PDA

View Full Version : Player Help (3.X, maybe some PF) Mid-Opish THF Ranger?

Coidzor
2014-04-02, 02:29 AM
So, got a Level 5 strong arm combat style ranger with a full-strength Animal Companion(house rule) being made.

Don't want an Animal Companion that will really outshine them, but will still be a good flanker, which makes me suspect that Fleshraker is probably out, since it's pretty strong even in comparison with a 5th level non-ToB martial type and the player is pretty green. Also, doesn't look like they'll be mounted.

They're probably going to be human but may be flexible on race, and there is some level of question as far as feats, but they decided they wanted to go THF because THF is the most straightforward route to good damage(switched from wanting to do archery due to being told about the hoops archers have to do and wanting to do a bunch of damage, so probably a charger as the end result, but...) and they wanted to be a Ranger because they wanted a pet. I'm thinking Knowledge Devotion may be of interest, especially since one of the possible houserules is a free auto max-rank knowledge/craft/profession/perform skill.

The main thing for me as far as advising them is that I'm mostly familiar with Ranger spells from the perspective of going Mystic Ranger w/Sword of the Arcane Order and Gishing it up, preferably with Wildshape or for augmenting their archery, and the other person helping her build her character isn't familiar with the Ranger spell list at all, so I'm not really sure what spells to recommend there. (and as much of a sin as it is, I'd wager a martial adept would be more the speed of the player anyway).

So, any suggestions for fine-tuning that or spells to look at/direct them towards? Current priority of interest is spells > animal companion selection > feat selection.

Though we've likely forgotten about any relevant ACFs, so feel free to embarrass me by reminding me of their existence. XD

All 3.5 and unupdated 3.0 sources should be on the table, though martial adepts and maneuvers are not(Superior Unarmed Strike, OTOH, should be kosher), unfortunately, and psionics may or may not be banned due to DM unfamiliarity and player newness. PF(or elements thereof) may be available by negotiation so if there's anything in particular(like a better combat style) it'd be good to push for I'd like to know, and Homebrew is always somewhat iffy but not completely verboten depending upon what it actually is.