PDA

View Full Version : lightning wizard

12owlbears
2014-04-01, 10:57 PM
As a house rule in a game I'm in all wizards need a theme and they can only prepare spells that relate to that theme. I chose electricity. What is the maximum amount of versatility I can get out of a wizard with only lightning themed spells.

fishyfishyfishy
2014-04-01, 11:06 PM
As a house rule in a game I'm in all wizards need a theme and they can only prepare spells that relate to that theme. I chose electricity. What is the maximum amount of versatility I can get out of a wizard with only lightning themed spells.

Haste, Cat's Grace, and Expeditious Retreat can all be fluffed as giving you the speed of lightning. There's the obvious spells that deal electricity or sonic damage. On that note, Born of the Three Thunders is a wonderful feat for blasting. Resist Energy of the appropriate type..Hmm.. Obscuring Mist, Fog Cloud, and other weather related spells kind of fit with the theme. It might be better to go with at "Storm" theme rather than strictly lightning cause this is about all I can think of in the PHB that goes with this. Stormwrack probably has a lot you can use, but I doubt it would do much to make you versatile.

ericgrau
2014-04-01, 11:32 PM
Arc of Lightning
Ball Lightning
Black Lightning
Chain Lightning
Cross of Lightning
Electric Jolt
Electric Loop
Electric Slap
Electric Spark
Electrical Deluge
Elemental Shroud
Energy Spheres
Kaupaer's Quickblast
Lightning Bolt
Lightning Ring
Moonbow
Orb of Electricity
Lesser Orb of Electricity
Orbs of Various Energy
Scintillating Sphere
Shock Treatment
Shocking Grasp
Storm Prison
Storm Touch
Stun Ray
Thunderhead
Touchstone Lightning

A lot of these are good for hitting multiple targets. Others stun. Storm prison imprisons. To get more than damage you may have to stretch the theme a little, ya. Maybe you could summon air elementals too.

Tohsaka Rin
2014-04-01, 11:45 PM
Energy Substitution - Electricity.

Prepare all your spells with this metamagic, and suddenly they're ALL lightning.

Loophole abuse!

Captnq
2014-04-01, 11:55 PM
get Energy Sub-Electricity.

Otherwise, change to have your element be "time", be a psionist, and use all the time altering powers just for the fun of it. Time Hop never gets old.

Raezeman
2014-04-02, 04:01 AM
stormcaster prestige class (stormwrack) might be right up your alley!

NoACWarrior
2014-04-02, 04:32 AM
If you are more interested in seeing the split in spells I'd suggest looking athe the WuJen spell list. If you want to force all of your arcane casters into element types make them play WuJens.

If you are looking for a divine equivalent I think Shujega is it.

ShurikVch
2014-04-02, 06:24 AM
Just take feat Spell Thematics (http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-guide-to-faerun--22/spell-thematics--2714/) (lightning) and be happy :smallwink:
For example, your theme might be "lightning," " spheres," or " screaming skulls." ... If your theme is "lightning," your haste spell might manifest as a bright green spark that leaps from ally to ally.