PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help statting out "the Jackal"?

Soarel
2014-04-02, 07:28 PM
One of the players in my group loves reading creepypasta (the good, original ones, not the endless knockoffs). We often read them together as we're waiting for other players to arrive.

Yesterday I showed him this story: http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/The_Cave

and now he wants me to run this as an adventure. I've got most of the thing planned out, adding some encounters and decision points to make the thing more engaging. However, I've hit a roadblock: how the hell do I stat the Jackal?

The game we're planning to do this in is Pathfinder, since that's what we play almost all the time. I've got some basics down (incorporeal, weakness to light) but I have trouble statting the guy out fully.

Can anyone with more experience here read over the story and give me some ideas?

Telonius
2014-04-02, 08:08 PM
Displacer Beast Pack Lord (from 3.5, MM1) might be a good place to start.

Soarel
2014-04-02, 08:54 PM
Displacer Beast Pack Lord (from 3.5, MM1) might be a good place to start.

Did you read the story? He's nothing like a displacer beast.

Telonius
2014-04-02, 09:36 PM
I did read it - and yes, it seems to have some qualities in common with a Displacer Beast. Tentacles, to start with. Larger than a human. Unusual effect on the viewer's perception; it's indistinct (displacement, a "light-bending glamer"). It's a place to start.

So, stack on some templates. Shadow Creature template would give the "sticking to the shadows" theme, as well as a reason to dislike light ("the glow"), causing Fear, and being native to another plane of existence.

House-ruling to allow the Half-Illithid template to apply (normally you need a humanoid) would give it telepathy and an appropriate Intelligence score.

Soarel
2014-04-03, 03:14 PM
I did read it - and yes, it seems to have some qualities in common with a Displacer Beast. Tentacles, to start with. Larger than a human. Unusual effect on the viewer's perception; it's indistinct (displacement, a "light-bending glamer"). It's a place to start.

So, stack on some templates. Shadow Creature template would give the "sticking to the shadows" theme, as well as a reason to dislike light ("the glow"), causing Fear, and being native to another plane of existence.

House-ruling to allow the Half-Illithid template to apply (normally you need a humanoid) would give it telepathy and an appropriate Intelligence score.

Interesting. Just one question: would he count as an abberation or outsider?

Xintas
2014-04-03, 03:35 PM
Interesting. Just one question: would he count as an abberation or outsider?

Porque no los dos? You are the DM, count it as whatever you want. If I had to pick though, I think I would go with Aberration if I wanted to focus on the wrongness or Outside if I wanted to focus on the alien-ness.