PDA

View Full Version : Player Help An Artificer who wants More: How to get more Magic, Power, and other Fun Things

Bugworlds
2014-04-01, 11:48 PM
I am building a character who is seeking to find the most powerful, pure magic. He started as a Cleric who stop studying further cleric levels (only gaining Cleric 1), in favour for pursuit of Artificer levels; who consider themselves to be using the most pure magic. This isn't going to be good enough for his goal and a continuation of this study will show that it simply continues to expand in one direction; and he wants more.

I'm thinking an end goal (or one of) will be something along the lines of:
- Find a way to turn into a dragon, possibly starting with Dragon Disciple to get the half-dragon template
- Dragon ascendant, which at Dragon Ascendant 12 gives me quasi-diety status
- Divine Ascendant (if needed and allowed by DM) to get a divinity of 0

The biggest problem with this is the huge number of levels needed, although we're using an accelerated levelling system. I think I may end up getting the requirements for Divine Ascendant earlier than Dragon ascendant would give me the quasi-diety status so I'm unsure what I'd decide there. Another issue is this path seems to lean towards physical power until the end. While that would be usefull on the path to getting deity like power (as deemed by my character, a very pure magic when used directly but not very desirable to rely on as a cleric, or as he thinks of it 'second hand magic).

After getting quasi-diety status I think the raising of that status, or theft of divinity, would be my goal. I think rules for stuff like that is in Complete Divine which I haven't read yet but will be getting to.

A fall back to the study of divine magic (to jump back to now, rather than very late game ramblings) would be considered if it were to lead to an greater goal. The study of arcane magic would also be considered for the same reason. Magic which requires groups, circles, help, etc. is unideal but considerable.

The acquisition of epic spells is certainly a desired goal and I've looked into this a bit. What other magics are available which are very strong?

Elven High Magic comes to mind but I'm uncertain where to find rules for that; perhaps because it's not meant to be obtainable. What I know of it indicates it is prone to killing the user; something which my character /might/ consider an acceptable risk by the time he becomes powerful enough to use it. I'm sure I also need to look into Unearthed Arcana, Complete Divine (is that the title of the book I'm thinking of?), and Magic of Incarnum.

I think I'm going to carry on the Artificer path until Artificer (8), unless ring forging becomes quite desirable (One ring to rule them all...) and I don't want to find another way to get the creation feat.

TLDR: I'm playing an Artificer who wants powerful and pure magic, where should I research and/or place my goal?