PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Alchemy

PaucaTerrorem
2014-04-02, 11:38 AM
Just saw in another thread that Alchemy in 3.5 is magic based. I always assumed it was the magic-handicapped man's magic. Am I wrong here?

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-02, 11:50 AM
For some reason that is afaik never explained you need to be a spellcaster to craft alchemical items. They can be used by anyone though.

PaucaTerrorem
2014-04-02, 11:53 AM
But isn't it handled under Craft(Alchemy)?

JBarca
2014-04-02, 12:02 PM
It is. But
"To make an item using Craft (alchemy), you must have alchemical equipment and be a spellcaster."
From the SRD

ShurikVch
2014-04-02, 12:07 PM
I always assumed it was the magic-handicapped man's magic. Am I wrong here?Before the 3.5 it was exactly like this, even in 3.0. Say, in the adventure "Into the Dragon's Lair" nearly all goblins alchemists were commoners with ranks in Alchemy.
In 3.5 Alchemy was incorporated into Craft, became Craft (Alchemy).
Unfortunately, in the table all alchemical stuff was marked with 1
And it mean
1 You must be a spellcaster to craft any of these items.
What? :smalleek: Just - what?! :smallfurious:
Alchemical items are not magical.
Their production don't include any actual casting
They are fully functional in the AMF. (Damn it, you can craft them in the AMF!)
Why the spellcaster requirement? "Because mundanes shouldn't have any nice stuff"(c) :smallsigh:

PaucaTerrorem
2014-04-02, 12:12 PM
That's poopy.

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-02, 12:18 PM
Note, there is a feat that grants a few magical cantrips, so if you REALLY want to craft alchemy as a non-casting class, it is possible.

Chronos
2014-04-02, 12:19 PM
That said, it's really easy to houserule away that requirement.

ShurikVch
2014-04-02, 12:38 PM
Note, there is a feat that grants a few magical cantrips, so if you REALLY want to craft alchemy as a non-casting class, it is possible.
Feat Magical Training can be a bit restrictive, because it required REGION: Halruaa, (http://dndtools.eu/feats/forgotten-realms-campaign-setting--19/magical-training--1833/) (FRCS) or "elf (Evereska or Evermeet) or human (Halruaa or Nimbral) (http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-guide-to-faerun--22/magical-training--1834/)" (PGF).
If SLA user can count as spellcaster, Innate Magic (Dr #324, required Int 3+, Cha 11+ and 1st level) can give you one

Inevitability
2014-04-02, 12:42 PM
I'm pretty sure the FRCS version of the feat is not legal, as there is a 3.5 version of the same feat. So... only humans and elves (and half-elves) can take it, if I'm not mistaken.