PDA

View Full Version : Gunslinger/Spellslinger question

Gorr_the_Gastly
2014-04-03, 09:57 AM
Ok so if you gestalted the two in theory how powerful would that be in combo with the focused shot feat?

As the Gunslinger 5 adds Dex to any shot made with his gun (Even if that shot is a spell according to RAW) and Focused shot adds Int to damage as well. A wizard really only needs a good Int and Dex right?

Gunslinger offers a d10 HD which is good, full BAB which makes hitting Touch AC easier, 4+Int to go with the Wizards skills and Int focus, and good Fort and to a lesser degree good reflex.

It also says nothing about the Arcane Gun being effected by Arcane Spell Failure.

Stux
2014-04-03, 10:13 AM
Certainly more powerful than a straight Spellslinger, but probably less powerful than a wizard who isn't blasting spells through a gun every round.

Would be fun though!

Gorr_the_Gastly
2014-04-03, 10:20 AM
Well this would give you a fallback with better shots should you use up your spells for the day. And giving a Wizard d10 and 4+int is always a nice litle thing. Also gives them proficiency in the Armored Kilt which is a +1 armor with 0 Armor Check and 0 ASF rate.

grarrrg
2014-04-03, 10:32 AM
A perfectly fine Gestalt, although the Wizard is arguably bumped down to Tier 2 due to having 4 opposing schools (and the no-cantrips doesn't help things either).

Ok so if you gestalted the two in theory how powerful would that be in combo with the focused shot feat?

Focused shot says "attack with a bow or crossbow", so as written, it does nothing with Firearms.
But Focused Shot was written before Firearms were a thing, so feel free to run it past your DM as a houserule.
Focused Shot also works as a Standard Action that gives you one attack. If you have a way of reloading faster (which you most likely do) then this feat will fall behind once you can make more than one attack per round.

It also says nothing about the Arcane Gun being effected by Arcane Spell Failure.

You are still casting the spell, so you are still effected by Spell Failure.

Also gives them proficiency in the Armored Kilt which is a +1 armor with 0 Armor Check and 0 ASF rate.

Wizards can already wear Armored Kilts (or Haramakis) without penalty.
The penalty for not being proficient is tied to the Armor Check penalty. If the ACP is 0, then there is nothing stopping you from wearing it if you are not proficient.

Gorr_the_Gastly
2014-04-03, 10:57 AM
True I suppose but that is why Arcane Armor feats are there if you want more armor.

However I am not sure I call a Spellslinger a tier 2, just 4 schools removed from his spell slots he can still use spell trigger and other magic items of those spells without penalty.

grarrrg
2014-04-03, 08:56 PM
However I am not sure I call a Spellslinger a tier 2, just 4 schools removed from his spell slots he can still use spell trigger and other magic items of those spells without penalty.

I did say "arguably" :smalltongue:

But having 4 schools cost double-slots is pretty harsh.
Especially when you consider the fact that Evocation will NOT be one of your opposition schools (as a Spellslinger Evocation is the one school you pretty much NEED, or else it's pointless).