PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Varieties of Masterwork Tools?

TheCorsairMalac
2014-04-03, 01:35 PM
In the rulebooks it says that a 'Masterwork Tool' provides +2 on the relevant skill. For some skills, when only trying to get a few ranks, these tools could nearly cut the skill point cost in half. Some of these tools are already listed, but the rest are left up to the imagination.

Here's my problem: Some skills don't use tools, or at least not tools that I can readily think of. Would you guys please help me think of an applicable mundane tool for each skill? (If possible, that is. Use your imagination.) I'll add them to the list as we go.

Thanks to all who have helped so far!

For each skill, the most reasonable and widely applicable item will be listed first.

Appraise - Magnifying glass, Merchant's scale
Balance - Grippy/Unrestrictive boots, Collapsible balance pole
Bluff - Jewelry/Accessory/Makeup case, Clothing/Accessories to match the bluff
Climb - Climber's kit
Concentration - Personal keepsake, Meditation incense
Craft - Artisan's Tools, Alchemist's lab
Decipher Script - Codebook/Encyclopedia of obscure languages
Diplomacy - Perfume/Cologne, Fancy Clothing
Disable Device - MW Thief's tools
Disguise - Disguise kit
Escape Artist - Slippery/Tear-away clothing, bladed ring
Forgery - MW Pens, Rare inks
Gather Information - A platinum coin, Pictures/Documents related to search
Handle Animal - MW Treats, MW Whistle/Whip,
Heal - Healer's kit
Hide - Camouflaged/Multi-layered cloak
Intimidate - MW Tattoos, Frightening armor
Jump - Vaulting pole, Spring shoes
Knowledge - Book on the topic
Listen - Ear trumpet/Listening cone
Move Silently - Soft-soled boots, Specifically quieted armor
Open Lock - MW Thief's tools
Perform - MW Instrument
Profession - Artisan's tools
Ride - MW Saddle/Tack
Search - Magnifying glass, Thin--but protective--gloves
Sense Motive - Book about body language/Liar's Habits, Gnomish Polygraph
Sleight Of Hand - Extra pockets/Magician's Topit, Bladed ring
Speak Language - Translation dictionary
Spellcraft - Spectrum-filtering glasses, Encyclopedia of spellcasting methods
Spot - MW Glasses, Spyglass
Survival - Survival kit, Area-specific gear
Swim - Flippers, Floatation device
Tumble - Knee/Elbow pads, Acrobatic wear
Use Magic Device - Conductive/mithral gloves
Use Rope - Specialized gloves, Silk rope

TheCorsairMalac
2014-04-03, 01:36 PM
Reserved, just in case.

AnonymousPepper
2014-04-03, 01:38 PM
UMD could be a set of gloves (doesn't overlap with any magical gloves, for the sake of gameplay) that works sort of like a modern biofeedback machine, except with magic. The user feels the flow of energy through the magical item in their fingertips and can thus adjust on the fly their gestures to make the thing work.

lytokk
2014-04-03, 01:48 PM
I like to give my characters a low--but useful--rank in some skills. (Heal for example, needs only an effective skill of 5 to stabilize folks after combat or provide long term care on a take-10.)

In the rulebooks it says that a 'Masterwork Tool' provides +2 on the relevant skill. For some skills, when only trying to get a few ranks, these tools could nearly cut the skill point cost in half. Some of these tools are already listed, but the rest are left up to the imagination.

Here's my problem: Some skills don't use tools, or at least not tools that I can readily think of. Would you guys please help me think of an applicable mundane tool for each skill? (If possible, that is. Use your imagination.) I'll add them to the list as we go. Don't give redundant ones please. One or two per skill is plenty.

Balance special pair of boots designed to hold you firmer to the ground, stronger grip
Bluff
Climb - Climber's kit
Concentration
Craft - Alchemist's lab, "Artisan's Tools"
Decipher Script
Diplomacy the right set of clothing
Disguise - Disguise kit
Escape Artist
Forgery expensive inks
Gather Information
Handle Animal a carrot or a piece of meat
Heal - Healer's kit
Hide camouflage
Intimidate
Jump
Knowledge
Listen
Move Silently
Perform
Ride masterwork saddle
Search doesn't magnifying glass work here too
Sense Motive
Sleight Of Hand
Speak Language
Spellcraft
Spot
Survival swiss army knife/multitool, compass for finding direction
Swim flippers
Tumble
Use Magic Device
Use Rope

My Additions in bold, just a few thoughts on possible masterwork items to grant skill bonuses.

Forrestfire
2014-04-03, 02:01 PM
My additions in gray.

Balance - Collapsible balance pole, Very well-made clothing and shoes that allows a full range of movement to find the perfect stance for balancing
Bluff - Clothing and a haircut that makes you especially believable in the situation (might also be rolled into a Disguise tool).
Climb - Climber's kit, spiked gloves and shoes to grip a wall
Concentration - Incense used in a morning morning meditation, A character-specific item (for example, a warblade I'm playing has a masterwork concentration tool in the form of his wedding ring, because all of his uses of the skill are in combat, and it helps remind him of both what he's fighting for and that he has to survive, so he can go home to his wife).
Decipher Script - A book of obscure language alphabets, A magnifying glass for reading and deciphering especially difficult characters.
Diplomacy - Clothing that makes you fit in with the mark (or generically-good-looking clothing that makes you more likable to a variety of people), A self-help book on how to talk to people.
Disguise - Disguise kit, A chest full of various outfits to fit the disguise.
Escape Artist - A ring with a flip-out razor blade for cutting through bindings, Clothing that can be shifted in or taken off easily to slip out of a trap.
Forgery - Excellent inks and stationary, A folder full of examples of documents that you want to forge.
Gather Information - A list of the best places with people "in the know", A book full of dirt on various people and organizations.
Handle Animal - Masterwork animal whistles, Exceptionally well-made treats.
Heal - Healer's kit, Masterwork surgeon's tools.
Hide - Camouflage clothing, A cloak designed to blend into shadows well.
Intimidate - Spikes on your armor, Clothing that makes you look like someone you really don't want to mess with (example: the right sort of suit in a town ruled by a mafia).
Jump - Moon shoes (http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgz9wpepTU1qhpzp8o1_400.jpg), Clothing that allows for a full range of motion when moving and jumping.
Knowledge - Books on the topic.
Listen A cone to press against a door, A masterwork magic hearing aid.
Move Silently - Muffled shoes, Clothing where all the clanking bits are muffled and/or strapped down.
Perform - Masterwork instruments
Ride - Masterwork saddle
Search - Glasses that improve your vision, Well-made gloves that you can feel through nicely, but still protect your hands from anything nasty while searching.
Sense Motive
Sleight Of Hand - Clothing with lots of pockets and pouches to sleight of hand things away to.
Speak Language - A translation dictionary (Note: this skill is never rolled, it's just a measure of how many languages you know)
Spellcraft - Glasses that help you see magic in the air, An encyclopedia of spellcasting methods, studied each morning.
Spot - Glasses that improve your vision, A masterwork spyglass.
Survival - A set of tools for harvesting food, getting through the wilderness, and the like (example: good boots and a machete).
Swim - Flippers, Water wings
Tumble - Clothing that allows for a full range of motion, Pads on your joints
Use Magic Device
Use Rope

Damian1335
2014-04-03, 02:07 PM
Lesse Ideas.
Bluff: It'd be largely situational stuff. Well made Badge to make people think you're with the guard, forged documents/etc.
Diplomacy: Perfumes, Like Iy said proper clothing.
Escape Artist: Grease, Slippery Clothing or similar kind of things.
Gather Infomation: Like most social skills, Related Documents for what you're trying to gather, Pictures if trying to find someone.
Intimidate: Armour with 'scary'/'intimidating esc design. Something that would naturally frighten what you're trying to intimidate/make you seem like you do have more power over.
Jump: Spring loaded underpants, Clearly.
Knowledge: Book/Other source of related information. More situational. (Book on Things from the abyss will help with Knw Planes on demons, not so much on celestials.)
Sense Motive: Stumped me here.
Sleight of Hand: Clothing that makes your movements less obvious.. Bout all I can think of.
Speak Language: Translation Book.
Spellcraft: Books, Items related to the kind of magic.
Spot: Magnifying glass, Spy glass for distance (High quality one for removing penalty for distance, and adding the bonus because very clear glass or what have you.)
Tumble: Clothing that offers good traction, or lets you move around easier.
Use Rope: High Quality Rope is. The only thing I can presume.

Right. So my list-making skills suck but either way my suggestions/ideas. Also because it is needed:
Likewise, just because a fake beard woven by dwarves out of the beards of famous dwarves may grant a +2 circumstance bonus on Use Magic Device checks to emulate the dwarven race doesn't mean the beard has any effect on using that skill to activate elven items or paladin items, or to decipher a written spell. (Legitimate Example provided on the SRD, and I presume from a book aswell.)

KoboldsAreLittl
2014-04-03, 02:12 PM
I like to give my characters a low--but useful--rank in some skills. (Heal for example, needs only an effective skill of 5 to stabilize folks after combat or provide long term care on a take-10.)

Here's my problem: Some skills don't use tools, or at least not tools that I can readily think of. Would you guys please help me think of an applicable mundane tool for each skill? (If possible, that is. Use your imagination.) I'll add them to the list as we go. Don't give redundant ones please. One or two per skill is plenty.

Balance
Bluff
Climb - Climber's kit
Concentration
Decipher Script
Diplomacy
Disguise - Disguise kit
Escape Artist
Forgery
Gather Information
Handle Animal
Heal - Healer's kit
Hide
Intimidate
Jump
Knowledge
Listen
Move Silently
Perform
Ride
Search
Sense Motive
Sleight Of Hand
Speak Language
Spellcraft
Spot
Survival
Swim
Tumble
Use Magic Device
Use Rope

Really, the tools are only limited by your imagination: for Decipher Script, you could have a manual to reference, Move Silently could be a soft padding that you apply to your shoes, Intimidate could be a scary mask, for any of the knowledges, a book on the relevant topics could be considered, escape artist can be tear away clothing, each type of perform would require something different, but something like a megaphone for oratory, a special pair of shoes for dance, etc. Generally speaking, my DM makes his players come up with a reasonable bonus-adding item. For my cleric, a fancy bible was my masterwork Knowledge religion tool, and he had a variety of special herbs and foods for a masterwork Handle Animal tool.

TheCorsairMalac
2014-04-03, 02:40 PM
Really, the tools are only limited by your imagination: for Decipher Script, you could have a manual to reference, Move Silently could be a soft padding that you apply to your shoes, Intimidate could be a scary mask, for any of the knowledges, a book on the relevant topics could be considered, escape artist can be tear away clothing, each type of perform would require something different, but something like a megaphone for oratory, a special pair of shoes for dance, etc. Generally speaking, my DM makes his players come up with a reasonable bonus-adding item. For my cleric, a fancy bible was my masterwork Knowledge religion tool, and he had a variety of special herbs and foods for a masterwork Handle Animal tool.

You've pointed out both of my needs right there! 8D I want them to be items that most any DM will accept, but I'm having a hard time coming up with them on my own.

Thankfully you guys have come up with some awesome ones!

Tear-away clothing would be amazing for escaping grapples. =D And in my own group a cleric recently picked up a book of scripture, I think I'll point out to him that it grants +2. Thank you for the ideas!

TheCorsairMalac
2014-04-03, 02:42 PM
Use Rope: High Quality Rope is. The only thing I can presume.

Yeah, that's all I could think of too... but naturally we'd all prefer something that worked on any random rope you came across. I'll keep thinking and searching.

Perfume is a good idea. So are the related documents for gather information. Thank you!

TheCorsairMalac
2014-04-03, 02:44 PM
Concentration - Incense used in a morning morning meditation, A character-specific item (for example, a warblade I'm playing has a masterwork concentration tool in the form of his wedding ring, because all of his uses of the skill are in combat, and it helps remind him of both what he's fighting for and that he has to survive, so he can go home to his wife).

Awesome! A personal memento is a great idea for concentration. Thank you!

Inevitability
2014-04-03, 02:48 PM
I'm currently playing an awakened tiny monstrous spider in a campaign (Awesome DM), whose +2-to-move-silently tools are footwraps made from his own spider silk.

Forrestfire
2014-04-03, 02:49 PM
Awesome! A personal memento is a great idea for concentration. Thank you!

It's a really neat idea that I'm surprised I haven't seen more often. My DM really liked it too :smallbiggrin:

Azoth
2014-04-03, 03:07 PM
Sense Motive: Cosmo: How to Tell IF Your Man is Hiding Something and 101 Ways to Make Him Pay For It Edition!

...or just a guide book on common pathologies of a liar...ya know...whichever.

Doc_Maynot
2014-04-03, 03:27 PM
One of my character's had a Floating Spellbook (Complete Arcane) as an Item Familiar. He spent money to expand the pages in his book to write down various notes about skills. (Masterwork tool prices) The book, "Omni" would relay the information in the form of helpful reminders to the character as he was doing them.

Slipperychicken
2014-04-03, 03:57 PM
Sense Motive: Cosmo: How to Tell IF Your Man is Hiding Something and 101 Ways to Make Him Pay For It Edition!

+2 to Sense Motive checks to detect infidelity, but (unbeknownst to the user) adds a 20% chance of false positive with each Sense Motive roll to which the bonus applies, due to the magazine writers' poor grasp of the subject matter. In the event of a false positive, the user is thoroughly and sincerely convinced that the target of the Sense Motive check is lying, whether this is actually the case or not. Once so instilled, no amount of reason or evidence can remove this perception. This effect is nonmagical and can only be removed with via Mindrape, Limited Wish, Wish, Miracle, or by the target begging the user for forgiveness (a process requiring at least fifteen minutes and a DC 15 Bluff check, for which a natural 1 always indicates failure) and immediately thereafter giving the user an appropriate gift worth at least 100gp for each hit die the user possesses. If the gift is given but the Bluff check failed, the user retains his/her perception, and that gift is wasted. If the target wishes to re-attempt this check (as there is no restriction on how many times this can be attempted, although each previous failed attempt increases the Bluff DC by 2), he or she must use a different gift than before.

TheCorsairMalac
2014-04-04, 06:46 PM
I'm currently playing an awakened tiny monstrous spider in a campaign (Awesome DM), whose +2-to-move-silently tools are footwraps made from his own spider silk.

Lol! How fun! 8D I bet being a spider makes diplomacy checks a bit of a pain. XD

Roog
2014-04-04, 06:48 PM
Bluff: Holy symbol of the God of Truth

Techwarrior
2014-04-04, 07:03 PM
Yeah, that's all I could think of too... but naturally we'd all prefer something that worked on any random rope you came across. I'll keep thinking and searching.

I'm pretty sure Silk Rope is supposed to be the masterwork tool for the Use Rope skill.

Vedhin
2014-04-04, 07:57 PM
Forgery: Worth mentioning that items that give stacking bonuses to this skill are scattered about in various books.
Gather Information: Platinum piece (consumed)
Jump: Vaulting pole
Perform (act): Invisible box (for miming) [need to make a mime-bard now]
Perform (comedy): Bannana peel, pie, anvil, etc.
Perform (dance): Shoes
Perform (oratory): Soapbox, mnemonic item for remembering epics of old (a bard of mine has the latter)
Perform (sing): A prop appropriate to the genre/style/topic/etc. (a viking helmet for opera?)
Perform (weapon drill): The weapon
Use Magic Device: Something that makes you feel more magical (to better convince the item). A classic wizard hat is good.

And non-core:

Autohypnosis: Scented satchel, one of those pendant-thingys hypnotists are portrayed with, anything to help you calm down.
Control Shape: Wolfsbane?
Iaijutsu Focus: Sheath
Lucid Dreaming: Pajamas
Martial Lore: As Knowledge
Psicraft: As Spellcraft
Truespeak: Truespeech pronunciation guide
Use Psionic Device: As Use Magic Device

TheCorsairMalac
2014-04-04, 08:10 PM
I'm pretty sure Silk Rope is supposed to be the masterwork tool for the Use Rope skill.

Only until we can think of a better one! ;)

Inevitability
2014-04-04, 11:58 PM
Lol! How fun! 8D I bet being a spider makes diplomacy checks a bit of a pain. XD

Dungeon Crawling campaign. The only diplomacy he's ever attempted is to convince another spider to not attack the party.

gorfnab
2014-04-05, 02:12 AM
Use Magic Device - a book entitled Lies to Tell Magic Items

Deophaun
2014-04-05, 03:51 AM
Perform (comedy): Bannana peel, pie, anvil, etc.
How do you acquire a masterwork banana peel?

Some that I've used:

Decipher Script: Gnomish Difference Engine (2,000 gp; 500lbs, tended to also be magically enchanted)
Diplomacy: Alcohol (type dependent on recipient)
Intimidate: Mask with mane to make you look both frightening and bigger than normal. +2 intimidate, -2 Hide. Mask without mane only works on creatures with Int greater than 3, but loses the Hide penalty.
Knowledge: Guide books (+2 to untrained knowledge checks, may make knowledge checks up to DC 15; beyond that you're looking at libraries as per SBG)
Spellcraft: Spectacles with changeable lenses (think National Treasure, +2 when using Detect Magic). Litmus kit (+2 to identify potions).
UMD: Wand grips. Artificers may have masterwork lab equipment "feng-shui-ed" to aid their current project (50 gp each time). Scrolls may be made to bestow a masterwork circumstance bonus (5 gp).

Kurald Galain
2014-04-05, 03:54 AM
For Sleight of Hand you should consider a razor ring.

(edit) Also, from an earlier thread on the same topic,
o Appraise: magnifying glass, scales
o Balance: balancing rod, I guess
o Bluff: sunglasses, formal clothing
o Climb: rope (doesn't really make sense), spiked shoes (better)
o Concentration: one of those zen focus thingies
o Craft
o Decipher Script: magnifying glass, again
o Diplomacy: formal clothing, perfume
o Disable Device: general toolkit
o Disguise: make-up kit
o Escape Artist: er, slippery oil? or something?
o Forgery: ah, I figured it out. Formal signet rings and stamps and wax and such.
o Gather Information: local fashionable clothing, perfume, towel!
o Handle Animal: whip, cookies
o Heal: healing kit
o Hide: camouflage clothing
o Intimidate: scary make-up
o Jump: go go gadget springs, pole
o Knowledge: books
o Listen: one of those cone thingies
o Move Silently: padded boots
o Open Lock: lockpicks
o Perform: instrument (or, soapbox, megaphone, note cards, etc)
o Profession
o Ride: saddle
o Search: magnifying glass, again
o Sense Motive: mood ring??
o Sleight Of Hand: a razor ring or sharpened coin
o Spellcraft: some magical gizmo?
o Spot: glasses because you're nearsighted???
o Survival: how-to guide, swiss army knife
o Swim: flotation device?
o Tumble: slippery oil again?
o Use Magic Device: big red button
o Use Rope: the rope, I suppose

Inevitability
2014-04-05, 05:38 AM
How do you acquire a masterwork banana peel?

Awaken an banana tree, and let it take skill points in Craft (banana). The next time it is going to bear fruit, it makes a Craft (banana) check, and the banana's it bear will be masterwork. Next, harvest the banana's, and sell them to bards.

deuxhero
2014-04-05, 05:53 AM
Bluff (for feinting): Hakama or similar clothing that hides your fine movement.

Biotroll
2014-04-05, 09:23 AM
UMD: In our games we used it only once but it looked like this: A manual on theory of magic flow and magic items, gloves with mithral and adamantine threads in them (to allow you feel the magic flow better) and amulet made of some crystal I forgot that when touching your skin would prevent minor backfires/backslash of magic flow and allow you to concentrate on using the item better. It cost 300 gp in our game though.

Vedhin
2014-04-05, 09:55 AM
Awaken an banana tree, and let it take skill points in Craft (banana). The next time it is going to bear fruit, it makes a Craft (banana) check, and the banana's it bear will be masterwork. Next, harvest the banana's, and sell them to bards.

Alternatively, prepare the banana with a Craft (food) check. If you get high enough, you get a masterwork meal (for Diplomacy or other social skills), and a masterwork banana peel.

Socratov
2014-04-05, 09:59 AM

...or just a guide book on common pathologies of a liar...ya know...whichever.

+2 to Sense Motive checks to detect infidelity, but (unbeknownst to the user) adds a 20% chance of false positive with each Sense Motive roll to which the bonus applies, due to the magazine writers' poor grasp of the subject matter. In the event of a false positive, the user is thoroughly and sincerely convinced that the target of the Sense Motive check is lying, whether this is actually the case or not. Once so instilled, no amount of reason or evidence can remove this perception. This effect is nonmagical and can only be removed with via Mindrape, Limited Wish, Wish, Miracle, or by the target begging the user for forgiveness (a process requiring at least fifteen minutes and a DC 15 Bluff check, for which a natural 1 always indicates failure) and immediately thereafter giving the user an appropriate gift worth at least 100gp for each hit die the user possesses. If the gift is given but the Bluff check failed, the user retains his/her perception, and that gift is wasted. If the target wishes to re-attempt this check (as there is no restriction on how many times this can be attempted, although each previous failed attempt increases the Bluff DC by 2), he or she must use a different gift than before.

Colour me impressed. This is [expletive] brilliant!

On topic though, currently I'm building a coroner/aspiring necromancer/warlock in E6 that caries around a set of masterwork surgical tools for profession (coroner). Includes scalpels, tongs, clasps and surgical needle and thread (for stitching)

Deophaun
2014-04-05, 07:23 PM
Alternatively, prepare the banana with a Craft (food) check. If you get high enough, you get a masterwork meal (for Diplomacy or other social skills), and a masterwork banana peel.
Not sure if you mean this to be blue...

DigoDragon
2014-04-05, 09:05 PM
One GM I gamed with had given us a pair of reading glasses that gave the masterwork bonus to Sense Motive. A sharp vision to better "read" body language.

PersonMan
2014-04-06, 03:27 AM
Looking at the uses of Use Rope, I'd say that a special pair of gloves would work. Sections of it catch, others are made to slide off of rope (or have rope slide off of them), so you can do things like tie a knot around your finger then slip it off, or use the back of your hand to hold one part of a complex knot off to the side while you finish the rest. Securing a grappling hook is made easier by the sliding side used during the initial throw and during splicing you can catch individual threads with the catching side.

TheCorsairMalac
2014-04-14, 12:59 AM
One GM I gamed with had given us a pair of reading glasses that gave the masterwork bonus to Sense Motive. A sharp vision to better "read" body language.

When I'm DMing I'd let that work... but it's a little shaky. I could see some DMs disallowing it. :/ It's a hard skill to come up with an irrefutable tool for. (Besides a book. But any skill can have a book.)

Deophaun
2014-04-14, 02:49 AM
It's a hard skill to come up with an irrefutable tool for.
A polygraph seems like it would work, and it would fit in fine with gnomish engineering.

I'd be cautious about making an easy-to-use Sense Motive item, considering that you really only need to hit a DC 20.

DigoDragon
2014-04-14, 08:13 AM
When I'm DMing I'd let that work... but it's a little shaky. I could see some DMs disallowing it. :/

He's the only DM I've known that had an item availaible for the skill, so I can understand the shakyness. On the flip side I don't see players use Sense motive very often, unless they have a suspicion to not trust a particular NPC (or it's an interrogation).

I'd be cautious about making an easy-to-use Sense Motive item, considering that you really only need to hit a DC 20.

I dislike many of those static DCs. I prefer making them opposed checks versus the target's Bluff, but that's just my style.

Techwarrior
2014-04-14, 08:25 AM
A polygraph seems like it would work, and it would fit in fine with gnomish engineering.

That use of Sense Motive is so open-ended that you can't rely on it being something that any individual DM is going to allow you free reign with. Besides, gaining a hunch takes 'generally at least a minute,' you get a passive Sense Motive check every time someone tries to Bluff you.

Telonius
2014-04-14, 08:38 AM
Very old thread on the topic here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-59970.html); you might search the forums for a few other examples.

My contributions to that one:

Bluff: Masterwork sunglasses.
Diplomacy: Princess Fringle's Guide to Etiquette.
Survival: MW Swiss Army Dagger.
Gather Information: Masterwork Towel.

Inevitability
2014-04-14, 09:06 AM
Not sure if you mean this to be blue...

That's no official rule. If I want things to be the normal color, I can write them that way.

Besides, half my posts would be all blue that way. :smalltongue:

Deophaun
2014-04-14, 12:05 PM
That use of Sense Motive is so open-ended that you can't rely on it being something that any individual DM is going to allow you free reign with.
Free reign? With Sense Motive? That's a first...

Besides, gaining a hunch takes 'generally at least a minute,' you get a passive Sense Motive check every time someone tries to Bluff you.
Bluff is easy to boost into the stratosphere. Sense Motive isn't. While it's all nice to say Sense Motive exists for the opposed Bluff check, in reality the two skills just don't interact with each other. Sense Motive exists to hit fixed DCs, and hunch is its major function. The fact that it can occasionally immediately expose an untalented liar is a minor benefit.

And of course it will take a minute. Do you think you are going to hook someone up to a polygraph machine as a free action?

Killer Angel
2014-04-14, 12:24 PM
Keep in mind that, even if you have all the masterwork tools for any skills, sometimes you cannot apply the bonus.
For example, if your MW tool for knowledge skills is a series of books, and you're fighting a random monster, any knowledge roll won't have the bonus.
After you killed the beast, when you can pick the book from the backpack, you'll have it. :smallwink:

FullStop
2014-04-14, 01:23 PM
Appraise: Jeweler's Loupe
Sleight of Hand: Shirtsleeves with netting sewn on their interior
Use Rope: Some sort of specialized gloves with small retractable hooks, both for pulling parts of knots tight, and being able to uncinch old or wet rope without having to go all Gordium on it.
Jump: Vaulting pole

PsyBomb
2014-04-14, 01:36 PM
For Perform (Comedy), I gave one of my characters a book entitled "1001 Jokes, Insults, and Puns For All Occasions." he has since started keeping track of how many times he's used the tool, stating that after 1001 uses he will have to go get a new one.

... I like that group...

TheCorsairMalac
2014-04-14, 07:40 PM

That's the DC for a hunch. It sounds--is--nice, but isn't a replacement for a true sense motive check.

A hunch about a paladin or guard captain can be a life-saver. But for a lot of NPCs it's not much of a boon.

What if they're a thieves' guild contact? You fail opposed check, but succeed at hunch. You now know that the underworld bruiser is untrustworthy. That's... kind of a given. And it follows suite for captured enemies, politicians and anyone hostile in general.

TheCorsairMalac
2014-04-14, 07:48 PM
I dislike many of those static DCs. I prefer making them opposed checks versus the target's Bluff, but that's just my style.

I think you're doing it the right way. A successful opposed check lets you call their bluff on the spot.

The DC 20 hunch, however, is not a definitive 'this character lied'. It's a general sense of their trustworthiness.

An NPC with a lot of secrets to hide will give a hunch of untrustworthiness about almost any topic. But that does not mean that he is lying at present.

Slipperychicken
2014-04-14, 08:33 PM
The DC 20 hunch, however, is not a definitive 'this character lied'. It's a general sense of their trustworthiness.

This is true.

Hunch
This use of the skill involves making a gut assessment of the social situation. You can get the feeling from another’s behavior that something is wrong, such as when you’re talking to an impostor. Alternatively, you can get the feeling that someone is trustworthy.

That description makes me feel like it should also give some basic social awareness stuff, like "the NPC looks stressed when talking about the kidnapping", "the vendor looks very pleased with the price he's getting", or "The guards are getting annoyed with you, but are trying to hide it to maintain an aura of professionalism".

Deophaun
2014-04-14, 10:04 PM
That's the DC for a hunch. It sounds--is--nice, but isn't a replacement for a true sense motive check.
That is the true Sense Motive check, for the simple reason that Bluff can so far outstrip Sense Motive that, if the DM wants someone to get away with lying to you, they will. Glibness can be put into a potion, for Gygax's sake. (EditL nevermind, I think I was misremembering OotS) That's an easy +30. An untrained, uncharismatic lout now has a better than 50/50 chance of convincing the level 20 Paladin with 23 ranks in SM that he really didn't steal those gems, it was the nice old lady that takes care of the orphans who done it.

If you're trying to play that game, you're going to lose.

TheCorsairMalac
2014-04-15, 12:41 AM
That is the true Sense Motive check, for the simple reason that Bluff can so far outstrip Sense Motive that, if the DM wants someone to get away with lying to you, they will.

If there are easy and massive buffs to Bluff that I'm not aware of then I concede the point. That would make a hunch the best a player could hope for.

Hopefully most DMs try to balance things so they're fair, if challenging.

I like the gnomish polygraph idea. 8D

Killer Angel
2014-04-15, 06:04 AM
Ride - Masterwork saddle

Not that it's so important, but i believe saddle only is not sufficient. Military saddle already gives +2, but it's related only to check about "stay in the saddle"

TheCorsairMalac
2014-04-16, 12:06 AM
Very old thread on the topic here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-59970.html); you might search the forums for a few other examples.

Ah! Excellent! I love it when there's already information on the topic. Thank you!