PDA

View Full Version : odd thing with a Playstation memory card

JeenLeen
2014-04-03, 08:02 AM
This is something odd, that seems like it should be impossible, that happened to me in high school. I'm not asking for advice about it, but wanted to share and just find out if there's a reasonable explanation.

I was playing Star Ocean on the Playstation, and had my data saved on some third-party memory card (the ones with multiple 'pages'). I took it to school with me and went through the library scanners (the things to make sure you aren't sneaking out books) without removing it, which I knew could corrupt/delete the data files.

To my lament, my Star Ocean data wasn't usable. So I copied the other files on it (which seemed fine) to another memory card and went on.
Then the other memory card got corrupted.
And so on.

It seems like the card with Star Ocean basically got a virus, which corrupted the data on any card I copied data from it to. The non-Star Ocean data on the original-corrupted memory card was fine, but if I copied stuff to other cards, the other cards glitched. (I think part of this was I started by copying the Star Ocean files, since Star Ocean keeps track of the voice acting you hear in the game to unlock a picture.)

Is there any reason this should have been possible? It seems incredibly unlikely that the data got corrupted just in such a way that it became a virus.

Grinner
2014-04-03, 08:53 AM
So you copied data from a corrupted memory card to an uncorrupted card, and the uncorrupted card subsequently became corrupted?

Perhaps it has something to do the way the Playstation accessed the data? Don't they use flash memory?

*researches*

According to Wikipedia, they use EEPROMs. I don't have time to go further at the moment, but for the moment, I'd propose a peculiarity of either the Playstation or EEPROMs caused the other savefiles to be affected.

Finlam
2014-04-03, 12:38 PM
odd thing with a Playstation memory card
This is something odd, that seems like it should be impossible, that happened to me in high school. I'm not asking for advice about it, but wanted to share and just find out if there's a reasonable explanation.

Most people wait till college to experiment, but we're a very open community here that supports all genders and orientations equally, so more power to you! It's only natural to be confused and seek an explanation for the first time it happens to you. Maybe it was just a magical moment, maybe it was something more. Either way it's important that you're discovering yourself and the Playground will be here to support you and your memory card through it all.