PDA

View Full Version : Computer Fallout: New Vegas- Mods and Playthrough Ideas

Gaelbert
2014-04-01, 09:08 PM
So I've logged somewhere over ~200 hours on New Vegas of the course of 6 or 7 different characters. What I've noticed is that despite my character concept, every playthrough ends up going the same way. I've never stuck with anything other than a sniper/pro-NCR character for much more than an hour or two, tops. I've also never finished the main questline. I always seem to do all the sidequests, and then peter out. But this time will be different!

I want a new experience. I'm hankering for something traditionally western, so I will (as I have in the past) be prioritizing the Cowboy perk. I'll probably pick up La Longue Carabine or the Medicine Stick, but I want the majority of my combat to be shorter ranged, shotguns and revolvers. I'll be playing in hardcore mode, which I've done a little of before until it got rather dull and not terribly challenging. I'll be doing the Honest Hearts and Lonesome Road DLCs, as those are the ones most relevant to the character concept and the only ones I can bother running through again. And I'll either do the Yes Man or House main quest playthroughs. Leaning towards the former, but we'll see. Character motivations are inspired by some readings I've been doing about the Republic of Texas, adapted to the Fallout setting. Comparing NCR to the U.S. and Nevada/New Vegas to the RoT, so my character won't be anti-NCR but still supports an independent Vegas.

So now that I've given you all the useless exposition, what ideas do you have for my playthrough that might help? I'm mainly looking for mods that can provide weapons historically rooted in the American West/Southwest, with an emphasis on realism and depth over awesome stats. Also looking for mods that utilize the Survival skill, because I really want this character to be based around it but it's always seemed a little on the useless side to me. Finally, any particular quests/styles of play that fit into my general theme that I haven't thought of? I'll probably use the Russell, Inheritance, and Bounty Hunter mods because they loosely fit into my idea, and are pretty well done. Also, just as important, what gear should I equip to look the part?

tl;dr: How can I emphasize the Western aspect of New Vegas through modding and playstyle?

Cespenar
2014-04-02, 07:16 AM
Given how my first playthrough was with a guy named Roland who sported cowboy apparel and a cut-off .223 pistol (that might have come with a mod), I have no idea how to help you. :smalltongue:

Antonok
2014-04-02, 08:09 AM
Well there this sound mod (http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/54693/?).

And this weather (http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/35497/?) mod.

Other then those, I'd say a hunting rifle for long range and a revolver for close range are about the best you're going to get.

Kesnit
2014-04-03, 05:51 AM
I'm guessing you already have Project Nevada. (If you don't, get it!) Since you are going to be focusing on using 1 weapon, PN has the Signature Weapon and Signature Armor mods built in. Pick a weapon and armor at the start of the game, and as you use them, they get more powerful.