PDA

View Full Version : Goliath Savage Progression

Zethex
2014-04-03, 09:00 AM
Hey y'all!

I am trying to figure out how an LA +0 Goliath would look if adapted in the way of http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a

Is there something like that out there and, if not, could anyone help me with a balanced version that allows me to play a young level 1 Goliath Barbarian from the very beginning?

OldTrees1
2014-04-03, 09:24 AM
Racial Traits:
Monstrous Humanoid
+2 Str / -2 Dex
Powerful Build

Racial Class:
1: +2 Str / +2 Con, Mountain Movement, Acclimated, +2 Sense Motive

Urpriest
2014-04-03, 09:26 AM
Racial Traits:
Monstrous Humanoid
+2 Str / -2 Dex / +2 Con
Mountain Movement
Acclimated
+2 Sense Motive

Racial Class:
1: +2 Str, Powerful Build

Looks fair-ish.

I'd look at the Half-Giant progression in Complete Psionic and base it off that.

OldTrees1
2014-04-03, 09:31 AM
Looks fair-ish.

I'd look at the Half-Giant progression in Complete Psionic and base it off that.

I had to flip it around since a Savage Progression would be able to take the Goliath Barbarian substitution level (Mountain Rage) which obsoletes powerful build. So Powerful Build needed to be part of racial traits rather than the savage progression class.

(Note to the unaware: Savage Progressions, unlike the racial classes in Savage Species, do not have to be finished.)

Adverb
2014-04-03, 09:40 AM
OldTrees' progression looks reasonable. I could see putting Powerful Build at either level. When in doubt, you avoid making a progression like this frontloaded, and Powerful Build is super good. But on the other hand, if I were the DM I wouldn't want to have someone change their equipment between level 1 and level 2.

The Feral Gargun monster class might be worth looking at too? But mostly I think OldTrees' thing will be fine.

OldTrees1
2014-04-03, 10:19 AM
OldTrees' progression looks reasonable. I could see putting Powerful Build at either level. When in doubt, you avoid making a progression like this frontloaded, and Powerful Build is super good.

That (avoiding front loading) is precisely why Powerful Build was put first for this Savage Progression(which has slightly different rules than a Monster Class). An ECL 1 Goliath Goliath Barbarian 1 should not be identical to an ECL 2 Goliath Goliath 1 Goliath Barbarian 1. Since Mountain Rage eclipses Powerful Build, Powerful Build needs to be acquired before Mountain Rage can be acquired.

Since Goliath has no RHD and is not a template, it cannot be made into a Monster Class. So it would have to be a Savage Progression(which comes with permission to exit early)

Zethex
2014-04-03, 05:24 PM
Looks good. Except that Acclimated really should be baseline, no? It gives a minor bonus and teen Goliaths should be able to breath just as well up there.

OldTrees1
2014-04-03, 07:23 PM
Looks good. Except that Acclimated really should be baseline, no? It gives a minor bonus and teen Goliaths should be able to breath just as well up there.

Since it is a Savage Progression for a Goliath Barbarian character, Powerful Build needed to be in the first package(since it would be obsolete by the time the second package is taken). This did restrict the placement of other traits. I can give a thematic rationalization for teens not having as much endurance as mature adults but that is a rationalization.

However if the player can be trusted to pick up the second half reasonable early, then I see no reason not to squish more into the first half.

Zethex
2014-04-03, 09:26 PM
I do trust myself to do that. For sure before the 5th level. Maybe even immediately.