PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Shaman

Everyman
2007-02-04, 08:01 PM
Does anyone have any experience playing with the Spirit Shaman out the Complete Divine?

Generally, I prefer spont. casters to prep. casters for their ability to use any of their known spells at a moment's notice. However, I also understand the strategic value of setting one's spell list to handle expected threats. This class seems to be a nice mix of both strategies.

Also, the class abilities are intriguing. I don't know how useful it will be right now, but my DM is usually accomidating to a person's skills and abilities.

So, anyone have any comments, grades, and/or critiques?

Merlin the Tuna
2007-02-04, 08:13 PM
A lot of people like the spell mechanic -- it dumps the archaic Vancian prep system in favor of spontaneous casting without being hindered by a spontaneous caster's lack of day-to-day flexibility. Many (including Monte Cook in Arcana Unearthed/Evolved, if I'm not mistaken) have developed similar setups for arcane casters. (I personally don't like these as they still require having a spell book, which introduces all sorts of annoyance in statting up a character). At any rate, the spell stuff is pretty swell overall.

On the other hand, pretty much all of the Spirit Shaman's class abilities are dependent on running into incorporeal undead. Think about how often you run into undead. Maybe it's a lot, maybe it's not. Now suck out Liches, Mummies, Vampires, Zombies, and Skeletons. Not counting those, how often do you fight undead? That's when a Spirit Shaman gets to use his class abilities.

Person_Man
2007-02-04, 08:21 PM
I've seen it played. They generally have the best Wild Empathy in the game (helpful at low levels, when your DM's tend to use a lot of animals). Their anti-ghost abilities are very helpful against certain enemies. And they're full casters, which means that they're stronger then most non-casters.

But they're still Cha based casters using Druid spells, generally considered a weaker list. And their abilities, while cool, really don't match up to Wildshape and an Animal Companion.

I would suggest Spirit Shamen 6/Full Caster Prestige Clas X.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-04, 08:59 PM
Spirit Shaman can be taken straight through to 20, or PrCed out after 6th or 12th.
If you have access to the Spell Compendium, their spell list is just fine.

Hyrael
2007-02-04, 09:19 PM
While their spellcasting abilities are great, I think that their class abilites need to be re-thought.

Ramza00
2007-02-04, 09:24 PM
Its strong but druid is better, but in my mind more caster classes should be like spirit shaman. In many ways its superior to a sorcerer.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-04, 09:27 PM
While their spellcasting abilities are great, I think that their class abilites need to be re-thought.

What's wrong with their class abilities? They have some very good ones.

Everyman
2007-02-04, 09:41 PM
I concur with Bears. I like the ability to turn incorporeal and having a psuedo-permanent protection spell on twenty-four/seven. The ability to essentially "rebuke" spirits is just one aspect of their overall power.

PS. I should mention that, in addition to the list of "spirit" creatures they list with the class, my DM considers outsiders who are incorporeal to be spirits too (mainly because they tend to possess people then).

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-04, 10:05 PM
Not to mention that you can keep a Concentration-duration spell going all day.
A spell like... Phantom Bear? Summon Elemental Monolith?