PDA

View Full Version : portable hole: are there any humorous or crafty/creative uses that are by the book?

dehro
2014-04-02, 08:02 AM
I'm familiar with the 101 list of things to do with a portable hole which was an article on Dragon Magazine 200-something. It mostly consists of a list of things you can stuff in the hole.
Have you encountered more creative ways of using the hole that are completely rules legit and not, say, morphing the hole into an ACME hole?
any funny annecdotes revolving around this objects?

pwykersotz
2014-04-02, 08:05 AM
A classic.

http://i.imgur.com/Gfq4q.jpg

Segev
2014-04-02, 08:06 AM
Interestingly, while there are catastrophic consequences for putting bags of holding into portable holes and vice-versa, there's nothing preventing you from safely placing a portable hole in a portable hole. I've oft thought an entire dungeon crafted of nested portable holes would be fascinating.

oxybe
2014-04-02, 08:14 AM
step 1: get portable hole
step 2: get golem
step 3: put golem in hole & wrap it up.
step 4: deploy hole on floor near target & have golem stand fully erect and grab enemies to drag in
step 5: roll up hole again with golem & target inside.

just remember to clean it up every so often.

we did this in the council of thieves adventure path. it started off when we got a clay golem manual and realized it's not convenient to drag the golem around as the city was made for medium creatures in mind. so we had the golem climb in the hole (which i'm not sure if we found or bought) and carried it around with us.

we then found it's surprising what one can do when they have a terminator-in-a-box.

another thing we did a few times was deploy the hole above targets so the golem falls on them. strategic golem drops are both weird & beautiful.

Sliver
2014-04-02, 08:20 AM
Interestingly, while there are catastrophic consequences for putting bags of holding into portable holes and vice-versa, there's nothing preventing you from safely placing a portable hole in a portable hole. I've oft thought an entire dungeon crafted of nested portable holes would be fascinating.

Like Cube that doesn't take any space? Well... I guess shifting them around would also be impossible... Or making them to connected in a web, instead of branches...

Not like Cube at all...

dehro
2014-04-03, 02:50 AM
A classic.

http://i.imgur.com/Gfq4q.jpg

meh.. I made that mistake with my first character in this campaign... forgot not to take my handy haversack into the rope-trick... it blew off an arm of my character and opened the world up to an Githzerai invasion.

anyhoo, the DM has ruled that gravity follows the orientation which we apply to the opening... as in "stuff that was on the ground when I opened it sticking the hole to a wall will fall and possibly break should I open it on the floor instead, on account of how the floor now is a side-wall".
this does limit my options a bit.. but it's not like right now or in the foreseable future I have much of anything to store in it anyway.