PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 human artificer

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-02, 04:53 PM
My DM just told us we can only roll human for this campaign. We get flaws. At lvl 1 I'm burning all 4 feats on extraordinary artisan to remove all gold cost. We're going raw not errata. Should I try to remove XP cost or create items instantly?

We're rolling 5d4 for stats. I'm role playing a bookworm with absent minded and focused traits.

I'd love input as I've never played the class before. I'm not planning on taking metamagic feats til at least lvl 6

Afgncaap5
2014-04-02, 05:26 PM
I could be mistaken, but I don't believe you can take a feat multiple times unless it expressly says that you can do so.

Now, there are other ways to reduce costs (I believe Faerun has a similar feat, and Oriental Adventures has a feat that can apply to one specific type of magic item (and this feat was updated for 3.5 in one of the Complete books, I think)). In addition to feats, I think there are some magic items and special materials that reduce feats (including some very specific ones... the DMG's lore on planes includes a magic stag with antlers that reduce the cost of gold if you use the antlers to create a longbow). I'm not sure there's an easy way to completely make it cost zero gold at level one, though.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-02, 06:45 PM
The eberon campaign setting book says you can take the artisan feats multiple times and their effects stack. It was errata'd out, but we're playing ignoring that.

Zytil
2014-04-02, 06:54 PM
So wait, assuming they do stack, do you get 100% off your gold costs or 78.4% off of them? Hmm...

Afgncaap5
2014-04-02, 06:58 PM
I double checked my copy and didn't see it on the feat. ...but then I checked the table and saw the superscript. That's kind of crazy. Ignore my comment, then. :-P

I recommend looking into mundane crafting and finding ways to boost that (an artificer can boost skills via infusions pretty well, though it gets better as you go up in level). With a high enough Craft Alchemy score and depending on DM interpretation, you can get some alchemical items done in a day instead of a week (or even less than a day if the DM is willing to go that direction. Eggshell Grenades rock.) Similarly, time is going to be your biggest enemy as an artificer; once you get Craft Homunculus, get the Dedicated Wright so that it can craft for you. Also, look into getting a Quill of Scribing: it's like a Dedicated Wright, but with looser restrictions on use and activation (it can work while you sleep and only takes a standard action to set up, though it can only make scrolls. My DM ruled that it could work at the same time as my Dedicated Wright, though I'm not sure how accurate that is by RAW.) The Dedicated Wright's construction requirements is another reason to look into mundane crafting.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-02, 06:58 PM
Direct stacking not cumulative
So 100%

Doc_Maynot
2014-04-02, 07:03 PM
May I be the first to ask, what is with all the artificer threads as of late?
I mean seriously, last time I remember something like this happening it was Dvati.

On note of the OP,
By RAW, no feat is able to stack unless it states so explicitly.
Like Extra Turning (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Extra_Turning)

The errata didn't change that, it merely said they messed up when writing the table, and as we all know, text trumps table.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-02, 08:00 PM
I'd consider it a valid point if there were a contradiction, but exclusion of a detail in the text is not a contradiction of a note on the table. Someone obviously meant to put it there.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-02, 08:03 PM
I double checked my copy and didn't see it on the feat. ...but then I checked the table and saw the superscript. That's kind of crazy. Ignore my comment, then. :-P

I recommend looking into mundane crafting and finding ways to boost that (an artificer can boost skills via infusions pretty well, though it gets better as you go up in level). With a high enough Craft Alchemy score and depending on DM interpretation, you can get some alchemical items done in a day instead of a week (or even less than a day if the DM is willing to go that direction. Eggshell Grenades rock.) Similarly, time is going to be your biggest enemy as an artificer; once you get Craft Homunculus, get the Dedicated Wright so that it can craft for you. Also, look into getting a Quill of Scribing: it's like a Dedicated Wright, but with looser restrictions on use and activation (it can work while you sleep and only takes a standard action to set up, though it can only make scrolls. My DM ruled that it could work at the same time as my Dedicated Wright, though I'm not sure how accurate that is by RAW.) The Dedicated Wright's construction requirements is another reason to look into mundane crafting.

I'm not sure about the crafting skills, but I was definitely planning to acquire the quill. Found that one a while back and just haven't had a chance to get one with an appropriate character. Thanks for the input! I decided to reduce time with feats 3,4,6 and 8.

papr_weezl8472
2014-04-02, 10:08 PM
The errata on these feats says:

Remove the superscript “2” after the feats Exceptional
Artisan, Extraordinary Artisan, and Legendary Artisan.
Each feat can be taken once only, not multiple times.
:smallfrown:

Gavinfoxx
2014-04-02, 10:15 PM
Here's a handbook on what you CAN do...

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7274.0

kkplx
2014-04-02, 11:11 PM
Direct stacking not cumulative
So 100%

first of all RAW is they can't stack.

Second all % reductions you can get are cumulative, not additional. you'll never reach free crafting. You'll also never get to less than a full work day (8 hours)per item.

unseenmage
2014-04-03, 12:48 AM
May I be the first to ask, what is with all the artificer threads as of late?
I mean seriously, last time I remember something like this happening it was Dvati.

The solution is obvious. We must build the bestest most powerfulest Dvati Artificer evar.

Doc_Maynot
2014-04-03, 12:49 AM
The solution is obvious. We must build the bestest most powerfulest Dvati Artificer evar.

Who needs to waste resources on a dedicated wright, right? Just do it yourself.

unseenmage
2014-04-03, 12:50 AM
Who needs to waste resources on a dedicated wright, right? Just do it yourself.

Is it bad that I want to build this now? :smalleek:

Doc_Maynot
2014-04-03, 12:57 AM
Is it bad that I want to build this now? :smalleek:

Welcome to the club. :smallconfused:

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-03, 12:38 PM
first of all RAW is they can't stack.

If you have the book in front of you, on the table it explicitly says they "stack".

1) it's d&d, you can alter the rules as you see fit at the dungeon master's discretion.

2) I find it hard to believe they didn't intend to put the multiple times note on the table, since they put it on all three item crafting reduction feats (without excluding any of them), which make up 50% of the feats noted in this manner.

So their intent was obvious and explicit.

We're playing to have fun together. We all make allowances for each other. My character will constantly have his head in a book studying magic weapons armor and items. So I'm basically the armorer/utility scroll nerd at the back of the party who bumps into people and things because I'm never looking up.

I started the thread asking for advice for the order of feats.

I'd still really appreciate more of THAT input. Thank you to those who also provided rules and errata. Not interested in those regarding this specific instance.

And I do greatly appreciate the item crafting handbook link.

tricktroller
2014-04-03, 01:09 PM
Well it depends. Do you want to make that 200,000 gold piece sword for no xp and it take 200 days, or do you want to make that sword for 8000 xp and no time at all to craft it. I think the time requirements, pre-demiplane, are the more difficult requirements to overcome.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-04-03, 01:37 PM
Well it depends. Do you want to make that 200,000 gold piece sword for no xp and it take 200 days, or do you want to make that sword for 8000 xp and no time at all to craft it. I think the time requirements, pre-demiplane, are the more difficult requirements to overcome.

I had reached a similar conclusion. Time has become my priority, with gold close behind. Can always supplement XP costs with gold.