PDA

View Full Version : I guess replacing the power supply isn't as bad as I thought!

KillianHawkeye
2014-04-02, 09:27 PM
Just felt like sharing a story:

I had a power outage yesterday that somehow burnt out the power supply of my desktop PC. Luckily I had a spare case with a power supply in it that I had been meaning to start using, but I always dreaded the thought of doing the procedure.

I replaced the power supply of my first computer way back in 2002, and it was such a HUGE PAIN wedging it in and out that I really didn't want to do it again. I even got myself an Xbox a couple years ago so I could play Mass Effect without having to upgrade my power supply (necessary to get a decent video card).

Anyway, being left with no choice, I took a shot at replacing my burnt out PS with my spare one, and it turns out that all of the problems that I had been dreading all these years didn't even exist because I am now dealing with a MUCH better computer case. It was pretty easy to just pull the thing out and put in the new one. No pulling and wedging needed at all! It was almost like the thing was designed to be replaceable! The most difficult part was making sure I replaced each power cable correctly, which honestly isn't hard if you do them one at a time.

And now I am rocking 500 W instead of a meager 250. Time to start shopping for video cards!

So I guess the moral of the story is not to let your past hardships prevent you from doing things in the present, because there's no guarantee things will turn out the same way they did.

I hope you all enjoyed my tale of triumph! :smallcool:

Grinner
2014-04-02, 09:45 PM
Congratulations! :smallsmile:

I've never thought power supplies were particularly difficult. I guess these things are mostly in our heads.

Brother Oni
2014-04-03, 02:02 AM
I've never thought power supplies were particularly difficult. I guess these things are mostly in our heads.

It depends mostly on the case size (nice and roomy ATX tower compared to a more slimline m-ATX or smaller), motherboard size (some ATX motherboards are a bit bigger than others) and overall internal design (everything's given a bit of space and/or components are designed to be independently replacable of each other).

I've had some cases be a piece of cake to replace internal gubbins, while others you have to virtually disassemble to get to a critical component.