PDA

View Full Version : [Monster] Grant not the steed an ignoble death!

Saithis Bladewing
2007-02-04, 07:44 PM
Betrayed One
Size/Type: Large Undead (Incorporeal)
Hit Dice: 4d12 (26 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armour Class: 14 (+4 dex, +1 deflection, -1 size), touch 14, flat-footed 10
Base Attack/Grapple: +2
Attack: Incorporeal touch +6 melee (1d4 plus 1d3 wisdom damage)
Full Attack: Incorporeal touch +6 melee (1d4 plus 1d3 wisdom damage)
Space/Reach: 10 ft. (long)/5 ft.
Special Attacks: Wisdom drain, hatred of the rider.
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., incorporeal traits, undead traits, unnatural aura.
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +4
Abilities: Str Ø, Dex 18, Con Ø, Int 2, Wis 11, Cha 10
Skills: Hide +11
Feats: Improved Initiative, Dodge
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 5-10 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: --

Sir Bedevere grunted in pain as he landed heavily upon his rear, a sharp pain shooting up his back. His horse had reared and thrown him free of his saddle, and now fled from the road, ignoring its master's cry. Pulling himself up in a clank of metal plates, he drew his long blade and stared down the strange sight - an equine figure in the road, difficult to make out but visible enough. Yet its eyes...blood red, they stared at him, glowing with unholy rage. The hairs on Bedevere's neck stood upon end, but he gritted his teeth and stood his ground. The dark horse reared and let out an echoey, distant neigh, charging towards him. It wasn't until it was almost upon him that Bedevere realised he could see straight through the beast...

Not all ghosts and spirits are humanoids dissatisfied with their death or torn by a dark presence. There are some who would defy the law of nature and return to exact vengeance. Betrayed Ones are the spirits of mounts who died in battle - regardless of their shape or size, their form is twisted and mutated to a roughly horse-sized mockery of its former self, with glowing red eyes that stare even if the previous mount had no eyes at all. Their primitive mind barely realises that it has died, and does not understand why it has not moved on, but it knows one thing - anger at those who rode it to its death.

Combat
Betrayed Ones are obsessed with the destruction of their former masters and attack any living non-animal/magical beast they encounter. If they encounter a humanoid using another creature as a mount, they will fly into a rage and attack the rider (but not the mount) until they or it is dead, pursuing it relentlessly regardless of what is in the way. They are fearless and never flee from battle even when it seems hopeless and they strike out with whatever limbs or natural attacks they had, their incorporeal form passing right through and sapping the mental fortitude of any unfortunate traveler to encounter them.

Unnatural Aura (Su):
Animals, whether wild or domesticated, can sense the unnatural presence of a Betrayed One at a distance of 30 feet. They will not willingly approach nearer than that and panic if forced to do so; they remain panicked as long as they are within that range.

Wisdom Drain (Su):
A Betrayed One causes 1d3 points of temporary Wisdom drain each time it hits with its incorporeal touch attack. On each such successful attack, it gains 5 temporary hit points. The wisdom damage can be negated by a successful DC 12 fortitude save (charisma-based).

Hatred of the Rider (Ex):
A Betrayed One who sees a creature riding an animal will fly into a fury and gains a +4 bonus to attack and damage against the rider, but cannot attack any other foe until the rider is dead or out of visual range.

celtois
2007-02-04, 08:03 PM
that looks Interesting I'd hate to run into one of those but are you sure its
Only CR 3

Saithis Bladewing
2007-02-04, 08:04 PM
It would need to have its CR tested to be sure, but the formulas I've used in the past say place its CR at about 3.3, rounded down to 3.

Edit: Just noticed a clarification error - it should be temporary wisdom drain, not permanent.

celtois
2007-02-04, 08:18 PM
that makes more sense permanent seemed a little powerful for CR 3

Saithis Bladewing
2007-02-04, 08:19 PM
Yeah, I'll agree with you there. I wouldn't be so cruel as to inflict permanent drains on a level 3 party. Yet. :P

Ravens_Wing
2007-02-04, 10:36 PM
That is awsome I could use that in my campaign. My party just lost some of their horses to a hydra. bringing them back to haunt their former owners would be evil...

Eighth_Seraph
2007-02-04, 10:52 PM
And thus the perfect thing for a DM to do, assuming it fits your setting. Go for it!

*ker-thumbs up!*

Saithis Bladewing
2007-02-04, 10:55 PM
That is awsome I could use that in my campaign. My party just lost some of their horses to a hydra. bringing them back to haunt their former owners would be evil...

Sounds like an awesome plan to me. That's exactly the kind of thing this creature is designed for. ;D

Icewalker
2007-02-04, 11:46 PM
I like it. Evil things that annoy your players is the entire point of DMing! woo! I'd totally use it, but none of my players have mounts, yet at least.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-02-05, 12:39 AM
It doesn't need weapon finesse. Incorporeal creatures without strength scores automatically use Dex for attack rolls.

magic8BALL
2007-02-05, 09:04 AM
Evil things that annoy your players is the entire point of DMing!

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh...

hmmm... now to convince the group that they need horses, kill these horses off, then bring them back to attack the party... I wonder how many cycles I can go through before the group is scared to obtain any sort of animal..?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-02-05, 11:59 AM
*grins*

Love the concept for these beasties. These definetely have a place in most games, especially for adventurers on the road.

Not sure that it doesn't sound more like a template however.

Needs some things adjusted crunch-wise...

Initiative: +8
Initiative is always equal to dexterity modifier, so should be +4. Could replace Weapon Finesse with Improved Initiative.

Speed: 50 ft.
(10 squares)

Armour Class: 14 (+4 dex, +1 deflection, -1 size)
Need to mention the touch and flat-footed AC:
Armour Class: 14 (+4 dex, +1 deflection, -1 size), touch 14, flat-footed 10

Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., incorporeal traits, undead traits, unnatural aura.
Unnatural aura should be in Special Attacks.

Saves: Fort -, Ref +5, Will +4
Fort is +1.

Wisdom Drain (Su):
A Betrayed One causes 1d3 points of temporary Wisdom drain each time it hits with its incorporeal touch attack. On each such successful attack, it gains 5 temporary hit points. The wisdom damage can be negated by a successful DC 10 fortitude save.
Need to mention what the save DC is based off of. As DC's are 10 + half creature's HD + key ability modifier the save should be at least 12, especially as these type of things are normally Charisma-based.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-02-05, 11:53 PM
I was waiting for someone to actually go through it with a rake and sort out the debris from the sand. The problem with me for making it a template would be the fact that you have to then specify what can actually become this template...not all animals are mounts, and not all mounts are animals. Making it a universal creature is just easier for me to do, and I'm crap with templates anyway. ;)

I think when I put in the initiative modifier, I meant to put Improved Initiative as a feat and forgot to. That'd make sense seeing as how I seem to recall not being able to remember what I was going to put as my second feat (thus just resorting to dodge.)

Unnatural aura is a special quality, see the Wraith entry for confirmation.