PDA

View Full Version : Two-Weapon Fighting issue (PathFinder)

skypse
2014-04-03, 08:53 AM
So I'm trying to figure out a good Fighter build that punches faces and kicks asses in the morning. So in one of my trials, I decided to check out the Unarmed Fighter archetype.
I get Improved unarmed strike as a free feat and I picked the following:
Two-Weapon Fighting
Double Slice
Weapon Focus (unarmed)
Weapon Specialization (unarmed)
Combat Reflexes
And for the fighting style I chose the Boar for the 2d6 bleed dmg.
Stats are :
STR 18
DEX 16
CON 16
INT 10
WIS 12
CHA 10
(Hobgoblin 5lvl fighter)

So my problem is this: My BAB is 5, STR mod is 4 so my melee AR is 9.
+1 from weapon focus=10 +1 from Weapon Training special quality =11, +1 from profficiency =12.

So my question is the following one: I am not carrying anything on my hands, I don't even wear a gauntlet. I have as a total +12 attack roll and my dmg is 1d3+8 after all the modifiers.

Two-weapon Fighting states that if I have a light weapon as an off-hand (unarmed always counts as light) the penalty for 2 weap fighting is -2 for both hands. This gives me:

Primary Hand---> 10 AR 1d3+6 dmg roll
Off Hand-------> 10 AR 1d3+10 (Double slice) dmg roll

However, when I put this character in PCGen for testing, I don't get those numbers and it calculates everything according to my base melee attack bonus instead of everything together. When I put a weapon on my character everything is fine, but when I have him as unnarmed I get it wrong. Additionally, I get the base melee attack bonus (+9) when I put gauntlets on him or even the "unarmed strike" item that exists in the program.

Can anyone make this a little more clear for me please?

grarrrg
2014-04-03, 09:50 AM
So my problem is this: My BAB is 5, STR mod is 4 so my melee AR is 9.
+1 from weapon focus=10 +1 from Weapon Training special quality =11, +1 from profficiency =12.

I'm with you up to "proficiency".
Being proficient with a weapon does not give you any bonuses, it only removes penalties. Unless you are referring to some other feature.
From what I see, your base-line To-Hit is only +11.

my dmg is 1d3+8 after all the modifiers.

1d3 is base Unarmed
+2 Weapon Specialization
+4 STR
+1 Weapon Training
Where's the extra +1 coming from?

Primary Hand---> 10 AR 1d3+6 dmg roll
Off Hand-------> 10 AR 1d3+10 (Double slice) dmg roll

(going with your numbers for the following to minimize confusion)
Why if your base damage is 1d3+8 do you have your Primary attack at 1d3+6?
Default off-hand damage only uses Half-STR, but you have Double Slice which brings it up to Full-STR, which would still only be equal to your main hand attack > 1d3+8.

skypse
2014-04-03, 10:41 AM
Ok seems like I've lost something. You are absolutelly right with your math (I was confused about how double slice works. I thought I add my full strength bonus AFTER the calculations) but PCGen still gives me 12 AR and +8 dmg roll. Can you please give it a look? I exported the PDF file.

WRONG FILE SORRY. I UPLOAD THE CORRECT ONE IN MY NEXT POST

skypse
2014-04-03, 10:42 AM
(going with your numbers for the following to minimize confusion)
Why if your base damage is 1d3+8 do you have your Primary attack at 1d3+6?

Two-Weapon fighting says it gives a -2 penalty to both primary and off hand. Since it does not specify it, I guess the penalty applies both to AR and dmg rolls...

This is the correct file. The other one didn't show the unarmed strike at all as an option. Sorry my bad.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/undefined/

tyckspoon
2014-04-03, 10:53 AM
Two-Weapon fighting says it gives a -2 penalty to both primary and off hand. Since it does not specify it, I guess the penalty applies both to AR and dmg rolls...

No, it doesn't. Just attack. Your numbers *should* be +9 to hit/1d3+8 damage with both primary and off-hand attacks. Your link doesn't actually point at any files, so I can't tell you what the generator program thinks is happening.

skypse
2014-04-03, 11:09 AM
No, it doesn't. Just attack. Your numbers *should* be +9 to hit/1d3+8 damage with both primary and off-hand attacks. Your link doesn't actually point at any files, so I can't tell you what the generator program thinks is happening.

I can't get a hold of anything today... One of those days that you only screw up since the moment you get up from your bed... Makes you wish you never did.. Anyway thanks for your patience.. here it is:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/bt5lv6s3bba9sea/Unnarmed_Warrior_final.pdf

tyckspoon
2014-04-03, 02:11 PM
..yeah, I have no idea what's happening there. Sheet's wrong, AFAICT. Best guess is it's doubling up the bonus for Weapon Training (assuming Unarmed Strike is a member of both the 'Monk' and 'Natural Weapon' weapon groups) but if so, it isn't doing it for damage.

skypse
2014-04-03, 06:03 PM
It actually does!!! 4 dmg from STR modifier, +2 from Weap specialization, plus 1 from weap training as Monk unarmed and +1 as natural unarmed.

However the question persists: Is it correct to count it double?