PDA

View Full Version : Tales of the Questor

Renegade Paladin
2007-02-04, 05:11 PM
Well, I've seen this plugged in a couple other topics, but it doesn't have its own thread and I think it deserves one.

Tales of the Questor (http://www.rhjunior.com/totq/00001.html)

It starts out corny for a reason. Just get past the first 5 comics, and I promise you'll find an actually good story. :smallwink:

Elliot Kane
2007-02-04, 05:39 PM
I'm not normally big on talking animals, but you're right - this is cool :)

Renegade Paladin
2007-02-04, 10:52 PM
Heh. I'm not either; I didn't think I'd like it at first when a friend sent it to me, but I gave it a shot and was impressed. The fact that the characters are for the most part talking raccoons (okay fine, Rac'Cona Daihm :smalltongue:) and I still like it must mean it's really good.

Elliot Kane
2007-02-05, 04:17 AM
I agree. I just spent half the night reading it! As if I don't read enough web comics already... :D

But... Quentyn is just so likeable I just kinda forget he's a raccoon by the end :D

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-02-05, 07:30 AM
Myself as well, a rather kickass raccoon comic!

ElfMaster2000
2007-02-07, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I just sat and read the entire archives. Its an awesome comic! I especially like how they make magic into science. Its an interesting twist I'd never seen.

Renegade Paladin
2007-02-07, 08:54 PM
To be honest with you? It's because the author is an evangelical Christian and he's trying to weasel out of being seen as depicting witchcraft. But he writes a good story, all the same.

Elliot Kane
2007-02-08, 04:16 PM
Does anyone know when this updates, BTW? I can't see anywhere on the site that says...

Khantalas
2007-02-08, 04:47 PM
It's a good read so far, but the transcribed accents are killing me.

Seriously, I usually skip all those strips.

Renegade Paladin
2007-02-08, 09:30 PM
Does anyone know when this updates, BTW? I can't see anywhere on the site that says...

Erratically. Usually sometime around Saturday, but it's not set.
It's a good read so far, but the transcribed accents are killing me.

Seriously, I usually skip all those strips.
You mean the swamp folk? Well, it's a comic strip. If you don't transcribe the accent, how are you supposed to show a different manner of speaking? See: Durkon (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0305.html).

Elliot Kane
2007-02-08, 09:31 PM
Thanks, Renegade Paladin :)

Khantalas
2007-02-09, 03:52 AM
You mean the swamp folk? Well, it's a comic strip. If you don't transcribe the accent, how are you supposed to show a different manner of speaking? See: Durkon (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0305.html).

By using different fonts. Durkon's do not differ that much from the norm, but the swamp raccoonan's (?) do.

I like Asterix.

Renegade Paladin
2007-02-09, 05:06 PM
Eh. I find it's better to get a feel for what they actually sound like; I would use a different font/bolding/whatever to indicate a different tone (deep, gravelly, whatever), but it doesn't capture a difference in dialect.

I dunno. Maybe it's that I grew up reading stories written in Elizabethan English. I'm just used to "translating" on the fly so it doesn't bother me anymore. *Shrug*

ObiwanNekody
2007-02-09, 08:07 PM
Just sound the words out. It's amazing how much easier it is to understand dialects then.

Consistent dialects add a lot to the flavor of a setting, or so I believe.

Overall, I consider this to be one of the better web comics. Nice for it to have a highlight tread now...

Elliot Kane
2007-02-10, 04:01 AM
I agree with Renegade Paladin & ObiwanNekody. The dialects slow me down a bit, but not by much, and they certainly add flavour.

I also agree that it's one of the better web comics out there, and I read quite a number these days.

Renegade Paladin
2007-02-11, 02:32 AM
New one, in case you missed it.

Elliot Kane
2007-02-11, 07:14 AM
Thanks, RP :)

Appreciate the heads up :)

I think I get the schedule - it's a bit like Goblins. 'Saturday in theory but probably late' :D

tyr
2007-02-13, 01:22 AM
Hey, a thread on TOTQ! Maybe it'll get more popular now.

I don't think the magic-as-science thing is to avoid witchcraft. The author plays D&D and has Harry Potter ads on his site.

dr4Kan
2007-02-13, 11:25 AM
To be honest with you? It's because the author is an evangelical Christian and he's trying to weasel out of being seen as depicting witchcraft. But he writes a good story, all the same.

I kinda figured out the Christian thing when one of the characters began quoting Psalm 23 (I think it's that one anyways)...
And yes he does write a good story...

I don't think the magic-as-science thing is to avoid witchcraft. The author plays D&D and has Harry Potter ads on his site.

D&D is not witchcraft...It's just ...not....

Renegade Paladin
2007-02-14, 12:39 AM
What was I saying earlier about erratic? New one already.

The Geomancer
2007-02-14, 02:17 PM
I really like it. The whole religious aspect is kind of alien to me, but the characters are really good and it is a very fun read.

tyr
2007-02-14, 05:27 PM
I didn't mean D&D was witchcraft, I just meant that if he plays it he probably doesn't confuse standard garden-variety magic with actual satan-worship or whatever the usual complaint is, what with the spells and magic items and all.

My only complaint is the update schedule, which can be forgiven since the man's got like four other semi-regular comics, along with one other that he uses to get things off his chest. Tales of the Questor is the best one, of course.

Sage in the Playground
2007-02-18, 01:27 PM
I just finished the archives. This comic is great.

JKR
2007-02-19, 11:00 AM
Wow, that's really well done, and an awesome story.

Renegade Paladin
2007-02-22, 06:35 PM
RE: Latest one.

Where the heck did that come from? :smalleek:

Elliot Kane
2007-02-22, 06:48 PM
Not sure - but I bet it'll be interesting finding out :)

Renegade Paladin
2007-04-10, 07:58 PM
Well the finding out's happening slowly but surely. New comic today.

Ailurus
2007-04-15, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the recent thread-bump on this one, Renegade Paladin. Doubt I would have found out about it otherwise, and its easily going on my list of comics to keep checking for updates.

Renegade Paladin
2007-04-17, 02:33 AM
You're welcome. I try. Anyway, new one's up. And the plot sickens. Pun fully intended. :smalltongue:

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-04-17, 06:35 AM
Heh, anyone else think that the towns people blamed the Racoonians for the plague?

Gez
2007-04-17, 07:18 AM
I don't think the magic-as-science thing is to avoid witchcraft.

Oh, read this arc (http://www.rhjunior.com/totq/00426.html). This strip (http://www.rhjunior.com/totq/00431.html), in particular. You can also look at the opinions he professes here (http://www.rhjunior.com/HO/), it's quite consistent with the "thou shallt not allow a witch to live" attitude of evangelical Christians.

Elliot Kane
2007-04-17, 06:30 PM
Heh, anyone else think that the towns people blamed the Racoonians for the plague?

I have a suspicion you're right there, Mick.

Either way, I've got to say I never thought I would love the adventures of a cartoon animal, but there really is something unique about Quentyn and his world :)

sun_tzu
2007-04-18, 07:08 AM

It's a definite possibility. We know they weren't exactly popular with the Universalist Church (which looks so far like a take on the Catholic Church of the Dark Ages), and from the comments of the farmer's wife, human legends about racconans imply that they'll curse people at the slightest provocation (Sam also seemed to believe that).

I don't think the magic-as-science thing is to avoid witchcraft.
I don't think so either - the author clearly expressed (in another comic) the opinion that Harry Potter, for example, is harmless make-believe. I think the magic-as-science thing is there mostly because some people preffer for there to be a logical reason and system for everything in worlds they create (I know I've included some rationalization and system in every universe I've created that actually had magic in it).

Elliot Kane
2007-04-20, 09:27 PM
'Witch Rats' - I love it! :D

averagejoe
2007-04-20, 10:14 PM
Just checked this out. Good call. Solid story, often funny, well drawn. It's somewhat annoyingly naive at times, but that's the only complaint I can really bring against it.

Renegade Paladin
2007-04-23, 06:54 AM
Aaaaaand busted!

Renegade Paladin
2007-04-30, 12:56 AM
Huh. Interesting. I wonder where this is leading...

Elliot Kane
2007-04-30, 01:58 AM
I'm guessing the young lord has some kind of problem he figures Rac Conan magic can solve...

averagejoe
2007-04-30, 10:16 AM
Huh. Interesting. I wonder where this is leading...

Probably to a scary guy on a horse chasing him around. :smalltongue:

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-04-30, 10:19 AM
Heh, scary guy with the horse might be the very reason WHY no one goes to Killdevil hill!

Renegade Paladin
2007-06-08, 02:23 AM
And suddenly, I'm getting a Hoary Hunter vibe.

GolemsVoice
2007-06-14, 01:59 PM
I stumbled upon this thread and started to read the comic. I am not quite done yet, but it's a fun difference from the "make fun at [Insert anything like D&D for example]" which Rich does, and those "serious" webcomics with tragedy and black and white and whatnot. It has a solid story, is well drawn and fun to read. (I am not saying I don't like aforementioned types of webcomics)

The only thing thhat bugs me is the religious background and the anti-magic and witchcraft thing, but I won't start on this topic here.

Renegade Paladin
2007-06-15, 12:29 AM
Well, I think we know what was going on at the beginning of the current story arc now, with the horses chasing Quentyn.

Renegade Paladin
2007-07-13, 04:48 PM
Well, his rate of new comics is picking up; there's been at least three in the past week. Nice to see for a change, especially now that OotS is slowing down.

RHJunior
2007-07-14, 04:09 PM
Indeed I did make the Questor world "magic" into sci-fi "science." Or weird science, anyway.... precisely because of my Christianity, and my Christian values.

But don't assume that my moral and ethical decision was made out of some fearful, Jack-Chick-induced hysteria.

This is an issue that anyone closely acquainted with me can tell you was the product of long and troubling personal debate. I rolled the topic over in my mind for years. After all was said and done, one of the things I concluded was that the subtext of Tales of the Questor-- dovetailed with the Christian themes-- was <I>truth and faith, versus superstition and ignorance.</i> And that sticking a "real magic" system in there was incompatible with that.

In real life, superstition and ignorance are the stock in trade of Occultists, and always have been. Parlor tricks like trapdoors and voice-carrying tubes were part of the structural features of the royal magicians' chambers in ancient Egypt, and witches and pagan priestesses since time immemorial used hallucinogens and poisons to make people "see the spirits" (who always seemed to be in agreement with the witch's assessments, we note) and lure them into worshipping at their altars. They would half-kill the sick with lethal "cures" and potions , extort wealth and status from the people with their mummery and mystic threats, and even get innocent people put to death by fingering them as murderers with no more evidence than the "visions" they got from scattering bones and entrails on the floor, or swallowing a handful of mushrooms.
They were condemned in the Bible not because they had terrifying mystical powers, but because they were <I>poisonous deceivers.</i>

Having a Weird Science system that was mistaken by people for witchcraft is compatible with what everyone knows about human nature. Cargo Cults, medieval inventors and scholars accused of witchcraft, and the like are a part of human history.

But putting an overtly Christian Church down in a story right next to a working wizard's tower is to assert, even before you start, that everything the Church is going to say about this universe is going to be wrong. What the typical fantasy magic system says about God, nature, life, death, the soul, the afterlife, good, evil, and just generally how the universe functions as a whole is typically overtly or covertly contradictory to what Christianity asserts. And, if that magic system in the story WORKS..... then the church in the story is de facto shown up as false.

Think about it. How well would a Baptist paladin fit in D+D?

Generally the only reason fantasy writers these days put Christians or Christian equivalents into their story is so they can have something for the Wizards and unicorns to laugh at or debunk. Oh, those silly monotheists!

<I>Not that I'm bitter or anything....</i>

But I digress.

A major plot point of Tales of the Questor is that the Rac Cona Daimh were persecuted by other races... falsely accused of witchcraft. That balloon wouldn't have gone up if they had, after all, been using witchcraft anyway....
It's a lot easier to argue that something ISN'T witchcraft, than to try and argue a special exception for your own "good magic" (especially when it is, functionally, no different than any other pagan spirit-bothering.)

Plus, if you want to criticize <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_thinking">Magical Thinking</a> (the very bane of the age of Science and reason), having real magic (as opposed to science-mistaken-for-magic) ticking along in the background sort of botches the effort. (A hilarious example of this is when DC comics briefly had a team-up comic book series... between a professional occult debunker.... and the Spirit, <I>a genuine ghost.</i> Yet the Debunker never changed his stance on the supernatural.... and you thought Mulder and Scully were a preposterous pair!)
Maintaining a clear separation was important for story clarity and internal consistency.... and to avoid contradicting myself in the not so subtle points I was making.

averagejoe
2007-07-14, 04:37 PM
It's a shame these boards prohibit religious discussion, because this is a potentially deep issue that I'd like to discuss in a rational manner. Of course, knowing people, it probably wouldn't be handled in a rational manner; I can just hear the overstated outrage and irrational arguments right now, on both sides.

Anywho, aside from what the ideological issues might be, the comic itself is fairly impressive, which is what I primarily look at. I tend to be slightly resentful of authors who try to force ideas onto readers in general, whatever those ideas may be, but it is otherwise one of the better webcomics I've seen at all.

DracoDei
2007-07-14, 06:10 PM
So create a topic on Ralph's Forums and link to it from here... he doesn't mind Religious and Political debate if people are reasonably polite about it (in fact there are specific provisions made for it on those boards).

Gez
2007-07-15, 05:57 AM
Is it a coincidence or were the GITP forums suddenly advertised somewhere? It's amusing that you and Tauhid Bondia both registered and commented on the same day. :smallwink:

sobebop
2007-07-15, 07:47 AM
amusing...? its an open web based forum. the "advertisment" could very well have come from here, after all that is the point of the webcomics section.
is it not?

its pretty much how these things are set up to work. users from different forums are alerted to activity here concerning their community and they sign up and share ideas.

of course i sound like im trying to be an ***, not my intention... im a fan of comedy and humor, but i fail to see what is amusing here.

RHJunior
2007-07-15, 12:44 PM
Well, one of the fellows in my chatroom said "Hey, check it out, thread on Tales of the Questor in Giant in the Playground!" So I came over here, read the thread, said "hey, I'd like to comment" and signed up.

Sampi
2007-07-15, 01:11 PM
Well, welcome to the forums, and I'll take this opportunity to say I enjoy your comic greatly.

I am not bothered by the Christian content and themes in the comic, and indeed I find them to be well-written and interesting, even though they are not part of my own world view. However, they are a part of western culture, and that I can identify with easily. So, thank you for a nice comic. Only thing I'd hope for would be more regular updates - but everyone always wishes for those.

Elliot Kane
2007-07-15, 05:55 PM
Welcome to the forum :)

Got to say, I love your comic, and I'm normally totally allergic to 'cute talking animal' stories. There's just something about Quentyn that's... I dunno, he just seems more human than most humans, if that makes sense :)

Good writing'll get me every time :)

Unscrewed
2007-07-23, 09:52 AM
About the latest comic:
The 'instant flamethrower' trick is awesome.

Renegade Paladin
2007-08-08, 12:29 AM
RH, I think there's something I should point out, if you're still reading this. "Cold iron" certainly does exist; it just isn't anything special. The term refers to cold-forged iron, which is simply pounded into shape without the help of a hot forge to soften the metal.

averagejoe
2007-08-08, 02:13 AM
Lemuria, eh? that pretty much obligates me to mention everyone's favorite Lemurian chicken. :smallbiggrin:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c4/Virgil_Mighty_Max.png/180px-Virgil_Mighty_Max.png

DracoDei
2007-08-08, 03:46 AM
I almost remember that cartoon... "Fantastic Max" maybe?
I know the character pictured was trying to teach the young hero "Lemurian Hyper Calculus" (or something like that "Probablity calculus"?) by NOT telling him exactly where the interdimensional portals were... or some strange thing like that.

RHJunior
2007-08-10, 01:54 PM
Only in D+D.

IRL, the concept of "cold iron" was just a reference to the fact that iron is (due to its higher heat convection) cold to the touch (which probably mystified the first men to work with it. Tin, copper and bronze are a bit warmer to the touch.) "Cold iron" was just iron in general.

Of course, in the Questorverse I'm giving an entirely different explanation...

Renegade Paladin
2007-08-10, 10:07 PM
Actually, in D&D it is a different, special metal. The DMG says something about mined in veins deep underground, or some nonsense like that. :smallamused: Anyway, that's how I heard the term used by one of the blacksmiths I knew when I was in the SCA in college; if he was wrong about his craft I'd be very surprised.

And on a different note entirely, why do I get the feeling it's about to suck to be the good chambermaid?

averagejoe
2007-08-11, 12:30 AM
And on a different note entirely, why do I get the feeling it's about to suck to be the good chambermaid?

The ominous music?

Renegade Paladin
2007-08-21, 05:17 PM
"...and your father smelt of elderberries!"

:smallamused:

tomaO2
2007-08-22, 10:24 PM
I very much enjoyed this comic as well. I'm making it a regular read. Thank you for posting a link.

The Christianity threw me a bit. Yes, Jack Chick does come to mind but the way it's presented is extremely positive. So many people are strengthened in their actions by their faith and yet I don't see that show up much in many of the comics I read. Also, the nitty, gritty, unrealistic and destructive details are absent (like world being made in 7 days and the condemnation of non believers) with only the core message of "God" brought to the fore. It's so very rare to have the need for faith in a world where magic works. Or rather the not-magic of Lux. The angel/devil dynamic is usually very present in these sorts of settings. The gods take a much more hands on approach (usually the evil gods). People don't have to have faith because they KNOW the truth.

Here, it's different. A white stag in visions, a lock of hair turning white... Very hands off. There can be plenty of reasonable doubt to an ordinary person's mind that there is a God, you must have faith. Nothing really shows a smoking gun for a layperson. I like this. I found the chapter where the missionary goes to convert the alligator people to be very moving. He goes to preach the word of God to people that WANT to be converted. So many times they simply convert others whether or not those people wish it or not. He goes to preach and has nothing but his words to convince. No magic, no miracles, no tricks. Missionary work the way it was meant to be.

You write one good comic, RHJunior. I hope to keep reading you in the years ahead.

One thing I am confused on. Perhaps I didn't read carefully enough. The Racoons got their faith from the human religion but the human religion is anti raccon? Or are there several religions for the humans so the one shown was a different one? Surely the Racoons should have some sort of contact and good relations with the human believers of their faith, even if they are isolationist. Is there no Pope for this version of the religion?

averagejoe
2007-08-23, 01:20 PM
One thing I am confused on. Perhaps I didn't read carefully enough. The Racoons got their faith from the human religion but the human religion is anti raccon? Or are there several religions for the humans so the one shown was a different one? Surely the Racoons should have some sort of contact and good relations with the human believers of their faith, even if they are isolationist. Is there no Pope for this version of the religion?

The pope was always just for Catholics anyways. I would conjecture that the sects in this world aren't the same ones there.

But yeah, that's something I've sort-of wondered myself. I always remember having the impression that the humans converted the Rac Conans, but I can't remember any actual proof for that, so maybe my brain is just making it up.

Maxymiuk
2007-08-23, 02:22 PM
But yeah, that's something I've sort-of wondered myself. I always remember having the impression that the humans converted the Rac Conans, but I can't remember any actual proof for that, so maybe my brain is just making it up.

Linky (http://www.rhjunior.com/totq/00119.html)

There is at least one more comic that shows a "in ancient history" meeting between a priest and a Rac Conan, but I can't find it just now.

horseboy
2007-08-27, 01:19 PM
http://www.rhjunior.com/totq/00159.html

Nice to have a web comic I can show my nieces and not have their mother want to string me up over.

Gez
2007-10-26, 03:50 AM
http://www.rhjunior.com/totq/00496.html
Okay, I know that what is written is actually f L I cker, but that's not what I read everytime. The L and the I are far too close. :smalltongue:

DracoDei
2007-10-26, 07:06 AM
Two different denominations of human Christianity... one with some serious institutional failings (The Universalists I think) and one more clear thinking (The Sojourners I think).

BTW, the 7 day creation WOULD be part of the Rac Conan Diamh beliefs and as for "condemnation of the non-believers" well, most of them would agree that non-believers go to Hell... or is that not what you meant? The fact that they aren't trying to convert by the sword or other such stupidities is a sign of WISDOM, not any lack of what you call "destructive details". Only honest Faith can save, and that is NOT most effectively produced with trickery or violence! Not that the Rac Conan Diamh are perfect (see the Expansionist political stance), but as a rule they aren't prone to mixing up self-interest (even enlightened self-interest) with great religious imperatives.

Adumbration
2007-12-28, 07:53 AM
Just found about this webcomic, and read through the archives. I love it! It's actually one of the few webcomics I've read that I feel has a coherent, wellbuilt and thought-out world, instead of making it up on the fly as usually webcomics are done.

There's just something about Quentyn...

EDIT: Oh, and finally, someone is using Pratchettian fey. I think it's great.:smallbiggrin:

DracoDei
2008-01-04, 05:36 PM
I could be wrong but I think he is much more inspired by the original myths about the fae than by Prachett... pulling from the same source rather than pulling from another modern source.

Renegade Paladin
2008-05-15, 11:25 AM
Well. I've found myself greatly impressed with this latest story arc; it's rare to see the fey done so true to the original legends, not since D&D made them all nicey-nice. :smallyuk:

Aidan305
2008-05-15, 12:29 PM
Well. I've found myself greatly impressed with this latest story arc; it's rare to see the fey done so true to the original legends, not since Disney made them all nicey-nice. :smallyuk:Fixed

It is good to see proper sidhe, (or unsidhe in this case). Too often are they diminished from their origins.

Chronicled
2008-05-15, 06:57 PM
I've been reading this for a while, but didn't realize that we had a thread here. I am another reader who was initially wary due to the presence of anthropomorphic raccoons, but I'm especially glad that I stuck with it.

Renegade Paladin
2008-05-15, 08:38 PM
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v350/RenegadePaladin/Owned/nooowned.jpg

:smallbiggrin:

averagejoe
2008-05-16, 03:06 PM
I don't know that he was owned as much as he had a bad case of the hubris. Either way, evil has been properly smoted.

Renegade Paladin
2008-05-16, 05:16 PM
Actually, if Mr. Hayes is using the Scottish faerie courts as his model, the princeling is well and truly screwed. He broke the rules, when faeries, even the unseleighe, live and die by the rules. Oberon is not one to be trifled with, and crossing the White Stag is... yeah. You don't hunt the White Hart (or, presumably, it's chosen) with intent to actually kill it.

averagejoe
2008-05-16, 08:55 PM
For a quick change of topic, something's been bugging me about this comic. I've been meandering through some of the archives recently when I noticed that the two moons always seem to be crescent; and they actually seem to be crescent shaped. (http://www.rhjunior.com/totq/00256.html) Is this a mistake? The author has never struck me as one who would make those kinds of mistakes, as a lot of the things based on life seem pretty well researched, even considering that they're only loosely based, but at the same time it's a really odd thing to do, and it's an easy mistake to make.

GGfan
2008-05-16, 11:20 PM
Glad to see this thread's been resurrected! I haven't seen it for a while, so I thought it was dead or deleted or something...

About the moons... in the link you provided I think it's fairly obvious that there are two moons, one larger and orbiting farther out, and one smaller, orbiting inside the first one's orbit, and that the two are nearly perfectly aligned at this time. The intersecting crescents you see are due to the fact that part of the smaller moon is obscuring the bottom of the larger one.

Adumbration
2008-05-17, 12:20 AM
Heh. The new story developement has me all excited. :smallbiggrin:

averagejoe
2008-05-17, 01:07 AM
Glad to see this thread's been resurrected! I haven't seen it for a while, so I thought it was dead or deleted or something...

About the moons... in the link you provided I think it's fairly obvious that there are two moons, one larger and orbiting farther out, and one smaller, orbiting inside the first one's orbit, and that the two are nearly perfectly aligned at this time. The intersecting crescents you see are due to the fact that part of the smaller moon is obscuring the bottom of the larger one.

:smallredface: Ah, yes, of course. I naturally thought of them as the same size. Seems obvious now that you mention it.

lord_khaine
2008-05-17, 10:10 AM
i would defently recomend anyone with time to spare to read though the archives.

Adumbration
2008-05-17, 01:53 PM
i would defently recomend anyone with time to spare to read though the archives.

Jeah, it's definitely one of the best feel-good comics I've read. It kinda reminds me of my childhood stories... except that this can stand even reading it later, and it's still great. Something to do with original, but traditional fantasy.

Renegade Paladin
2008-05-21, 05:43 AM
New comic. And the schooling continues. :smallbiggrin:

Quxelopqr
2008-05-21, 09:13 PM
And after reading through the archives in a night I've found a new favorite webcomic to add to the list. I was almost upset when I ran out of comics to read. I don't think there's anything about the comic that I don't like.

This (http://www.rhjunior.com/totq/00213.html) is probably my favorite comic of the bunch, mostly because I love how well the Bible passage fits there.

Chronicled
2008-05-22, 02:02 AM
New comic. And the schooling continues. :smallbiggrin:

I'm quite eager to see what RHJ has planned for this arc's completion.

averagejoe
2008-05-25, 12:48 AM
Man, this is, like, the definition of a humiliation conga. The princeling just keeps getting more and more screwed with each strip.

Quentyn should get the current locations of all the artifacts he needs to find as one of his boons. Although, knowing him, he might just use all three of them to help the dutchy, or something. While I couldn't blame him per se, one really needs to help oneself at some point, and anyways, such absolute alturism tends to be an overadmired virture.

Adumbration
2008-05-26, 10:11 AM
Spoilered just in case.

... All right, is that latin, and does anyone know what it says?

EDIT: On a second glance, no, it doesn't look like it at all, I think.

nooblade
2008-05-26, 07:22 PM
Wow, awesome comic. I don't think I could've stopped reading if I wanted to.

There's just one thing I'm interested in: it's a little bit like Orson Scott Card's literary works (except for being in comic form). So it makes me wonder if the author is not an average Baptist or Evangelical or whatever and actually another Mormon?

It's not like it would change anything about the comic, I'm just curious is all. Ever since Card came around it seems like a particular kind of hero was his "domain".

I remember in the first few comics, I was worried it would just be another sad protagonist story.

The religious content was definitely a brave choice! Congratulations on your work.

averagejoe
2008-05-26, 08:25 PM
How's it like Card's works? What kind of hero is Card's domain? It seems like Card's trademark is people who spend a bunch of time analyzing other character's motives in depth ad nauseum, and Quentyn doesn't really do that.

nooblade
2008-05-26, 10:31 PM
How's it like Card's works? What kind of hero is Card's domain? It seems like Card's trademark is people who spend a bunch of time analyzing other character's motives in depth ad nauseum, and Quentyn doesn't really do that.

That's true. It's been a while since I read one and I usually skimmed over those parts. Thinking back, I guess Speaker for the Dead was famous for it.

But he also has the story with religious undertones and the hero who is dealing with situations like this. Some kind of mix between instinctive action and careful thought.

I don't know if I'm explaining it right, I just get that idea that they're similar.

Oh, and I saw the post in those forums about Lux-use physics, that made me happy. :smallsmile:

Renegade Paladin
2008-05-28, 11:57 AM
It's not Latin, and no one who knows what Latin looks like would even begin to think it was. :smalltongue: It's Pig-Elvish, for whatever reason. "Let all debts and favors owed to you be rendered null and void." Ouch. :smallamused:

VariaVespasa
2008-05-28, 09:47 PM
I just found this webcomic thanks to the necromancy of this thread. Read through the entire archives in 2 nights and royally screwed up my sleep from staying up late to do so. :P Added it to my favorites. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

Obviously I'm new to the strip so one question- how often does it update? I didnt see that listed anywhere obvious and the strips themselves are merely numbered, not dated.

Renegade Paladin
2008-05-30, 01:33 AM
Random, but usually averages about two a week. It's hard to predict when there'll be a new one.

Renegade Paladin
2008-05-30, 01:15 PM
"Princeling Dolan, let all that you have taken by force or guile be returned unharmed to this duchy."

Suicide Junkie
2008-05-30, 01:45 PM
"Princeling Dolan, let all that you have taken by force or guile be returned unharmed to this duchy."Say, would that include things that he did not take from the Duchy?

IE: To the duchy, goes everything he took from anybody.

Renegade Paladin
2008-05-30, 02:45 PM
I doubt it; you can't return things to a place they've never been.

Gez
2008-05-30, 02:56 PM
Not that airtight this one. Whether something has been taken by guile or by contractual agreement is open to interpretation, especially for a fey.

Suicide Junkie
2008-05-30, 04:25 PM
Yeah, the "return" bit ruins it.

Rion
2008-05-31, 02:44 AM
But that's only in english. He said the request in a specific language (can't remember the name. Latin?) where what you say can't have multiple meanings. I think he explained it in a ealier strip.

Gez
2008-05-31, 05:04 AM
But that's only in english. He said the request in a specific language (can't remember the name. Latin?) where what you say can't have multiple meanings. I think he explained it in a ealier strip.

It's definitely not latin, though it is built like pig latin. Fiay ouyay etgay hatway Iay eanmay.

Renegade Paladin
2008-05-31, 09:37 AM
As I said ten posts ago, that's not Latin and doesn't even begin to remotely resemble Latin. He's using Pig Elvish. Don't ask me why.

Rion
2008-05-31, 01:00 PM
I know it's not Latin, but didn't Quentyn say, some time ago, that if you make your demand (or request) in Latin the Fey couldn't twist it?

Gez
2008-05-31, 02:49 PM
I know it's not Latin, but didn't Quentyn say, some time ago, that if you make your demand (or request) in Latin the Fey couldn't twist it?

There (http://www.rhjunior.com/totq/00473.html). Because Latin is a dead language so it's unambiguous... I'm really not convinced by this explanation, honestly.

Renegade Paladin
2008-05-31, 02:54 PM
Yes, and the ritual uninviting he had Duke Sturmhold do was in Latin. I have no idea why he isn't using it now, except possibly to make translating easier on his readers.

Chronicled
2008-06-10, 09:49 PM
Whoo! After a week-ish long break, another update!

Hey, Renegade Paladin, if you were going to pick a D&D class (or heck, a gestalt combo even) for Quentyn, what would your first pick be?

Renegade Paladin
2008-06-12, 06:05 PM
Yeah, Mr. Hayes has taken on a second job, so the comic updates are going to slow down a bit.

And you know, I don't really know. The Lux is a bit of a curveball, in how it seems to be a racial ability rather than a class feature. I'm tempted to say rogue, but there are too many things there that don't fit and some that should be but aren't. Perhaps a ranger/rogue hybrid of some kind. And then there's Wildcard.

Whatever else Wildcard may be, it's incredibly powerful. I'd even be tempted to call it an item familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) if we were forced to define this in D&D game terms. Possibly either a legendary or legacy weapon, but the bond pretty clearly says item familiar.

All in all, like most fantasy that isn't actually based on a campaign setting for the game, it's hard to nail down using the game's rules.

averagejoe
2008-06-12, 07:08 PM
The thing about Quentyn is that he mostly uses cleverness instead of super-racconan feats. So, excepting any homebrew lux-using classes (and I too think it would be more of a racial ability, and anyways Quentyn is a relatively weak lux user, so a class might be inappropriate anyways) he might as well be an expert as a rogue. I mean, he has weapon proficiencies, and is knowledgeable, but he isn't especially good at anything. He's more of an NPC class played by a clever player who has innapropriate magic items for his level.

Chronicled
2008-06-15, 11:41 PM
Yeah, Mr. Hayes has taken on a second job, so the comic updates are going to slow down a bit.

And you know, I don't really know. The Lux is a bit of a curveball, in how it seems to be a racial ability rather than a class feature. I'm tempted to say rogue, but there are too many things there that don't fit and some that should be but aren't. Perhaps a ranger/rogue hybrid of some kind. And then there's Wildcard.

Whatever else Wildcard may be, it's incredibly powerful. I'd even be tempted to call it an item familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) if we were forced to define this in D&D game terms. Possibly either a legendary or legacy weapon, but the bond pretty clearly says item familiar.

All in all, like most fantasy that isn't actually based on a campaign setting for the game, it's hard to nail down using the game's rules.

The thing about Quentyn is that he mostly uses cleverness instead of super-racconan feats. So, excepting any homebrew lux-using classes (and I too think it would be more of a racial ability, and anyways Quentyn is a relatively weak lux user, so a class might be inappropriate anyways) he might as well be an expert as a rogue. I mean, he has weapon proficiencies, and is knowledgeable, but he isn't especially good at anything. He's more of an NPC class played by a clever player who has innapropriate magic items for his level.

The initial answer I had for my own question was "Factotum," but I think that the two of you answered it far better.

For some reason, I think that the "Joe Wood" commoner campaign (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=763260) from the Wizards boards is an appropriate mention here.

Renegade Paladin
2008-06-24, 03:36 PM
Heh. Check out his site's front page. :smallbiggrin:

averagejoe
2008-06-24, 07:21 PM
Space adventures. Awsome.

Renegade Paladin
2008-06-24, 08:04 PM
Yeah, but only when his loyal fans have managed to cough up $500. :smalltongue:

Renegade Paladin
2008-06-27, 04:12 PM
Fun. I wonder where they'll land.

Renegade Paladin
2008-07-05, 11:59 AM
Yeah, but only when his loyal fans have managed to cough up $500. :smalltongue:
And praise be, someone paid up. (http://www.rhjunior.com/QQSR/00002.html) :smallbiggrin:

averagejoe
2008-07-05, 12:05 PM
I'm just excited because someone finally got the shuttle reentry correct.

Renegade Paladin
2008-07-22, 12:20 PM
The third boon: "Dolan, Princeling of the Unseleighe Fey, wicked enemy of mortal men, depart now, you and all your house beneath you, harming none, never to hunt this plane again."

Ouch.

Renegade Paladin
2008-08-01, 09:12 PM
Lucky little furry bastard. :smalltongue:

Adumbration
2008-08-05, 02:08 AM
Fae - their kisses taste like honeyed milk.

Lucky furry little bastard... Likely it was a french kiss too.

Themrys
2012-03-20, 04:17 PM
There (http://www.rhjunior.com/totq/00473.html). Because Latin is a dead language so it's unambiguous... I'm really not convinced by this explanation, honestly.

Latin is, in fact, not unambigious at all. I remember that the words for "law" and "soup" or something like that are the same.

I read the comic, and while I liked it most of the time, there are some things I don't like. Such as the lazyness that shows in the Crystal Dragon Jesus religion. It's a fantasy world, why are they Christians? If I remember correctly, not even C.S. Lewis directly quoted the Bible in the Narnia novels. At least not that much of it.

Then...the author obviously doesn't want his fantasy race to look sexist, but fails. He says women have jobs. But in what jobs do we actually see women? Waitress is the only I can recall.
(I won't comment on the story arc about that girl who complains that it's the other women who make everything so hard for her.)
The female characters who actually do something look as if he has thrown them in after someone mentioned the lack of females. They never have an agenda of their own. The elf girl could have been looking for a way to get to live longer...but no...she meets Quentyn and follows him.

And it gets annoying how many girls Quentyn gets to kiss just so he looks better. It's this "women as trophies" theme...I don't think the author is aware of what he's implying. He tells the Rac Cona are not sexist, but he shows that they are.

Gez
2012-03-20, 04:54 PM
Holy four year bump, Batman! People still read this comic? I had happily forgotten its existence.

Latin is, in fact, not unambigious at all. I remember that the words for "law" and "soup" or something like that are the same.
"I'm really not convinced" was a polite way to "R. H. Junior is full of boop". :smalltongue:

I don't think the author is aware of what he's implying. He tells the Rac Cona are not sexist, but he shows that they are.

Mookie, R.H. Junior, twins separated at birth?

Well, at least RHJ's art looks like that of a talented kid; whereas Mookie's look like... Well, whatever it looks like, talented doesn't describe it.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-31, 07:34 AM
I think the difference is between public standards and private standards. Our little anthros may publicly abhor sexism, but they still haven't worked out actually applying it completely to day to day lives.
As for the comic itself as a whole, expressive art that serves both action, comedy, and drama equally well, at least as long as he sticks to Anthros, with fantastic characters that are a hoot to read and easy to care about, and some interesting twists on standard tropes.
While it updates slowly, oh, so, slowly, it's one of those comics that is actually worth re-reading from time to time, so it's abyssal update "schedule" is not as bad as it could be.

Imgran
2012-04-02, 10:51 AM
There's just one thing I'm interested in: it's a little bit like Orson Scott Card's literary works (except for being in comic form). So it makes me wonder if the author is not an average Baptist or Evangelical or whatever and actually another Mormon?

Speaking as Mormon?

Ralph is not a Mormon. In his forums he's said doesn't believe they're part of the Christian family. Which is cool, it's his opinion and he's entitled to it. He's the one who's going to have to answer for it if he's wrong. And he has the rare genius of being able to have an opinion without letting it dominate his entire mindset. I'm still working on that one.

I believe he's a Baptist, and despite some of the more... unorthotox teachings of the LDS church, the Baptists and the Mormons are closer in theology and practical belief than the Baptists like to admit. Stopping here to avoid starting a religious argument. :smallcool:

Imgran
2012-04-02, 10:54 AM
EDIT: Nevermind, I'm wrong.

Imgran
2012-04-02, 10:58 AM
Hey, Renegade Paladin, if you were going to pick a D&D class (or heck, a gestalt combo even) for Quentyn, what would your first pick be?

"Ranger" seems to be the natural choice IMHO. He gets by on lore and guile rather than brawn, combines a little magical ability with a variety of combat skills, and has strong woods lore.

Imgran
2012-04-02, 11:26 AM
I read the comic, and while I liked it most of the time, there are some things I don't like. Such as the lazyness that shows in the Crystal Dragon Jesus religion. It's a fantasy world, why are they Christians? If I remember correctly, not even C.S. Lewis directly quoted the Bible in the Narnia novels. At least not that much of it.

Isn't that a bit chauvenistic? I thought that Ralph's synthesis of religion into a fantasy world was pretty innovative. Not "crystal dragon jesus" in any sense of the word. In fact Luxcraft is what it is specifically to avert that trope.

Also, "yeshu" is just a repronunciation of the original Hebrew characters that the Romans pronounced as "Jesus." (or more correctly, as the Romans pronounced as Iesus and later generations screwed that up as the language shifted). Pretty unabashedly direct if you've taken any kind of religious instruction. Or ever watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and had a good memory.

So this isn't crystal dragon jesus, as much as an open Christian asserting that there's room for only very slightly expied Christianity in a fantasy setting and making a pretty danged good case.

Then...the author obviously doesn't want his fantasy race to look sexist, but fails. He says women have jobs. But in what jobs do we actually see women? Waitress is the only I can recall.

You mean besides the portrait artist working for the Fact and Opinion, and Kestrel herself

Meh. There's nothing sexist about a woman working as a traditional female role -- as long as she had the right to pursue another interest, and just went where she wanted to go instead. Sometimes these stories are so self conscious about appearing sexist that they wind up ignoring the very real physical and physiological differences between men and women to the point that it borders on the ridiculous.

(I won't comment on the story arc about that girl who complains that it's the other women who make everything so hard for her.)

Why not? That's a real thing. Several women in Ralph's forum have commented on how much Kestrel's experience matched their own.

The female characters who actually do something look as if he has thrown them in after someone mentioned the lack of females.

Define "actually do something."

We've seen women fight (Lady Millfolk, Sam, Maid Ellen)

We've certainly seen women in positions of power and authority (Lady Rose)

We've also seen women defy authority for the right cause (Elizabeth).

Heck, half the trouble Q got into in his last arc was because he ignored Sam, and she still saved his bacon with that distracting fire from the clifftop. so you tell me what's lacking?

Is the problem that the Racs are traditional? That females are doing these things in a manner that one might expect of a traditional female? If so, why is that a problem? Why is the fact that women have every right to do stuff but usually choose not to a big deal when the ones that do choose differently are afforded every right to do so? That reflects reality to a certain extent.

They never have an agenda of their own.

That is BS. At least Lady Rose, Nessie, Lady Millfolk's Mother, Maid Ellen, Sam, and Elizabeth, had and acted on plot-significant agendas over the course of the story. Not to mention the female Fae.

The elf girl could have been looking for a way to get to live longer...but no...she meets Quentyn and follows him.

That elf girl would have died alone in the forest without the woods lore Q was using to provide food and fire. Not because she was a dumb girl either -- she just had never been in a position to learn how to really survive in the forest. Sam has returned that favor many times over. She earns her keep on Q's team. Right now the "saving life" count is Sam 2, Questor 2.

Also, the Crucible of the Elven has, as a matter of canon, been lost and unrecoverable for several centuries. Searching for a centuries-lost magical artifact with no training, equipment or any particular skill, and with no way to acquire any of the three, is a literal fool's errand. Questing for the chalice is an occupation suited for better prepared and better equipped warriors than one little street rat elf.

Besides. Quentyn is searching for magical artifacts anyway. Statistically she stands a better chance of running into the magical artifact that happens to be the Crucible if she sticks with him. Especially because he'll help her survive.

And it gets annoying how many girls Quentyn gets to kiss just so he looks better.

The count thus far stands at two. Meribeth the tavern waitress, and Azure, the latter of which wasn't really his idea. Plus an almost-kiss of Kestrel.

It's this "women as trophies" theme...I don't think the author is aware of what he's implying. He tells the Rac Cona are not sexist, but he shows that they are.

Not to be completely insensitive here, but what the hell are you talking about?

Ravens_cry
2012-04-02, 05:33 PM
My peeves on his work have been more the political than religious angle, which he thankfully keeps out of this particular comic for the most part.
And even if you disagree with that, I think there is enough excellent characterization, kick tail action, as well as true human moments to make this a worthwhile read.
Sure, it's unconventional, and there is parts even I disagree with, but I still enjoy it immensely.

Imgran
2012-04-03, 09:34 AM
Heh. Ralph snuck something by me for 5 or 6 readings through the archives.

http://www.rhjunior.com/totq/00162.html

Check out the middle panel. Read the whole thing.

Not quite as mainstream Christian conservative as we thought, mmm?

Aidan305
2012-04-03, 09:51 AM
Heh. Ralph snuck something by me for 5 or 6 readings through the archives.

http://www.rhjunior.com/totq/00162.html

Check out the middle panel. Read the whole thing.

Not quite as mainstream Christian conservative as we thought, mmm?

I don't get it. Are you talking about the hemp seed bread?

Imgran
2012-04-03, 10:50 AM
Pretty much, yeah. Not exactly typical, is it?

Aidan305
2012-04-03, 12:22 PM
Pretty much, yeah. Not exactly typical, is it?

Fairly common in early societies actually. Hemp was one of the first domesticated plants for pretty much this purpose as well as the multitude of other uses it has.

Imgran
2012-04-03, 07:53 PM
What I meant was, it doesn't fit the stereotype people keep trying to squeeze Ralph into.

This is deviating rather more into politics than is probably legal here so I'll leave it at that.

Ravens_cry
2012-04-03, 08:47 PM
People are complex. And though he sometimes squeezes in a bit too much politics of his own, I generally like his work and this comic in particular. One little throwaway detail that I might use someday in a campaign was the idea of Orc "Merchant clans", that just seemed so right and fitting.

averagejoe
2012-04-06, 07:32 PM
The Mod They Call Me: Thread necromancy.

Also, please note that the discussion of real world religion and politics are both against the forum rules.