05:46 PM
OK, thanks for that. I was hoping to start him out before the start of term so I could play out the whole part where he finds out about his ESPer potential. Speaking of which...how exactly do students learn that they qualify for ESPer schooling? Do they get a letter, or is there some kind of interview, or what?

Just attending a school in Academy City qualifies students for the Power Curriculum Program. For some, even the 'school' part isn't required. The administration is happy to have as many guinea pigs potential Espers as they can get.

Hazuki
2014-04-03, 05:48 PM
I'm confused by the Power Ranking part of the new template. The rankings are vague and seem superfluous, seeing as we already have a Power Level listed.

Lady Serpentine
2014-04-03, 05:51 PM
Same here. (Also, I would say that matching up the templates isn't a major concern as long as they make sense.)

Arkhosia
2014-04-03, 06:02 PM
I'm confused by the Power Ranking part of the new template. The rankings are vague and seem superfluous, seeing as we already have a Power Level listed.

They are how powerful in general, power level is for espers.
Think i'll use the Nexus one.

- - - Updated - - -

I fixed the ranking system!

Anyr
2014-04-03, 06:20 PM
For those seeking interaction near Onizuka, Moroe (presumably along with Hajime) is now in play.

Hazuki
2014-04-03, 06:21 PM
I've edited Mop's entry~ And added The Cane, as she can't carry around a mop with her all the time. No matter how much she might want to.

Arkhosia
2014-04-03, 06:45 PM
I decided to make Shanelle a very recent arrival (only a month and a half), so I can have fun with customs. :smallbiggrin:

Terry576
2014-04-03, 07:49 PM
Oh, have they finally named it in canon? That's a shame. 'A Certain High School' had a nice ring to it.

I lied, it was carry over from last game.

Sasuga me

Arkhosia
2014-04-03, 07:50 PM
I lied, it was carry over from last game.

Sasuga me

I still say the headmaster's title should be Grand Teacher.

Terry576
2014-04-03, 07:52 PM
Power Ranking doesn't really 'work' in the context of Railgun - a power that appears weak at first, can really be the strongest.

Touma's a level 0, after all. And he's one of the strongest characters in the entire setting; I'd rather not rank Hajime at all.

Also, they don't really give out 'titles' unless the person is pretty goddamn strong. "Great Teacher" would be a teacher who is somewhere in the range of 4 and above, or a student who has a mind control ability, and likes to be called 'teacher'.

Academy City isn't a nice place.

Arkhosia
2014-04-03, 07:56 PM
Power Ranking doesn't really 'work' in the context of Railgun - a power that appears weak at first, can really be the strongest.

Touma's a level 0, after all. And he's one of the strongest characters in the entire setting; I'd rather not rank Hajime at all.
Also, they don't really give out 'titles' unless the person is pretty goddamn strong. "Great Teacher" would be a teacher who is somewhere in the range of 4 and above, or a student who has a mind control ability, and likes to be called 'teacher'.

Academy City isn't a nice place.
That's why I wanna use power ranking
The power ranking factors in everything. esper power, weapon skills, physical prowess, etch.

Terry576
2014-04-03, 07:59 PM
And that's exactly why I don't want to use it. Power Ranking immediately gives away how talented a character is, and in an RP like Railgun I'd rather not immediately have how talented my PC OOC; I like to let that play out IC. There's already an Esper power ranking in place, and giving away that sort of information and dealing with "I should win because I'm a B and you're a C" is frustrating and silly.

E: In any case, according to the ranking chart, Touma is like a D. He has poor physical abilities, and the only reason he's so strong is because his power cancels out everything else.

Arkhosia
2014-04-03, 08:05 PM
And that's exactly why I don't want to use it. Power Ranking immediately gives away how talented a character is, and in an RP like Railgun I'd rather not immediately have how talented my PC OOC; I like to let that play out IC. There's already an Esper power ranking in place, and giving away that sort of information and dealing with "I should win because I'm a B and you're a C" is frustrating and silly.

E: In any case, according to the ranking chart, Touma is like a D. He has poor physical abilities, and the only reason he's so strong is because his power cancels out everything else.
Okay, I understand now.
Will remove it

Hazuki
2014-04-03, 08:08 PM
Obfuscating the power of characters can only make IC interactions more frustrating for the people involved. If somebody goes into a combat expecting their character to win, then somebody else pulls out the fact that they're actually extremely competent at combat, it's going to cause confusion at best, and lack of motivation from the former person at worst.

Unless, as in the rules, you organize the interaction beforehand and who's going to win what. In which case, the person will need to know what level of power your character has regardless. So why not put it in the sheet and make it simpler for everybody else?

Lady Serpentine
2014-04-03, 08:35 PM
Terry... You're hyperbolizing. None of the people here are going to say 'I should win because ranking'. They might call you on shenanigans, such as boosting the capabilities of your character to win (which not having a power ranking potentially makes much harder to detect, mind), but if you can come up with reasonable IC ways to avoid things, they won't object to that.

Ark, please, don't be so quick to change stuff. >.> The argument isn't at over yet, and having you change things in the middle isn't helpful at all. It implies the matter is now closed by 'Imperial decree', essentially, which isn't a good way to have things go, since it just builds resentment of the fact that things don't get properly settled, and leaves the matter open for people to keep bringing up even when nothing's changed.

Besides which, I was under the impression that if nothing else, I was partly running this too, rather than it being solely your domain, seeing as I was the one who suggested bringing it back in the first place, and if so, it would be nice to not have you unilaterally changing things...

Arkhosia
2014-04-03, 08:42 PM
Terry... You're hyperbolizing. None of the people here are going to say 'I should win because ranking'. They might call you on shenanigans, such as boosting the capabilities of your character to win (which not having a power ranking potentially makes much harder to detect, mind), but if you can come up with reasonable IC ways to avoid things, they won't object to that.

Ark, please, don't be so quick to change stuff. >.> The argument isn't at over yet, and having you change things in the middle isn't helpful at all. It implies the matter is now closed by 'Imperial decree', essentially, which isn't a good way to have things go, since it just builds resentment of the fact that things don't get properly settled, and leaves the matter open for people to keep bringing up even when nothing's changed.

Besides which, I was under the impression that if nothing else, I was partly running this too, rather than it being solely your domain, seeing as I was the one who suggested bringing it back in the first place, and if so, it would be nice to not have you unilaterally changing things...

Okay, debate BEGIN! :smalltongue:
Did not realize that. I felt though that you are a perfectly capable individual, so you are therefore officially co-runner

Lady Serpentine
2014-04-03, 08:44 PM
Did not realize that. I felt though that you are a perfectly capable individual, so you are therefore officially co-runner

Fair enough; thanks for clarifying, and makes sense. :smallsmile:

Anyr
2014-04-03, 08:49 PM

Can't we just run this democratically, as usual? Official leaders aren't really necessary in a freeform game.

Arkhosia
2014-04-03, 08:51 PM
Ooh, yeah, true.
Alright, I say then we vote on this.

Anyr
2014-04-03, 08:52 PM
Ooh, yeah, true.

A vote on whether to do things democratically? Hmm, nicely recursive. I like it.

Hazuki
2014-04-03, 08:52 PM
I vote for Elizabeth Swan.

Morcleon
2014-04-03, 08:55 PM
Ooh, yeah, true.

I say that we keep the power level rating, but purely as an OOC factor to help determine realistically how battles may turn out. While it won't be the absolute deciding factor (especially when ranks only differ by 0-1 levels), it can help players (OOC) avoid a battle with someone too far over their level if they don't want their character to be killed yet. This also prevents debates of "but I didn't know your character was that powerful!". :smallsmile:

Lady Serpentine
2014-04-03, 08:55 PM
Can't we just run this democratically, as usual? Official leaders aren't really necessary in a freeform game.

Aye, just that it does help to have people who can step in if things get out of hand and all. That was what I intended, really.

Anyway! I vote for cats. Lots of cats.

I say that we keep the power level rating, but purely as an OOC factor to help determine realistically how battles may turn out. While it won't be the absolute deciding factor (especially when ranks only differ by 0-1 levels), it can help players (OOC) avoid a battle with someone too far over their level if they don't want their character to be killed yet. This also prevents debates of "but I didn't know your character was that powerful!". :smallsmile:

Sounds like a good plan, Setsy. *nodnods*

Anyr
2014-04-03, 08:58 PM

Also, I think it should be purely optional. If a player doesn't want to use it, they (IMHO) shouldn't be pressured into doing so.

Arkhosia
2014-04-03, 08:59 PM
I vote Eren! There's no way that can backfire!
Hehe.
Vote for Power Ranking or not.

Morcleon
2014-04-03, 09:05 PM
Also, I think it should be purely optional. If a player doesn't want to use it, they (IMHO) shouldn't be pressured into doing so.

Well, it's not really for the player who's putting the rating down. It's more for other players so they can know how best to respond to actions taken by that character. A rank A lunging with a sword is a lot different from a rank D doing the same.

Lady Serpentine
2014-04-03, 09:08 PM
To some extent, anyhow. Obviously it'll depend on whether they're an A rank for swordiness or not. :smalltongue:

Tebryn
2014-04-03, 09:11 PM
Obfuscating the power of characters can only make IC interactions more frustrating for the people involved. If somebody goes into a combat expecting their character to win, then somebody else pulls out the fact that they're actually extremely competent at combat, it's going to cause confusion at best, and lack of motivation from the former person at worst.

Unless, as in the rules, you organize the interaction beforehand and who's going to win what. In which case, the person will need to know what level of power your character has regardless. So why not put it in the sheet and make it simpler for everybody else?

That is how things generally go, anyone involved in combat or such agree on the outcome even if they don't agree on how that comes about. Keeps it from getting into a measuring contest, if you get my drift.

Anyr
2014-04-03, 09:11 PM
Well, it's not really for the player who's putting the rating down. It's more for other players so they can know how best to respond to actions taken by that character. A rank A lunging with a sword is a lot different from a rank D doing the same.

Oh, I agree that PC power levels should be visible OOC; I just don't like the idea of doing so with a single letter. IMHO, something as complex as overall power should be conveyed by the entire sheet.

Hazuki
2014-04-03, 09:13 PM
To some extent, anyhow. Obviously it'll depend on whether they're an A rank for swordiness or not. :smalltongue:My rank is Double D. :smallcool: In my dreams. :smalltongue:

That is how things generally go, anyone involved in combat or such agree on the outcome even if they don't agree on how that comes about. Keeps it from getting into a measuring contest, if you get my drift.I know exactly what you mean. Such measuring contests are a pet peeve of mine.

Lady Serpentine
2014-04-03, 09:19 PM
That is how things generally go, anyone involved in combat or such agree on the outcome even if they don't agree on how that comes about. Keeps it from getting into a measuring contest, if you get my drift.

To some extent, anyhow. Sometimes they just sorta happen; I don't agree that all combats have to have a predetermined outcome, seeing as things can easily change based on the exact circumstances, if one or both players are being clever about it.

Though I agree such contests tend to be ridiculous...

Oh, I agree that PC power levels should be visible OOC; I just don't like the idea of doing so with a single letter. IMHO, something as complex as overall power should be conveyed by the entire sheet.

It is a tricky balance, yes. I think the idea is to more have that be a shorthand and then work from there than that it'll be perfect?

Arkhosia
2014-04-03, 09:22 PM
My rank is Double D. :smallcool: In my dreams. :smalltongue:

I know exactly what you mean. Such measuring contests are a pet peeve of mine.

If your rank =double d, mine is jealousy. I'M A POET! :smalltongue:

Tebryn
2014-04-03, 09:32 PM
Name: Han Kyosuke
Sorcery Name: The Calamity
Type: Mage
Power Level: Saint
Affiliation: Apotheosis

Appearance: Kyosuke dresses much like any other high schooler, baggy cargo pants and a hoodie his general wear. He keeps his black hair swept back into a neat pony tail and his face clean shaven and one could almost call him nondescript if they're being unkind. Slight and short, Kyosuke could easily be called a nerd if not for his apparent love for track.

Personality: As a member of Apotheosis, Kyosuke keeps himself withdrawn from other children his age, observing his classmates for weakness and to compile information on any power users that the company may be interested in. He hides this calculating nature behind a facade of being your average withdrawn nerd. Kyosuke has been indoctrinated from an early age to follow Apotheosis's goals and ideals, his faith in the company and their mission unwavering.

Abilities: Kyosuke's spells mostly relay on elemental powers, focused on the creation and manipulation of intense forces of nature or so called "Acts of God" which cause unparalleled collateral damage. Kyosuke can summon torrents of water or molten rock from his focus, a telescoping staff crafted by the top minds at Apotheosis. Kyosuke is also cleared to utilize several artifacts from the Apotheosis Vaults, the most common a pair of Wind Fire Wheels that allow him to fly.

Physical Traits

Tough: Years of physical training and a generally difficult life have made Kyosuke hardy and difficult to put down.

Swift: Kyosuke is good at running away, fleet of foot and with substantial stamina.

Weak: Trained soley for his magical potential, Kyosuke is very much a stereotypical mage with little upper body strength.

Mental Traits

Cunning: Kyosuke has been trained from an early age to think on his feet and look for weakness where ever it lies, this has made him shrewd and calculating for better or worse.

Intelligent: Another product of his training and upbringing, Kyosuke is well read and educated in a wide array of topics well beyond his age.

Lady Serpentine
2014-04-03, 09:35 PM
I think a bit got eaten; if not for his...?

Arkhosia
2014-04-03, 09:35 PM
Tebyn, you are now in charge of the first plot arc.

Tebryn
2014-04-03, 09:37 PM
I think a bit got eaten; if not for his...?

Whoops, so it did. Hit the wrong button.

Lady Serpentine
2014-04-03, 09:40 PM
Tebyn, you are now in charge of the first plot arc.

Hey now! I demand some consideration here too. I'm still writing up my Mage, and she's got enough to keep her going for a while too. :smalltongue:

Also, what were we just discussing about democracy?

Also also, I think we should be a little more relaxed about having any sort of overarching plot than last time, since that did make things drag towards the end.

Tebryn
2014-04-03, 09:46 PM
Hey now! I demand some consideration here too. I'm still writing up my Mage, and she's got enough to keep her going for a while too. :smalltongue:

Also, what were we just discussing about democracy?

Also also, I think we should be a little more relaxed about having any sort of overarching plot than last time, since that did make things drag towards the end.

I'm a firm believer in that plots should begin and end, the characters involved should get something out of it and that the previous arcs should be weaved into the current. Instead of watching one long arc drag the entire story down. That's just me though. I'm also a firm believer in characters dying, not others if they're not down with it but just yeah know...airing it all out now I suppose. I've made a pretty clear antagonist and I am damn well certain he isn't going to be around for the whole story.

Anyr
2014-04-03, 09:54 PM
The main thing that worries me about Han is his high profile. He's the magical equivalent of a Level 5, and his spells are very conspicuous. Realistically, how long would Academy City allow such a person to walk within their walls?

Lady Serpentine
2014-04-03, 09:55 PM
Fair enough. He should definitely not be the first arc, though. He's too much, at present; most people wouldn't be able to do anything to him, and where would we go from there, anyway?

Arkhosia
2014-04-03, 09:55 PM
Plot Elections!

Plot Elections

People are given a week to create a plot idea, after which we vote for which plot to use.
The next plot is elected in exactly the same way, with the requirement of having a way to tie the previous plot in.

Sound like a good idea?

Morcleon
2014-04-03, 09:56 PM
The main thing that worries me about Han is his high profile. He's the magical equivalent of a Level 5, and his spells are very conspicuous. Realistically, how long would Academy City allow such a person to walk within their walls?

Depends on what he's shown his motives to be. If he's just living his life and helping along the city's goals, they'd probably just keep an eye on him like they do the Level 5 espers. If he's actively disrupting things and they know, he's not gonna be left unaccosted for long. :smalltongue:

Tebryn
2014-04-03, 09:57 PM
Fair enough. He should definitely not be the first arc, though. He's too much, at present; most people wouldn't be able to do anything to him, and where would we go from there, anyway?

I wasn't the one proposing Apotheosis being the first plot, I don't think it'd be appropriate either.

Hazuki
2014-04-03, 09:58 PM
Plot Elections!

Plot Elections

People are given a week to create a plot idea, after which we vote for which plot to use.
The next plot is elected in exactly the same way, with the requirement of having a way to tie the previous plot in.

Sound like a good idea?I approve of this. I hope we start off with a relatively low-key antagonist to begin with, so we have things to ramp up to later. If we start with the children of gods, there aren't many places to go after defeating them. Maybe we could go up the Divine family tree? All the way up to God's Great Grampappy!

Tebryn
2014-04-03, 09:59 PM

Sorry I missed this, I imagine he's just been "unleashed" in Academy City after what ever testing he's undergone though when you're a global company with as much influence and clout as Apotheosis is supposed to have, it shouldn't be that hard to cover up someone whose powers are similar to those of naturally occurring events. As for him staying in Academy City, I don't imagine long? He has to use them though, and I imagine that's a no go under anything but the most severe of circumstances. Hence why he has access to relics and the like.

Lady Serpentine
2014-04-03, 10:05 PM
I wasn't the one proposing Apotheosis being the first plot, I don't think it'd be appropriate either.

Aye, just pointing it out.

Also, Han's sorcery name's a bit strange...?

Canon information on them is this:

"...especially the modern magicians that were established in the tenth century will carve their wishes onto their souls. This is the magic name. Carving the reason why they want to learn magic or give up their entire lives for the one goal by writing it out it in Latin."

"Magicians carve that goal into themselves in Latin. These are known as magic names. Mine is Regnum771, and Mark over there’s is Armare091. The numbers on the end are to prevent duplicates."

I approve of this. I hope we start off with a relatively low-key antagonist to begin with, so we have things to ramp up to later. If we start with the children of gods, there aren't many places to go after defeating them. Maybe we could go up the Divine family tree? All the way up to God's Great Grampappy!

*giggles*

Heh. That would be amusing... Yes, agreed, though.

Tebryn
2014-04-03, 10:11 PM
Aye, just pointing it out.

Also, Han's sorcery name's a bit strange...?

Canon information on them is this:

"...especially the modern magicians that were established in the tenth century will carve their wishes onto their souls. This is the magic name. Carving the reason why they want to learn magic or give up their entire lives for the one goal by writing it out it in Latin."

"Magicians carve that goal into themselves in Latin. These are known as magic names. Mine is Regnum771, and Mark over there’s is Armare091. The numbers on the end are to prevent duplicates."

Naw, that fits. I read that too. I didn't add a number because it just felt...internet handle-y.

Lady Serpentine
2014-04-03, 10:18 PM
*peers at it*

'The Calamity' looks suspiciously like a phrase in English to me...? :smallconfused:

Tebryn
2014-04-03, 10:26 PM
*peers at it*

'The Calamity' looks suspiciously like a phrase in English to me...? :smallconfused:

I just didn't google calamity in Latin. If it's that big a deal I'll edit it. Also, calamity isn't a Latin word so there's not going to be a direct translation.

Lady Serpentine
2014-04-03, 10:33 PM
I honestly don't know if it's a big deal or not. *shrugs* Did make a point of it, though?

And 'calamitatis/calamitas' sure seems like a root for 'calamity'. :smalltongue:

Tebryn
2014-04-03, 10:37 PM
I honestly don't know if it's a big deal or not. *shrugs* Did make a point of it, though?

And 'calamitatis' sure seems like a root for 'calamity'. :smalltongue:

Huh, I thought it was from the Middle English Calamytey. That's what Merriam Webster says. That's all beside the point though. I'll change it if it's really super important. If not, chalk it up to it being because he's an Eastern Mage or something.

Survy
2014-04-03, 10:39 PM
Huh, I thought it was from the Middle English Calamytey. That's what Merriam Webster says. That's all beside the point though. I'll change it if it's really super important. If not, chalk it up to it being because he's an Eastern Mage or something.

Don't think it's a big deal really. Hell, Gremlin uses Norse names, so it doesn't really matter.

Tebryn
2014-04-03, 10:42 PM
Also, since it appears I am jumping into this, I will be away next weekend at PAX East. Won't have internet access from the 11th to the 14th.

Lady Serpentine
2014-04-03, 10:43 PM

Well, it is, but that's from french, and then that traces back to Latin.

Anyway, though. It's probably not? I mean, I have no idea if it is canonically or no. *shrugs* It doesn't seem to have come up, so for all we know it could either work just as well to carve random gibberish or it could be that it'll turn out to be some incredibly important plot point regarding a magical war way back in history and Latin is now all that works.

Survy
2014-04-03, 10:48 PM
Well, it is, but that's from french, and then that traces back to Latin.

Anyway, though. It's probably not? I mean, I have no idea if it is canonically or no. *shrugs* It doesn't seem to have come up, so for all we know it could either work just as well to carve random gibberish or it could be that it'll turn out to be some incredibly important plot point regarding a magical war way back in history and Latin is now all that works.

Eh, they very rarely come up anymore in-series. It's become alot more common for magicians to just directly name themselves after whatever they're imitating. Thor, Cendrillon, Vasilisa...

Lady Serpentine
2014-04-03, 10:57 PM
Heh. I suppose I'll have a cult of old-fashioned people looking to change everything, then. I find the irony amusing. :smalltongue:

ImpSyndrome
2014-04-04, 08:11 AM
Gave Eli's profile a few changes this morning; I think he's almost ready to put into action, but I'd like to get a second opinion on his profile before I start him out IC. Could someone please take a look (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17246939&postcount=7) and let me know if there are any glaring issues?

Anyr
2014-04-04, 08:26 AM
Gave Eli's profile a few changes this morning; I think he's almost ready to put into action, but I'd like to get a second opinion on his profile before I start him out IC. Could someone please take a look (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17246939&postcount=7) and let me know if there are any glaring issues?

He looks fine to me.

Hazuki
2014-04-04, 09:10 AM
Gave Eli's profile a few changes this morning; I think he's almost ready to put into action, but I'd like to get a second opinion on his profile before I start him out IC. Could someone please take a look (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17246939&postcount=7) and let me know if there are any glaring issues?Maybe it's just me, but I find Eli's combat skills a bit vague. They don't tell me how capable he is, is all.

ImpSyndrome
2014-04-04, 10:00 AM
They're left vague because, honestly, he doesn't have any polished skill. He can throw punches and kicks and can block, and he can swing a mean baseball bat, but he's not super-fast or super-strong, and he doesn't know any special techniques/forms or have any unusual combat talents...yet. He's only ranked E+/D- because he's been in a few fights with some other punk kids back home; he'd be plain old E otherwise. Does that make sense?

Hazuki
2014-04-04, 10:44 AM
Yep, it makes sense, but being vague doesn't tell me that he doesn't have much skill, y'know? Putting "somewhat capable" instead of "capable", for example, would be much clearer.

ImpSyndrome
2014-04-04, 10:59 AM
Yep, it makes sense, but being vague doesn't tell me that he doesn't have much skill, y'know? Putting "somewhat capable" instead of "capable", for example, would be much clearer.
Good point, that's fair. I'll go back in and add some detail.

EDIT: How ya like me now? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17246939&postcount=7)

Anyr
2014-04-04, 01:35 PM
Miura Kin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17239867&postcount=2) now has a full sheet in the registry.

Hazuki
2014-04-04, 01:39 PM
Miura Kin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17239867&postcount=2) now has a full sheet in the registry.Basket weaving is OP. Plz nerf.

Anyr
2014-04-04, 01:49 PM
Basket weaving is OP. Plz nerf.

Done. A thousand pardons for powergaming like that.

ImpSyndrome
2014-04-04, 02:57 PM
If no one has any objections to Eli's current build, I'm going to get him started in the IC thread. One question still remains (for now): where would students live when attending Onizuka? Is it a boarding school of some kind, or do kids walk or get shuttled in from outside locations, or is it "defender's choice", so to speak?

Arkhosia
2014-04-04, 03:00 PM
Almost done with Shantelle's sheet!
After I do so, gonna make a PC that attends Onizuka.

Anyr
2014-04-04, 03:04 PM
If no one has any objections to Eli's current build, I'm going to get him started in the IC thread. One question still remains (for now): where would students live when attending Onizuka? Is it a boarding school of some kind, or do kids walk or get shuttled in from outside locations, or is it "defender's choice", so to speak?

It provides student dorms, but they're not required. If a character has access to better accommodations, they're welcome to use them.

And if you're looking for interaction near Onizuka, Moroe and Hajime are just leaving.

Arkhosia
2014-04-04, 03:06 PM
Mind if my Onizuka PC meets the two or three later on?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, Hazuki, would it be okay for someone else to join the Mop and Shanelle scene if they want to?

ImpSyndrome
2014-04-04, 03:10 PM
OK, thanks very much. I'll try to get him started shortly. Would anyone want to bump into an ecstatic teenager who just found out that he's going to psychic school?

Oh crap, that raises another question...Is Academy City's reputation for training ESPers known worldwide, or is it really only local to Japan?

Anyr
2014-04-04, 03:12 PM
OK, thanks very much. I'll try to get him started shortly. Would anyone want to bump into an ecstatic teenager who just found out that he's going to psychic school?

I would. I was planning on having Moroe talk to Hajime for a while before setting her loose; But Terry seems to be in one of his busy phases at the moment.

Oh crap, that raises another question...Is Academy City's reputation for training ESPers known worldwide, or is it really only local to Japan?

Worldwide.

ImpSyndrome
2014-04-04, 03:16 PM
Alright, NOW I'm ready to get Eli started. Thanks again for all the help!

EDIT: Ugh...Not sure how the whole "application" and "acceptance" thing works for this setting...Anyone mind terribly if I just make something up?

Arkhosia
2014-04-04, 03:24 PM
Almost done! Just need to add equipment.

One of her traits is named "Notice Me Senpai!". :smallbiggrin:

Hazuki
2014-04-04, 03:24 PM
Also, Hazuki, would it be okay for someone else to join the Mop and Shanelle scene if they want to?I don't mind in the slightest.

Although, I would like to remind anyone joining them that Mop does have a perception-filter thing going on. So they're far more likely to notice the shy Shanelle, with Mop sort of being on the periphery of their vision.

Arkhosia
2014-04-04, 03:29 PM
Notice Me Senpai
Due to her appearance, quietness, and general shyness, Shantelle is easily unnoticeable.
Just fyi.:smalltongue:

Hazuki
2014-04-04, 03:33 PM
Mhmm. Magic happens to be more powerful social anxiety, though.

Arkhosia
2014-04-04, 03:42 PM
Still.
Also, new PC: Miria "Scarlett" Amaratsu.
Level 2 esper.
She can control paint of any form and shift it's state (solid or liquid), but currently can only control red paint, and in small amounts. She mainly coats people with paint and hardens it.
She also has basic soldier training due to darker upbringing, and is never without her trusty 9mm and a few extra clips.
Did I mention she's only 13?

Hazuki
2014-04-04, 03:45 PM
Huh. How does she handle the recoil?

ImpSyndrome
2014-04-04, 03:48 PM
...Crap, I just realized that the IC thread starts in the middle of a term. Going to need to find some other way to introduce Eli...Man, this is almost more trouble than it's worth.

Anyr
2014-04-04, 03:59 PM
...Crap, I just realized that the IC thread starts in the middle of a term. Going to need to find some other way to introduce Eli...Man, this is almost more trouble than it's worth.

It's fine; Just make him a late transfer or something. Little details like that can be safely ignored if they're getting in the way of a good story.

Arkhosia
2014-04-04, 04:08 PM
Huh. How does she handle the recoil?

Not well. :smalltongue:
Anyone playing students at Onizuka want to have their student be friends with Scarlett?
Also, Shantelle has a reputation among her peers as "odd" due to her customs and lack of knowledge on Japanese customs.

Anyr
2014-04-04, 04:14 PM
Still.
Also, new PC: Miria "Scarlett" Amaratsu.
Level 2 esper.
She can control paint of any form and shift it's state (solid or liquid), but currently can only control red paint, and in small amounts. She mainly coats people with paint and hardens it.
She also has basic soldier training due to darker upbringing, and is never without her trusty 9mm and a few extra clips.
Did I mention she's only 13?

How did she get a firearm in Academy City? Also, how does she carry it around all the time without getting caught? Even members of the dark side like Moroe have to be cautious in that regard.

ImpSyndrome
2014-04-04, 04:17 PM
OK, it's really short by my usual standards, but Eli is now in play. I just hope I left enough room for someone to work with me on this...

Arkhosia
2014-04-04, 04:31 PM
How did she get a firearm in Academy City? Also, how does she carry it around all the time without getting caught? Even members of the dark side like Moroe have to be cautious in that regard.

Her mom gave it to her.
She doesn't, then. She keeps it safely hidden at home.

Hazuki
2014-04-04, 04:33 PM
There is something amusing about a city where hormone-ridden teenagers are allowed to wield bone-shattering psychic powers, but not guns.

Anyr
2014-04-04, 04:34 PM
Her mom gave it to her.
She doesn't, then. She keeps it safely hidden at home.

How did her mom get it? Academy City are very strict about that sort of thing.

Arkhosia
2014-04-04, 04:35 PM
How did her mom get it? Academy City are very strict about that sort of thing.

Working on that.
Any ideas?

Anyr
2014-04-04, 04:44 PM
Working on that.
Any ideas?

Er, maybe she's a member of Anti-Skill? Or has good black market connections? Either way, she's taking a serious risk by giving her daughter a gun. Skill-Out delinquents take the risk of carrying guns because, in their eyes, they've got nothing to lose. Stable, law-abiding families, on the other hand, stand to lose quite a bit.

Arkhosia
2014-04-04, 04:49 PM
Er, maybe she's a member of Anti-Skill? Or has good black market connections? Either way, she's taking a serious risk by giving her daughter a gun. Skill-Out delinquents take the risk of carrying guns because, in their eyes, they've got nothing to lose. Stable, law-abiding families, on the other hand, stand to lose quite a bit.

Anti skill sounds good.
They don't exactly live in the safest neighborhood.

The Alexandrian
2014-04-04, 04:57 PM
I'a John Steinbeck! I'a Sir Conan Doyle!

*Summons idea fairy.*

Actually...

This is the perfect time to declare my intent to participate in this rp. I haven't watched any anime series or read any manga (unless you consider the practically ancient Pokemon comics about Red manga), but from what I've read, this game doesn't seem as anime/manga heavy as some of the other games I've read of. The setting seems intriguing as do the chars I've read of. It certainly seems like a better setting than the Nexus in which to create a type of char that I've always wanted to rp.

Essentially, I'm considering rping a freerunner/student/ESPer who possesses the not so world-shatteringly awesome power of being able to disable electricity powered objects in her general vicinity, more often than not by accident. She could transport illicit items within the city without being monitored by cameras and such as a smuggler-esque character, which might allow chars to have access to hardware that they might not be able to have access to otherwise.

Thoughts?

Arkhosia
2014-04-04, 04:59 PM

*Summons idea fairy.*

Actually...

This is the perfect time to declare my intent to participate in this rp. I haven't watched any anime series or read any manga (unless you consider the practically ancient Pokemon comics about Red manga), but from what I've read, this game doesn't seem as anime/manga heavy as some of the other games I've read of. The setting seems intriguing as do the chars I've read of. It certainly seems like a better setting than the Nexus in which to create a type of char that I've always wanted to rp.

Essentially, I'm considering rping a freerunner/student/ESPer who possesses the not so world-shatteringly awesome power of being able to disable electricity powered objects in her general vicinity, more often than not by accident. She could transport illicit items within the city without being monitored by cameras and such as a smuggler-esque character, which might allow chars to have access to hardware that they might not be able to have access to otherwise.

Thoughts?

Alexandrian! *tackle-hugs*

That sounds like a very interesting idea. I like it.

ImpSyndrome
2014-04-04, 05:06 PM
Erm...Was Moroe speaking in English or in Japanese just now?

Anyr
2014-04-04, 05:08 PM

Japanese. English speech usually gets [put in special brackets].

Arkhosia
2014-04-04, 05:09 PM

Just so you know, Scarlett only speaks Japanese.

Anyr
2014-04-04, 05:10 PM

*Summons idea fairy.*

Actually...

Thoughts?

Greetings and welcome. The power itself seems perfectly fine; Although I'm not sure how effective it would be for smuggling. After all, the authorities are bound to notice if their security devices start going dark. In canon, the cameras usually get hacked instead, so that they still seem to be working.

AnimeKid
2014-04-04, 05:15 PM
Hey guys, sorry about disappearing for a bit. Had to get some stuff in order. Anyways, I would be cool with Tobio being friends with Scarlett. She would have to get used to the near constant blush he would have around her though.

Also, Anry. Do you want Kin and Tsubasa to know each other already or get reaquainted in the RP?

Arkhosia
2014-04-04, 05:20 PM
Hey guys, sorry about disappearing for a bit. Had to get some stuff in order. Anyways, I would be cool with Tobio being friends with Scarlett. She would have to get used to the near constant blush he would have around her though.

Also, Anry. Do you want Kin and Tsubasa to know each other already or get reaquainted in the RP?

Yay!
Scarlett likes exploring the city and making art.
Maybe the two like exploring together (or Tobio just accompanies her out of attraction (if he is attracted to her))?

Anyr
2014-04-04, 05:22 PM

It's probably be easier to have them already know each other. No sense in retreading ground from the last RP.

AnimeKid
2014-04-04, 05:28 PM
Yay!
Scarlett likes exploring the city and making art.
Maybe the two like exploring together (or Tobio just accompanies her out of attraction (if he is attracted to her))?

That can work, exploring would give Tobio good practice for his skating skills. As for the attraction part, attaction is...a tricky thing for Tobio.
He would feel attracted to her in the passive sense with her looks. However when Tobio grows more deeply attracted, or just gets to know a person better he begins to feel more comfortable around them. So for now, it would probably be just a passive attraction. She is a very pretty girl and he knows it, but he isn't putting any sort of moves on her.

It's probably be easier to have them already know each other. No sense in retreading ground from the last RP.

Okay then Anyr. So would Tsubasa heading over to Tokiwadai to pick up Kin and head to their usual sweet eating hangout work for an opening post for them?

Anyr
2014-04-04, 05:31 PM
Okay then Anyr. So would Tsubasa heading over to Tokiwadai to pick up Kin and head to their usual sweet eating hangout work for an opening post for them?

Certainly.

The Alexandrian
2014-04-04, 05:46 PM
Hmm...

I never considered that.

I guess that my question is how would the powers that be deal with said situation? Aside from posting guards atop every roof in the city, there doesn't appear to be a very simple process through which this power could be countered. If she ran the same route every night at the same time, would they yell at her for breaking their cameras and spy on her every night or would they only yell at her and spy on her for the first few nights before adjusting to her extremely convenient inability to control her powers and love of running about on rooftops?

Anyr
2014-04-04, 05:55 PM
Hmm...

I never considered that.

I guess that my question is how would the powers that be deal with said situation? Aside from posting guards atop every roof in the city, there doesn't appear to be a very simple process through which this power could be countered. If she ran the same route every night at the same time, would they yell at her for breaking their cameras and spy on her every night or would they only yell at her and spy on her for the first few nights before adjusting to her extremely convenient inability to control her powers and love of running about on rooftops?

They likely wouldn't need to chase her down. They'd just identify her with one of the spy satellites which constantly watch the city; Then pay her a visit at home.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, Alexandrian: How about making your character invisible to electronic devices? You could still keep the disabling function as well, by making the power a more general one.

The Alexandrian
2014-04-04, 07:00 PM
Yesh! The criminal element just doesn't get any breaks in this setting, does it? It might be better (and more lucrative) to work as a courier in the city, carrying information from Point A to Point B that is too sensitive for the sender to email or mail to the recipient. It's not smuggling, but it doesn't allow criminals/the authorities to spy on the information that may be traded throughout the city.

The inclusion of electronic invisibility within the psi power could work as well. Maybe something along the lines of a she hates technology and technology hates her type of deal. She can't use tech because it just blows up in her face, and tech malfunctions if it merely captures her on film.

Survy
2014-04-04, 07:11 PM
Most criminals in AC at least deal with the human element instead of information. Human trafficking for example, and trying to get pieces of the Parameter List so you can grab powerful Espers before they level up. Generally speaking they don't last very long. They either get killed or start working for the city.

Information-wise, it's near impossible to hide anything from AC anyways. Underline, Spark Signal, and Crowley being near-omniscient and omniprescene make it so. If they don't know something, they're pretending not to know it.

Anyr
2014-04-04, 07:14 PM
Most criminals in AC at least deal with the human element instead of information. Human trafficking for example, and trying to get pieces of the Parameter List so you can grab powerful Espers before they level up. Generally speaking they don't last very long. They either get killed or start working for the city.

Information-wise, it's near impossible to hide anything from AC anyways. Underline, Spark Signal, and Crowley being near-omniscient and omniprescene make it so. If they don't know something, they're pretending not to know it.

Yes, most successful criminals in Academy City are either:

A) Too minor to be worth rounding up; Or

B) A pawn of some higher-up (whether they know it or not).

Hazuki
2014-04-04, 07:48 PM
Hrrm. Open question. Is Mop uninteresting?

Arkhosia
2014-04-04, 09:39 PM
Nope!

C'nor, mind clearing your inbox?

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-04-05, 12:51 AM
Hi guys! I re-typed my character from like three years ago. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17254393&postcount=11)

I wouldn't have really thought of it, but when I noticed that Hazuki was here, and that there was a reboot, I knew I needed in.

So, questions:

1. What's the Middle School/High School grade/age cutoff?
2. What're the differences between the schools referenced so far?

I've read the first posts of previous threads, but I've never read the show or watched the books.

Tebryn
2014-04-05, 01:02 AM
Hrrm. Open question. Is Mop uninteresting?

It's been what...a day? Two days since you made her and posted. Give it some time.

Also, at a loss for where to put Kyosuke. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Hazuki
2014-04-05, 01:42 AM
I wouldn't have really thought of it, but when I noticed that Hazuki was here, and that there was a reboot, I knew I needed in.D'aww. I love you too, Guns. <3

Anyr
2014-04-05, 06:20 AM
Hi guys! I re-typed my character from like three years ago. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17254393&postcount=11)

Shellie looks fine to me. Her 'personality' section does seem a bit brief, though.

1. What's the Middle School/High School grade/age cutoff?

15, AFAIK.

2. What're the differences between the schools referenced so far?

Briefly: Azabu and Tokiwadai are a pair of gender-exclusive private schools located within the beautiful 'School Garden' area. They're both prestigious, but extremely strict. Onizuka is a standard co-ed school in District 13, with few distinguishing features beyond an abundance of Espers, and a good record in athletics.

If you need more specific details, just ask.

Arkhosia
2014-04-05, 10:26 AM
Hey hazuki, apologies if my posts make it seem that I dislike Mop or you. I have a habit of staying online very late, so tiredness. By very late, I mean up to 1 AM. :smalleek:

Anyr
2014-04-05, 10:36 AM
Also, at a loss for where to put Kyosuke. Any suggestions would be welcome.

If you like, I could provide an opponent for him. The other members of Moroe's team (GATE) exist pretty much solely to show up and fight people. They appear, fulfil their 'dial-a-boss' duties, and then go back to their off-screen box. In the last game, their leader was a Level 5 with this ability:

Level: 5
Esper Ability: All Roads
Katashi can attract and repel almost anything, using himself as a centre. At its peak this affects everything around him, but the focus can be narrowed to affect a specific object or arc. This allows him to (among other things) bring a pencil to his hand, deflect an incoming attack or jump great distances by 'repelling' the Earth itself. When used at full power, this ability can cause incredible devastation to wide areas. While at first glance it would appear to make Katashi invincible, it has at least two weaknesses: He can't attract and repel at the same time; And after particularly strong or all-encompassing applications, he must wait a short time before using All Roads again.

Assuming the ability passes muster, he and Kyosuke could have a quick skirmish, to kill time before the main event. What do you think?

Tebryn
2014-04-05, 11:34 AM
If you like, I could provide an opponent for him. The other members of Moroe's team (GATE) exist pretty much solely to show up and fight people. They appear, fulfil their 'dial-a-boss' duties, and then go back to their off-screen box. In the last game, their leader was a Level 5 with this ability:

Level: 5
Esper Ability: All Roads
Katashi can attract and repel almost anything, using himself as a centre. At its peak this affects everything around him, but the focus can be narrowed to affect a specific object or arc. This allows him to (among other things) bring a pencil to his hand, deflect an incoming attack or jump great distances by 'repelling' the Earth itself. When used at full power, this ability can cause incredible devastation to wide areas. While at first glance it would appear to make Katashi invincible, it has at least two weaknesses: He can't attract and repel at the same time; And after particularly strong or all-encompassing applications, he must wait a short time before using All Roads again.

Assuming the ability passes muster, he and Kyosuke could have a quick skirmish, to kill time before the main event. What do you think?

I think that'd be great! Would this be in Academy City or out in it's environs?

Anyr
2014-04-05, 11:41 AM
I think that'd be great! Would this be in Academy City or out in it's environs?

Within; But preferably somewhere free of civilians and valuable property. It wouldn't do to involve the authorities, after all.

Hazuki
2014-04-05, 11:57 AM
What is Shanelle's actual name meant to be? The different spellings are confusing me.

Arkhosia
2014-04-05, 12:01 PM
What is Shanelle's actual name meant to be? The different spellings are confusing me.

Shantelle La'Forette.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-04-05, 03:30 PM
Shellie looks fine to me. Her 'personality' section does seem a bit brief, though.

Hmm. Very well. I added some more.

I should also add which schools she's been to and going to, but that might be more fun in MS Paint diagram form.

EDIT: turns out that apparently the one middle school doesn't accept people without mega superpowers anyway, so I guess she's starting in the other one and trying to catch up with schoolwork to get into Futsu Seijona High School. (http://toarumajutsunoindex.wikia.com/wiki/A_Certain_High_School)

Morcleon
2014-04-05, 04:22 PM
Well, finally finished my first character. Otosaki Shizuka, singer and Level 3 esper. ^.^

The sheet is a little bare bones right now, and I'll probably be upgrading it as she develops.

Arkhosia
2014-04-05, 04:27 PM
Well, finally finished my first character. Otosaki Shizuka, singer and Level 3 esper. ^.^

The sheet is a little bare bones right now, and I'll probably be upgrading it as she develops.

I need to post one for Hikari later.
Expect it to be up tonight (well, tonight from the perspective of an American. I dunno where you live, which is a good thing cuz it means you're better than me at internet anonymity).

Anyr
2014-04-05, 05:40 PM
EDIT: turns out that apparently the one middle school doesn't accept people without mega superpowers anyway, so I guess she's starting in the other one and trying to catch up with schoolwork to get into Futsu Seijona High School. (http://toarumajutsunoindex.wikia.com/wiki/A_Certain_High_School)

Actually, Tokiwadai's 'level 3 or higher' is more of a guideline in these games. If you want to make a level 2- Tokiwadai student, go right ahead.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-04-05, 09:58 PM
Actually, Tokiwadai's 'level 3 or higher' is more of a guideline in these games. If you want to make a level 2- Tokiwadai student, go right ahead.

Hmm. So, that re-opens the question of where to actually start her out.

She probably went to Onizuka as a mundane at first, but since she missed a year of school, it wouldn't be unreasonable to sign up for some tutoring at the private school in an attempt to catch up. Were it not for her mishap, she would be in high school this year, so that's where her friends are.

...this seemed like a big problem at first, but actually, I seem to have given myself a reason to jump between three different school settings at will. Huh.

Anyr
2014-04-05, 10:08 PM
Hmm. So, that re-opens the question of where to actually start her out.

She probably went to Onizuka as a mundane at first, but since she missed a year of school, it wouldn't be unreasonable to sign up for some tutoring at the private school in an attempt to catch up. Were it not for her mishap, she would be in high school this year, so that's where her friends are.

...this seemed like a big problem at first, but actually, I seem to have given myself a reason to jump between three different school settings at will. Huh.

Onizuka and Tokiwadai don't mix. The snobs who run the latter have great concern for their school's public image. In the past they've turned away royalty for not meeting their standards. So imagine how they'd react to an applicant who'd attended a (in their eyes) bottom of the barrel school like Onizuka. I think you're going to have to pick one or the other.

Hazuki
2014-04-05, 10:28 PM
Arkhosia, is there any reason you've not deigned to put Mop, Hajime, Eli, and Han on the list of characters?

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-04-05, 10:40 PM
Onizuka and Tokiwadai don't mix. The snobs who run the latter have great concern for their school's public image. In the past they've turned away royalty for not meeting their standards. So imagine how they'd react to an applicant who'd attended a (in their eyes) bottom of the barrel school like Onizuka. I think you're going to have to pick one or the other.

I guess it has to be Onizuka, then? Even if she's a top-of-the-line student, she was still basically mundane until recently.

The argument you're making kind of makes this decision feel like being sorted into Hufflepuff, though... it's not technically anything to be ashamed of, but it's still established as a place for idiots and NPCs. Maybe I've made a bad character after all?

Hazuki
2014-04-05, 10:46 PM
I guess it has to be Onizuka, then? Even if she's a top-of-the-line student, she was still basically mundane until recently.

The argument you're making kind of makes this decision feel like being sorted into Hufflepuff, though... it's not technically anything to be ashamed of, but it's still clearly a place for idiots and NPCs. Maybe I've made a bad character after all?I don't think that Shellie is a bad character. Her powers and how she got them are quite interesting. How she's having to accommodate these unwanted gifts in her life are fairly detailed, and they make sense. I'd like to interact with her, and this time I'm not making a dirty joke.

I think it's just that Tokiwadai is comically arrogant.

Arkhosia
2014-04-05, 10:48 PM
Arkhosia, is there any reason you've not deigned to put Mop, Hajime, Eli, and Han on the list of characters?

Haven't added them yet due to being distracted. Plan to later.

Anyr
2014-04-05, 11:00 PM

The argument you're making kind of makes this decision feel like being sorted into Hufflepuff, though... it's not technically anything to be ashamed of, but it's still established as a place for idiots and NPCs. Maybe I've made a bad character after all?

No no, your character is fine. It's just a consequence of the game only having three schools. The trouble is that if we added any more, the players would be spread too thinly.

Also, Onizuka is by no means a place for idiots: It's a perfectly decent middle-class school. And if you really want Shellie to attend Tokiwadai, I'm sure we can work out a reason. Maybe she was offered a scholarship as compensation for having her brain fried? Or maybe our version of Tokiwadai values sufficiently brilliant students regardless of their psychic ability? That would allow her to have been there even before the accident.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-04-05, 11:09 PM
I don't think that Shellie is a bad character.... I think it's just that Tokiwadai is comically arrogant.

No no, your character is fine. It's just a consequence of the game only having three schools.... Onizuka is by no means a place for idiots: It's a perfectly decent middle-class school. And if you really want Shellie to attend Tokiwadai, I'm sure we can work out a reason. Maybe she was offered a scholarship as compensation for having her brain fried?

Nah. I think I was just reading too much into it and freaking out. Besides, Tokiwadai can't be held responsible for the absurd government psionics testing thing.

Postin' time!

Hazuki
2014-04-07, 11:27 AM
Is anybody available for interaction? Judging by the IC thread, no, but it can't hurt to ask.

Anyr
2014-04-07, 11:39 AM
Is anybody available for interaction? Judging by the IC thread, no, but it can't hurt to ask.

Mop's near Tokiwadai, right? She could easily cross paths with Crocell and Kin.

Arkhosia
2014-04-07, 01:55 PM

I think it's your turn in the Mop & Shantelle scene.

Tebryn
2014-04-07, 03:19 PM
Just a reminder/heads up. I'm heading out to PAX East Weds, won't have internet access until next Weds at the earliest.

Hazuki
2014-04-08, 08:35 AM
Mop's near Tokiwadai, right? She could easily cross paths with Crocell and Kin.Sure. It would be easy enough for her to encounter them in the Pâtisserie, that they were headed to in their last IC post?

Anyr
2014-04-08, 09:15 AM
Sure. It would be easy enough for her to encounter them in the Pâtisserie, that they were headed to in their last IC post?

Certainly.

Arkhosia
2014-04-08, 10:10 AM
Sure. It would be easy enough for her to encounter them in the Pâtisserie, that they were headed to in their last IC post?
Sounds good to me!

Anyr
2014-04-08, 10:03 PM
An awkward fact has come to my attention, in regard to the fight between Katashi and Kyosuke: Academy City is landlocked. It doesn't have any docks. Given this new information, I suppose the two are actually fighting in some sort of open-air storage area; With...I don't know...A very large water tank?

Arkhosia
2014-04-08, 10:08 PM
An awkward fact has come to my attention, in regard to the fight between Katashi and Kyosuke: Academy City is landlocked. It doesn't have any docks. Given this new information, I suppose the two are actually fighting in some sort of open-air storage area; With...I don't know...A very large water tank?

An underground river to the sea's dock! :smalltongue:

AnimeKid
2014-04-08, 10:12 PM
Hey Ark, did Miria notice Tobio talking to her?

Arkhosia
2014-04-08, 10:17 PM
I didn't. :smallredface:

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-04-10, 05:44 PM
Errrgf.

Okay, the battle taking place that led to the explosion that Shellie kind-of heard as a result of her almost-powers are taking place at, "the docks," which may or may not be actual docks in this iteration of the Academy City universe, such as it is. "The docks," are not, I'm assuming, anywhere in proximity to any of the schools. The idea was that nobody else would hear it from so far away at all.

If they ARE in close enough proximity for Eli to hear, it becomes important right about now.

Thoughts?

Anyr
2014-04-10, 06:17 PM
Errrgf.

Okay, the battle taking place that led to the explosion that Shellie kind-of heard as a result of her almost-powers are taking place at, "the docks," which may or may not be actual docks in this iteration of the Academy City universe, such as it is. "The docks," are not, I'm assuming, anywhere in proximity to any of the schools. The idea was that nobody else would hear it from so far away at all.

If they ARE in close enough proximity for Eli to hear, it becomes important right about now.

Thoughts?

Agreed. The fight is meant to be happening far from civilian eyes and ears. It's likely several districts away from Onizuka.

ImpSyndrome
2014-04-11, 07:55 AM
OK, I admittedly missed that part. I didn't realize that it was part of a super-hearing-type thing...My mistake. Should I go back and change it?

Anyr
2014-04-11, 08:27 AM
OK, I admittedly missed that part. I didn't realize that it was part of a super-hearing-type thing...My mistake. Should I go back and change it?

It's fine. As Shellie said IC, Eli probably just heard something else.

Arkhosia
2014-04-11, 01:26 PM
Please post links to any posts I need to reply to

Morcleon
2014-04-11, 10:32 PM
Please post links to any posts I need to reply to

Here, have a link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?338838-RailITP-Academy-City-FFRP-IC-I&p=17285171#post17285171). :smallbiggrin:

Tebryn
2014-04-12, 08:16 PM

Got a minute to post for PAX, what ever works man, it's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things I think. I'll be back sometime tuesday to post. Not dropping the game, just away.

Lord-Cao-Cao
2014-04-16, 05:35 AM
Well, this is something that I haven't seen in a long time. What's going on with regards to characters now? Are we abandoning what happened during the last thread?

Arkhosia
2014-04-16, 05:43 AM
Well, this is something that I haven't seen in a long time. What's going on with regards to characters now? Are we abandoning what happened during the last thread?

Hello!
Sort of. We are starting off with all the stuff hsppened to your PC having happened, give or take anything in relation to any then I going plots or anything that makes all of this supercomplivated for us.
Anyr can explain better than me this though.

Anyr
2014-04-16, 07:49 AM

Regreetings and welcome! It's fine to import continuity from the old threads, provided it doesn't force new players to read through those threads. So for example, Shougo and Moroe's history can still be the same (if you so desire); But we should avoid drowning the new players in the complicated specifics of it. In other words, focus more on where they are now, rather than the exact path they took to get there.

Also, I suppose we should retcon out their last scene together: The one where Moroe found out that the mindwipe was failing. Because otherwise, her actions so far in this thread wouldn't make sense. Sound good?

Lord-Cao-Cao
2014-04-16, 02:20 PM
Sounds good to me. Now, uh, time to backtrack to see what exactly they were doing before that...

Morcleon
2014-04-16, 07:45 PM
*pokes Arkhosia to the cafe* :smallsmile:

Arkhosia
2014-04-16, 09:37 PM
Shall reply later when inspiration strikes

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-04-17, 01:32 AM
((Wouldn't 30-year-futuristic tech be more reliable than that? Or are we using the general "tech is as dumb as the people who make it" logic?))

More reliable than what? The details I made up on the spot are way past anything we're likely to actually come up with in that time. Shellie just hears a lot of rumors about this sort of thing, and she was a stickler for audio fidelity even before the, "incident."

Actually, we might also be able to use the device as a hook for emergent plot combos. Maybe I should ask about the specifics in a PM, though; I'm worried enough about whether what I've already come up with is acceptable.

ImpSyndrome
2014-04-17, 08:18 AM
More reliable than what? The details I made up on the spot are way past anything we're likely to actually come up with in that time. Shellie just hears a lot of rumors about this sort of thing, and she was a stickler for audio fidelity even before the, "incident."

Actually, we might also be able to use the device as a hook for emergent plot combos. Maybe I should ask about the specifics in a PM, though; I'm worried enough about whether what I've already come up with is acceptable.
Well, speech recognition and translation technologies already exist today, so I'd figure that a device that can combine the two to surmount the language barrier would be near-optimal in 30 years' time. I keep forgetting that Shellie is sensitive to sound, though, which may have created a misunderstanding on my part.

What exactly do you mean by using it as a 'hook', though? I'm equal parts worried and intrigued by the mention of it.

AnimeKid
2014-04-17, 09:11 AM

Heya Cao-Cao. The answer to your question is pretty much what Anyr said. The question I have to ask you is if you want to strike up Mei and Tobio's friendship again.

Anyr
2014-04-17, 09:25 AM
((Wouldn't 30-year-futuristic tech be more reliable than that? Or are we using the general "tech is as dumb as the people who make it" logic?))

In a way, both those statements are true. In order to maintain their edge, Academy City deliberately dumbs down the technology they sell to others. So even if their private translation devices are fantastic, the 'over the counter' versions will be significantly worse.

Lord-Cao-Cao
2014-04-17, 10:40 AM
Heya AK. We can do whatever's good to you with regards to Mei and Tobio, although it may be simpler to just have them as friends from the last thread(s).

Morcleon
2014-04-17, 04:44 PM
Shall reply later when inspiration strikes

Okay~! ^_^

*strikes you with inspiration bat* >.>

:smalltongue:

Arkhosia
2014-04-17, 04:53 PM
Okay~! ^_^

*strikes you with inspiration bat* >.>

:smalltongue:

AGH! INSPURATION STRUKES WITH PAINZ! AND BRAUN DAUNAGE!
Replying now.

Terry576
2014-04-19, 12:30 AM
Hey guys, can we maybe cut back on all the foreigners and half-Japanese people? This RP is set in Japan, and the main cast of canon is mostly Japanese, apart from the magicians. Not very many foreigners are invited to Academy City at all, and we have half the cast as foreigners - some of which don't even speak the language of the country they plan to go to school and live in.

Just a thought.

Hazuki
2014-04-19, 12:42 AM
Cool story, bro. Maybe you can stop telling people how to make their own characters.

Tebryn
2014-04-19, 01:00 AM
Cool story, bro. Maybe you can stop telling people how to make their own characters.

Well this is awkward because you're not going to like what I have to say about The Alexandrian's character then. The writing sets off so many alarms in my head when it comes to character generation that I can't even list them. The description write up is like a Paint by Numbers from a book like Twilight and while this is perhaps just me being a curmudgeon but the write up beyond that is so utterly non-serious that I'm unable to take the character as anything more than a joke write up. Also as someone who suffers from actual insomnia, that's not how it works. That's just me and maybe I'm taking all this much more seriously than it is, but I wasn't aware that this was intended to be a comedy or at least a majority comedy. I'm in the wrong place if that's the case.

Hazuki
2014-04-19, 01:03 AM
Well this is awkward because you're not going to like what I have to say about The Alexandrian's character. The writing sets off so many alarms in my head when it comes to character generation that I can't even list them. The description write up is like a Paint by Numbers from a book like Twilight and while this is perhaps just me being a curmudgeon but the write up beyond that is so utterly non-serious that I'm unable to take the character as anything more than a joke write up. Also as someone who suffers from actual insomnia, that's not how it works.Nah. I'm cool with that. It's actually useful criticism.

Tebryn
2014-04-19, 01:10 AM
Nah. I'm cool with that. It's actually useful criticism.

Oh, well. Then I guess I'll add they're not Daymares if they stop you from sleeping at night. They're nightmares.

Lady Serpentine
2014-04-19, 01:11 AM
@Terry:

The characters are hardly a representative sample of an entire city, most of us aren't Japanese and don't necessarily know enough to play someone who is, and we're sure as hell not going to put a restriction on who can be made that way. If people wanted to make characters like that, they would; they haven't. So if you don't like it, fine, there are plenty of links away you can take. Quit bitching.

Also the main cast of the anime, at least, is at most half-Japanese, to judge by the way they're drawn and the color schemes used for them, so. Y'know. Not really helping your case there.

Terry576
2014-04-19, 01:17 AM

Oh you want critique?

I'll give you critique.

In Japan, foreigners are called 'gaijin'. Gaijin literally means 'white devil', and most foreigners are severely mistrusted due to Japan's long nature as an isolationist society. There are shops, stores, restaurants, and parts of Tokyo that foreigners cannot enter. Most of Japan still dislikes and doesn't acknowledge foreigners at all, and in fact, people who have lived in Japan for ten years - but aren't Japanese?

They're treated as visitors. You can marry a Japanese person, know all the customs, and have worked for a Japanese company for the past five years, but you'll still be treated like someone who has just recently entered the country. The reason that I strongly advocate against a lot of foreigners in an RP so highly centered on a city that is so entirely about technology is that I doubt Japan would allow a lot of foreigners to enter the city, because of how isolationist 90% of the country is.

What, are facts getting in the way of your hostility?

@C'nor: What? "Don't know how to play someone who is"? They're not elves. They're human beings of a different race.

Tebryn
2014-04-19, 01:21 AM
Oh you want critique?

I'll give you critique.

In Japan, foreigners are called 'gaijin'. Gaijin literally means 'white devil', and most foreigners are severely mistrusted due to Japan's long nature as an isolationist society. There are shops, stores, restaurants, and parts of Tokyo that foreigners cannot enter. Most of Japan still dislikes and doesn't acknowledge foreigners at all, and in fact, people who have lived in Japan for ten years - but aren't Japanese?

They're treated as visitors. You can marry a Japanese person, know all the customs, and have worked for a Japanese company for the past five years, but you'll still be treated like someone who has just recently entered the country. The reason that I strongly advocate against a lot of foreigners in an RP so highly centered on a city that is so entirely about technology is that I doubt Japan would allow a lot of foreigners to enter the city, because of how isolationist 90% of the country is.

What, are facts getting in the way of your hostility?

@C'nor: What? "Don't know how to play someone who is"? They're not elves. They're human beings of a different race.

Totally not to diffuse the arguments here, but my brother lives in Chigasaki and a lot of the "Japan hates outsiders" stuff we see here in the States is wildly misrepresented or flat out wrong. Just saying. He lives comfortably and happily in the city and while there is some xenophobic elements in the culture it is very much an older generation thing. It doesn't effect his day to day life anymore than being a foreigner would effect your life in the United States. Also Gaijin doesn't translate to White Devil or anything close to that, literaly or otherwise. It translates to Outside Person. Since Jin (人) means person and Gai (外) means "Outside".

Everyone needs to take a chill pill, fighting isn't really going to get us anywhere. Especially escalating hostilities and aggression.

Lord-Cao-Cao
2014-04-19, 01:23 AM
As much as I hate to say it, I agree with Terry. It's not that there are foreigners; that's fine. It's just that literally everybody except Anyr, AK, Terry and myself are foreigners; and everyone but the good Doctor is American.

Hazuki
2014-04-19, 01:24 AM
Oh you want critique?

I'll give you critique.

What, are facts getting in the way of your hostility?Nah. Is your ego getting in the way of a fun game?

Tebryn
2014-04-19, 01:25 AM
As much as I hate to say it, I agree with Terry. It's not that there are foreigners; that's fine. It's just that literally everybody except Anyr, AK, Terry and myself are foreigners; and everyone but the good Doctor is American.

Kyosuke happens to be Japanese.

The Alexandrian
2014-04-19, 02:01 AM
@Teb

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. My char may be over-detailed, but that comes with the territory (or so to speak). I won't elaborate on what that territory is.

However, I've noticed that your character description does not specify even the eye color of your char. There's nothing wrong with that, but I can't even begin to envision your char. I know that he's a male and nerdy-looking, but beyond that, I know nothing about what your char looks like.

The silliness in the character description titles was more or less due to the fact that char descriptions tend to be boring for people to read. The exceptions were written in because I scale the power levels of my chars (which I believe everyone should do for drama's sake, but that's just my opinion). To some extent, I also would like to add a level of humor to my char. In my experience, hilarity, when judiciously applied, makes a char endearing. With all of the moody chars around, I figured that lightheartedness would be in short supply. I've identified at least two other chars that seem to be rped in a lighthearted manner, those two being Kin and Mop (both of which I think are absolutely charming chars). I am not aware of a valid reason as to why this setting must be/should be grimdark. If it is to be exclusively grimdark, perhaps that should be noted in the OP? I'm guessing that the player count probably would drop by a significant amount over a relatively short span of time leading to a quicker death of the thread and concept if that change were made, but if grimdark is what you would prefer, perhaps you can put it to a vote.

As for the concept of Daymares which I had left ambiguous for a reasons of plawt...

Some people see things out of the corners of their eyes. Things that you see for a moment, but when you turn to look directly at them, they're gone. They whisper to you. You catch glimpses of them, but nothing more. Piece by piece, you assemble them in your mind. Their faces. Their grizzled appendages. The pain or anger that sculpts their infernal expressions. You wake up in the morning, knowing that they were there, watching you while you slept.

That is why one cannot sleep. Fear. Not of what one might see, but of what one might not see. Things that lurk in the darkest of depths and haunt the waking world instead of mere dreams. Always watching. Always.

About foreigners:

At the university which I attend, an absurdly large percentage of the student body consists of international students. If an extremely prestigious academic institution exists, foreigners will flock to it, especially if that academic institution was famous for generating psychics. Besides that, if one was searching for extraordinary people, one would, naturally, search for said extraordinary people in multiple populations, cultures, and nations (it would not be acceptable from a scientific perspective not to do so - if there was a correspondence between extraordinary PSI students and a certain group from which causality could be established, those who wield the amazing power of science could isolate this cause thereby better understanding how these PSI powers develop and how to induce them within an individual).

Tebryn
2014-04-19, 02:09 AM
@Teb Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. My char may be over-detailed, but that comes with the territory (or so to speak). I won't elaborate on what that territory is.

Did you write My Immortal?

The sun adores caressing her fair skin with its warming rays. It would not, nay, it could not so much as think of scorching such a lovely young woman! A siren's song flows from her lips as she speaks. Margaret is aware of her sublime beauty. She walks with such grace (and a slight swaying of her alluring hips) that her feet never quite seem to touch the ground.

I mean...I'm sorry but...how am I to take that seriously? And it's Tebryn, thank you.

However, I've noticed that your character description does not specify even the eye color of your char. There's nothing wrong with that, but I can't even begin to envision your char. I know that he's a male and nerdy-looking, but beyond that, I know nothing about what your char looks like.

I'm happy to let people put their own image on the character. Kyosuke isn't mine once he's in the game after all, what he looks like doesn't matter really. And if there is something important, I find it better to do that while in the game, not on a 5x5 note card.

Hazuki
2014-04-19, 02:14 AM
I've identified at least two other chars that seem to be rped in a lighthearted manner, those two being Kin and Mop (both of which I think are absolutely charming chars).Thanks very much. :3

Tebryn
2014-04-19, 02:17 AM
Thanks very much. :3

The thing is the game isn't some black and white thing. There is a difference between not having any light hearted characters, the game being GRIMDARK and then there being characters who don't cleave to the same cloth of the over all tone. It's a spectrum (and to take a page from your writing style The Alexander), like a rainbow, where different characters exist on different stages and thus work to make the setting complex while still keeping harmony between one another as they blend into each other. Mop and Kin are like a nice indigo where Fiona Cassidy is green. "Mu" is a non-euclidean shade of pottery. If you catch my meaning. The writing feels zaney just for the sake of being zaney. Looking at Hazuki's character is a prefect case study on how to write a character not intended to be totally serious. I'd recommend studying it.