PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Non-smitey good god?

Balor01
2014-04-02, 09:38 AM
Which gods in DnD that are good are most non-smitey? More "help the poor" then "smite the wicked"?

thanks

hamishspence
2014-04-02, 09:59 AM
Pelor and Ehlonna, in the PHB.

Most of the deities in BoED.

Ilmater especially, in the Forgotten Realms.

Airk
2014-04-02, 10:53 AM
It's also worth noting that at the end of the day, not everyone worships a god the same way. Okay, fine, if your God's core tenet is "smite evil" then yeah, you're probably not going to be part of a pacifistic order of beer brewing monks, but most Good gods as written tend to at LEAST have some sort of "protect the weak" bit built in which can easily be interpreted through creative theology as "feed the poor".

If you can't find a god you really want, just discuss with your GM about being part of a splinter sect or something.

Scots Dragon
2014-04-02, 11:22 AM
Forgotten Realms: Ilmater, Eldath, Selūne, Milil, Chauntea, Deneir, Lathander, Lliira, Sune, Tymora, Eilistraee, Berronar Truesilver, Dugmaren Brightmantle, Marthammor Duin, Sharindlar, Thard Harr, Aerdrie Faenya, Deep Sashelas, Hanali Celanil, Labelas Enoreth, Rillifane Rallathil, Sehanine Moonbow, Baervan Wildwanderer, Baravar Cloakshadow, Garl Glittergold, Segojan Earthcaller, Cyrrollalee, Yondalla, Lurue, Nobanion, Sharess, Shialllia, Valkur

Pathfinder Chronicles: Sarenrae, Desna, Shelyn

The Oni
2014-04-02, 01:23 PM
Pathfinder Chronicles: Sarenrae, Desna, Shelyn

Actually, Sarenrae comes across as more than a bit smitey. Wiki sez: "Yet there are those who have no interest in redemption, who glory in slaughter and death. From the remorseless evil of the undead and fiends to the cruelties born in the hearts of mortals, Sarenrae's doctrines preach swift justice delivered by the scimitar's edge."

Desna and Shelyn aren't very smitey, though.

Daer
2014-04-02, 01:51 PM
perhaps bit stretching but Cayden "accidental god" Cailean. Chaotic good god of freedom,drinking and bravery.

BWR
2014-04-02, 06:37 PM
Dragonlance: Mishakal, Branchala, Solinari, Majere, Paladine (yes, he was patron of the Knights of Solamnia which are pretty smitey, but he was more about helping other people and promoting good rather than destroying evil),

Mystaran Immortals (count as gods for most purposes): Djaea, Alphatia, Koryis, Benekander, Chardastes, Ka, Ordana, Tiresias, (probably a few more)

Various pantheons found in Planescape (and assumptions about how smitey they are based on portfolio):Nanna-sin, Utu, Belenus, Brigantia, Daghda, Diancecht, Goibhniu, Oghma, Bast, Geb, Isis, Nephthys, Nut, Shu, Demeter, Iallanis, Stronmaus, Jazirian, Chih-nii, Fu Hsing, Kuan Yin, Kuan-ti, Shang-ti, Brihaspati, Puchan, Vishnu, Inari, O-Kuni-Nushi,

Dorian Gray
2014-04-02, 06:43 PM

There are significant doubts about Pelor's benevolence... (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1115741)
Just thought I'd toss that out there. :smallbiggrin:

Soarel
2014-04-02, 07:13 PM
Which gods in DnD that are good are most non-smitey? More "help the poor" then "smite the wicked"?

thanks

In basic D&D, Pelor is probably the best choice, but the whole Burning Hate theory, plus the fact some people think he's actually a xenophobic god called Zarus change that. Ignore those and you're fine.

Now as for Pathfinder deities, the two you might like are Erastil (basically a halfling god, since he's a pastoral nature god, LG but not smitey), and Cayden Cailean (drunken god of bravery, and my personal favorite). Desna is also a good one.

Nerd-o-rama
2014-04-02, 08:53 PM
For the sake of completion in other campaign settings, most of Eberron's Sovereign Host are non-Smitey: Arawai (NG god of agriculture), Boldrei (LG god of community), Olladra (NG god of good fortune), and Onatar (NG god of smiths and craftsmen) all qualify. Their siblings, Dol Dorn and Dol Arrah, however, are the LG and CG war gods of the setting. The neutral Sovereigns (Aureon, Balinor, and Kol Korran) are all more or less benevolent and only Balinor approaches being martial, as well.

And of course the other major religions of the setting are generally either evil, agnostic, or the Church of the Silver Flame, which seems to have "Smite Evil" as its first commandment.

LibraryOgre
2014-04-03, 10:55 AM

Ilmater, and Eldath.

Socksy
2014-04-03, 11:52 AM
Garl Glittergold, Corellon Latherain, Yondalla... Pretty much any good God in charge of a species puts "protect and help (species)" first. Only exception I can think of is Bahamut, but dragons generally don't need help and protection.

BWR
2014-04-03, 01:13 PM
I excluded 'protect' gods from my list because proteting tends to include smiting enemies more than 'art' gods.

Red Fel
2014-04-03, 02:57 PM
Garl Glittergold, Corellon Latherain, Yondalla... Pretty much any good God in charge of a species puts "protect and help (species)" first. Only exception I can think of is Bahamut, but dragons generally don't need help and protection.

I'll agree with Garl and Yondalla, but Corellon has a bit of a reputation... I think Lolth and Gruumsh would take issue with him being described as "non-smitey." I even think that one archer of his would take issue - you know, the one he shot through the heart for being confident in herself, and then banished her soul beyond time and space?

Dude's got some disproportionate retribution issues, is all I'm saying.

Also, doesn't Yondalla have that dark si-

The author of this post has not been attacked and captured by halfling operatives. Yondalla has no dark alter ego. Be about your business.

Devils_Advocate
2014-04-04, 12:43 AM
In Greyhawk, Rao, god of peace. Delleb certainly isn't a violent deity either, being pretty much the nerd gods of nerds. Let's see... Lirr, Lydia, Uvot... ooh! Very much Zodal in particular. I'm glad that I skimmed all the way through the Living Greyhawk Deities PDF (http://www.wizards.com/rpga/downloads/LG_Deities.zip). :) Perhaps you should do the same!

Anyone else whose portfolio includes "Mercy" is probably a good bet, too. Evidently that includes the giant goddess Iallanis. Go fig.

Pelor isn't non-smitey at all. He doesn't help the needy instead of fighting the wicked, he's very much a "Why not both?" sort o' dude, although he used to be more gentle. Doesn't mean he isn't unusually concerned with helping the needy, but still.

A significant issue is of course distinguishing deities actually described as being benevolent in any particular way from those seemingly classified as good-aligned for gits and shiggles. The latter may of course be assumed to be benevolent in some fashion, but ain't anythin' to say that that doesn't primarily involve whackin' some cruel mofos, know what I'm sayin'?

Unless, of course, there is something that specifically says that. But being characterized as especially peaceful is certainly the exception.

Edit: Just noticed that an updated version of that PDF with more deity descriptions was supposed to "be released in a few days" in 2005, but apparently never was.

Kind of amusing at first, but on reflection, kind of disappointing, too. I want moar lore, and I want it conveniently compiled into a list (http://paulgraham.com/nthings.html) for me!

Oh well.

Dorian Gray
2014-04-04, 02:12 AM
I think that, ironically, the neutral gods are less likely to get feisty with the thunderbolts. Obad-Hai certainly doesn't bother anyone, and Boccob doesn't even talk to his priests.
Aside from them, a couple of the Touv gods/goddesses are fairly peaceful, and Sune (and really most love divinities) aren't likely to get smity unless romance is on the line.