PDA

View Full Version : Build Ideas for the Governor-General

Palanan
2014-04-02, 05:14 PM
I could use build suggestions for a would-be conqueror, casually cruel and utterly driven, who leads his troops with hard professionalism and a tinge of fear.

He's trained as an armored lancer on a fast horse, but fights equally well dismounted, and has a genuine ability to motivate his men by example. He's rash and brave, always in the vanguard and often at risk, but a cold political calculator as well.

He won't be a spellcaster, has no use for divinity, and no ToB or psionics, but otherwise I'm open to just about all 3.5 sources. Assuming a human at ninth level, what would work for an effective mounted fighter, leading an expedition of conquest by force of personality?

VoxRationis
2014-04-02, 08:15 PM
What level?
The dragon lord (http://dndtools.eu/classes/dragon-lord/) from Dragon Magic fits the general idea, though the abilities look kind of weak (I can't see what the auras do, so I don't know about how good they are).

Coidzor
2014-04-02, 08:28 PM
Are you willing to give the entirety of the useful mounted combat feats to him via items? Then again, it's only 3 feats and 2 of them can be substituted with items easily, with only the third feat really being obscure and requiring a specific lance or reverse engineering the feat from the specific lance of faerun.

Maybe some sort of A Game Paladin of Tyranny with appropriated house rules/fiat, maybe gestalted with Expert? A Gestalt Paladin of Tyranny//Marshal? Evil Martially Inclined Bard with spellcasting traded for something or another(a supermount, perhaps?) focusing on inspiring oratory?

Err, actually, NPC or PC?

Diovid
2014-04-03, 02:12 AM
I agree with Coidzor that Paladin of Tyranny (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinofTyrannyClassF eatures) and Marshal (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b) are good starting points. Of course, you said no spellcasting so the Paladin's Holy Warrior variant (from Complete Champion) fits, as well as possibly other paladin variants (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=l3hhne9kuq99nte8ft3qubcp23&topic=7908).

In addition you could use the Legendary Leader prc (Heroes of Battle).

Particle_Man
2014-04-03, 09:57 AM
I dunno about class but it sounds like the Leadership feat would be useful here.

John Longarrow
2014-04-03, 10:10 AM
I'd go 4 levels in Aristocrat (Meets a LOT of the diplomacy needs), 2 levels of fighter, a level in Dragon Slayer (keeps him from being affected by fear affects) then a couple levels in one of the mounted pClasses.

NOTE: For build, levels will probably be something like:
L1 - Aristocrat - 1
L2 - Fighter - 1
L3 - Aristocrat - 2
L4 - Aristocrat - 3
L5 - Fighter -2
L6 - Aristocrat - 4
L7 - Dragonslayer - 1 (requires tumble and iron will)

This guy won't have a lot that he can do to support others, but he can be a charismatic leader easily.

If you'd prefer, I'd swap out the Aristocrat for Bard. Use Oration for his bardic music. He's not singing to motivate his troops, he motivating them by his vocal skills (think Drill sergeant). Not sure if you want this because of the spell casting though. As an alternative the Feat-centric rogue would work really well in place of Aristocrat. LOTS of skill points and LOTS of interpersonal skills.

Slipperychicken
2014-04-03, 10:26 AM
Go with Bard, optimize Inspire Courage a bit, and have ranks in Knowledge skills, Perform(Oratory), Perform(Dance) and Perform(Sing). He'll be the very model of a modern major-general.

Palanan
2014-04-03, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by VoxRationis
The dragon lord from Dragon Magic fits the general idea, though the abilities look kind of weak....

It does look interesting, although I'm really not a fan of auras. I'd want to substitute the dragon theme with something else, maybe a noble crest with a proud history or something.

Originally Posted by Coidzor
Are you willing to give the entirety of the useful mounted combat feats to him via items?

Actually I hadn't thought of that...and would probably be leery of the idea, since he'll be fairly light on magic items. Unlike most adventurers, much of his fortune will be invested in outfitting the expedition, so he won't have much left over for items.

That's always the real trick with mounted combat, and I dearly wish there was a base class that gave you some of that as part of its chassis. As much as I want to like the Knight, it just doesn't deliver much for practical knighthood.

Originally Posted by Coidzor
Then again, it's only 3 feats and 2 of them can be substituted with items easily, with only the third feat really being obscure and requiring a specific lance or reverse engineering the feat from the specific lance of faerun.

Actually, which three feats do you mean? I've never done a full mounted build before, not too familiar with what's preferred.

Originally Posted by Diovid
I agree with Coidzor that Paladin of Tyranny and Marshal are good starting points. Of course, you said no spellcasting so the Paladin's Holy Warrior variant (from Complete Champion) fits, as well as possibly other paladin variants.

The paladin variants are suggested a lot, but I always end up with class features that have no relevance to the character concept, and for which there don't seem to be any decent substitutes. The Governor-General will not be laying hands on wounded soldiers, and opposing alignments just aren't his concern. Paladins are very issue-driven, whereas this guy just wants gold and power.

The bard is generally good, especially for skills and IC, but that pesky spellcasting just doesn't fit. I keep searching for a despellified bard and can never quite find what I'm looking for.

Originally Posted by John Longarrow
I'd go 4 levels in Aristocrat (Meets a LOT of the diplomacy needs), 2 levels of fighter, a level in Dragon Slayer (keeps him from being affected by fear affects) then a couple levels in one of the mounted pClasses.... As an alternative the Feat-centric rogue would work really well in place of Aristocrat. LOTS of skill points and LOTS of interpersonal skills.

I like this general approach, and I happen to love the feat rogue. The only downside is the relative lack of hit points, but since he'd have feats to burn, maybe Improved Toughness could be feasible. The question is what to spend all those other feats on.

Originally Posted by Slipperychicken
Go with Bard, optimize Inspire Courage a bit, and have ranks in Knowledge skills, Perform(Oratory), Perform(Dance) and Perform(Sing). He'll be the very model of a modern major-general.

*smack*
*smack*
*smack*
*smack*
*smack*

*throttle throttle throttle*

:smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2014-04-03, 04:58 PM

Oh. It'd require updating, but PrCing into Warrior Skald would be another option instead of coming up with a Spellless Bard.

Actually, which three feats do you mean? I've never done a full mounted build before, not too familiar with what's preferred.

The only feats other than Mounted Combat > Ride-By-Attack > Spirited Charge(Add in Valorous Lance) and the feats for Supermounting(Devoted Tracker, maybe Dragon Steed) are Tunnel Fighting > Tunnel Riding so that your mount can squeeze without penalty through spaces you'd be able to go through normally.

Battle Bridle(Mounted Combat or if you have Mounted Combat, gives Ride-By-Attack), Riding Boots(Ride-By-Attack and increases the power of Spirited Charge), and Lance of Faerun(Spirited Charge) will grant them all without having to spend the character's actual feats. Lance of Faerun requires some tweaking, preferably massive reverse engineering, since you seemed to describe an Evil character.