PDA

View Full Version : The living undead?

CyberThread
2014-04-01, 10:23 PM
what happens when you cast a resurrection spell on a zombie? ((besides not working))

OldTrees1
2014-04-01, 10:27 PM
Target: Dead creature touched
You can resurrect someone ... who has been turned into an undead creature and then destroyed.

I think not. A Zombie is an invalid target until the Zombie is destroyed.

Lord Vukodlak
2014-04-01, 10:28 PM
what happens when you cast a resurrection spell on a zombie? ((besides not working))
Nothing, absolutely nothing.

Doc_Maynot
2014-04-01, 10:39 PM
Uhhh...

"Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead." (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#undeadType)

The type explicitly says (True) Resurrection works.

Lord Vukodlak
2014-04-01, 10:45 PM
Uhhh...

"Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead." (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#undeadType)

The type explicitly says (True) Resurrection works.The type is clarifying the fact that if you resurrect a dead vampire you get a living creature not a vampire. The spells description for (true) resurrection says it only works on an undead creature that has been destroyed.

So unless the zombie has been destroyed resurrection does nothing.

Hytheter
2014-04-01, 10:49 PM
I think it would be way cooler though if you could ressurect a creature directly from their undead form.

Coidzor
2014-04-01, 10:53 PM
And here I thought this was asking about a hypothetical Undead equivalent to Living Constructs, aww.

reaverb
2014-04-01, 10:54 PM
I think it would be way cooler though if you could ressurect a creature directly from their undead form.Then make a house rule that says you can (or talk to your DM about it). That's one of the major advantages of Tabletop RPGs.

The Viscount
2014-04-02, 10:59 AM
And here I thought this was asking about a hypothetical Undead equivalent to Living Constructs, aww.

Deathless basically are that.

Sian
2014-04-02, 11:29 AM
Deathless basically are that.

No ... Deathless is postive aligned 'undeads'

The Viscount
2014-04-02, 11:55 PM
I'm just going to avoid the alignment bit with deathless because it is the gateway to a more complicated and thorny alignment debate. I'll just say that there can be good aligned undead (ghost, for example) and move on.

Deathless are a distinct type and while they share similarities with undead they are importantly different. I say that they are like living constructs because, like living constructs they are animated by positive energy instead of what usually animates their similar kind (elementals for most constructs, negative energy for undead). Also like living constructs they do not have as many immunities as their close relation, though in the case of deathless they are only lacking immunity to necromantic effects and energy drain.