PDA

View Full Version : EMPIRE! The Interrogation of Qzare Xiu Wandao

QuintonBeck
2014-04-03, 11:47 AM
The Day After the Conclusion of Battle in the Southern Plains
North of the Border Between Hrathan-Tuor & Grrmanhil

The flat plains of Hrathan-Tuor howl with vicious wind as bloodied men and women drag themselves back across the border of Grrmanhil. It is unnervingly quiet in the absence of battle, only the howling wind and the sound of carrion birds pierces the air. Amidst the returning soldiers a single location stands apart, a great war tent ringed with soldiers at attention marks a serious counterpoint to the worn out trudging of the survivors and returning dead. Glances are thrown its way, every soldier knows what it holds, the Salterri prisoners, chief among them their leader, going by some strange title, bearing a foreign name, but responsible for the blood of thousands. The forces of the North had emerged victorious, yes, but their had been many lives lost and the attack itself had been Salterri doing. The blood rest on his hands. Many of the allied soldiers burned with hatred, others with sorrow, but all accepted this was not their place. Here, in the shadow of war was where their leaders would prove themselves worthy of their titles for inside the tent with the captured aggressor stood the leaders of the allied forces, intent to discover the reason behind the Salterri's aggression.

Inside the tent, beyond the prying eyes of the common soldiers a ring of nation leaders stood around the center, where, bound and disarmed the Qzare and his officers sat tied to the central pole of the tent. It had never before happened that such a diverse group had organized to face a threat and disparate ideas on what to do with the prisoner could lead to internal conflict and thus it had been decided all who wished to be would be present and that interviews or interrogations, whichever they became, would be made by all involved. And so it was that they now stood or sat or floated in a grim circle around the man responsible for this war. There was no leader amongst these men and women of equal standing but a judge turned soldier, Tyr Ethmorl-Ka from the City of Tuor had agreed to lead the assembly,

"Qzare Xiu Wandao, leader of the Salterri people, you and your officers stand accused of forgery, abduction, slavery, and war crimes against the people of the north. Diplomatic and exploratory envoys sent to your nation have been killed, enslaved, or remain unaccounted for, you have initiated war without proclamation and attempted to promote rebellion amongst the people of the north. You will now be judged by a tribunal of your peers, leaders of the nations whom you have wronged. Their ultimate decision will be a vote that shall determine your fate, be that release, continued imprisonment, or death."

The Tuor judge finished his proclamation and stood back amongst the Hrathan-Tuor delegation as the floor opened to the other leaders or to the Qzare or his men should they wish to speak.

Nations Present:
Ignato Empire - Represented by Syana Ignato & Korath Toranath Ignato
Hrathan Tuor - Represented by Nathanias Ethmorl
Razdis - Represented by Mormaer Razkai & his son Vali
Guilder - Represented by Doge Humperdink
Lyradis - Represented by Lady Lyra
Ashenia - Represented by Marshall Zarathan
Celero - Represented by General Kinil
Sympol - Represented by
Genivana - Represented by
Gunung - Represented by
Hurosha Empire - Represented by Empress Nyllana Earthguard
Jeweled Cities - Represented by Senior Counselor Samhell Bellami
Pryonia - Represented by
Alydaxis - Represented by Supreme General Dakul
Calorum - Represented by
Grrmanhil - Represented by
Scla'Ca - Represented by

Silverbit
2014-04-03, 01:30 PM
Mormaer Razkai arose. He now sported a makeshift eyepatch, composed of a torn piece of Salterri banner. The southrons had taken his left eye with their spears, but many now lay dead by his sword. Alongside him stood his son, Vali, launcher of the Deepdart. Both were still swathed in bloody steel mail, fresh from the killing fields.

"Ksari of the southrons, we have you now. Do you still wish to tout your superiority, to encourage revolt amongst the peaceable northern kingdoms, to enslave peaceful emissaries in your mines? Your time of dominance upon this region has passed. Your Imperium will teeter and fall."
Razkai spits next to the Salterri leader.
"We shouldn't kill him. That'd be a mercy. We need to keep him somewhere safe, somewhere secure. If no one else has a suggestion, my kingdom beneath the land will serve."

QuintonBeck
2014-04-03, 07:35 PM
"The Primarch is right, death is not the answer, though this man's crimes would certainly warrant it. No, he will serve us better as a tool of trade with the Salterri, once we have extracted information from him. I wonder how much a Qzare costs to the Salterri, I would hope their poor offers made to Razdis does not represent a completely frugal nature in all their dealings." Syana said, pacing around the captives, dark eyes hard on the southerner.

Elemental
2014-04-03, 08:50 PM
A man dressed in the finest mithril mail and a robe of plain black in remembrance of the fallen, his hair in a single braid, stood to speak. The other commanders of the troops would recognise him as Marshall Zarathan who had lead the Ashenite troops on the battlefield. Only his personal skill at arms had prevented him from meeting the same fate as a full third of the men under his command when he had lead them on a disastrous, though successful, attack on the Salterri lines.
"Firstly, the Princess Regent apologises that she cannot attend personally as matters to the West require her presence. However, she has authorised me to speak on her behalf.
"I cannot claim to know her thoughts on this matter, however, I believe she would likewise consider the imprisonment of Qzare Xiu Wandao the wisest course of action. It is my suggestion that Sulvan's Fury would serve as a suitable location. It is doubtless that there is a fortress of suitable remoteness that the Qzare would have no hope of effective rescue or escape until the negotiations of his ransom are complete."

moossabi
2014-04-04, 12:33 AM
One of the three Alydaxans in the room stood up. He was still dressed in the cloth-bound ordanium armor that marked him as a high-ranking officer. Those that attended the central sea conference recognize him as Dakul, the supreme general of king Apahulucta's army.

"The ransom plan seems to be the best course of action, but instead of asking for gold, we could ask for control of provinces and protectorates. Maybe then you Salterri will gain a sense of mortality and see the world from our point of view."

lt_murgen
2014-04-04, 07:05 AM
A man in the back snorted at that suggestion.

”Thems that fall behind get left behind, no disr-spect intended.” HE said, standing to bow towards the Alydaxis. He was an a tall, thin man in his late 50s. From his barrel chest and overall bronzed complexion, he was an Islander. “Samhell Bellami, Jeweled Cities Free Navy and member of her Senior Council.” He introduced himself to the crowd. Some of the older members of the assembly remember an infamous pirate named Black Sam, one of the last raiders to be brought to heel by the first King of the Islands. “Amber Regina says to tell ya her ships are still pacing that small Salti fleet, so she couldn’t be here herself.”

He turned and stared at the captive. “He aint no use to us. His generals was stupid, his fleet a bunch of cowards. No self-respectin despot is gonna give up treasure for his sorry hide.” He stared into the general’s eyes intently for a moment, then turned away. “And he knows it. He aint got nuttin to go back to. Prob’ly told him his family id be killed if he failed. So I say tattoo coward ‘cross their foreheads and send ‘em home.”

SamBurke
2014-04-05, 12:10 AM
Humperdink himself arrives in full attire, though he does not bring with him an elaborate retinue, as his father did many years ago. Instead, he sits down, opening a few scrolls and listening to the arguments of others.

[Guilder is here!]

Morph Bark
2014-04-07, 10:32 AM
Wandao had first struggled against his bindings, but when the gathering of kings, queens and generals began, he relented and remained as calm as one could. The high officers he was bound with were mostly less so, with General Zuei and two of his sons swearing softly in southron tongues until the judge appeared. "If this is to be a fair trial, I hope you have prepared someone to protect my interests, so that the false accusations may be revealed for what they are, and the ones that might be correct be explained with reason." The Qzare addressed those who had gathered. "For men who claim to fight for a just and fair cause," he looked around, focusing his gaze on the Mormaer a little longer than the others, "you speak of imprisonment and death awful quick."

QuintonBeck
2014-04-07, 10:44 AM
Wandao had first struggled against his bindings, but when the gathering of kings, queens and generals began, he relented and remained as calm as one could. The high officers he was bound with were mostly less so, with General Zuei and two of his sons swearing softly in southron tongues until the judge appeared. "If this is to be a fair trial, I hope you have prepared someone to protect my interests, so that the false accusations may be revealed for what they are, and the ones that might be correct be explained with reason." The Qzare addressed those who had gathered. "For men who claim to fight for a just and fair cause," he looked around, focusing his gaze on the Mormaer a little longer than the others, "you speak of imprisonment and death awful quick."

"I don't believe the judge mentioned 'fair'," Syana mused, "If you wish to be protected you must be prepared to defend yourself from the accusations. However, if you do so in a way that I find satisfactory I shall make a promise to not vote in favor of your beheading," Syana smiled at the Salterri man.

"As to how quickly my fellow leaders resolve to end your life I cannot say I blame them, you are, after all, responsible for many deaths of many of their people. My own included, now so distant a memory as to be laid to rest, though not forgotten. But, this is to be a trial and you will be able to speak, judge?" stopping her circling next to the Tuor judge Syana stepped back as he stepped forward.

"First and minor most amongst the crimes you stand accused of, you are charged with forgery and slander. Letters across the north were uncovered bearing false messages of alliance and cooperation many of which concerning nations that faced you at this battle."

Another Tuor man stepped forward bearing a box, opening it to reveal the messages collected by the Ignato Empire in the year leading up to the conflict.

"Do you recognize or claim responsibility for these falsities and bear responsibility for their intent to split the north for your conquest?" The judge asked as the letters were arranged in front of the Qzare so that he might see them.

SamBurke
2014-04-07, 11:23 AM
Humperdink moves forward to examine the letters, finding the one intercepted by his fleets, and noting it. "I testify that this letter was found by ships of the Guilderene Expanse. I, too, would appreciate an explanation."

Morph Bark
2014-04-07, 04:56 PM
Wandao looked at the letters from his low position of being tied to a post. "I do not recognize these letters, so I cannot tell you what of it might be forged or not. I therefore do not claim responsibility with regards to these letters." He looked up. "What attempts there may have been to split the north, as you say, are not my own. It is my understanding that until quite recently the north was already split. Frankly your hasty alliance seems rather odd to me, just as these letters you present are."

QuintonBeck
2014-04-07, 05:23 PM
"And what do you know of our situation here in the north? As far as I recall the only interest the Salterri has taken in her neighbors is to enslave them and send one rather gruff diplomat to a single convention. Frankly, your intent to march against a clearly superior number and under command of yourself, presumed leader of the Salterri, seems 'rather odd' to me," Syana said,

"Perhaps, since you seem to already presumably know of us, you might tell us of the Salterri and what contrivances landed you in the position of getting over 20,000 of your own men slaughtered in an unannounced onslaught? I regret we know little of your mighty Imperium, seeing as you've been unwilling to talk with any of us 'barbaric northerners', but now that we're here having such a polite conversation maybe you could explain what is happening down south? How's the weather? Which are the nice inns to visit? What the political and socio economic structure is and how did it affect your foolish decision to lead a massive army to slaughter? That sort of thing."

Korath smiled in the corner at his wife's words. She was not a woman he would be eager to cross, he did not envy the Salterri Qzare.

Logic
2014-04-07, 07:13 PM
An aged and short Celerii spoke up. His bearing and uniform marked him as General Kinil, illegitimate half-brother to the Queen of Celero.

"Apologies magistrates, but Celero wishes to ensure that fair representation of this main is maintained throughout the proceedings. With the permission of the accused, Celero has prepared some scholars and adjutants that shall ensure his rights are not violated under the commonly accepted international law."

QuintonBeck
2014-04-07, 07:39 PM
Syana nodded at the Celerese General, her dark face hard and serious. It was not a good time for such things, she was trying to put the Qzare on the ropes. Clearly none of the man's rights would be violated with over a dozen world leaders or representatives standing about, blast the Celerese's fastidiousness for clear legal fairness. No doubt a relic of their time under the Fire zealots. As the Celerese scholars came forward she turned to the Qzare again,

"About my questions?" she prompted him, hoping to put him back against the wall she'd been trying to push him to before.

Morph Bark
2014-04-08, 07:43 AM
Wandao smiled at Syana when she asked her scathing questions disguised as courtesy. Behind him one of General Zuei's sons let out a laugh just as scathing. "I could point you to a whorehouse you might like! Likely you would find it more enjoyable than standing around in a sweaty tent full of old men!"

Wandao allowed him a second or two to snicker before calling him off and silencing him. "First, allow me to thank the honourable general from Celero. We have always had good relations with your kin and I am happy to see those they left behind in Celero are just like they are."

He pulled his feet under him to push himself off the ground and stand up, the others who were bound scurrying to not make themselves be dragged along. The ropes ground along the pole until Wandao and the other men stood. "With regards to your questions, Empress Ignato, we only ever received invitation to that one convention, and my father saw fit to send gouvernor Lann Qďng. I do not know why, for he was always a man hard to deal with, but perhaps that's exactly why he was sent--so that any deals made would not fall too quickly. As to the accusations of slavery, the only slaves we employ are servants of the house and they are well treated. Many of them are educated, probably better than the pariahs they would be in lands that would not employ them as slaves; they are fed and they have a roof over their head. 'Slavery'? Maybe that's the right word for it." His face was stern, "but if a man's place in life is to be a slave, let it be a life lived well."

Silverbit
2014-04-08, 08:42 AM
Razkai speaks again.
"Your slavery sounds better than many men's lives free; it is so sad that all you spout is a falsification. If you recall, you sent my ambassadors, among them members of my clan and family, into the mines of your country. What an idyllic life that was, wielding a pick in an ill-dug, torchlit hole in the ground."

Morph Bark
2014-04-08, 09:03 AM
"That was one of the regrettable decisions under my father's reign," Wandao explained, looking down on the dwarven lord. "They were taken captive under the strict laws that were enforced. Foreigners were not allowed into the Imperium beyond the coastal port cities and border towns on penalty of imprisonment. One of my first acts as Qzare was to lessen that penalty and granting a measure of citizenship to foreigners with Salterri spouses or children. The dwarves were put to work in the mines, because it is our belief that it is better to make prisoners work than have them sitting around doing nothing and wasting expenses. I've been told prisoners of Salterri birth often become successful businessmen after their release. Knowing that dwarves prefer to dwell underground, we saw the mines as the most fit place for them to work until their release. At that time, I sent you my letter." He nodded with his head at Razkai the Younger, who to him probably was no longer all that young, at least compared to a human. "If you do not believe me now, why did you believe what I told you in written word?"

QuintonBeck
2014-04-08, 10:33 AM
Syana smiled at the other Salterri man's crude suggestion, stepping over to him and caressing his face,

"But there's such fine men here," she purred, "Like my husband."

As she had spoken Korath had appeared behind her, his grey eyes focused in on the offending general and his face like stone. His light, sharp Ashenite features made him all the harder looking, contrasted with Syana's dark seemingly empathetic eyes. She stepped away, the smile still on her face as Korath stared down at the general. He was quite good at portraying strong but silent, it was another reason they got along so well. She spoke and he read her true meaning and acted.

She returned to look at the Qzare as he resumed speaking, and stood barely a foot from him as he and his men struggled to their feet, her husband also remained unflinching as the general he stood point on rose.

"So it seems by your deflections that it was not you, but your father that perpetrated the many actions that led to this war. Yet, it was you who led this battle and so I must ask the question, why? What prompted the young new Qzare of the Imperium to march 20,000 men against a foe he had not spoken to since ascending to his throne?"

WaylanderX
2014-04-08, 11:22 AM
Two cloaked figures enter the room, one gliding, one walking slowely with the help of a gnarled walking stick. From outside, insectlike clicking can be heard.
"Excuse my late entrance, my fellow rulers."
The gliding cloaked figure folded back her hood, revealing Nyllana Earthguard, Eienguard of Kasumor, Empress of the Hurosha Empire.
She looked upon the Salterri prisoner with disgust.
"Eljak, does this...creature look like one of the people that ruled over and tortured the cititzens of the Salterri Empire?"
The other cloaked figure, revealing himself to be Eljak, took a good look at the prisoner and nodded.
"His clothing resembles that of Qďng and he has the same stupid expression upon his face. This is with certainty of the same people responsible for the death of my liege."
Eljek brought his face close to the prisoner's and split in his face, while he snarled "Câzadow Horssen!".
"That's enough Eljak." Nyllana said, an icy, unforgiving look in her eyes. "We still need him to give us more information about the lands my father faught so hard to free."
She turned towards the other rulers present and raised her hands towards them.
"Could anyone tell me what this foul.....thing" Her face distorted in rage. "has said about this attack and the Salterri themselves?"

OOC: If somebody does tell her, I'll read the posts above, otherwise I will not. To keep things fair and fun ;P.

QuintonBeck
2014-04-08, 12:24 PM
"Very little." Korath said from his position staring at the Salterri general.

"But we're getting to his answers Empress," Syana said, stifling her surprise at the Goblin's impressive spitting abilities behind a cool mask.

((OOC: The Qzare is standing up now btw haha))

TheWombatOfDoom
2014-04-08, 12:59 PM
Lyra moves from her location toward the rear of the tent where she had been listening, frustrated at the way her peers were questioning. She was only here for one real purpose, anyway. She moved closer, and stepped before the prisioners, her face a mask of calm.

"Qzare Wandao, does the name 'Kell' mean anything to you?" She watched his face for signs of recognition. "Perhaps...'Farridan'?"

Morph Bark
2014-04-08, 02:36 PM
Wandao reeled back from suddenly being spat in the face by the goblin. He shook his head in an attempt to shake it off, but at least it wasn't thick. He glared at Eljak, eyes furious with face deathly calm. "Kevenna dha savla, gwyrdhkenn."

Wandao smiled as he turned his attention to Nyllana. "Curious that you would bring one such as him in here. We had sent messengers northwards to request the location of those who had committed war crimes against the Imperium but never received reply other than their heads returned. It's good to know one faces one's true enemies."

He turned back to Syana. "After that, my advisors and I saw no option but to retaliate. A thousand soldiers had been slaughtered, a gouvernor had been assassinated and prisoners released and riots enflamed. When investigated, it was discovered that those thought responsible claimed they hailed from Crima, one of your northerner lands. They were accompanied and aided by a greenskin like this one, who had also stolen a lot of ancient artifacts, heirlooms of the Lann family."

The words lingered for a bit, the silence then quickly broken by Lyra stepping forth. Wandao looked at her and looked like he was dragging back up old memories. "Those names are mentioned in our history books yes. What of them? Do they hold relevance to your reasons for participating in this war?"

QuintonBeck
2014-04-08, 02:52 PM
"So to strike at Crima you rode a hoard against Hrathan-Tuor?" Syana asked, disbelief heavy in her voice, "Are you that ignorant of Northern politics or just stupid? The leader of Crima was a madman who carried out terrorist attacks across the lands. It does not surprise me to find his hand in this, nor does it surprise me that the goblins of Zargrim who did not wish to join the Hurosha Empire would aid him. It was Crima's allies in the great northern war that convinced some goblins to turn on their Kasumori commanders. He was slain and his lands given over to a more reasonable man. Why the Kasumori Empress has brought one of the Goblin rebels who presumably aided in the attack on your Imperium here is beyond me, perhaps simply to identify you."

Syana turned to look at Nyllana and Eljak, making sure her face was away from the Qzare and his men. Nyllana was like an aunt to her and Eljak a cook of a grandfather, she hoped they would pick up on the thread of things.

"In any event the man responsible for the crimes committed against you is dead, his nation dissolved, and it must be that you are ignorant or lying if you believed assaulting Hrathan-Tuor would be a strike against Crima."

SamBurke
2014-04-08, 03:13 PM
Two cloaked figures enter the room, one gliding, one walking slowely with the help of a gnarled walking stick. From outside, insectlike clicking can be heard.
"Excuse my late entrance, my fellow rulers."
The gliding cloaked figure folded back her hood, revealing Nyllana Earthguard, Eienguard of Kasumor, Empress of the Hurosha Empire.
She looked upon the Salterri prisoner with disgust.
"Eljak, does this...creature look like one of the people that ruled over and tortured the cititzens of the Salterri Empire?"
The other cloaked figure, revealing himself to be Eljak, took a good look at the prisoner and nodded.
"His clothing resembles that of Qďng and he has the same stupid expression upon his face. This is with certainty of the same people responsible for the death of my liege."
Eljek brought his face close to the prisoner's and split in his face, while he snarled "Câzadow Horssen!".
"That's enough Eljak." Nyllana said, an icy, unforgiving look in her eyes. "We still need him to give us more information about the lands my father faught so hard to free."
She turned towards the other rulers present and raised her hands towards them.
"Could anyone tell me what this foul.....thing" Her face distorted in rage. "has said about this attack and the Salterri themselves?"

OOC: If somebody does tell her, I'll read the posts above, otherwise I will not. To keep things fair and fun ;P.

Humperdink nods as they enter, and steps over to Nyllana's side. "Thus far, he's denied all responsibility for anything except marching north. He says all of the atrocities were his fathers', and that he is a moderate. Interestingly, his reason for invasion is... somewhat plausible, if I remember my father's stories rightly." He turns to Eljak, waiting for him to return from his tirade.

In a whisper, he says: "Eljak, my father always spoke of the mission to the south, saying that he left before he even saw the lands of the Salterri... I strongly suspected that the soldiers on that expedition were very willing to raise chaos down there. So, tell me, is this Qzare pointing the finger to the... correct party? When he accuses the Crimans, did they do it?"

lt_murgen
2014-04-08, 05:26 PM
"Don't believe him" "Black Sam' Bellami, Junior spoke out from where he had taken his seat. "When the Central Sea Conference went on, these Salties managed to sail an entire fleet to one city without askin' fer directions."

He raised his voice a bit, "An' where did that get-together happen? Ryazen Bay, Crima. Now, that was nigh on 20 years ago. But they had a good map o the Sea of the Golden Sun then. Ya really think they forgot where they waz supposed to go?"

He looked up at the man, "How 'bout it, shorty? Your navigators all get the old-timer's disease?"

QuintonBeck
2014-04-08, 06:39 PM
Syana raised an eyebrow and smiled in the face of the Qzare at the Cities representative's words. The presence of their culture in Emerald City had ingratiated themselves with the Ignato Empire and Syana found herself enjoying the crass bluntness of their people. They kept nothing hidden, it was a respectable thing. Honorable. She was happy her father had repaired the frayed ties her grandfather had struck at at the Conference Bellami had just now referred to.

She said nothing more, but maintained eye contact with the Salterri ruler, quietly hoping the Lady Lyra would at least let them get some information more current than hundred year old history. She knew there was an important history to the Lyradissian people to the south, but such things could surely wait, or so she hoped.

ImperatorV
2014-04-08, 06:58 PM
The tent flap swings open and Nathanias Ethmorl, son of the high Guildmaster, enters.

I apologize for my tardiness. Please continue.

He takes up a position near the back of the Hrathan-Tuor delegation, quietly observing the proceedings.

Logic
2014-04-08, 07:16 PM
The venerable general of Celero approached the interrogator from Woodwind and whispered in her ear.

"Lady Syana, while I do not believe you are anywhere near violating this man's rights, I am under the impression that your tone and demeanor leave little reason for him to cooperate. Perhaps dial the anger back a bit?"

QuintonBeck
2014-04-08, 07:47 PM
Syana inclined her head slightly towards the Celerese General but said nothing and her face maintained its cool smile the Islander had put on it. Perhaps the General hadn't noticed the Salterri man was already cooperating and that she had maintained a calm exterior despite her rather aggressive line of questioning. She was not the volatile explosion her grandfather had purportedly been, but she was not so timid as her father to be immediately cowed by the concerns of another. She might lighten up if she deemed it more valuable than keeping the pressure on, or she would allow the Celerese General his chance to kindly converse with the prisoner, but for now she would wait for a response from the Qzare.

Morph Bark
2014-04-09, 07:43 AM
"The only northern countries we have much information on are Celero and Hrathan-Tuor, a country known to employ a lot of assassins and cut-throat deals. When our messengers returned with naught but their heads, the logical assumption was that in an assassination there would be some assassins involved." The Qzare coolly explained. "When first invited to a conference, our map-makers created one as they sailed along the coasts and based the borders of countries based on the people they met there. The only thing we've since discovered was that they were wrong, or at least, they were wrong at the time."

He turned to Nyllana again, his eyes burning. "Even so, our messengers made clear against whom we marched and instead of delivering us Crimar and goblin heads the only two we received back were the messengers' own! What message does that send, but that they who do so are barbarians and assassins?! Not even a decade ago you slew the kinsmen of one another and burned your own kings! I guess the just can expect no better treatment than a salt farmer from you lot."

TheWombatOfDoom
2014-04-09, 07:54 AM
The words lingered for a bit, the silence then quickly broken by Lyra stepping forth. Wandao looked at her and looked like he was dragging back up old memories. "Those names are mentioned in our history books yes. What of them? Do they hold relevance to your reasons for participating in this war?"

"My people were driven from the regions of the south by the Kells long ago. You may have heard of the Kingdom of Lyradis, then too. What can you tell me of our homelands? The Kells? As for my involvement, I was asked to send troops to defend an ally, per an alliance my country made with Hrthan-Tuor."

ImperatorV
2014-04-09, 08:43 AM
"The only northern countries we have much information on are Celero and Hrathan-Tuor, a country known to employ a lot of assassins and cut-throat deals. When our messengers returned with naught but their heads, the logical assumption was that in an assassination there would be some assassins involved." The Qzare coolly explained. "When first invited to a conference, our map-makers created one as they sailed along the coasts and based the borders of countries based on the people they met there. The only thing we've since discovered was that they were wrong, or at least, they were wrong at the time."

He turned to Nyllana again, his eyes burning. "Even so, our messengers made clear against whom we marched and instead of delivering us Crimar and goblin heads the only two we received back were the messengers' own! What message does that send, but that they who do so are barbarians and assassins?! Not even a decade ago you slew the kinsmen of one another and burned your own kings! I guess the just can expect no better treatment than a salt farmer from you lot."

Nathanias steps forward.

Ignoring, for the moment, the incredibly flawed logic in that statement, what made you think it was your responsibility to interfere in northern affairs? And, furthermore, interfere without warning or mounting any kind of accusation, or seeking allies amongst the northerners? Your actions seem as those of someone who has something to hide.

lt_murgen
2014-04-09, 08:46 AM
"[COLOR="#0000FF"]Even so, our messengers made clear against whom we marched and instead of delivering us Crimar and goblin heads the only two we received back were the messengers' own! What message does that send, but that they who do so are barbarians and assassins?! Not even a decade ago you slew the kinsmen of one another and burned your own kings! I guess the just can expect no better treatment than a salt farmer from you lot."

"Hey, shorty! Quit lying." Black Sam came to Nyllana's aid, even though it wasn't neede. He pulled a couple of pieces of parchment from a waterproof bamboo tube. "Here is the letter our ships intercepted- it matches the one you have seen. Your envoy was released unharmed, with the a copy of the following letter from by boss... er our Regina."

The people of the Jeweled Cities are unaware of any threats to the lizardfolk peoples of Scla'ca and Alydaxis. We have mutually beneficial trade with both nations. We are committed to peace, yet will respond with aid if requested.

The people of Tar and the people of the Jeweled Cities share a common ancestry. We will assist our brethren in any way they desire. Even now, we seek re-approachement with them.

Should the Salterri Imperium present irrefutable evidence that the lands of Scla'ca, Alydaxis, or Tar are under imminent threat, we of the Jeweled Cities are willing to act as intermediaries with these realms to develop plans for mutual defence.

Sincerely,
Amber Grant, Regina of the Jeweled Cities.

"It was you that never replied. Never gave us any justification at all for your invasions along BOTH coasts."

SamBurke
2014-04-09, 09:41 AM
"What concerns me is this idea of heads chopped off... which nations did this deed, that you swear to? It certainly does not sound like the conduct of any civilized nation of the north. I have heard no such response... Guilder certainly did not."

QuintonBeck
2014-04-09, 11:06 AM

"Ah yes, of course, because only an assassin can cut off a head," Syana said, walking away from the Qzare.

"I do echo Guilder's question however, who cut off these messenger's heads?"

Carefully Syana moved next to the Einguard of Kasumor

"Is Kasumor responsible for this my lady?"

Logic
2014-04-09, 12:28 PM

Pardon me for interrupting gentlemen, but I fear my curiosity has been piqued.

How is it that Celero came to be known among the Salterri? Surely there are far more southern neighbors which you would have interacted with, especially the explorers are seafarers such as the Jeweled Cities, Guilder or Tar.

Morph Bark
2014-04-09, 05:54 PM
Wandao looked over the letter Sam presented*. "I haven't seen this letter before, pirate. Why anyone would send such things in a direction where no allies are to be found and risk making more enemies is beyond me." He sniffed. The smell of alcohol was pungent.

"I guess you only hear what you want to hear if you twist my words into something I did not say," Wandao said to Syana. "If so, then I have nothing more to hear from or say to you."

He turned his attention to Nathanias and Humperdinck. "If someone is assassinated, look where one might find assassins. That is logical, is it not? Furthermore, whether we have allies in the north is none of your concern, especially as it is clear that none came to support our just cause. We sent messengers to Hrathan-Tuor and beyond Yanshide, but both returned without anything from the neck down. That is what made clear reason could not be employed to deal with the aggressors, and you're not making a very good case for yourselves right now either." He motioned at the Empress.

"The Salterri have been in good communication with the new people of Propinlonge," he mentioned to the Celerese general. "Their late lady was quite admirable and strong, beautiful even in old age. She always spoke highly of your King Andust, and the men had great tales of their ancestral homeland told with fondness."

*I presume Sam meant to present the letter they actually intercepted, not the one they sent in response. :P

moossabi
2014-04-09, 06:44 PM
"If I may be so bold to speak at this time, I would merely like to point out that all of these letters came from Salterri messengers, and each letter bears the names of high-ranking officials. Unless you would openly admit that your government or it's citizens are corrupt, I am afraid you can form no worthwhile defense." At this time, Dakul pauses momentarily to allow for objections that would surely come. Hmmm... perhaps not. "And also, can we possibly go faster? Odds are he has bribed some people to come and rescue him, and we can't let that happen, now can we? If I am wrong, than so be it. There is no way to know exactly what is happening, and I currently have other matters on my mind."

QuintonBeck
2014-04-09, 06:48 PM
"So, because you received the wrong heads that makes us barbarians? Excuse me Qzare, but I do not think one can level such titles from a lofty position if they are the one who asked for heads to be delivered. I myself know nothing of who received demands for heads as I know my own kingdom did not. Whatever the case may be, it is clear you launched an undeclared war against Hrathan-Tuor for a perceived sleight based on your own dubious 'logic' and that is why you are now here. I would assume here is not where you wanted to be, it being after all in chains and being interrogated, I believe you would want to return to your lands and your rulership, but you've made no motion to ask for peace or resolution, only continually insisted that this battle was just. I was hoping you would be more reasonable," Syana said, calmly, not letting his attacks against her waver her resolve.

ImperatorV
2014-04-09, 08:26 PM
I've been here all of five minutes and already I cannot tolerate this idiocy. Hrathan received no messengers of Slaterri origin, and we executed none. You have offered nothing but baseless accusations.

Nathanias walks out, addressing Syana as he goes.

I go now to my father to obtain permission to carry out the execution. He has until I return to come up with something to make his life worth sparing.

QuintonBeck
2014-04-09, 08:44 PM
Syana said nothing as Nathanias left but her teeth clenched hard. If this was a purely Triumvirate matter she would not fault the young Guildmaster heir and seeing as the Qzare had been relatively unhelpful it might be his execution could be warranted. As it stood however she was unsure that was the wisest course of action, and knew further it would not go over well with all the other representatives present. She chose to continue her silence, swallowing hard and forcing a relaxed smile back to her face as she turned back from the tent flap Nathanias had just exited and waited for the Qzare's response to what had been said.

Logic
2014-04-09, 08:51 PM
General Kinil stood again, quite red in the face, and nearly shouted.

"As the representative from Celero, I would like to formally object to even offering execution at this venture! This man hasn't even been formally charged with a crime, and as such, is merely a prisoner of war, to be held, as a ward of our peoples, until a legal armistice has been agreed upon.

"I denounce the idea of an execution before a trial has been conducted by an impartial magistrate. Or at least as objective of a magistrate we can manage.

"If execution is to be your intent, I will not be a part of these proceedings. You have my word that my Queen will stand by my decision."

QuintonBeck
2014-04-09, 09:37 PM
General Kinil stood again, quite red in the face, and nearly shouted.

"As the representative from Celero, I would like to formally object to even offering execution at this venture! This man hasn't even been formally charged with a crime, and as such, is merely a prisoner of war, to be held, as a ward of our peoples, until a legal armistice has been agreed upon.

"I denounce the idea of an execution before a trial has been conducted by an impartial magistrate. Or at least as objective of a magistrate we can manage.

"If execution is to be your intent, I will not be a part of these proceedings. You have my word that my Queen will stand by my decision."

OOC: Unless you went chasing Nathanias outside I don't think he probably heard you.

Logic
2014-04-09, 09:42 PM
OOC: Unless you went chasing Nathanias outside I don't think he probably heard you.

OOC: The General doesn't care if the man asking for execution is now out of earshot. He is making a statement to all leaders present that Celero isn't going to sit on its hands for this man's execution.

QuintonBeck
2014-04-09, 09:49 PM
"We will determine the Qzare's fate by vote, as discussed at the beginning of the proceedings General. I am sure the young Guildmaster was simply overcome with emotion accused as he stood of being a butcher of diplomats," Syana said, trying to diplomatically resolve things.

Elemental
2014-04-10, 12:14 AM
Marshall Zarathan stood to speak.
"To even speak of execution at this time is a clear violation of expected legal proceedings. The Guildmaster, young though he is, should know better than to allow his judgement to be so easily swayed by emotion.
"Qzare Wandao is a prisoner of war and at our mercy, a privilege that we are uniquely positioned to exercise. I propose that if we are to decide his fate we send for someone capable of true impartiality to do it for us. If we cannot find such a person, then we do what has always been done and ransom him according to his stature and the sum his countrymen are willing to pay."
He looked closely at the Salterri man for a moment.
"Perhaps his weight in precious stones?"

Logic
2014-04-10, 12:38 AM
Marshall Zarathan stood to speak.
"To even speak of execution at this time is a clear violation of expected legal proceedings. The Guildmaster, young though he is, should know better than to allow his judgement to be so easily swayed by emotion.
"Qzare Wandao is a prisoner of war and at our mercy, a privilege that we are uniquely positioned to exercise. I propose that if we are to decide his fate we send for someone capable of true impartiality to do it for us. If we cannot find such a person, then we do what has always been done and ransom him according to his stature and the sum his countrymen are willing to pay."
He looked closely at the Salterri man for a moment.
"Perhaps his weight in precious stones?"

"I like the way you think Lord-Marshall, but I feel that those who have lost the most should be compensated first, before a nations such as Celero, as we have lost little to this endeavor, as have other nations present."

The general paused a moment to retrieve a kerchief from his breast pocket and wipe his brow in the heat. His uniform was ill suited for the warmer climes.

"Though I still feel it is a bit early to be discussing ransom as we have yet to determine if this man is responsible of anything more than doing his duty. I am inclined to believe he is not a blameless pawn in this matter, but we have little to go on otherwise."

Elemental
2014-04-10, 01:35 AM
Zarathan bows to General Kinil, obviously a fellow soldier.
"Just Marshall, thank you. And you are indeed correct, but we should leave the division of the ransom until such time as it has been decided upon.
"That said, whether or not Qzare Wandao has merely acted to fulfil his duty or had some ulterior motive, it still does not change the fact that he is an enemy combatant. And as an enemy combatant, he should be held until such time as his freedom has been bought or otherwise negotiated for."

WaylanderX
2014-04-10, 05:59 AM
"So to strike at Crima you rode a hoard against Hrathan-Tuor?" Syana asked, disbelief heavy in her voice, "Are you that ignorant of Northern politics or just stupid? The leader of Crima was a madman who carried out terrorist attacks across the lands. It does not surprise me to find his hand in this, nor does it surprise me that the goblins of Zargrim who did not wish to join the Hurosha Empire would aid him. It was Crima's allies in the great northern war that convinced some goblins to turn on their Kasumori commanders. He was slain and his lands given over to a more reasonable man. Why the Kasumori Empress has brought one of the Goblin rebels who presumably aided in the attack on your Imperium here is beyond me, perhaps simply to identify you."

Syana turned to look at Nyllana and Eljak, making sure her face was away from the Qzare and his men. Nyllana was like an aunt to her and Eljak a cook of a grandfather, she hoped they would pick up on the thread of things.

"In any event the man responsible for the crimes committed against you is dead, his nation dissolved, and it must be that you are ignorant or lying if you believed assaulting Hrathan-Tuor would be a strike against Crima."

"Eljak is the Ambassador of Zargrim and the leader of the inhabitants there. However, we have only suppressed the Bucka rebels recently, so it is entirely possible that they are behind this...emity towards the goblin race."
Nyllana looked Syana in the eyes, hoping the would convey to her that she understood.
"Eljak however, traveled to the border of your Empire together with my father to negotiate for the explorers your country holds in their mines and improve relations with your people."
Nyllana's face hardened.
"And a few months later, Eljak returns, rattled to his bones, with the news that your men attacked my father and killed him in cold blood. And about the matter of attacking Hrathan-Tuor, it is beyond me why you would chose to attack people who are so clearly innocent."

Humperdink nods as they enter, and steps over to Nyllana's side. "Thus far, he's denied all responsibility for anything except marching north. He says all of the atrocities were his fathers', and that he is a moderate. Interestingly, his reason for invasion is... somewhat plausible, if I remember my father's stories rightly." He turns to Eljak, waiting for him to return from his tirade.

In a whisper, he says:

"Eljak, my father always spoke of the mission to the south, saying that he left before he even saw the lands of the Salterri... I strongly suspected that the soldiers on that expedition were very willing to raise chaos down there. So, tell me, is this Qzare pointing the finger to the... correct party? When he accuses the Crimans, did they do it?"

Eljak looked at Humperdink and nodded, beckoning him to come closer. He whispered:
"The Crimans did not take a huge part on that mission. However the Crimans did play a large part in trying to foil our plans we think, although we haven't got exact proof, good lad. However, our cause was just and nobody would have died, except that they are very unreasonable when it comes to outsiders and prisoners, as you heard. Also, there were no soldiers on that mission, except maybe Dyamus and Marius, who didn't survive, Ashmar bless their souls in exalted Prowess. I only escaped with the skin of my teeth. This Qzare is not innocent, young Humperdink, do not let him fool you. Even if his reasons would be somewhat plausable, his actions still reek of rotten eels."

"Ah yes, of course, because only an assassin can cut off a head," Syana said, walking away from the Qzare.

"I do echo Guilder's question however, who cut off these messenger's heads?"

Carefully Syana moved next to the Einguard of Kasumor

"Is Kasumor responsible for this my lady?"

Nyllana looked at Syana from the corners of her eyes and whispered:
"It was not on my orders that this happened. My Ambassadors already questioned their men and came up empty. Also, cutting the heads off messengers? That wouldn't be a very good example of our Prowess, would it my dear?"
Nyllana smiled.

"I like the way you think Lord-Marshall, but I feel that those who have lost the most should be compensated first, before a nations such as Celero, as we have lost little to this endeavor, as have other nations present."

The general paused a moment to retrieve a kerchief from his breast pocket and wipe his brow in the heat. His uniform was ill suited for the warmer climes.

"Though I still feel it is a bit early to be discussing ransom as we have yet to determine if this man is responsible of anything more than doing his duty. I am inclined to believe he is not a blameless pawn in this matter, but we have little to go on otherwise."

Eljak stepped up again, his walking stick waving through the air to gather everyone's attention.

"I might have an idea. There are reports of my infantry that there were socalled Wurm riders present among the enemy ranks that posed quite a challenge to my Hovercraft equiped men. I propose we demand the taming processes and the gear to ride them, together with the wurms themselves as payment. Obviously, the wurms are part of our foes strenght, so an appropriate pushishment would be to gain that strenght of our own. As for the countries that did not partake in the war that much, the technology would offcourse only go to the nations who helped defeat the horde. They can decide afterwards if they would want to share said spoils."

Silverbit
2014-04-10, 06:35 AM
"Do not execute this man! If, and only if, we find that he is guilty of orchestrating this whole war and worthless assault, then we could slay him with a high heart and a clean conscience. Yet so far, though he is guilty of stupidity in leading a force this large to their deaths, we have not determined whether he has been influenced by some malignancy or canker within his home country. Besides, he is a nobleman, or what passes for one amongst the southrons. Spill his blood unduly, and his family and clan will not rest till they have our blood."
Razkai recoverers himself a little.
"As for his ransom, and the dividing of such, we should think as to those who have suffered the most. Razdis desires nothing from this conflict but justice, and the destruction of whoever ordered this wasteful assault on the north."

Morph Bark
2014-04-10, 06:39 AM
"If I may be so free, Empress, I have heard no wish from you for peace." Wandao replied more coolly than before, having regained his posture. "I insisted the war was just, that much is true, and you will all find that I am a man who holds justice in high regard. In fact, I can say with certainty there is at most one lie I have helped foster here, one that may not even be a lie at all! A half-lie, while few of you have yet to speak much truths or tell me where the assassins of Lann Qďng came from. Certainly not Crima, if you'd be so stupid!"

His words were spirited, and as he went on filled with more fire, until they were spat out while yet his face remained calm in eerie contrast. "The first thing we came to know of the north was that Crima was the greatest foe you were all fighting against, while it was your soldiers that had been taken captive in my father's time for trying to take control of two of our coastal cities! You can rest assured, however, that this general 'Bortek' you so prize now adorns the salted bridge of sinners!"

You notice a creased line behind his ears towards his throat that flares open at times when he spits out the latter words.

TheWombatOfDoom
2014-04-10, 07:12 AM
"My people were driven from the regions of the south by the Kells long ago. You may have heard of the Kingdom of Lyradis, then too. What can you tell me of our homelands? The Kells? As for my involvement, I was asked to send troops to defend an ally, per an alliance my country made with Hrthan-Tuor."

((don't know if you missed this or not, morph, so I'm quoting it to makes sure.))

lt_murgen
2014-04-10, 07:55 AM
I've been here all of five minutes and already I cannot tolerate this idiocy. Hrathan received no messengers of Slaterri origin, and we executed none. You have offered nothing but baseless accusations.

Nathanias walks out, addressing Syana as he goes.

I go now to my father to obtain permission to carry out the execution. He has until I return to come up with something to make his life worth sparing.

Samhell Bellami stood and exited with the man, missing the protests behind him.

Nathanias, please, may I walk with you?

The lean, gangly man from the Jeweled Cities speaks quietly to Nathanias. His tone is calm and articulate, a far cry from how he appeared while questioning the prisoner. "Your assessment of the situation is brilliant. The man seeks only to sow confusion and dissent amongst people the Salterri expected to find divided."
"My Regina speaks of peace, and I must honor her edicts and play the role she gave me. But in the end, I will not stand against you, the most practical one here."

SamBurke
2014-04-10, 09:57 AM
"I might have an idea. There are reports of my infantry that there were socalled Wurm riders present among the enemy ranks that posed quite a challenge to my Hovercraft equiped men. I propose we demand the taming processes and the gear to ride them, together with the wurms themselves as payment. Obviously, the wurms are part of our foes strenght, so an appropriate pushishment would be to gain that strenght of our own. As for the countries that did not partake in the war that much, the technology would offcourse only go to the nations who helped defeat the horde. They can decide afterwards if they would want to share said spoils."
Humperdink nods. "It has long been the tradition amongst the great Princes of Guilder to pay what's called a "ransom" for their freedom. Being as it is one that will hobble their invasion capabilities, but not their ability to defend, I find this a very wise statement, and support it.

"As to his execution, unless I Hear statement of him having done something not in accordance with war, I withdraw Guilderene support from his death. Ransom, yes, death, no. We have all done the same actions in war: marched for the good of our people, used what seems to be as a cover for our victory. All this is good, right, normal even. If we ourselves have done it, we may not execute him for the same. But, we may still require his people to pay the cost of his return, and I suggest that we do. All those who are here be given that technology immediately."

ImperatorV
2014-04-10, 10:39 AM
Samhell Bellami stood and exited with the man, missing the protests behind him.

Nathanias, please, may I walk with you?

The lean, gangly man from the Jeweled Cities speaks quietly to Nathanias. His tone is calm and articulate, a far cry from how he appeared while questioning the prisoner. "Your assessment of the situation is brilliant. The man seeks only to sow confusion and dissent amongst people the Salterri expected to find divided."
"My Regina speaks of peace, and I must honor her edicts and play the role she gave me. But in the end, I will not stand against you, the most practical one here."

Certainly.
Nathanias nods after hearing his speech.

"The man tried to invade my country. By rights he should be dead already. The longer he lives, the more chance he has to do us harm. I'm glad you see that this is the reasonable course of action."

QuintonBeck
2014-04-10, 11:24 AM
Getting information from the Qzare was clearly not going to happen with all these nations present. Too many people for any amount of organization or concentrated information gathering.

"I call for a vote!" Syana said at last, her voice rising above the din, "Execution, Imprisonment, or Ransom! Upon the return of the Guildmaster and the Jeweled Cities representative let us decide the fate of this man."

Silverbit
2014-04-10, 11:36 AM
"I cast my vote early; imprison the southron general! To kill him would be folly; and to allow him back unharmed, whilst it may benefit those touched by the Salterri's evil in the short run, would be a mistake. Razdis or Elbaraz have pits enough to keep a southron worm."

Bolding votes might be a good idea.

SamBurke
2014-04-10, 11:36 AM
"I believe Guilder has made its position clear. We vote for a ransom."

Morph Bark
2014-04-10, 12:30 PM
((don't know if you missed this or not, morph, so I'm quoting it to makes sure.))

(OOC: Whether I missed it is prolly less the point than whether Wandao missed it. Quite likely with so many asking for his attention. Perhaps the question is best asked later rather than sooner.)

TheWombatOfDoom
2014-04-10, 12:37 PM
"Enough." Lyra says, calmness breaking slightly. "I propose we take this outside. Discussion of sentencing is meant to be done in private, not in front of a prisioner. The more discussion we have in front of him, the more information we are giving him with no information gained." Lyra motions the leaders outside, and before she leaves, she ensures a heavy guard of soldiers remain with the prisioners.

QuintonBeck
2014-04-10, 12:51 PM
Syana followed the Lady Lyra outside, waiting for the Lyradissian woman to speak whatever urgency had compelled her to gather everyone again outside. It was unlikely the flap of a tent would keep their voices from the captive, but considering all pretenses for actually getting answers seemed to have been dismissed it was well enough she might enjoy the fresh air while everyone prattled on without conclusion. She kept her face neutral so as not to betray these thoughts, but her foot tapped impulsively with impatience. Korath noticed and moved to block it from the view of the other delegates prompting a slight smile from Syana though she did not look at her silent husband.

TheWombatOfDoom
2014-04-10, 01:04 PM
Lyra does not stop after everyone exits the tent, and instead leads them to the centeralized war tent that the leaders had used for planning out the battle with the Salterri. The bustle and hustle of the camp was loud, but she knew the farther they were away from the prisioner, the better.

When all had arrived, she turned on the group. "You realize what he was doing, don't you? All of you bickering about what you're going to do with him, arguing with him while he contradicted and baited you. Not only did he gain information each time you spoke, but as I watched, it seemed like he was easily gaining it each time you questioned him, while you got crumbs or nothing from him. Blazes, he claimed you all as weak allies, and you showed him just that by fighting amongst yourselves. This is no way of questioning. Perhaps we should each go in one by one, rather than all at once. Too many men on one ship."

QuintonBeck
2014-04-10, 01:32 PM
"And then he only tells different stories to different people," Syana said, "It's why we were to all be there, though I had hoped we might be able to take turns in our questioning but that seems to not work."

Logic
2014-04-11, 01:29 AM
General Kinil watched as Lady Lyra left the tent, followed by the Empress of Woodwind. He did not wait for any more to leave before addressing the prisoner.

"Qzare, you are aware of what you have been accused, correct? You are entitled to certain rights, by common law, that state you cannot be executed without a trial presided over by an impartial magistrate. If the issue is pushed, I am willing and able to assume the role of the magistrate, but my honor forbids me from presiding over a kangaroo court."

The Celerese General surveyed those that had remained, looking over their angry faces before addressing the leaders gathered there.

"I know you want justice. But we also need information. Killing this man deprives us of both. Ransoming this man likely does the same. I hope you can agree that the most obvious course of action is to hold this man held as a prisoner of war with a proper trial."

SamBurke
2014-04-11, 03:00 PM
General Kinil watched as Lady Lyra left the tent, followed by the Empress of Woodwind. He did not wait for any more to leave before addressing the prisoner.

"Qzare, you are aware of what you have been accused, correct? You are entitled to certain rights, by common law, that state you cannot be executed without a trial presided over by an impartial magistrate. If the issue is pushed, I am willing and able to assume the role of the magistrate, but my honor forbids me from presiding over a kangaroo court."

The Celerese General surveyed those that had remained, looking over their angry faces before addressing the leaders gathered there.

"I know you want justice. But we also need information. Killing this man deprives us of both. Ransoming this man likely does the same. I hope you can agree that the most obvious course of action is to hold this man held as a prisoner of war with a proper trial."

Humperdink shakes his head. "Trial first, information second, ransom afterwards. No conflict whatsoever!" He breaks into one of his rare grins. "Count on Guilder for that."

QuintonBeck
2014-04-12, 12:46 PM
((OOC: We really need to decide what to do with this guy. I think we should go through with the vote. Especially considering I just got this.

Milady,

I find myself in an embarrassing position. I have been requested by Qzare Xiu Hanyeo to undertake a secret mission during my visit to your empire, viz. to discover where his brother is being held captive, in preparation for a potential rescue attempt. The Salterri are my ultimate overlords and have never been aught but generous - if a little condescending at times - and therefore I feel honour-bound to make at least a token effort in this regard.

However, to use the invitation to the Grand Ball as a platform from which to conduct espionage against mine host would be a most grievous abuse of hospitality and therefore I feel obliged to notify you.

If I may make so bold, it might actually be to your advantage to allow me to fulfil this request from the Salterri. By the time I return to Jarrland following the ball, you will have held Qzare Xiu Wandao for several years and any information you have not gleaned from him by that time will probably never be forthcoming. Further, the diplomatic and military value of the Qzare as a hostage can only decline with time. The value of a trusted channel (i.e. my embassy) to leak information to the Salterri in future might outweigh the immediate value of keeping him prisoner. Alternatively, in the event that such information were to be passed to the Salterri with your connivance, you could make use of the opportunity to spring a trap.

These matters of global politics are largely a mystery to me, but I will always remember and strive to help my friends and those who treat me with honour and respect.

I leave further decisions in your hands.

Yours,

- Athelmark, King &c.

I don't think we're going to get any information, so what if we just had him attend the Grand Ball and then I could tell Aedilred to bring the ransom and he can recover the Qzare at the Ball. As for what the ransom could be, having the Salt sign something akin to agreeing not to attack any of us up north and to begin trade with whoever is interested in that would be decent I think))

SamBurke
2014-04-12, 02:18 PM
((OOC: We really need to decide what to do with this guy. I think we should go through with the vote. Especially considering I just got this.

I don't think we're going to get any information, so what if we just had him attend the Grand Ball and then I could tell Aedilred to bring the ransom and he can recover the Qzare at the Ball. As for what the ransom could be, having the Salt sign something akin to agreeing not to attack any of us up north and to begin trade with whoever is interested in that would be decent I think))

No attack, certainly, but I'm in favor of getting some tech off 'em.

QuintonBeck
2014-04-12, 03:26 PM
According to the nation post put up by Morph the only techs they have are Plate Armor, Ocean Faring Ships, and Wurm Riding. Considering without the Wurm resource that third one is useless there's really nothing to gain.

SamBurke
2014-04-12, 03:31 PM
According to the nation post put up by Morph the only techs they have are Plate Armor, Ocean Faring Ships, and Wurm Riding. Considering without the Wurm resource that third one is useless there's really nothing to gain.

I disagree. Since Griffons can be used for Thestrals/Pegasi, and Berunda tech can be used for Pterydactls, I presume that Wurm Tech can be used without the resource, on similar creatures. Therefore, it is highly valuable. Besides that, we should be trading for dragons anyway. :smalltongue:

QuintonBeck
2014-04-12, 04:49 PM
I disagree. Since Griffons can be used for Thestrals/Pegasi, and Berunda tech can be used for Pterydactls, I presume that Wurm Tech can be used without the resource, on similar creatures. Therefore, it is highly valuable. Besides that, we should be trading for dragons anyway. :smalltongue:

We don't even know what the wurms are. In any event, getting the technology to everyone can be done, but I'm saying there's not much being gained by it.

SamBurke
2014-04-12, 06:07 PM
We don't even know what the wurms are. In any event, getting the technology to everyone can be done, but I'm saying there's not much being gained by it.

I'm just concerned that they have "wurm riding technology." Figure we all should be. So that's a benefit, regardless... and besides, getting an exclusive tech is definitely something gained.

Logic
2014-04-12, 08:12 PM
(OOC: I vote that we have the highest Diplomacy present make a roll for a true trial of Qzare Xiu Wandao, and use it as part of the actions next round. If there are no takers, I could do it, but my diplomacy isn't the greatest.)

SamBurke
2014-04-12, 08:57 PM
(OOC: I vote that we have the highest Diplomacy present make a roll for a true trial of Qzare Xiu Wandao, and use it as part of the actions next round. If there are no takers, I could do it, but my diplomacy isn't the greatest.)

I rolled low on it. I'll have D5 next turn, but that's it.

Silverbit
2014-04-13, 08:31 AM
I'm ok with ransoming him, though I'd prefer to imprison. Gaining Wurm riding tech would be a good idea, I think. We might find it benefiting us in other ways. I'd also like Plate Armour as well, I don't have it.

QuintonBeck
2014-04-13, 06:40 PM
We have to do something with him else we're going to be caught in another war. Let's return him to the Salt with the Jarrs delegation at the Ball under a vow to not pursue violence against the north again and with an agreement to make available to all the countries in the OP of this thread all known technologies of the Salterri Imperium. He probably won't accept it, in which case I say we just return him under the no violence vow. There's too many nations with too many disparate beliefs involved to come to a perfectly satisfactory conclusion so we have to settle for what we can get.

SamBurke
2014-04-13, 10:14 PM
We have to do something with him else we're going to be caught in another war. Let's return him to the Salt with the Jarrs delegation at the Ball under a vow to not pursue violence against the north again and with an agreement to make available to all the countries in the OP of this thread all known technologies of the Salterri Imperium. He probably won't accept it, in which case I say we just return him under the no violence vow. There's too many nations with too many disparate beliefs involved to come to a perfectly satisfactory conclusion so we have to settle for what we can get.

That sounds like a great deal! Guilder backs it.

Logic
2014-04-14, 12:43 AM
(OOC: Start at the bargaining position of strength, hear counter-proposals until we get them to accept.

Basic Guilderine bargaining.)

Elemental
2014-04-14, 03:03 AM

This actually sounds like a good idea. It shows the Salterri we're not savages who should be exterminated at least. Just make sure he agrees to recall his fleet from Cassia.

QuintonBeck
2014-04-14, 08:23 AM
This actually sounds like a good idea. It shows the Salterri we're not savages who should be exterminated at least. Just make sure he agrees to recall his fleet from Cassia.

I feel like he's going to refuse that since they see Cassia as their land. I mean, I'll make the demand, but I just don't feel like we're going to be able to negotiate much even though we obliterated 20,000 of his men.

Silverbit
2014-04-14, 08:24 AM

Sounds fine to me.

lt_murgen
2014-04-14, 09:38 AM
Black Sam, upon returning, will quietly suggest to those who will listen to him that, should we put it to a vote, each member state who fought get one vote, with one vote per 1000 men lost to those who lost tropps.

In that manner, those who sacrificed the most have the largest voice.

TheWombatOfDoom
2014-04-14, 10:34 AM
Black Sam, upon returning, will quietly suggest to those who will listen to him that, should we put it to a vote, each member state who fought get one vote, with one vote per 1000 men lost to those who lost tropps.

In that manner, those who sacrificed the most have the largest voice.

What of those who fought but did not lose men?

QuintonBeck
2014-04-14, 11:23 AM
What of those who fought but did not lose men?

I believe the proposal is everyone who fought gets 1 vote with one additional vote per 1,000 men lost. At this point though I'm just gonna try and talk with the Qzare at the Ball and then ship him back to the Salterri with the best deal I can manage. I won't make the talk with him secret, I'll have a scribe IC and the thread will be open OOC for people to look at, but ultimately he's going home with the Jarrs as long as he agrees to the single stipulation of leaving everyone north of 26/30 alone.

SamBurke
2014-04-14, 02:40 PM
I agree on the vote, but I think it should based on the number of troops given, not lost. This rewards those who helped most with the most choice in the results of the success they engineered.

QuintonBeck
2014-04-17, 10:57 AM
Conclusion, feel free to read (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?342117-Empire!-Royal-Society-for-the-Prevention-of-Cruelty-to-the-Qzare-Private&p=17307380&viewfull=1#post17307380)